Engagement of HGD Guillaume & Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy: April 26, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is really long, what post has images of the ring?
Also this is another engaged lady who wore blue; clearly these ladies have a memo that passes between them that they have to have some blue in their outfit when they announce an engagement.
Edit
NM Marika has some pix in her post.
The ring is pretty and big without being gaudy.
I really can't believe people have a problem with this ladies looks. I admit I have only seen a few pictures but she definitely is not ugly or plain.

Last edited:
This question was in this topic, but does somebody know if dad of Countess Stephanie - Count de Lannoy has trouble with walking? I notice on this photo a wheelchair behind Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess MT.

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Last edited:
I think what most of you are forgetting is this is MY opinion and how I see it. I didn't say anything disrespectful, I respect all of your comments and I don't try to tare them down. You have your opinions and are free to express them just like I am. Plus I didn't say there was anything wrong with arranged marriages, for some it works for them. The end, now I hope you all can jump off the bandwagon.
Your cynicism could very well have waited for another day.

I think what most of you are forgetting is this is MY opinion and how I see it. I didn't say anything disrespectful, I respect all of your comments and I don't try to tare them down. You have your opinions and are free to express them just like I am. Plus I didn't say there was anything wrong with arranged marriages, for some it works for them. The end, now I hope you all can jump off the bandwagon.

In all fairness, HRHAmy, you posed a question in your initial post ("Does anyone else get the feeling that this is an arranged marriage?"), so it is not surprising that you received answers. Some people may strongly agree or disagree with you, but no one (at least IMO) has been insulting or disrespectful on either side of the debate.

Your cynicism could very well have waited for another day.

I do not understand what was going on. This is a public forum and everyone can write here what he thinks. There was discussion, and if one does not insult other people, not using the censored words it does no harm can be expressed in the discussion about whether or not the marriage was arranged. I know this is speculation, but sometimes people like to talk on such subjects, and there is nothing wrong with that if if the statements do not offend other forum participants.

So please be calm and come back to topic :)

So anybody know the answear to my last question?

Last edited:
Marta (welcome fellow poster from Poland :flowers:), it could be GD Jean on this wheelchair, you can see him on this side on other pictures from PPE.

To Marta19plÀs you know from the beginning of this thread , Stephanie’s father is nearly 90 years old the same age than Guillaume’s grandfather.
We saw him on TV and he looked and spoke very very slowly and he may move with the help of a wheelchair
To me , but it is just my opinion , he has been ill and it is therefore that the official engagement was postponed until he was going better and able to come to Luxembourg.
The de Lannoy family belongs to Belgium’s highest Nobility and they don’t deserve this out of topic remarks . regards MO

Marta (welcome fellow poster from Poland :flowers:), it could be GD Jean on this wheelchair, you can see him on this side on other pictures from PPE.

Hello agami.pearl, nice to meet you :) I've seen many of your posts on various topics in this forum, but I never noticed that you're from PL ;)

I think --> http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.php?start=0&id=79020&zoektype=2&search=27-04-2012%20Ducal --> that is fahter of Countess Stephanie - Count de Lannoy.

To Marta19plÀs you know from the beginning of this thread , Stephanie’s father is nearly 90 years old the same age than Guillaume’s grandfather.
We saw him on TV and he looked and spoke very very slowly and he may move with the help of a wheelchair
To me , but it is just my opinion , he has been ill and it is therefore that the official engagement was postponed until he was going better and able to come to Luxembourg.
The de Lannoy family belongs to Belgium’s highest Nobility and they don’t deserve this out of topic remarks . regards MO

I asked out of curiosity and did not want to offend anyone. I know that the Count has 90 years, and it may be sick, but I wanted to know - if you know - is ita serious disease and if he could appear at the wedding of his daughter. That's it.

Last edited:
I wonder if we will see Stephanie appearing on day to day events with Guillaume? I'm guessing we will Stephanie at The National Day celebrations.

NoorMeansLight said:
Stephanie doesn't have to win any beauty prizes. They suit one another in terms of looks, IMO. Of course, it's natural for Guillaume's fans to feel disappointed, this is totally understandable.
And why an 'arranged' marriage? Didn't they date for two years?

Amen my friend. I do not have to type much other than read the above post.

I think --> [DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto --> that is fahter of Countess Stephanie - Count de Lannoy.

I know that the Count has 90 years, and it may be sick, but I wanted to know - if you know - is ita serious disease and if he could appear at the wedding of his daughter.

Marta, I am pretty sure that the gentleman who is in a wheelchair in this photograph is Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. But Count Philippe de Lannoy was born in 1922, and, as Maria Olivia has noted, he appeared quite weak in the videotaped interview. I wouldn't be surprised if he, too, needed a wheelchair. As for whether he will appear at his daughter's wedding, I imagine that his health will be the determining factor.

Last edited:
I know nothing about Stephanie or her family or the one she is marrying into. How old is Stephanie? It appears she is about 60yrs younger than her father.

Marta, I am pretty sure that the gentleman who is in a wheelchair in this photograph is Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. But Count Philippe de Lannoy was born in 1922, and, as Maria Olivia has noted, he appeared quite weak in the videotaped interview. I wouldn't be surprised if he, too, needed a wheelchair. As for whether he will appear at his daughter's wedding, I imagine that his health will be the determining factor.

Sorry, but you don't understand that the person I'm talking about. I know how to look Grand Duke Jean and I know that man on the left side of this photo is GDJ, but I talk about the person on wheelchair which I see behind Countess de Lannoy and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. The rest of your post is understandable to me :)

I know nothing about Stephanie or her family or the one she is marrying into. How old is Stephanie? It appears she is about 60yrs younger than her father.

Stephanie is 28 years old - she was born on February 18th 1984. Her father has 63 years old when she was born. Some posts earlier you can read about this.

Last edited:
Sorry, but you don't understand that the person I'm talking about. I know how to look Grand Duke Jean and I know that man on the left side of this photo is GDJ, but I talk about the person on wheelchair which I see behind Countess de Lannoy and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa.

I saw another picture where it appears to be Philippe de Lannoy in the wheelchair with a woman wearing all white (nurse?) behind him. I'm glad that he was well enough to make the trip to Luxembourg and participate in the engagement activities.

How do you think, will the wedding be aired online by RTL or maybe some other channels?

German TV channel ZDF will definitely broadcast the wedding just like they did for Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Albert II.

But what is the exact date of the wedding?

German TV channel ZDF will definitely broadcast the wedding just like they did for Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Albert II.

The exact date isn't known yet.

PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE

Wow, what a surprise, I am a bit late to the thread, good luck to the new couple, they seem to be very well matched and look lovely together. Cant wait for the wedding, it will be one of the few remaining A List events remaining until the new royal crop gets into gear what will take two decades. They both look a bit awkward so to say what makes them very likable to me.

In terms of arranged marriage, I cant understand the underlying negativity. If it was arranged in the sense that both were encouraged the move in the same circles then fine. If in time a relationship develops what is wrong with that. Nobody captured Stephanie and brought her to the palace, pointed a gun at Guillaume and said Now you marry her or else.

I´m not sure if this particular wedding will be broadcasted life on german television as there are hardly any reports on the grand ducal family on german television and hardly anyone in this country knows them. The Grand Duke and Duchess paid a state visit to Germany a week ago and there was very little coverage of it, as well as on this engagement (not even on the 2 most popular celebrity television shows)! They always use to cover royal events heavily, but Luxembourg is always left out...

I don´t know if this has been discussed before here, but how old have Stephanies parents been when she was born?! When I first took a look at the group photograph I thought they were here grandparents...!

Stephanie herself is pretty on the scale of the two Berleburg princesses - not a rare beauty like CP Mary or the Duchess of Cambridge, but still pretty. She´s not my cup of tea, but Guillaume looks very happy and that´s what counts!

Being a countess doesn´t mean nessecarily this is an arranged engagement; they both look very happy and in love.

Do you have a source for the broadcast? I am not sure if the wedding will be broadcasted live in Germany! Here in Germany the Grandducal Family of Luxemburg is not the most known royal family!

Wow, what a surprise, I am a bit late to the thread, good luck to the new couple, they seem to be very well matched and look lovely together. Cant wait for the wedding, it will be one of the few remaining A List events remaining until the new royal crop gets into gear what will take two decades. They both look a bit awkward so to say what makes them very likable to me.

In terms of arranged marriage, I cant understand the underlying negativity. If it was arranged in the sense that both were encouraged the move in the same circles then fine. If in time a relationship develops what is wrong with that. Nobody captured Stephanie and brought her to the palace, pointed a gun at Guillaume and said Now you marry her or else.

Haha, I just saw it in front of me.....

Ok, for me she is no striking beauty either, but who sais, that this is a must for a reigning house? And I think, she has something, so we´ll see how she develops.

Regarding arranged marriage: I have seen some videos and the way how they touched, kissed and embraced each other I do not see, that this marriage is an arranged one. Exactly as Duke sais: you may pay attention, that your son is in the right circles, but then you still have to fall in love, and it seems, this was the case here. So Congrats to the happy couple.

Cannot wait for the wedding, last "heir to a reigning house" wedding!

BYe Bine

I hope I'm not true but looking at the general reception of this news across various the Internet I am afraid that this wedding would not get as much coverage as it is expected like the previous weddings of other heirs of the thrones. I'm still hoping many will cover though. I have emailed CNN, BBC and Aljazeera to provide live telecast. I don't know how would they respond.

Do you have a source for the broadcast? I am not sure if the wedding will be broadcasted live in Germany! Here in Germany the Grandducal Family of Luxemburg is not the most known royal family!
I'm also not sure they will broadcast it live here. Let's hope so. ZDF broadcasted also the Wedding of Prince Philippe and Prince Laurent of Belgium live and usually there is not much in the belgian Royals here. In the Docs they usually leave it out.

- Most importantly, the couple looks very in love to me... especially him. He has declared publicly that, in his case, it was love at first sight. And, from looking at the videotape, I believe him.

I totally believe him. He seemed to be bursting with happiness. They don't appear to be dating that long. Well, it doesn't take everyone nearly nine years to make up their minds ask someone to marry them. !! Hello, William. !! :lol:

I hope I'm not true but looking at the general reception of this news across various the Internet I am afraid that this wedding would not get as much coverage as it is expected like the previous weddings of other heirs of the thrones. I'm still hoping many will cover though. I have emailed CNN, BBC and Aljazeera to provide live telecast. I don't know how would they respond.

The BBC certainly won't broadcast it; they don't broadcast any royal weddings except the big British ones. The other European royal families are essentially unknown to 99% of the British public.

Congratulations to the whole family! Stephanie seems very sweet young women!Thye seems very happy and in love! I am happy for them!

its nice for the both of them i wish them the best they seem genuinely happy and thats all that matters

I would like to express my view of the situation with the engagement. First of all, I think it is very important to answer about censure This is something very important to think about why people can talk whatever they think in polite way of course before the engagement and why it is necessary to admire everything after. We can open theme for congratulations. We are here to discuss, its very important to let ordinary people to express their positive or negative opinions. The forum I think is great independent source. And you have the right to be yourselves.
Stephanie is smart, speaks several languages, probably reminds him of his grandmother, who was a Belgian princess, he can be sure that the marriage is not because of money and not because of the title, she likes classic music , she has all those manners that is so necessary for the future hereditary grand duchess. She is slim, high, blonde. It is possible he was not looking for beauty,but for a partner. As you can see, there are many pluses. Somebody wrote she is beautifull. Tall, slim, good dress, beautiful makeup and hairdo …but all this doesnt mean beauty. If you`ll say she s beutifull then you never see what is really beautifull girl. She is just very well groomed. Not more not less. I don’t like to speak about these things because I think the main thing is personality but if you speak about her appearance look at her nose, look at her thin lips, eyebrows and eyes. Grooming and beauty are different things. And since she is next hgd her look will be diccussed. But nowadays there is plastic surgery and I think the main thing is character not looks.I think ordinary people in Luxembourg accept her just because they don’t have a chance not to accept as well as grand duke and grand duchess.
I agree with person who said about her look "if you cross my way you`ll regret about this» She has one disadvantage. She is not kind. Its expression of cold arictocratic arrogance Watch the video again, stop and look into her eyes at the end of the video.
Erbgroßherzog Guillaume und Stéphanie de Lannoy zeigen sich auf Schloss Berg - YouTube

No I cant understand whether Guillaume was afraid of girls who want his money and title or he is not down to earth himself and lazy to find not noble person. Remember that even Pia Haraldsen is connected with royal family. If is true its little bit sad. All princes ( Frederick, Fillipe and others) were down to earth enough to marry commoners. Guillaume haven’t made such circumstances when he can find ordinary girl in more ordinary situation. I think many perfect candidates were lacked from the society like previous Mary Donaldson and Mette Marit Hoyby were raised in. Luxembourg needs good simple girl who understand ordinary people, sick, poor people and children. The fact that somebody had better start in life is not a fact that each of you cant learn several languages and manners and all those things that are future princess needs, its only question of little time There are many well educated girls. Stephanie cant understand because as a proverb says « The full stomach doesn’t understand the empty one» There is necessity of person with warm and kind heart to do something really important for society for people. Everybody will respect her but she will never become princess of hearts like Grace Kelly for Monaco or Diana for Great Britain. You know when somebody loves to do smth its always visible. Yes Diana was noble but she was working with children. I never heard anothing like that about Stephanie. When somebody has kind heart its always visible. I don’t feel she is somebody who will bring more positive things into Luxembourg, she is not future princess of hearts. Maria Teresa smiles but I don’t see happiness in her eyes. I think she would love to see simple sweet girl with warm personality even Cuban like her
Girls you all say she is great but think if she count what you think? CP Mary. CP Letizia, CP
Mette Marit and even Duchess Kate( Middleton) are those who are great. I think Kate has improved many things in herself later and she did some charity before the engagement not even being a countess. Lets imagine the situation. I am not black. I can say I understand problems of black people as well as Stephanie can give people illusion she can understand normal people. But only black people can understand what another black people feel about life by 100 percent because of similar circumstances they were born. She is countess herself. I speak about her as a future bride of the sovereign of the state. We have to remember she is not future housewife and love is not only one thing that should be taken into account in this marriage. So she is contess and if she has helped people be sure you know about that. There are many programs where you can help poor people. I don’t mean all those charity events when you see and look. I mean programs when you can help somebody with your hands and events when you can raise money from other participants of the events for some good things like helping people in need. And now I want to ask you 2 questions
1.Charity works tells many things about person. Why is the situation like that with Stephanie?
2. How do you think is Guillaume down to earth or he is like CP of Belgium
And I don’t think this is arranged marriage

Last edited:
You are right elleann, but never forget:
Luxemburg is a small, extremely rich country and there are just a very few problems. She doesn't really need to understand many (social) problems, because there are not much and Luxemburg is a small country with only a few citizens, so she'll fastly break into it.

But I also know what you mean: when hereditary prince Aloys of Liechtenstein married Sophie both seemed more in love.

We don't know, what links them both together, but may be one day we'll understand.(???)
May be she is just one of those people, who don't like to show her feelings in public ( like me f.ex.)

What I don't understand is, how distanced her family behaves ( her mother looks like she has a dentist appointment in a few minutes) and his family looks also, if it's just another state visit (or may be they have only one face/look for public ?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom