The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephram View Post
German TV channel ZDF will definitely broadcast the wedding just like they did for Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Albert II.

But what is the exact date of the wedding?
Do you have a source for the broadcast? I am not sure if the wedding will be broadcasted live in Germany! Here in Germany the Grandducal Family of Luxemburg is not the most known royal family!

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Wow, what a surprise, I am a bit late to the thread, good luck to the new couple, they seem to be very well matched and look lovely together. Cant wait for the wedding, it will be one of the few remaining A List events remaining until the new royal crop gets into gear what will take two decades. They both look a bit awkward so to say what makes them very likable to me.

In terms of arranged marriage, I cant understand the underlying negativity. If it was arranged in the sense that both were encouraged the move in the same circles then fine. If in time a relationship develops what is wrong with that. Nobody captured Stephanie and brought her to the palace, pointed a gun at Guillaume and said Now you marry her or else.
Haha, I just saw it in front of me.....

Ok, for me she is no striking beauty either, but who sais, that this is a must for a reigning house? And I think, she has something, so we´ll see how she develops.

Regarding arranged marriage: I have seen some videos and the way how they touched, kissed and embraced each other I do not see, that this marriage is an arranged one. Exactly as Duke sais: you may pay attention, that your son is in the right circles, but then you still have to fall in love, and it seems, this was the case here. So Congrats to the happy couple.

Cannot wait for the wedding, last "heir to a reigning house" wedding!

BYe Bine

Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Courtier

I hope I'm not true but looking at the general reception of this news across various the Internet I am afraid that this wedding would not get as much coverage as it is expected like the previous weddings of other heirs of the thrones. I'm still hoping many will cover though. I have emailed CNN, BBC and Aljazeera to provide live telecast. I don't know how would they respond.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Do you have a source for the broadcast? I am not sure if the wedding will be broadcasted live in Germany! Here in Germany the Grandducal Family of Luxemburg is not the most known royal family!
I'm also not sure they will broadcast it live here. Let's hope so. ZDF broadcasted also the Wedding of Prince Philippe and Prince Laurent of Belgium live and usually there is not much in the belgian Royals here. In the Docs they usually leave it out.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post

- Most importantly, the couple looks very in love to me... especially him. He has declared publicly that, in his case, it was love at first sight. And, from looking at the videotape, I believe him.
I totally believe him. He seemed to be bursting with happiness. They don't appear to be dating that long. Well, it doesn't take everyone nearly nine years to make up their minds ask someone to marry them. !! Hello, William. !!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephram View Post
I hope I'm not true but looking at the general reception of this news across various the Internet I am afraid that this wedding would not get as much coverage as it is expected like the previous weddings of other heirs of the thrones. I'm still hoping many will cover though. I have emailed CNN, BBC and Aljazeera to provide live telecast. I don't know how would they respond.
The BBC certainly won't broadcast it; they don't broadcast any royal weddings except the big British ones. The other European royal families are essentially unknown to 99% of the British public.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to the whole family! Stephanie seems very sweet young women!Thye seems very happy and in love! I am happy for them!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Aristocracy

its nice for the both of them i wish them the best they seem genuinely happy and thats all that matters
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Gentry

I would like to express my view of the situation with the engagement. First of all, I think it is very important to answer about censure This is something very important to think about why people can talk whatever they think in polite way of course before the engagement and why it is necessary to admire everything after. We can open theme for congratulations. We are here to discuss, its very important to let ordinary people to express their positive or negative opinions. The forum I think is great independent source. And you have the right to be yourselves.
Stephanie is smart, speaks several languages, probably reminds him of his grandmother, who was a Belgian princess, he can be sure that the marriage is not because of money and not because of the title, she likes classic music , she has all those manners that is so necessary for the future hereditary grand duchess. She is slim, high, blonde. It is possible he was not looking for beauty,but for a partner. As you can see, there are many pluses. Somebody wrote she is beautifull. Tall, slim, good dress, beautiful makeup and hairdo …but all this doesnt mean beauty. If you`ll say she s beutifull then you never see what is really beautifull girl. She is just very well groomed. Not more not less. I don’t like to speak about these things because I think the main thing is personality but if you speak about her appearance look at her nose, look at her thin lips, eyebrows and eyes. Grooming and beauty are different things. And since she is next hgd her look will be diccussed. But nowadays there is plastic surgery and I think the main thing is character not looks.I think ordinary people in Luxembourg accept her just because they don’t have a chance not to accept as well as grand duke and grand duchess.
I agree with person who said about her look "if you cross my way you`ll regret about this» She has one disadvantage. She is not kind. Its expression of cold arictocratic arrogance Watch the video again, stop and look into her eyes at the end of the video.
Erbgroßherzog Guillaume und Stéphanie de Lannoy zeigen sich auf Schloss Berg - YouTube

No I cant understand whether Guillaume was afraid of girls who want his money and title or he is not down to earth himself and lazy to find not noble person. Remember that even Pia Haraldsen is connected with royal family. If is true its little bit sad. All princes ( Frederick, Fillipe and others) were down to earth enough to marry commoners. Guillaume haven’t made such circumstances when he can find ordinary girl in more ordinary situation. I think many perfect candidates were lacked from the society like previous Mary Donaldson and Mette Marit Hoyby were raised in. Luxembourg needs good simple girl who understand ordinary people, sick, poor people and children. The fact that somebody had better start in life is not a fact that each of you cant learn several languages and manners and all those things that are future princess needs, its only question of little time There are many well educated girls. Stephanie cant understand because as a proverb says « The full stomach doesn’t understand the empty one» There is necessity of person with warm and kind heart to do something really important for society for people. Everybody will respect her but she will never become princess of hearts like Grace Kelly for Monaco or Diana for Great Britain. You know when somebody loves to do smth its always visible. Yes Diana was noble but she was working with children. I never heard anothing like that about Stephanie. When somebody has kind heart its always visible. I don’t feel she is somebody who will bring more positive things into Luxembourg, she is not future princess of hearts. Maria Teresa smiles but I don’t see happiness in her eyes. I think she would love to see simple sweet girl with warm personality even Cuban like her
Girls you all say she is great but think if she count what you think? CP Mary. CP Letizia, CP
Mette Marit and even Duchess Kate( Middleton) are those who are great. I think Kate has improved many things in herself later and she did some charity before the engagement not even being a countess. Lets imagine the situation. I am not black. I can say I understand problems of black people as well as Stephanie can give people illusion she can understand normal people. But only black people can understand what another black people feel about life by 100 percent because of similar circumstances they were born. She is countess herself. I speak about her as a future bride of the sovereign of the state. We have to remember she is not future housewife and love is not only one thing that should be taken into account in this marriage. So she is contess and if she has helped people be sure you know about that. There are many programs where you can help poor people. I don’t mean all those charity events when you see and look. I mean programs when you can help somebody with your hands and events when you can raise money from other participants of the events for some good things like helping people in need. And now I want to ask you 2 questions
1.Charity works tells many things about person. Why is the situation like that with Stephanie?
2. How do you think is Guillaume down to earth or he is like CP of Belgium
And I don’t think this is arranged marriage
Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Nobility

You are right elleann, but never forget:
Luxemburg is a small, extremely rich country and there are just a very few problems. She doesn't really need to understand many (social) problems, because there are not much and Luxemburg is a small country with only a few citizens, so she'll fastly break into it.

But I also know what you mean: when hereditary prince Aloys of Liechtenstein married Sophie both seemed more in love.

We don't know, what links them both together, but may be one day we'll understand.(???)
May be she is just one of those people, who don't like to show her feelings in public ( like me f.ex.)

What I don't understand is, how distanced her family behaves ( her mother looks like she has a dentist appointment in a few minutes) and his family looks also, if it's just another state visit (or may be they have only one face/look for public ?)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

M. T. smiles but I don’t see happiness in her eyes....no comment !
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleann View Post
I agree with person who said about her look "if you cross my way you`ll regret about this» She has one disadvantage. She is not kind. Its expression of cold arictocratic arrogance Watch the video again, stop and look into her eyes at the end of the video.

I think many perfect candidates were lacked from the society like previous Mary Donaldson and Mette Marit Hoyby were raised in. Luxembourg needs good simple girl who understand ordinary people, sick, poor people and children. The fact that somebody had better start in life is not a fact that each of you cant learn several languages and manners and all those things that are future princess needs, its only question of little time There are many well educated girls. Stephanie cant understand because as a proverb says « The full stomach doesn’t understand the empty one» There is necessity of person with warm and kind heart to do something really important for society for people. Everybody will respect her but she will never become princess of hearts like Grace Kelly for Monaco or Diana for Great Britain. You know when somebody loves to do smth its always visible. Yes Diana was noble but she was working with children. I never heard anothing like that about Stephanie. When somebody has kind heart its always visible. I don’t feel she is somebody who will bring more positive things into Luxembourg, she is not future princess of hearts. Maria Teresa smiles but I don’t see happiness in her eyes. I think she would love to see simple sweet girl with warm personality even Cuban like her
Girls you all say she is great but think if she count what you think? CP Mary. CP Letizia, CP
Mette Marit and even Duchess Kate( Middleton) are those who are great. And now I want to ask you 2 questions
1.Charity works tells many things about person. Why is the situation like that with Stephanie?
2. How do you think is Guillaume down to earth or he is like CP of Belgium
And I don’t think this is arranged marriage
Thank You for your opinion,it matters a lot as you're from Luxembourg and one couldn't express it better. I've observed that she is quite cold or reserved, maybe not everyone could become Queen of Hearts. Only time will tell, but I'm sure they'll never become such a symbolic couple of Luxembourg, like are Grand Duke Henri and Maria Teresa.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Royal Highness

And all these girls next door (MM, Mary or Kate) drastically changed their behavior since they joined royal families. How wearing expensive clothes, having long vacations is connected with being 'so close' to normal people problems.
I have feelings that people would be happy if he would choose someone like Pia or Sofia (CP's girlfriend), so 'simple', fun-loving girls, cause noble girl is not-worthy our interest. As much I learn about Stephanie as more I like her. It's well educated girl, multilingual, share the same hobbies with her fiance, there is no scandals connected with her of her family. She reserved, I cannot blame her, being part of RF is not easy but I'm pretty sure that she's right women in right place. She doesn't have to be experienced by hunger or poverty, she must have enthusiasm to take actions against these problems. She reminds me CP Mathilde, from old noble house, quiet but hard-working royal who was able to mix having happy family live with being active in charity field.
Honestly I was surprised that they're already engaged, I was thinking that he'll wait year or two. But Guillamune seems to be responsible man and I'm pretty sure he chose well. I cannot understand why some people already judged her negatively.
About charity work-Stephanie taken part in volunteering missions connected with youth movements. Members of her family are also involved in charity actions. Were other CPss involved in charity before the wedding? Kate was with William for many years and I only remember disco roll event. Not too much for me.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl
And all these girls next door (MM, Mary or Kate) drastically changed their behavior since they joined royal families. How wearing expensive clothes, having long vacations is connected with being 'so close' to normal people problems.
I have feelings that people would be happy if he would choose someone like Pia or Sofia (CP's girlfriend), so 'simple', fun-loving girls, cause noble girl is not-worthy our interest.

Honestly I was surprised that they're already engaged, I was thinking that he'll wait year or two. But Guillamune seems to be responsible man and I'm pretty sure he chose well. I cannot understand why some people already judged her negatively.

Were other CPss involved in charity before the wedding? Kate was with William for many years and I only remember disco roll event. Not too much for me.
Actually Catherine, besides changing her name, hasn't changed an awful lot since marrying last year. She's the same girl she's always been which is probably what makes her so attractive. The same goes for Mary, MM is a different kettle of fish.
I don't think people would be happy if Guillaume married a colour like Sofia. We don't know how long they've been dating to be honest and also, Catherine is not a Crown Princess.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

For those of you stuck on how she looks (and I thought she looked lovely in the video; not super gorgeous but with the exception of Letizia, Ameera and Rania and Madeleine I don't think any of today's royal are naturally stunning), the most famous example of beauty not being everything is in Great Britain. Prince Charles married a very pretty woman but was in love with a rather plain looking woman. That love has lasted through the many many years and sadly, ended 2 marriages and through the death of 1 spouse. Beauty is not a virture; it it's condition that can be inherited or bought. From reading some of the posted views you all seem to be implying that because Stephanie is not stunningly gorgeous Guillaume couldn't possibly be attacted to her on her own. That there must be some kind of arrangement because heaven forbid only pretty people can attact true love. By that standard large portions of the world would never find mate if not arranged.

I saw nothing in the video interview that would give the impression that the match was arranged. Plus I don't assume the royal house is lying when they say they've known each other awhile and have dated for 2 years.JMO
Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Royal Highness

I already can imagine what people would say if Guillaumne would choose absolutely stunning woman with model body and angel face. Then he would be suspected that he choose her only because her look not her character.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

My thoughts on this engagement:
-This is not a love match but a friendship at best.
-Stephanie has the right stuff: noble, blonde, speaks several languages, cultured, etc, but there is something wanting in her whole affect.
-Guillaume gives me the appearance of a boy who is proud because he caught a big fish. It's not so much about Stephanie, but what she represents. I don't think a non-noble girl ever had a chance with him, to be honest.
-COmpatibility reports suggest this is an odd pairing.
-Some posted that in the video of them taking photos and walking, there is evidence of love. I saw Guillaume fawning over Stephanie (stroking his trophy) and Stephanie barely looking his way. When he brushed something out of her face, the look she gave him was dismissive at best.

I know part of the lure of the monarchy is selling a fairy tale or a romance. Although this isn't quite as big of a sham as Charlene and Albert, I'm not falling for the fairy tale love story here either. For the record, I have no issues with arranged marriages. They tend to be more successful than the usual "we married for love" marriages. IMO, this relationship was arranged, set up (likely by Alix de Ligne) and that's fine. I haven't figured out Stephanie's motives yet because she doesn't need his money and she had her own title. I'm not sure a bigger title is her motivation. I don't think love is her motivation either. I don't know what it is. But anyway, he has made his choice and despite my misgivings I wish them the best.

One last thing: look at his mother. That is a troubled woman. Mothers always have a sense of danger for their children, especially when they can't see it. Maria-Teresa sees something amiss with the relationship too. It's written all over her face, even when she's smiling, you can see how forced it is.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
One last thing: look at his mother. That is a troubled woman. Mothers always have a sense of danger for their children, especially when they can't see it. Maria-Teresa sees something amiss with the relationship too. It's written all over her face, even when she's smiling, you can see how forced it is.
I can't. Might need a new pair of glasses if it's "so obvious". Now Stephanie is being reduced to a trophy wife, shocking.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I can't. Might need a new pair of glasses if it's "so obvious". Now Stephanie is being reduced to a trophy wife, shocking.
I really wonder how some people can come out with such as novels. I prefer to laugh than to argument with such as things

No connection...She said (talking in french) in the interview that she started learning luxemburgisch...I am sure she will do very quickly because she speaks German and Flemish who are very close to Luxemburgisch.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

They looked like a very happy couple to me. I don't really read into people's body language. I just want to believe that the intentions are real & hope for the best.

Tags
engagement, hereditary grand duke guillaume, stephanie de lannoy