Engagement of HGD Guillaume & Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy: April 26, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to the happy couple. While Stephanie is not a conventional beauty, she has the breeding, illustrious background and education to bring a variety of assets into her marriage and the royal family. She seems an engaging and personable young lady, important qualities to have. Guillaume has made a wise choice and I really look forward to their wedding.

Agree - I myself find her attractive - though the camera does not totally 'like' her. I suspect she is lovely in person. However, no matter any of that, she clearly has poise and self-confidence and knows how to carry herself. For some reason I detect in the unforgiving glare of the camera's eye a sweetly gentle soul, and grounded to boot!

We now know about the Lannoy's, but what about Stepanie's mother's side? I take it that her mother is also a noble in her own right, but does anyone know anything about her mother's side of the family. I love to hear about them. Her mother is so distinguished.

Fascinating information Marengo. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us! The Hapsburgs were also--I believe---a Burgundian family. Since her family dates back so far, does she have any relation to the Hapsburgs? Hard to believe that a family as illustrious as her's wouldn't. I know that her grandmother is a Princess of Ligne. How many other royals, kings, princes, etc.. does she have in her family? Isn't she also a descendant of William the Taciturn just like Guillaume is?

I can't see any quick relation to the Habsburgs, but if we dig deep enoguh I am sure we will be able to find something. Throught the de Lignes she descends from Johan VI of Nassau Dillenburg and Elisabeth of Leuchtenberg, the former being a brother of William the Taciturn.

Rayarena said:
We now know about the Lannoy's, but what about Stepanie's mother's side? I take it that her mother is also a noble in her own right, but does anyone know anything about her mother's side of the family. I love to hear about them. Her mother is so distinguished.

The della Faille family (ennobled in 1562) are quite well known in Belgium too,. Several mayors of Antwerp came from this family and traditionally they were involved with banking. A cousin, Katia della Faille married to count Thierry de Limburg Stirum, the eldest son of princess Helene of France. Countess Katia ( a former model) is a polician who was elected in 2007 for a seat in parlament for Louvain, in 2010 she was not re elected.

You can trace her mothers genealogy here:
http://www.geneall.net/W/per_page.php?id=163245

Last edited:
Thank you for the videos! They looked so happy and excited at the same time. She has a nice voice.

But, is it just me or do French speakers seem to have a deeper voice?

TBH, I don't see what makes her look so unappealing that we need to comment about it at length. She isn't a Grace Kelly, but very few people are. She seems pleasant and indeed has a very nice smile.

In an interview on VTM Stephanie's father says: I am happy with it, and so are they in Luxembourg so that is perfect'. He hopes that: 'They will continue to appreciate each other as they do now, spontanious and without a fuss. But that is not the style of Guillaume (marengo: the fuss).

Belgische wordt groothertogin Luxemburg | Het Nieuws

Great post, Marengo. After watching this young lady on live video I am definitely a fan...Stephanie appears graceful, poised and natural all at once. Her voice is delightful, it reminds me of CP Mathilde's.

And she and Guillaume seem genuinely happy together..no awkwardness. :)

Who cares if she doesn't resemble a TV starlet? She is lovely, aristocratic, and has the most impressive background of all the current crop of CP's imo(other than Masako of Japan).

Guillaume not only chose with his heart, he has also selected a bride that is a credit to his country and to the House of Nassau-which is frankly more than I can say for some of the current Royal princes and princesses. :ermm:

ETA: By the way, that engagement ring is the last word...very, very beautiful!

Last edited:
I speak french fluently and I didn't detect a single bit of haughtyness in the interview.She seemed quite lovely.

I thought it was just me, seeing something completely different. I am not fluent but I do understand a little French and she seems as far from haughty as one could be...lovely, with a ready smile, a little nervous of course.

She definitely doesn't come off like the girl-next-door, like Mary Donaldson did in her engagement interview. ;)

Stephanie gives off "vibes" of being a young noblewoman, which is great because that is exactly who she is. Why should she pretend otherwise?

She and Guillaume appear besotted with one another. :whistling:

And I think the photos of her above are very flattering...she looks both elegant and pretty.

Last edited:
Wow! I'm impressed. According to Wikipedia the Lannoy family dates back to the 8th century! That's what I call an old and illustrious family! I mean, when you think of someone like the late Princess Diana Spencer, her grand family became ennobled in 1603: that's recent by comparison! Guillaume really chose an impeccable blue blood of exquisite lineage.

The article in French Wikipedia (Maison de Lannoy - Wikipédia) says that the proven lineage of the Lannoy family dates to the 13th century, not the 8th. There are very, very few families who trace their lineage to a time before the 10th century. The Limburg-Stirums are one (dating to the 9th, I believe), and by some accounts perhaps the Habsburgs. At any rate I am pretty sure that the Limburg-Stirums are the oldest family in Belgium, and even they can't be traced back to the 8th century.

Last edited:
What appeals to me about the young Countess, is that she comes into this fully understanding what's required of the life she is about to lead. Much like Mathilde of Belgium.

Mary, Maxima, Mette-Marit and Letizia have all had to accustom themselves with the fundamentals of elite society, wheres as Stéphanie and Mathilde were born of it.

Last edited:
So she's not a conventional beauty, like MT, Mary, Maxima or Letizia - why is it an issue when it shouldn't be at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
So she's not a conventional beauty, like MT, Mary, Maxima or Letizia - why is it an issue when it shouldn't be at all?

From a post made earlier by another member, I elaborated on that specific topic. And as for being an issue? It is an opinion, and one I've chosen to express openly...

Do we not comment on peoples clothes, hair, jewellery, lineage etc for our own conversational amusement and preference? What's the harm in making mention of, or talking about, an indaviduals appearance as long as it is done in a respectful manner and not out of spite? There's no inclination for malice whatsoever and nor should there be.

By all accounts the Countess appears very content with how she looks so kudos for that! I'm not suggesting she should feel anything other than pride and self respect for the person that she is (so I would surmise).

Last edited:

Very nice. Definitely a beauty - the videos show that (unlike the stills in bad lighting). Definitely a beauty and she is likely very much more so in person. He seems beside himself with pride of her, as has been commented (as though he can't believe his good fortune - a nice way for the groom to feel) - and she takes his earnest attentiveness on her in her stride (perhaps it was settling her - the photo-op seemed nerve-wracking, having to show affection and walking and so on - why do they insist on that?).

I am intrigued with her - wonder what is her education, her work (if any), etc.

She is going to be a gorgeous bride - and looking at her choices in clothes I can already guess she will be a well-dressed one as well.

Last edited:
I agree with you, Tilia. Whereas to others Stéphanie may have appeared haughty in the video, to me she sounded intelligent, substantial, and certainly like someone who is trying to do her best and not to make mistakes. In the photographs her parents look like serious, reserved people; also, the fact that she comes from the old nobility of Belgium does not mean that she is used to public scrutiny. Quite the contrary. The higher ranks of the Belgian nobility are known for not often "mixing" with non-nobles in social settings - never mind the press - although of course this is changing. In short, dealing with media attention must be very new to her.

She was of course a bit nervous here, which is natural and even charming under the circumstances. And so was Guillaume! I thought that I could sense his anxiety in how much he was stroking Stéphanie's back while she was speaking to the press.

The only false note, to my eye, was in the look that she gave him at the very end of the video, after he lovingly brushed off a speck of something above her cheek. Was there a bit of contempt in her look? I hope not. But this is such a fleeting impression, and it is entirely unwarranted to draw conclusions from it. They appear to be delighted, well matched in education and religious values, and I wish them a very long and happy life together.

If I remember the other engagements from todays Crown Princesses, they all were nervous. MM was shy, Mary did not laugh and looked sooo serious(nerves?), Maxima looked completely "different" with her hair up and Letizia talked too long ;)..... so give her time to become more comfortable with her role.
If suddenly 1000 cameras are focussing on you, this may be a really new situation for many people.
BYe Bine

I agree with you, Tilia. Whereas to others Stéphanie may have appeared haughty in the video, to me she sounded intelligent, substantial, and certainly like someone who is trying to do her best and not to make mistakes. In the photographs her parents look like serious, reserved people; also, the fact that she comes from the old nobility of Belgium does not mean that she is used to public scrutiny. Quite the contrary. The higher ranks of the Belgian nobility are known for not often "mixing" with non-nobles in social settings - never mind the press - although of course this is changing. In short, dealing with media attention must be very new to her.

She was of course a bit nervous here, which is natural and even charming under the circumstances. And so was Guillaume! I thought that I could sense his anxiety in how much he was stroking Stéphanie's back while she was speaking to the press.

The only false note, to my eye, was in the look that she gave him at the very end of the video, after he lovingly brushed off a speck of something above her cheek. Was there a bit of contempt in her look? I hope not. But this is such a fleeting impression, and it is entirely unwarranted to draw conclusions from it. They appear to be delighted, well matched in education and religious values, and I wish them a very long and happy life together.

I saw it, too - as no doubt the videographer/editor did which was why it was left in - an intriquing moment and inexplicable if it is as you suggest given all that has gone before. If you watch the video she was continually casting glances towards him to verify his cues to her - and she was absolutely in sync with his physicality with her throughout.

LINK: Erbgroßherzog Guillaume und Stéphanie de Lannoy zeigen sich auf Schloss Berg - YouTube

Because it is an intriguing moment I watched the split seconds in slow-mo :D and its actually an intense moment of intimacy between them - her tongue actually comes out between her lips, she is leaning in, her glance is side-long and smoky, her eyes responding to him - when he, utterly focused on her with a warm smile, touches her. Its a lover's moment - and she smiles and then leans away from his ardour but in doing so bows her head to him (as a lover) and then looks away back to the front. At no time is he displeased with her - he remains intent - but she has successfully pulled herself back into the moment which is a photo-shoot. The impression of 'contempt' is the impact her face has from a certain angle which happens as she turns to face forward - you see the angle that is her least flattering. (I wager that it will be this angle that gets endlessly interpreted in years to come). But if you watch her eyes in the fade out that comes in rapidly, she is actually basking under his gaze, and she is not displeased.[LATER: On another viewing I realized that she actually directly makes 'eye contact' with the camera just after he touches her and just before she begins to draw away - that's when she brings down her eyes and begins the pull-away while still bowing her head to him.]

Or - the simpler explanation - the photographer was calling to them to face forward and look into the camera. Ha! :p

Thank you. :flowers: Doesn't reveal a whole lot. Seems she was an advanced student, doing interesting student studies while she dated - and now she will marry. So its all ahead of her.

LATER: Someone has indicated that she has been done with her studies and been working for a bank for the past year.

Last edited:
Scorpio and Aquarius? Something tells me this marriage will be a turbulent one. :)

As a literature and music fan I like Stephanie's CV and interests but I must admit I am not sure what to think of her yet. She seemed friendly and intelligent when she talked to the press. But sometimes she has a look in her eyes which I don't find pleasant (in the first pics as well as during the press meeting). But Guillaume seems over the top with happiness, so I give her the benefit of the doubt.

I don't like her engagement outfit and the way she walked down the stairs from the terrasse (in the beginning of the video) was just sooo unelegant. But I guess she will learn.

You guys I don't know where you see that she's a haughty person, to me she looks shy, not at ease, and Guillaume was showing her his support, trying all the time to make her feeling comfortable. Also I don't think that anybody who spent one year studying in Russia, and later in Belgian universities will be given the occasion to practice his haughtiness even if he wants, nobody takes care there who you are even if you were a Royal.....I myself spent several years on studies in both countries, and know how people are there...

As for her looks and beauty, I agree that what she was wearing was not that good, but we forgive her, she will learn and she will have her proper style. Talking about beauty, she's beautiful, in the classical sense of cold beauty: tall, slim...(she reminds me a little of Lalla Salma's of Morocco beauty), but she's not attractive or appealing, in the sense that you don't (at least me) want to stare on her face like on warm beauties (Mary, Kate, Charlotte, Lalla Soukaina or Mathilde...)

Last edited:
I get no sense of haughtiness, just perhaps reserve and uncertainty before cameras and the press. When you're unaccustomed to being the center of attention and thrust before the media, I don't know how else you can act. The way Guillaume was rubbing on her back as she was speaking was definitely a gesture of support and encouragement. As well, she comes from a noble house so she has that in-bred reserve of how to behave before the public, I'm sure, so that could be another reason. She has a lovely speaking voice, by the way.

Last edited:
Invite every royal household

Perhaps they could at least invite every royal household reigning and non reigning like Their Imperial & Royal Highness Prince Georg Friedrich & Princess Sophie of Prussia, Her Imperial Highness Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia & son, His Royal Highness Prince Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou and his wife, Margarita, the Duchess of Anjou, Crown Princess Margarita & husband for Romania, both the Duke of Aosta and the Prince of Naples for Italy, the Greek Royal Family, etc etc... I mean it's been awhile since a wedding where there was a whole gathering of European Royals, every head of Imperial & Royal houses were present and this was at the wedding of the Prince & Princess of Asturias.

I've got 'Philippe&Mathilde' vibe from them, they're happy, smiling a lot but are also a bit reserved, it's clear that both are from old aristocratic house who have own rules how to behave and cope with the media. On the photos Stephanie was a little stiff but videos show that she's very nice, confident woman. Now her life changed dramatically but I'm sure that she has great advisors around her, like her fiance and GD couple.

The fact that she isn't a conventional beauty certainly doesn't make her less beautiful, why should all Princesses look the same? I think that Stéphanie is breathtaking and I definitely see why Guillaume is besotted with her.

I agre with agami.pearl.
It is interesting to see pictures of Mathilde the day of her engagement and nowadays.
What a difference about her look , her attitude and her behavior in the royal house of Belgium.

Are you sure that's where they will live? When Henri and Maria Teresa were a young crown prince couple they had their own home, as did Jean and Josephine-Charlotte.

The grand ducal court has stated that they will live at Berg.

The fact that she isn't a conventional beauty certainly doesn't make her less beautiful, why should all Princesses look the same? I think that Stéphanie is breathtaking and I definitely see why Guillaume is besotted with her.

Talking about myself, I don't think she's not a conventional beauty, she's beautiful, she has all the critereas of the classical beauty, but she's not attractive. There's a difference between being attractive, having appeal, and being beautiful...and I don't think that there's people who think thant she has to look like other beauties. I am sure she has a nice and beautiful personality, otherwise, don't think that Guillaume who comes into being a nice person, will be attracted by her.

Are you sure that's where they will live? When Henri and Maria Teresa were a young crown prince couple they had their own home, as did Jean and Josephine-Charlotte.
They'll live in Berg Castle with Henri and M-T. Berg is big enough for both pairs, especially that the rest of the children lives abroad now.
Henri and M-T first lived in some villa and after death of GD Charlotte they moved into Fischbach Castle, when Jean and J-C resided in Berg Castle. After Jean's abdication they switched the castles and now Jean lives in Fischbach and GD family in Berg. Luxemburgian constitution states that official residences of the GD are Berg Castle and Grand Ducal Palace in Luxembourg.

They'll live in Berg Castle with Henri and M-T. Berg is big enough for both pairs, especially that the rest of the children lives abroad now.
And when do they live now?

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is an arranged marriage? I do and here are some reasons why:

-Guillaume is 30, I'm sure he was pressured to get married and have heirs very soon and with no other prospects and having dating normal people out of the question, Stephanie was the best choice.
-Their families are obviously close, heck they are even related!
-Stephanie's parents are getting up in age, especially her father, it doesn't even look like he might last too much longer.
-Stephanie is pushing 30 and who knows if she has any prospects.
-Again, her father is old I'm sure he would like to see his last child off and married before he kicks the bucket.
-Her pedigree is very impressive.
-I'm sure she is drama free and Henri and M-T are probably glad they won't have anymore of that after Tessy and Louis.
-And finally they have not been dating that long, I honestly don't think they know each other that well. (BTW dating is different than being friends)

These are just a few points that I have noticed, also they don't look that in love to me. They look nervous and giddy but that is to be expected when all this hoopla is going on and you haven't know the person that long. I think when everything settles down and they get into the swing of royal life it will be tough for both of them. I don't see the spark lasting that long like I see it still in Henri and M-T. I feel this is not the best choice for Guillaume and that it will not be the perfect marriage but like Stephanie's father said "They are happy and Luxembourg is happy" so I guess that's all that matters, that the state has the heir married off. I hope it works out.

Last edited:
And when do they live now?
Alexandra and Sebastien are studying in USA, Alex - psychology and social sciences, Seb - marketing and communication. Louis and family live in England, he and Tessy are studying there too. Felix lives in Italy, he was or still studying bioethics there.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is an arranged marriage? I do and here are some reasons why:

-Guillaume is 30, I'm sure he was pressured to get married and have heirs very soon and with no other prospects and having dating normal people out of the question, Stephanie was the best choice.
-Their families are obviously close, heck they are even related!
-Stephanie's parents are getting up in age, especially her father, it doesn't even look like he might last too much longer.
-Stephanie is pushing 30 and who knows if she has any prospects.
-Again, her father is old I'm sure he would like to see his last child off and married before he kicks the bucket.
-Her pedigree is very impressive.
-I'm sure she is drama free and Henri and M-T are probably glad they won't have anymore of that after Tessy and Louis.
-And finally they have not been dating that long, I honestly don't think they know each other that well. (BTW dating is different than being friends)

These are just a few points that I have noticed, also they don't look that in love to me. They look nervous and giddy but that is to be expected when all this hoopla is going on and you haven't know the person that long. I think when everything settles down and they get into the swing of royal life it will be tough for both of them. I don't see the spark lasting that long like I see it still in Henri and M-T. I feel this is not the best choice for Guillaume and that it will not be the perfect marriage but like Stephanie's father said "They are happy and Luxembourg is happy" so I guess that's all that matters, that the state has the heir married off. I hope it works out.

I agree nearly completely with you, nothing would convince me that this is a love match. But I am sure they could be rather good partners and friends, Stephanie looks like a young woman coming from different epoch, she is of noble background and knows how to behave in a classy mood in her role of the future Grand Duchess.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is an arranged marriage? I do and here are some reasons why...
I thought Guillaume looked totally in love with his fiancée, especially in the short video of their engagement interview.
Stephanie was a bit more reserved, which is quite understandable since all the media attention must be a new experience to her.
Grand Duke Henri and Maria Teresa have already proven (with their own union) that what matters most to them is love, not breeding; surely they wished the same for their son and wouldn't push him to find a "suitable" wife?

As for Louis and Tessy, their union might have been controversial due to the circumstances, but the way the Grand Ducal Family, and especially the young couple, handled the whole affair surely earned them even more respect?

Mind you, I don't think arranged marriages are necessarily all that bad; if a couple knows and likes each other, come from similar background and have a lot in common, they might well be a very good match even if there are not madly in love.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom