The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Which dukedom will inherit the first child of Victoria and Daniel?

What do you think? Which dukedom will inherit the little future monarch of Sweden?

My guess is the Dukedom of Dalarna!

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Courtier

The last former Duke of Dalarna is still living so I doubt it will be Dalarna. I think it will be fun if the baby gets Dukedom of Östergötland.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Aristocracy

Here a list with all existing dukedoms and their duke (living or dead).
Lista över Sveriges hertigar och hertiginnor - Wikipedia

I guess it will be Närke.
The last duke Eugen died in 1947.
And Prince Daniel is born in Örebro, which is in the historic region Närke.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Serene Highness

I hope for Östergötland, and it would follow in the tradition as the son of the late ducal couple of Västergötland became duke of Östergötland (Carl and Ingeborg of Västergötland -> Carl of Östergötland).

Then there are a number of landskap (countries) of Sweden that have never had a duke, such as Bohuslän, Dalsland, Härjedalen, Lappland, Norrbotten, Medelpad, Blekinge, Ångermanland.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Which dukedom did King Carl XVI Gustaf have before he succeeded to the throne?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
That would be Jämtland.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
He is still the Duke of Jämtland.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Courtier

It will most certainly not be my county, Södermanland, beacuse then the prince/princess would be first in line to take over Stenhammar estate from the king and that spot is reserved for Carl-Philip, that´s why he has studied agricultural for some years.

I think it may be Östergötland but it´s really hard to tell how they may be thinking, maybe they want to give a county that has never had a duke before.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
He is still the Duke of Jämtland.
Do Swedish dukedoms not merge with the crown when the duke succeeds to the throne, and thus become open to be granted to a new prince or prncess?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Do Swedish dukedoms not merge with the crown when the duke succeeds to the throne, and thus become open to be granted to a new prince or prncess?
H.M. King Carl XVI Gustaf - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
As there are 25 provinces in Sweden, Provinces of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , and the Swedish royal family have always been quite small so I don't think there have been a need to merge a dukedom with the crown to make that dukedom available to a new prince or princess, especially as the dukedoms have never been meant to be inherited by the children of a duke. Each newborn prince, and now princess's too since 1980, are given their own dukedom at birth. The most royal dukes there have been in Sweden was between 1916 (birth of prince Carl Johan) and 1918 (death of prince Erik) was 12 including the king, Gustav V.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Nobility

I think he or she will be given a "classic" royal dukedom like Skåne or Östergötland. Or maybe Västerbotten to honour the parents of King Carl Gustaf. And swedish titular royal dukedoms does not merge with the crown. Even if the current duke is stripped of his title the dukedom is considered extant. So as long as Count Carl Johan Bernadotte is alive there will be no new duke/duchess of Dalarna. As long as Princess Lilian is alive there will be no new duke/duchess of Halland. And as long as the king is alive there will be no new duke of Jämtland.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

I correct my guess. My new guess is the Duke/Duchess of Småland, as Victorias favourite childbookauthor Astrid Lindgren was born there, and it might be a nice hommage to her.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Majesty

Öland as a dukedom
Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Courtier

It could be Gotland, esp since ETW (Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg) has hinted in intervjues that the little princess may have been made when the crownprincesscouple was on visit/vacation there last year
Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Ostergotland. I believe the last Duke of Ostergotland was Prince Carl Bernadotte?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Serene Highness

I'm more than happy that princess Estelle was made Duchess of Östergötland, and I hope she will come here soon for a visit with her parents and also later on when she's older as there is lots of things to do for children.

From the homepage of Östergötland county council: Tronarvingen blir hertiginna av Östergötland - Länsstyrelsen Östergötland
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda
Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Ostergotland. I believe the last Duke of Ostergotland was Prince Carl Bernadotte?
Yes Prince Carl Bernadotte and his grandfather King Oacar II were the last dukes of Östergötland.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
The last former Duke of Dalarna is still living so I doubt it will be Dalarna. I think it will be fun if the baby gets Dukedom of Östergötland.
Yay! Got it right!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Serene Highness

The Duchy of Ostergotland cheers
Google Translate

Excerpt:
It's really funny, I was so happy. It feels like a gift, a wonderful gift to us. The rumors said it would be Örebro and we thought we'd get a warning if it was us, so we had no idea at all. We will celebrate with cake, says governor Elis Beth Nilsson.

Will she get a castle?

- A castle has been difficult for me to promise with something we'll have to come up with. Someone nice christening course it will be understood, something nice from the county. For example, we find glass manufacturers here, says Elisabeth Nilsson.