Engagement of HGD Guillaume & Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy: April 26, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you listen to the video interview, he says he's known her about 5 years, met in a group of friends, and dated for 2 years. Not met her 6 months ago, and you're 30 and time to "get on with it".
Some people have such imaginations. Just read or listen to the facts, right from the "horse's mouth".
And yes, I am glad a previous poster finally pointed out that although Stephanie is aristocratic, she is not royal. Therefore, his late grandmother may have been more pleased with an aristocrat, rather than an immigrant from another country...
Immigrant is a factual term and shouldn't be taken negatively.

PS Thank you Tyger for the video analysis. I do believe your interpretation is correct.
I for one, would not have been confortable with my fiance displaying so much pda infront of cameras, no matter how much in love!

his late grandmother may have been more pleased with an aristocrat, rather than an immigrant from another country...

Calling someone an immigrant, especially when reflecting upon societal standing (as was the case in this situation), is never articulated in a positive way. It's done so as a means of identifying only differences instead of commonalities. Thus, it's a fine line between 'factual terms' and xenophobia, acceptance and judgement.

Infact, it's well known that there was little love lost between the two.

Last edited:
PS Thank you Tyger for the video analysis. I do believe your interpretation is correct.
I for one, would not have been confortable with my fiance displaying so much pda infront of cameras, no matter how much in love!

Thank you. :flowers: I could also be all wet ;) but it's such a puzzling moment in an otherwise very clear impression.

I think that was exactly what was happening for her (possibly) in that moment - how you would have reacted to your fiance was how she was reacting but after she realized the camera was pointed directly at them.

I made another viewing (she is really quite charming - they both are) and in that slow-mo viewing I realized that she actually directly makes 'eye contact' with the camera just after he touches her and just before she begins to draw away - that's when she brings down her eyes and begins the pull-away, while still bowing her head to him. If there is a look of discomfiture it may actually be for the camera and not her fiance who she remains smiling towards, which is clear to me in the slow-mo.

Last edited:
I am amazed that the speculation about this being an arranged marraige hasn't been nipped in the bud by the moderators. There is no foundation whatsoever for these claims and I am sure that the newly engaged couple would find them deeply offensive. If one remarks on these forums, without an official announcement, that a Princess even looks pregnant we receive warnings to stop rumours so I would expect more censure on this sort of conjecture.

I agree. He said it was love at first for him and the timing seems to have just been off for them in the beginning. He referred to them having met 5 yrs ago back in November, so it has been over 5 1/2 yrs meaning she was still probably in university (most take at least 4 yrs) when they met while she was home on break or for the summer and probably not looking for so long distance a relationship. As she graduated, she moved home and would have seen him on more social occassions such as Xenia's wedding and gotten to know him better and again the timing could have been off since he was romantically linked to other women in this period. It may have taken til 2 yrs ago for the timing to be right with them both finally single possibly. This does not at all seem to have played out like an arrangement. It is no different than anybody else really meeting their future spouse at mutual's friend's party, becoming first friends and eventually more. This has played out like most relationships except they happen to be in a circle of friends that is royal/noble.

If there is a look of discomfiture it may actually be for the camera and not her fiance who she remains smiling towards.

I think any discomfort was from the media and that Guillaume was both nervous himself and trying to alieviate her discomfort with his affection. I think they are in love and he just showed it more cause he is more comfortable with the media.

People are just reading way to much into things or else trying to make it fit into some prefab notions they have that for a royal to marry a noble nowadays it must be arranged or that some royal consorts are really in it more for the clothes and jewellery. I do not get the arrangement or gold digger vibe. Guillaume seems a generally wonderful man that a girl like her could fall in love with, and they have similar interests and seem well matched.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all very amusing. For the last decade people have moaned and groaned about princes, and princesses, falling in love and marrying commoners. Some even suggested that these royal heirs should have put their duty to their dynasties ahead of emotions like love and married a girl/boy from a proper royal/noble background and hope that affection developed later. Now we have a prince, who says it was love at first sight, becoming engaged to an attractive young lady from an aristocratic family and some people now say it can't possibly be a love match and it must have been arranged. It would appear that no matter who an heir decides to marry there will always be those who second guess the reasons and claim to know better than the couples involved. Sad really.

Well said.
On first glance, she seems to be a nice lady and it is completely up to Guillaume to decide, what attracted him to her.
I am a little bit shocked about the comments about her looks - because this is not a beauty contest - it is an engagement. And by this, I am not making any judgement about her physical appearance, just trying to make a point about what really matters - and this is the feelings about two people who have decided to get married.
Hope my fellow posters will agree.

An engagement is a very happy event in the royal families and here it is about the future
Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

Why writing threads and threads about arranged marriage, comment about her looks,
coming back to MT engagement etc...

I agree with Countess Felicitas

Are the moderators on Holiday ?

I don't think there's much point in debating whether this is an arranged marriage or not. One thing I think we all know is that, even if it has been arranged, none of the major players are likely ever to confirm it.

Does anyone know any more about the engagement ring? Is it new or part of a family collection?
I think any talk about an "arranged" marriage is ridiculous so i'm ignoring it.

To me the ring looks very, very new. It's in a very current style, similar to the kind of engagement ring that's popular among celebrities and Hollywood types.

As long as opinions and discussions are respectfully articulated, then I think certain people need gather some perspective. This is a disucssion forum where by opinions and thoughts are openly expressed.

Should the discussion transcend too far, then believe you me, the moderating body will let us know.

As for comments about her appearance, I see nothing wrong with that. I don't believe anyone has been disrespectful or rude in their observations. As stated in an earlier post, we discuss the clothes, hair, jewellery, and upbringing of these people and yet some protest that making mention about an indaviduals' physical appearance is surprising and not appropriate. It's nonsense and dare I suggest somewhat hypochritical. There is hardly a person in the world who could honestly say that he or she has never made comment about anothers physical appearance in one way or another. Indeed, this forum alone see's members comment on peoples ages, how bad or how well they are ageing and what their complexions are like. There's even polls that encourage people to exercise their opinion in determining who they think has the best body and who is the most beautiful royal woman according to them. There's really nothing wrong with voicing an opinion about someone elses appearance as long as there is no malice or intent to offend.

It's in a very current style

Revived Art Deco. It is lovely exmaple.

Last edited:
She looks like a very sweet and lovely lady to me. She has beautiful natural smile.
I agree with "countess felicitas" and find some commenting quite offensive.

Most pleasant 'royal' surprise in ages, congratulations!!!!!! :flowers: Stephanie is certainly a breath of fresh air, she may not be a striking beauty, but she's very cute and most importantly, aristocratic! ;)
I have high hopes for these two and I am looking forward to this wedding!

I have to agree with the previous posters -- are the moderators on holiday? This incessant talk about arranged marriage and the term "immigrant" is a bit much, isn't it?

I used the term immigrant because, as an American, I live in a country of immigrants and don't think of it as a negative term. The fact that anyone would interpret it as a negative term is a strong indicator of where they stand on the topic of "immigrants" vs. "natives." Geez ...

Let's get over it and focus on what's important -- what the gown will look like, what tiara she will wear, and what the guests will wear!

Has the wedding date been announced? If it is this year, I'm going to assume that it's not in the summer --- too much going on ... QEII's Jubilee, the Olympics.

Al Bina, I agree that there isn't strong evidence that love provides a better foundation for a lasting marriage than an "arrangement." Some arranged marriages work very well indeed.

However, perhaps one reason that arranged marriages have gotten a negative connotation in the west is because they have traditionally been made with complete disregard for the wishes - and the wellbeing - of the young woman in question. Sometimes the groom, especially if he is a powerful man, gets to say if he "likes" the bride (i.e., finds her attractive), but the woman is given no voice at all. She could be forced to marry someone she finds completely repulsive. In many places her marriage could result in very brutal abuse, and yet she has no right to determine the course of her own life. So I can't agree when you say that "there is nothing wrong with an arranged marriage."
IMO, we cannot equate an arragned marriage today in the Western world with what uesd to happen the past. I 100% agree that in the past arranged marriages were often sad stories, but Stephanie is very different from a 18th or 19th century woman. She educated herself and found a good job and finally got engaged in her late 20's, she didn't stay at her parents' chateau after completing school , waiting for a proper groom that the parents would choose for her. If this union is arranged (which I really think is possible) then I doubt Stephanie De Lannoy could be forced into it in today's world -perhaps the environment she grew up directed her into this kind of marital choice, but I believe it was her choice. I have seen the video and I honestly believe they have affection and feelings for one another , and that they made a mutual decision after understanding one another. These sounds like a good basis to start a marriage to me
BTW , I love her engagement ring ! It's a wonderfull style , but, after seeing her hand and finger, IMO it should be just a little smaller :p

How do you think, will the wedding be aired online by RTL or maybe some other channels?

You know I have been reading the posts and it makes me a little angry at that people would say arranged marriage or that she is not all as she should be... We shouldn't judge a book by its cover, give the young lady a chance. It is not waht we think but what Gullaume thinks and what thier families think.

I think she is perfect for him, sure she is not all your favorite or that she is not held up in the high standards as Duchess of Cambridge but she will do well. Have a little faith

Stephanie doesn't have to win any beauty prizes. They suit one another in terms of looks, IMO. Of course, it's natural for Guillaume's fans to feel disappointed, this is totally understandable.
And why an 'arranged' marriage? Didn't they date for two years?

:previous: I agree that there was no need to talk about such as stuffs, it's their day, and what had been said here is only in level of gossips, and there's no need to talk in their place, they said they met and it was love from first sight, so what else, arranged marriage or not, it's not our business. They seem happy together, good for them. Why some people need to write novels???

How do you think, will the wedding be aired online by RTL or maybe some other channels?

For sure the wedding will be aired by RTL and Belgian channels. They always aire royal wedding, so they won't miss for sure the occasion to aire the wedding of a Royal from Luxemburg, and a Belgian Countess. Maybe french channels also will aire it.

i dont think it was arranged!!! it was love and it developed, it happens that Stephanie is a countess and with an excelent aristocratic family background, of course that is a plus, but if he wanted to marry another girl that would be no problem.

despite my opinion that i dont find Stephanie the ideal faced-beauty, she has a special charm, educated, a very appyling average face who we easily would not forget, and she's very attractive!!! love her body estructure!!!

for her being noble, im soooo happy actually because its been awhile since we had an heir to throne marry someone with similar kind of positions in society, im so thrilled for this wedding!!!!!!! i hope he will invite almost all of his european royal mates, at least he has been invited to several wedding heirs, birthday parties, christenings and enthronements^^
so i except a feedback

-I'm sure she is drama free and Henri and M-T are probably glad they won't have anymore of that after Tessy and Louis.
Where you see drama when it comes to them? That they had a child first and got married later? Many couples now do so and nobody is shocked! (In the Occidental culture, at least). The most important is that they really love each other and are mature and responsible parents.

for her being noble, im soooo happy actually because its been awhile since we had an heir to throne marry someone with similar kind of positions in society, im so thrilled for this wedding!!!!!!!

Me, too. I'm also happy because Stephanie could add some serious jewellery to the Lux Crown Jewels from her family's vaults. I feel so ready to be dazzled by all the bling!!!! :wub::kiss:

...because Stephanie could add some serious jewellery to the Lux Crown Jewels from her family's vaults

I doubt that she could add some serious jewellery to the already breathtaking Luxembourgish collection. She is afterall the youngest of 8 children and so any substantial jewellery belonging to her mother would I'm sure be left to her older siblings, especially in light of her imminent future and a secured life of heightened wealth and privilege.

However, her parents may wish to purchase her some jewellery as a wedding present which is not at all uncommon amongst the aristocracy.

Last edited:
She is afterall the youngest of 8 children and so any substantial jewellery belonging to her mother would I'm sure be left to her older siblings, especially in light of her imminent future and secured life of heightened wealth and privilege.

You got confused. This is what happened to Mary Donaldson.;) :flowers:

I think she is perfect for him, sure she is not all your favorite or that she is not held up in the high standards as Duchess of Cambridge but she will do well. Have a little faith

I think you walk on shaky ground drawing comparisons in any direction. In many ways - Stephanie is a unique comer and I suspect she will set her own standard.

There are several reasons to find Stephanie appealing - for one, she understands make-up - not a minor matter. As well, there is a naturalness and warmth in her bearing, combined with an aristocratic reserve (politeness) and self-confidence stemming from extensive education and experience in the world, that make her a model for others, even brand-new out of the chute and nervous for the first time in front of a barage of cameras and intrusive questions.

She will be setting the standard bar, I suspect, very soon. She is really quite charming.

Last edited:
You got confused. This is what happened to Mary Donaldson.

No, I'm not confused at all.

The Crown Princess of Denmark, like all other reigning European Crown Princesses (besides the Duchess of Brabant who although untitled, was a member of the nobility) were in the same position. They all entered a world of granduer beyond that of which they were born. Naturally it was a life changing experience for them in every way.

Stéphanie is a Countess of noble blood and is to become a royal consort with the style and distinction of an HRH; a designation she otherwise would not have held.

As such, her prospects of a priveleged life beyond that which she has otherwise known in her own right, are again improved.

Last edited:
I would say that the fact that Stéphanie seems to be secure enough about how she looks and haven't rushed to a plastic surgeon to "remodel" her face before the engagement (as it seems as some other royal ladies have done) to become the flawless classical beauty some of the posters seems to think a princess should look like, is for me something refreshing. To be secure with herself and how she looks even when knowing that she will be photographed and her looks commented by people shows a strong character which I think is more important than a "perfect" face.

I think what most of you are forgetting is this is MY opinion and how I see it. I didn't say anything disrespectful, I respect all of your comments and I don't try to tare them down. You have your opinions and are free to express them just like I am. Plus I didn't say there was anything wrong with arranged marriages, for some it works for them. The end, now I hope you all can jump off the bandwagon.

Do have to admit that is my favourite engagement ring of a royal, Mary's has been pushed to second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom