Death of Comtesse Alix de Lannoy: August 26, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of poignant items caught my attention in the Countess's obituary notice....there was enough time to anoint her with Sacrament of the Sick(the Last Rites) in the final moments before her death, and HGD Guillaume is listed as a family member even though he is not yet Stephanie's husband. :sad:
It's not certain that the brain hemorrhage happened the day the comtesse died, even with a major hemorrhage it often takes a day or two, and sometimes up to a month before a patient passes away after a hemorrhagic stroke, and if the hemorrhage is small enough many patients survive. As far as I know there haven't been any mentioning when the comtesse became ill in the papers, so we don't know when the stroke happened.

Sorry, that is medically, incorrect. Massive brain hemorraghes can kill instantly. I don't know where you get your information from. Of this I am quite sure. Sometimes, patients are put on life support, but die almost within the hour when it is removed.

Oh God...it sounds so awful Meraude and COUNTESS...thanks.

We know she hasn't been ill for a month because Stephanie and Guillaume were at the London Olympics last month, happy as could be.

I personally know of two people who died of brain haemorrhage..both young women...the first was a friend of my sister's who was in her 30's healthy as a horse or so we thought. She collapsed, was taken to hospital and emergency surgery and died the next day after briefly regaining consciousness and saying good bye to her parents.

Then a 27 year old friend of my mom's who also died the next day after surgery.

I think it is also what killed Franklin Roosevelt.

Last edited:
From Paris Match the accident happened eight days before and she had surgery three times the following week... to no avail unfortunately.

A couple of poignant items caught my attention in the Countess's obituary notice....there was enough time to anoint her with Sacrament of the Sick(the Last Rites) in the final moments before her death, and HGD Guillaume is listed as a family member even though he is not yet Stephanie's husband. :sad:

Thanks for the link, Marijke.

Guillaume, even though not formally a part of the family, is considered a family member through his engagement. In some countries, an engagement allows the bride to use her husband's name from the moment of acceptance. It is a little different that what we are used to.

Sorry, that is medically, incorrect. Massive brain hemorraghes can kill instantly. I don't know where you get your information from. Of this I am quite sure. Sometimes, patients are put on life support, but die almost within the hour when it is removed.
I never said that they can't kill instantly (or more correctly perhaps within minutes or hours), that happen in some cases, in other cases the patient gets into a hospital and a CT scan is done to see whether it's a brain hemorrhage or a thrombosis that has caused the patient's stroke, as the treatment is totally different depending on the cause. (I know about this because I work at an emergency department in a hospital.) It seems that in the case of the comtesse the hemorrhage happened a couple of days before she passed away.

It's really strange that princess Mathilde, Prince Philippe and Queen Fabiola will be there since it's supposed to be a strictly familial celebration, no? :confused:

Are they friends of the family?

It's really strange that princess Mathilde, Prince Philippe and Queen Fabiola will be there since it's supposed to be a strictly familial celebration, no? :confused:
Family doesn't necessarily mean only the immediate family, prince Philippe and grand duke Henri are cousins and thus the Belgian royal family is a part of the extended family that Stéphanie will be married into, and the de Lannoy family belongs to the Belgian nobility so it's not surprising that the BRF attend the funeral.

I don't know about Fabiola, but Mathilde has been friends with the de Lannoy family long before she married Philippe. She knows Alix de Lannoy and esspecially some of her children, imo it's not surprising that she attends the funeral.

Last edited:
Guillaume, even though not formally a part of the family, is considered a family member through his engagement. In some countries, an engagement allows the bride to use her husband's name from the moment of acceptance. It is a little different that what we are used to.

You are always a treasure trove of fascinating info..I had no idea. Thanks!

Such sad news. Prayers and thoughts with the family. Must be extremely hard loosing your parent just before your wedding.

Since they are from a noble family I would assume that the royal family knows them in someway.

Family doesn't necessarily mean only the immediate family; Prince Philippe and Grand Duke Henri are cousins and thus the Belgian royal family is a part of the extended family that Stéphanie will be married into; and the de Lannoy family belongs to the Belgian nobility, so it's not surprising that the Belgium RF attend the funeral.

As others have mentioned, Princess Mathilde experienced the death of her sister, Marie-Alix, and grandmother, Princess Sophia Sapieha, from a car accident in 1997. She and Prince Philippe were married in 1999. Although the wedding was two years later, rather than eight weeks, the emotion of her loss was felt at the wedding when her late sister and grandmother were mentioned in prayer. We all remember Prince Philippe handing Mathilde a hankerchief. It seems to me that Mathilde might be able to provide some support to Stéphanie.

Last edited:
Poor Stephanie, she looks absolutely lost and as if she hasn't slept. It was good of Fabiola to come. CP Mathilde is always a ray of sunshine.

Poor Stephanie looks lost and devastated. :sad:
At least, she has Guillaume by her side to support her.

It is nice to see royals supporting the family.

Gosh poor Stéphanie, she looks utterly devastated :sad:

Such a nice detail to see Mathilde, Queen Fabiola, Louis and Tessy there, the family/friendship bonds between them are very tight.

how sad, jjust before her daughter wedding!

Those pictures are so sad!
Stéphanie looks devastated. I'm glad she has Guillaume...

Poor Stephanie. She looks devastated and distraught :sad:. I'm glad that she has people she loves and trusts around her at this time. Memory Eternal.

My heart goes out to Stephanie at this difficult time. It's hard to lose you're mother at any time but shortly before the wedding, can't begin to imagine.

Last edited:
Stephanie looked extremely pale and a little dazed holding onto Guillaume's arm tightly like that. Still, she looked beautiful all in black with her head and shoulders covered by a mantilla, and Gui was as supportive as ever.

It's hard to believe that this is the same couple who were so happy and silly and goofy at the London Games a few weeks ago. Stephanie seems shattered now. :sad:

But they appear very bonded together, very close.

I was surprised and happy to see Queen Fabiola, as well as the entire GD Family with the exception of Alexandra and Sebastien. When did Louis start wearing glasses by the way?? :eek:

Henri and MT looked so deeply sad. :ermm:

Poor Stephanie. My heart goes out to her and her entire family.

I haven't seen pictures of Stephanie's father at the funeral.
Maybe his children decided that he should stay at home, due to his frail health.
Does anyone know if he attended the funeral of his late wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom