Engagement of HGD Guillaume & Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy: April 26, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are some of the people from Lux worried about this union?

A poster from Lux finds Stephanie cold and even talked about 'aristocratic arrogance'. IMO, there's nothing more refreshing than a true aristo, who also has an aristocratic aura and bearing and who also knows how to carry herself. Besides, this doesn't necessarily mean that Stephanie will look down on the people of her new country. We're going to have to wait and see, of course...
This is why my other point was that there are Princesses, who were born commoners, that have been truly arrogant and haughty towards the people. :flowers:

She looks very cute in the above photo indeed!

Although our opinions about Stephanie are different, the supporters are doing the same thing as the dissenters: looking at photos and videos and coming to a conclusion. None of us is privy to the inner workings of their relationship, but we all have a right to express our opinion (within the rules of this community). I don't see a love match between Guillaume and Stephanie and I have the right to say that. Only time will bear out if my suspicions are true.

I understand the implications of what I said and I will say it again: I think Guillaume had a very specific type of girl he wanted to marry that had less to do with character than appearance. I'm not saying it's good or bad but it is what it is. IMO, Guillaume would not have considered anyone less than a noble for his wife.

Amen! Some people just want this thread to be one sided and that's not the case in real life. Well said my friend, I hope people can be a little more respectful of other people's opinions now.:flowers:

I think everybody is right in his way, that's correct as it's right that the same portray or photo provokes different thoughts and feelings to different people.
The most important is not to offend anybody with our criticism, but the constructive point of view really has the right to be expressed, in oral or written way.
If everybody were delighted by Stephanie, it would have been utopic and vice versa. From opinions of people on forum I think there is a middle golden answer, that this couple anyway like and respect each other. In the end, one could just wish them happinness.

dbarn67 , thank you sooooo much, you've dona a great job!
She's really very lovely young lady.
I think there is a middle golden answer, that this couple anyway like and respect each other. In the end, one could just wish them happinness.
Well said!

My first impressions are: 1) She is better looking than he, 2) the ring is very nice, imposing but not gaudy, 3) she knows how to dress, 4) she appears quite mature, 5) is not used to walking in platformed high heels, 6) has an impish quality about her, 7) she has noble bearing, and 8) appears happy with her decision.

One of my comment was deleted. We can discuss look of famous actress. Why is it not good to discuss look of next hgd in a polite way? She is famous person since she is countess herself. Everybody has to be polite. And personally i think its not arranged marriage but his choice. But i think everybody has the right to express opinion positive or negative one. Because if not it will be very strange that only positive things can be allowed. My opinion its not arranged marriage but all those people who said its arranged had a right to say this i think

Last edited:
But i think everybody has the right to express opinion positive or negative one. Because if not it will be very strange that only positive things can be allowed. And i think everybody has right to tell their opinion.

Indeed, but I think that the moderators are absolutely right in deleting posts that gets too negative and directly rude towards Stéphanie (or any other person for that matter).

Hey elleann! As you're from Luxembourg, would you please tell us how locals react to G and S' engagment?

Indeed, but I think that the moderators are absolutely right in deleting posts that gets too negative and directly rude towards Stéphanie (or any other person for that matter).
Thanks for your opinion, Archduchess Zelia. I think negative comments should be deleted but if its independent source and forum everybody has right to express positive or negative opinion. Otherwise its not freedom of thoughts i think. I think everybody has the right to criticize someone in a polite way. She has many pluses but she also has some things that are not taken into account and this is not only marriage between man and woman, this is marriage to royal family and i dont see the reason why only positive comments should be allowed.
I think that Luxembourg needs queen of hearts like Maria Teresa. the symbolic person. But we have to wait and see her actions and her role as next hgd after the wedding

Thank You,[elleann], for your sincere opinion and all your additional details that you share with us!

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion, Archduchess Zelia. I think negative comments should be deleted but if its independent source and forum everybody has right to express positive or negative opinion. Otherwise its not freedom of thoughts i think. I think everybody has the right to criticize someone in a polite way. She has many pluses but she also has some things that are not taken into account and this is not only marriage between man and woman, this is marriage to royal family and i dont see the reason why only positive comments should be allowed.
I think that Luxembourg needs queen of hearts like Maria Teresa. the symbolic person. But we have to wait and see her actions and her role as next hgd after the wedding

I agree with you, also I can't see how it is possible to judge Stéphanie - positively or negatively - after just one single appearance and a couple of photos, so I guess time will tell :)

I think that Luxembourg needs queen of hearts like Maria Teresa. the symbolic person. But we have to wait and see her actions and her role as next hgd after the wedding.

So sweet to hear a Luxembourger call Maria Teresa, Queen of Hearts! I agree! :luxflag2: :flowers:

KittyAtlanta

My first impressions are: 1) She is better looking than he, 2) the ring is very nice, imposing but not gaudy, 3) she knows how to dress, 4) she appears quite mature, 5) is not used to walking in platformed high heels, 6) has an impish quality about her, 7) she has noble bearing, and 8) appears happy with her decision.

I agree with you on all points. I've often wondered why people thought he was handsome. And, I noticed the sort of impish, maybe tomboyish quality...which I think is appealing. Those high heels did seem to throw her off. And, I appreciate the noble bearing.

If only we will be able to see it here in the U.S. And, of course, I wish them all the best for a blessed marriage.

I agree, MissByrd. I wish we could see the wedding here in the US.

I've become quite taken with her. I see none of the hauteur noticeable in other CPs. Rather - as others have commented - I see humor and sweetness, along with maturity.

I agree with the observation that because she is already a Countess - and comes from that world - there will be no questions or uncertainties about how she acclimates to her role - no minor matter I would think, and on some level, must be comfortable for her future spouse and family and bodes well for the future.

Nicely put. :flowers:

P.S. Not used to wearing platformed high heels walking down tall steps or walking on crunchy walkways. ;) Did you notice that her dress color jived with the colors of some of the blooming flowers in the garden?

Last edited:
Lovely couple, they look very good together!:flowers:

It is odd all the negativity - especially about motivations and all that. Being someone who really analyzed the video in slow-mo I have to say I found her enchanting - and continue to have the impression that she is actually someone with a good sense of humor who bore up well to the first barrage of cameras.

As for mothers' and their eyes - her mother is standing with a husband that we have been told is seriously ailing (and people question how long he will live) and Maria T is sitting beside another very old family member, who may not have been well on that day. The reasons behind reserve on the part of the two mothers could be anything. They are compelled to go through the engagement announcement photo-shoot - but is it possible that as willing as they were, understanding what was necessary, they were concerned about the elderly relatives? We will never know at what sacrifice Stephanie's father traveled to Luxumbourg to be there for her - or what took place just before they walked out to the cameras - families have dramas and it may not be the engagement. Yet even if the mothers are pissed about the pairing - it won't be the first time a mother feels her son could do better or the mother of the bride dislikes the groom. ;)

Henri seemed happy. That should count for something.

Anyway, I think she's lovely - and find comparisons to Kate inexplicable. As pleasant as Kate is - and I do believe she's a pleasant, good-hearted girl - her looks are very much a function of her make-up, hair and excessive thinness - take that away and its quite another matter - whereas Stephanie is very natural in every repsect.

I believe there are only two or three natural beauties on the Princess scene - and they are: Madelaine of Sweden (by a mile), Mette-Marit of Norway (born beauty but also by sheer personality charisma) and Charlene of Monaco (youth and vibrant good health make her stunning).

As for the mention of Diana - there were many who watched Diana at her engagement and found her performance odd and disquieting, believe it or not - such is revisionist history adept at scouring social history clean of all negatives. She was seen as pretty but not beautiful - and many there were who were uneasy about her.

I'm surprised that people haven't noticed that Stephanie is endowed and is definitely a womanly woman when it comes to shape. Bravo for that!
Thank you for your post, ITA.
It was important to mention the elderly and how difficult it may have been to have them all there for the event. Guessing at what is going on in people's heads is fine if you're a mind reader.
I don't recall a poster mentioning Diana's engagment video but imo what was very unsettling about it was the "whatever in love means" response of Charles'.
All Stephanie needs to do is practice walking in those high heels.

I don't know much about this couple, but they look very happy. I wish them the very best.

As for her looks, I don't think it matters. What matters is that they love each other and want to spend their lives together.

I will say though, I find it a bit hypocritical that some posters get upset about the attacks on Stephanie, only to turn around and attack the looks, background or work ethic of other royal ladies. It's not a contest. Each woman brings something special to their royal house and it's sad to see them pitted against one another.

Last edited:
I still recall being a young boy from the country and being excited over Lady Di and Prince Charles and that is how I feel today. I have not followed many royals other than Great Britain until this forum. I now enjoy Many and now happily add Luxembourg to my list. Lets be happy this man and woman have found each other.

What happy news! I wish them all the best. :flowers:

And a royal/noble marriage to boot!

Like many others, I'm curious about Stephanie's gorgeous engagement ring, which would have to be one of my favorites among the royals! I assume that it is not a heirloom but rather a new piece of jewellery...? Have they mentioned anything about it - who made it, if Guillaume selected it, details about the stones (I assume it is all diamonds, but how many)...?

I'm hoping to hear it is a new ring with family diamonds.

M. T. smiles but I don’t see happiness in her eyes....no comment !

I share your perception, Maria-Olivia. Of course we can only speculate, but, as I mentioned earlier, I imagine that it cannot be easy for Maria Teresa to see how thrilled the Luxembourgish court is because an heir to the throne is finally marrying a person of ancient lineage. It must bring back memories of how much she, herself, was devalued and looked down upon for her background. Of course this is purely a guess and - even if there is something to it - there may be other reasons. But I do agree that she seems politely pleased... yet not truly joyful.

Last edited:
Please, people, let's not have them heading for the divorce court due to supposed incompatibility before they even walk down the aisle! I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and taking this as I see it - a young couple in love - and don't want to prejudge them because of quirks, looks, glances or whatever innuendo that's picked up before the cameras and may be misinterpreted. No armchair theories for me.

Last edited:
To be honest it had to be nice to be dating and no one knew. Then the world knows and you take center stage. Lets not fool ourselves in thanking we would take center stage and be perfect at it. Who cares what we thank of him or her it is their happiness that matter.

DukeOfAster said:
To be honest it had to be nice to be dating and no one knew. Then the world knows and you take center stage. Lets not fool ourselves in thanking we would take center stage and be perfect at it. Who cares what we thank of him or her it is their happiness that matter.

Well said. As curious as we all were about Guillaume's dating status, it was nice that they were able to keep it quiet. Unlike the game of will they or when will they get married game with Will & Kate and the press calling her 'waity Katie.'

4Pam said:
Well said. As curious as we all were about Guillaume's dating status, it was nice that they were able to keep it quiet. Unlike the game of will they or when will they get married game with Will & Kate and the press calling her 'waity Katie.'

Thanks for agreeing with me. It comes down to them being happy and they look happy so you have a new fan in this Duke and I can not wait to learn more on this royal family.

It has been exactly one week since the engagement of our dear HGD Guillaume to Countess Stephanie de Lannoy was officially announced. It took me one entire week to also wrap my head around this. On my first post on this thread, I would like to congratulate the happy couple on their engagement. May they have a blissful and endless marriage.

I would not comment on anything concerning arranged marriages nor the personal appearance of Stephanie. In my heart of hearts, the one and only thing that I hope was that Guillaume did not rush himself into this wedding. Please don´t misunderstand, I am absolutely not implying that he does not love her. I think Guillaume is in love with Stephanie and he can see her as the mother of his children...but as much as he is in love with her, I don´t think that he plans to marry her after only a year and a half/ two years of dating. On the occasion of his 30th birthday, Guillaume was asked on an interview if he was dating and if Luxembourg will soon witness a fairytale wedding. He was clear on his answers: that YES, he was dating someone from Belgium, but NO, Luxembourg would have to wait. On this interview, Guillaume definitely gave me the impression that he does not plan to get married until he's at the age of 33-35, because he wants to date this mystery girl from Belgium longer and get to know her better. Mind you, most people would probably counter by saying that they have been friends for 5 years before dating and/or that 2 years of dating is long enough. In my point of view, friendship is different from dating, that's why we gave them two different terms in the first place. Also, 2 years of dating may seem long enough, but that's for the average couple who lives in the same country and spends time with each other almost every day. I highly doubt that is the case between Guillaume and Stephanie, given that he lives in Luxembourg, while she in Belgium and his official duties have been very demanding lately which gives them little time to see each other in person. This is why this engagement came as a big surprise to me, like most of us here at TRF, I believe.

In the end, whether it was a rather hasty decision on the part of Guillaume (due to the present circumstances) or not, they are engaged and are soon to be married. As the saying goes, "it is what it is."Again, congratulations to the happy couple.

Wedding date is set for saturday october 20th.

Wedding date is set for saturday october 20th.
Thank You for information!
Is this date set on the official site?
A little rainy and cold period for Luxembourg or maybe I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom