The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Nobility

She looks like a very sweet and lovely lady to me. She has beautiful natural smile.
I agree with "countess felicitas" and find some commenting quite offensive.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Most pleasant 'royal' surprise in ages, congratulations!!!!!! Stephanie is certainly a breath of fresh air, she may not be a striking beauty, but she's very cute and most importantly, aristocratic!
I have high hopes for these two and I am looking forward to this wedding!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Courtier

I have to agree with the previous posters -- are the moderators on holiday? This incessant talk about arranged marriage and the term "immigrant" is a bit much, isn't it?

I used the term immigrant because, as an American, I live in a country of immigrants and don't think of it as a negative term. The fact that anyone would interpret it as a negative term is a strong indicator of where they stand on the topic of "immigrants" vs. "natives." Geez ...

Let's get over it and focus on what's important -- what the gown will look like, what tiara she will wear, and what the guests will wear!

Has the wedding date been announced? If it is this year, I'm going to assume that it's not in the summer --- too much going on ... QEII's Jubilee, the Olympics.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
Al Bina, I agree that there isn't strong evidence that love provides a better foundation for a lasting marriage than an "arrangement." Some arranged marriages work very well indeed.

However, perhaps one reason that arranged marriages have gotten a negative connotation in the west is because they have traditionally been made with complete disregard for the wishes - and the wellbeing - of the young woman in question. Sometimes the groom, especially if he is a powerful man, gets to say if he "likes" the bride (i.e., finds her attractive), but the woman is given no voice at all. She could be forced to marry someone she finds completely repulsive. In many places her marriage could result in very brutal abuse, and yet she has no right to determine the course of her own life. So I can't agree when you say that "there is nothing wrong with an arranged marriage."
IMO, we cannot equate an arragned marriage today in the Western world with what uesd to happen the past. I 100% agree that in the past arranged marriages were often sad stories, but Stephanie is very different from a 18th or 19th century woman. She educated herself and found a good job and finally got engaged in her late 20's, she didn't stay at her parents' chateau after completing school , waiting for a proper groom that the parents would choose for her. If this union is arranged (which I really think is possible) then I doubt Stephanie De Lannoy could be forced into it in today's world -perhaps the environment she grew up directed her into this kind of marital choice, but I believe it was her choice. I have seen the video and I honestly believe they have affection and feelings for one another , and that they made a mutual decision after understanding one another. These sounds like a good basis to start a marriage to me
BTW , I love her engagement ring ! It's a wonderfull style , but, after seeing her hand and finger, IMO it should be just a little smaller
Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

How do you think, will the wedding be aired online by RTL or maybe some other channels?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Nobility

You know I have been reading the posts and it makes me a little angry at that people would say arranged marriage or that she is not all as she should be... We shouldn't judge a book by its cover, give the young lady a chance. It is not waht we think but what Gullaume thinks and what thier families think.

I think she is perfect for him, sure she is not all your favorite or that she is not held up in the high standards as Duchess of Cambridge but she will do well. Have a little faith
Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Stephanie doesn't have to win any beauty prizes. They suit one another in terms of looks, IMO. Of course, it's natural for Guillaume's fans to feel disappointed, this is totally understandable.
And why an 'arranged' marriage? Didn't they date for two years?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Courtier

I agree that there was no need to talk about such as stuffs, it's their day, and what had been said here is only in level of gossips, and there's no need to talk in their place, they said they met and it was love from first sight, so what else, arranged marriage or not, it's not our business. They seem happy together, good for them. Why some people need to write novels???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
How do you think, will the wedding be aired online by RTL or maybe some other channels?
For sure the wedding will be aired by RTL and Belgian channels. They always aire royal wedding, so they won't miss for sure the occasion to aire the wedding of a Royal from Luxemburg, and a Belgian Countess. Maybe french channels also will aire it.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Royal Highness

i dont think it was arranged!!! it was love and it developed, it happens that Stephanie is a countess and with an excelent aristocratic family background, of course that is a plus, but if he wanted to marry another girl that would be no problem.

despite my opinion that i dont find Stephanie the ideal faced-beauty, she has a special charm, educated, a very appyling average face who we easily would not forget, and she's very attractive!!! love her body estructure!!!

for her being noble, im soooo happy actually because its been awhile since we had an heir to throne marry someone with similar kind of positions in society, im so thrilled for this wedding!!!!!!! i hope he will invite almost all of his european royal mates, at least he has been invited to several wedding heirs, birthday parties, christenings and enthronements^^
so i except a feedback
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
-I'm sure she is drama free and Henri and M-T are probably glad they won't have anymore of that after Tessy and Louis.
Where you see drama when it comes to them? That they had a child first and got married later? Many couples now do so and nobody is shocked! (In the Occidental culture, at least). The most important is that they really love each other and are mature and responsible parents.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
for her being noble, im soooo happy actually because its been awhile since we had an heir to throne marry someone with similar kind of positions in society, im so thrilled for this wedding!!!!!!!
Me, too. I'm also happy because Stephanie could add some serious jewellery to the Lux Crown Jewels from her family's vaults. I feel so ready to be dazzled by all the bling!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...because Stephanie could add some serious jewellery to the Lux Crown Jewels from her family's vaults
I doubt that she could add some serious jewellery to the already breathtaking Luxembourgish collection. She is afterall the youngest of 8 children and so any substantial jewellery belonging to her mother would I'm sure be left to her older siblings, especially in light of her imminent future and a secured life of heightened wealth and privilege.

However, her parents may wish to purchase her some jewellery as a wedding present which is not at all uncommon amongst the aristocracy.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
She is afterall the youngest of 8 children and so any substantial jewellery belonging to her mother would I'm sure be left to her older siblings, especially in light of her imminent future and secured life of heightened wealth and privilege.
You got confused. This is what happened to Mary Donaldson.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Felicity M View Post
I think she is perfect for him, sure she is not all your favorite or that she is not held up in the high standards as Duchess of Cambridge but she will do well. Have a little faith
I think you walk on shaky ground drawing comparisons in any direction. In many ways - Stephanie is a unique comer and I suspect she will set her own standard.

There are several reasons to find Stephanie appealing - for one, she understands make-up - not a minor matter. As well, there is a naturalness and warmth in her bearing, combined with an aristocratic reserve (politeness) and self-confidence stemming from extensive education and experience in the world, that make her a model for others, even brand-new out of the chute and nervous for the first time in front of a barage of cameras and intrusive questions.

She will be setting the standard bar, I suspect, very soon. She is really quite charming.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
You got confused. This is what happened to Mary Donaldson.
No, I'm not confused at all.

The Crown Princess of Denmark, like all other reigning European Crown Princesses (besides the Duchess of Brabant who although untitled, was a member of the nobility) were in the same position. They all entered a world of granduer beyond that of which they were born. Naturally it was a life changing experience for them in every way.

Stéphanie is a Countess of noble blood and is to become a royal consort with the style and distinction of an HRH; a designation she otherwise would not have held.

As such, her prospects of a priveleged life beyond that which she has otherwise known in her own right, are again improved.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

I would say that the fact that Stéphanie seems to be secure enough about how she looks and haven't rushed to a plastic surgeon to "remodel" her face before the engagement (as it seems as some other royal ladies have done) to become the flawless classical beauty some of the posters seems to think a princess should look like, is for me something refreshing. To be secure with herself and how she looks even when knowing that she will be photographed and her looks commented by people shows a strong character which I think is more important than a "perfect" face.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Courtier

I think what most of you are forgetting is this is MY opinion and how I see it. I didn't say anything disrespectful, I respect all of your comments and I don't try to tare them down. You have your opinions and are free to express them just like I am. Plus I didn't say there was anything wrong with arranged marriages, for some it works for them. The end, now I hope you all can jump off the bandwagon.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Do have to admit that is my favourite engagement ring of a royal, Mary's has been pushed to second.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Courtier

Love the ring!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Another photogallery

PPE Agency

Tags
engagement, hereditary grand duke guillaume, stephanie de lannoy