The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Serene Highness

I think describing the current Grand Duchess as a "Cuban immigrant" conveys an impression of her being some sort of unfortunate when in reality her family was very wealthy and she was very well educated and connected.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I think describing the current Grand Duchess as a "Cuban immigrant" conveys an impression of her being some sort of unfortunate when in reality her family was very wealthy and she was very well educated and connected.
When the Grand Duchess María Teresa Mestre then, met the Hereditary Grand Duke Henri and married him, she was not luxemburgisch, she was a Cuban immigrant in Europe, from a wealthy family or not, it doesn't change facts, I don't see what's wrong with that???

Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Aristocracy

I do not think it is arranged and it did not come out of the blue. The wedding rumours in the forums started in June 2011 after a well connected commentator at national day hinted at a possible engagement soon for Guillaume. He had been saying he'd found his future bride since Christmas 2010. In early Nov2011 he did an interview where he confirmed it but said he was not ready to announce an engagement.He said he knew her 5 yrs, dating 1 1/2 yrs. POV outed Stephanie as the girl. So they are now together 2 yrs.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

That's a good length of time to really get to know each other and for Stephanie to decide if she wanted to assume the role of the future Grand Duchess.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Courtier

They appear to be happy and I find her very, very attractive. I think they are a very cute couple and wish them all the best.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
This is all very amusing. For the last decade people have moaned and groaned about princes, and princesses, falling in love and marrying commoners. Some even suggested that these royal heirs should have put their duty to their dynasties ahead of emotions like love and married a girl/boy from a proper royal/noble background and hope that affection developed later. Now we have a prince, who says it was love at first sight, becoming engaged to an attractive young lady from an aristocratic family and some people now say it can't possibly be a love match and it must have been arranged. It would appear that no matter who an heir decides to marry there will always be those who second guess the reasons and claim to know better than the couples involved. Sad really.
Too Right!
Was it arranged, who cares, these statements always come up when a Prince marries from nobility or royalty.
A previous poster said that The Grand Duchess Josephine would have been happy with this match. I have no idea but as I have the impression that she preferred Royal/Royal marriages, this marriage wouldn't have met her criteria. Yes Stephanie is from an ancient ARISTOCRATIC family, but she isn't royal.
That said, I am very glad that he has chosen a woman that he appears to be in love with and one with an excellent background, both family and education wise.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:

It wasn't my intention to be negative ... just meant that she wasn't from Luxembourg or Belgium ... she did emigrate from another country -- and under unfortunate circumstances. In another day and age ... that alone would have been a negative. It just shows the progressiveness of Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess JC -- ...

Back to my point ... this isn't an arranged marriage.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
The Hapsburgs were also--I believe---a Burgundian family. Since her family dates back so far, does she have any relation to the Hapsburgs? Hard to believe that a family as illustrious as her's wouldn't. I know that her grandmother is a Princess of Ligne. How many other royals, kings, princes, etc.. does she have in her family? Isn't she also a descendant of William the Taciturn just like Guillaume is?
The Habsburgs are originally from Switzerland! The then Archduke Maximilian, son and heir of Emperor Friedrich III. married Maria, the heiress of Burgund on August 19th in 1477 and became co-ruler of Burgund, since Maria's death in 1482 Burgund was a part of the Habsburg Empire. It is more than likely that there have been family ties between the two families over the past centuries.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

they seems cute couple.. I am looking forward the wedding.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Serene Highness

I am amazed that the speculation about this being an arranged marraige hasn't been nipped in the bud by the moderators. There is no foundation whatsoever for these claims and I am sure that the newly engaged couple would find them deeply offensive. If one remarks on these forums, without an official announcement, that a Princess even looks pregnant we receive warnings to stop rumours so I would expect more censure on this sort of conjecture.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

If you listen to the video interview, he says he's known her about 5 years, met in a group of friends, and dated for 2 years. Not met her 6 months ago, and you're 30 and time to "get on with it".
Some people have such imaginations. Just read or listen to the facts, right from the "horse's mouth".
And yes, I am glad a previous poster finally pointed out that although Stephanie is aristocratic, she is not royal. Therefore, his late grandmother may have been more pleased with an aristocrat, rather than an immigrant from another country...
Immigrant is a factual term and shouldn't be taken negatively.

PS Thank you Tyger for the video analysis. I do believe your interpretation is correct.
I for one, would not have been confortable with my fiance displaying so much pda infront of cameras, no matter how much in love!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
his late grandmother may have been more pleased with an aristocrat, rather than an immigrant from another country...
Calling someone an immigrant, especially when reflecting upon societal standing (as was the case in this situation), is never articulated in a positive way. It's done so as a means of identifying only differences instead of commonalities. Thus, it's a fine line between 'factual terms' and xenophobia, acceptance and judgement.

Infact, it's well known that there was little love lost between the two.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
PS Thank you Tyger for the video analysis. I do believe your interpretation is correct.
I for one, would not have been confortable with my fiance displaying so much pda infront of cameras, no matter how much in love!
Thank you. I could also be all wet but it's such a puzzling moment in an otherwise very clear impression.

I think that was exactly what was happening for her (possibly) in that moment - how you would have reacted to your fiance was how she was reacting but after she realized the camera was pointed directly at them.

I made another viewing (she is really quite charming - they both are) and in that slow-mo viewing I realized that she actually directly makes 'eye contact' with the camera just after he touches her and just before she begins to draw away - that's when she brings down her eyes and begins the pull-away, while still bowing her head to him. If there is a look of discomfiture it may actually be for the camera and not her fiance who she remains smiling towards, which is clear to me in the slow-mo.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I am amazed that the speculation about this being an arranged marraige hasn't been nipped in the bud by the moderators. There is no foundation whatsoever for these claims and I am sure that the newly engaged couple would find them deeply offensive. If one remarks on these forums, without an official announcement, that a Princess even looks pregnant we receive warnings to stop rumours so I would expect more censure on this sort of conjecture.
I agree. He said it was love at first for him and the timing seems to have just been off for them in the beginning. He referred to them having met 5 yrs ago back in November, so it has been over 5 1/2 yrs meaning she was still probably in university (most take at least 4 yrs) when they met while she was home on break or for the summer and probably not looking for so long distance a relationship. As she graduated, she moved home and would have seen him on more social occassions such as Xenia's wedding and gotten to know him better and again the timing could have been off since he was romantically linked to other women in this period. It may have taken til 2 yrs ago for the timing to be right with them both finally single possibly. This does not at all seem to have played out like an arrangement. It is no different than anybody else really meeting their future spouse at mutual's friend's party, becoming first friends and eventually more. This has played out like most relationships except they happen to be in a circle of friends that is royal/noble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
If there is a look of discomfiture it may actually be for the camera and not her fiance who she remains smiling towards.
I think any discomfort was from the media and that Guillaume was both nervous himself and trying to alieviate her discomfort with his affection. I think they are in love and he just showed it more cause he is more comfortable with the media.

People are just reading way to much into things or else trying to make it fit into some prefab notions they have that for a royal to marry a noble nowadays it must be arranged or that some royal consorts are really in it more for the clothes and jewellery. I do not get the arrangement or gold digger vibe. Guillaume seems a generally wonderful man that a girl like her could fall in love with, and they have similar interests and seem well matched.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
This is all very amusing. For the last decade people have moaned and groaned about princes, and princesses, falling in love and marrying commoners. Some even suggested that these royal heirs should have put their duty to their dynasties ahead of emotions like love and married a girl/boy from a proper royal/noble background and hope that affection developed later. Now we have a prince, who says it was love at first sight, becoming engaged to an attractive young lady from an aristocratic family and some people now say it can't possibly be a love match and it must have been arranged. It would appear that no matter who an heir decides to marry there will always be those who second guess the reasons and claim to know better than the couples involved. Sad really.
Well said.
On first glance, she seems to be a nice lady and it is completely up to Guillaume to decide, what attracted him to her.
I am a little bit shocked about the comments about her looks - because this is not a beauty contest - it is an engagement. And by this, I am not making any judgement about her physical appearance, just trying to make a point about what really matters - and this is the feelings about two people who have decided to get married.
Hope my fellow posters will agree.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

An engagement is a very happy event in the royal families and here it is about the future
Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

Why writing threads and threads about arranged marriage, comment about her looks,
coming back to MT engagement etc...

I agree with Countess Felicitas

Are the moderators on Holiday ?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think there's much point in debating whether this is an arranged marriage or not. One thing I think we all know is that, even if it has been arranged, none of the major players are likely ever to confirm it.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:35 AM
Courtier

Does anyone know any more about the engagement ring? Is it new or part of a family collection?
I think any talk about an "arranged" marriage is ridiculous so i'm ignoring it.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

To me the ring looks very, very new. It's in a very current style, similar to the kind of engagement ring that's popular among celebrities and Hollywood types.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Heir Apparent

As long as opinions and discussions are respectfully articulated, then I think certain people need gather some perspective. This is a disucssion forum where by opinions and thoughts are openly expressed.

Should the discussion transcend too far, then believe you me, the moderating body will let us know.

As for comments about her appearance, I see nothing wrong with that. I don't believe anyone has been disrespectful or rude in their observations. As stated in an earlier post, we discuss the clothes, hair, jewellery, and upbringing of these people and yet some protest that making mention about an indaviduals' physical appearance is surprising and not appropriate. It's nonsense and dare I suggest somewhat hypochritical. There is hardly a person in the world who could honestly say that he or she has never made comment about anothers physical appearance in one way or another. Indeed, this forum alone see's members comment on peoples ages, how bad or how well they are ageing and what their complexions are like. There's even polls that encourage people to exercise their opinion in determining who they think has the best body and who is the most beautiful royal woman according to them. There's really nothing wrong with voicing an opinion about someone elses appearance as long as there is no malice or intent to offend.

Quote:
It's in a very current style
Revived Art Deco. It is lovely exmaple.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent

Tags
engagement, hereditary grand duke guillaume, stephanie de lannoy