Victoria will choose the Throne over Love

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larzen

Heir Presumptive
Top News in Norwegian Aftenposten at the moment
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1060284.ece

They quote Expressen that quotes a turkish paper and then translted by me so things may have gotten lost in translation:rolleyes: but here is the main content:

Victoria says that if she had to choose between the throne and love she would choose the throne.

"I will not leave this position, I was born to help Sweden and wants to do my best"

Expressen says that The King and Queen would prefer the relationship to end bu that they have given them promission to marry

"Also Princesses should be allowed to marry those they love says Victoria to the turkish paper. At the moment I have no plans to marry but ofcourse I want to one day.It would be sad to spend yor life alone. I want to marry someone I love, and that also is loved by the swedish people."

(Me : what about someone that loves her back:confused: . This is all a very nobel attitude of Victoria but I wonder how sincere hs is about it and what she would do if she really had to choose. At the moment I cant see any politicians saying to her that if she marrysXXXX your of the throne...)

Larzen said:
Top News in Norwegian Aftenposten at the moment
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1060284.ece

They quote Expressen that quotes a turkish paper and then translted by me so things may have gotten lost in translation:rolleyes: but here is the main content:

Victoria says that if she had to choose between the throne and love she would choose the throne.

"I will not leave this position, I was born to help Sweden and wants to do my best"

Expressen says that The King and Queen would prefer the relationship to end bu that they have given them promission to marry

"Also Princesses should be allowed to marry those they love says Victoria to the turkish paper. At the moment I have no plans to marry but ofcourse I want to one day.It would be sad to spend yor life alone. I want to marry someone I love, and that also is loved by the swedish people."

(Me : what about someone that loves her back:confused: . This is all a very nobel attitude of Victoria but I wonder how sincere hs is about it and what she would do if she really had to choose. At the moment I cant see any politicians saying to her that if she marrysXXXX your of the throne...)
Thanks Larzen for translating that. Although I could never give up love for the throne, no one could ever doubt that Victoria doesn't love her country and doesn't take her role very seriously. Ah, so CG and Silvia have 'approved' (and I use that term very loosely) Daniel as a future husband? Does that mean that Victoria doesn't feel that he's the right one? (She says 'I want to marry one day', implying that that day is off in the future somewhere. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.)

Interesting article, Larzen (strangely I couldn´t find the counterpart in Expressen. Maybe it´s just in the paper edition :confused: )

This is all a very nobel attitude of Victoria but I wonder how sincere hs is about it and what she would do if she really had to choose. At the moment I cant see any politicians saying to her that if she marrysXXXX your of the throne...)
I agree 100% with that. Victoria´s statement is based on a theoretical situation. I think, when one is completely in love, and has to face obstacles, then one wouldn´t hesitate to make a decision for love.
And talking about love...I agree with Danielle, that this all doesn´t sound very promising. But generally Victoria is always quite hesitant, when she talks about love. Maybe she is simply afraid, that the media could destroy her love by interpreting too much into her words (?)
I wonder, what Haakon and Frederik said about their girlfriends, shortly before the engagement. I guess they also haven´t given hints (?)
BTW personally I would prefer, when she would let that with love/throne in interviews open. I mean, that she should say "I wouldn´t give up the throne, I love Sweden, but who knows, what would be when...". Well, I´m not a Swede. Maybe for a Swede it feels great, when a person says, that she (or he) would sacrify her (or his) love for the country :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
BTW I wonder, how a guy has to be, so that his love to Victoria would provoke a decision between love and the throne.
My guess is (contrary to Expressen, which has reheated this "the king doesn´t like Danne"-rumour often in the past 1.5 years) that the king would approve any guy with a clean record. He doesn´t seem like a tyrant to me, rather like one of these fathers, who approve everything, what their children do, as long as they don´t make themselves unhappy.

And now to the government: obviously marrying a commoner doesn´t play a role anymore. But I wonder, if they would approve a person, who has a previous conviction because of the possession of e.g. cocaine? Or what would be when he would have been 2 years in jail for tax fraud? Would this have any consequences or would it depend only on the opinion of the people (usually the government would think of the people...after all they are elected by them)?

The people: I guess they would also just have real problems with a criminal (even when this happened long ago)

Last edited:
VG (norwegian tabloid) has made a poll and has asked their readers, if they would choose love or the throne. I must say I´m a bit surprised about the current result. Of 2833 voters 67.41% have chosen "love" and 32.58% have chosen the throne.
Hmm, I´ve thought, that a majority of at least 80% would choose love and that only a small minority (20% or less) would chose "throne" (my suspicion was/is, that they would think, that "no throne" would also mean "no money"...simple-minded tabloid readers you know...I hope no one has noticed, that I also must have read on vg.no to find this poll :rolleyes: :D )

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=280898

Larzen said:
Expressen says that The King and Queen would prefer the relationship to end bu that they have given them promission to marry.
Does this mean that they don't like him? Did they actualy say that?

robby86 said:
Does this mean that they don't like him? Did they actualy say that?
No, they have never said something like this. I doubt any Monarch would ever do something like that. We had once a cartoon from dagens nyheter...they made fun of the article in Expressen:
http://www.dn.se/content/1/c6/25/67/48/FEAsilvia425.jpg (in the bubble: "did you say that?" and the headline of the newspaper is "Daniel is not good enough for the throne-according to sources at the court"). I would say this cartoon describes it pretty well.
Of course it could be, that they really weren´t too fond of Daniel in the beginning, but how should we know?
My personal feeling is, that they get along with him. Daniel is a sporty guy and I think the king appreciates such guys more than bookworms.
What I´ve heard (and read out) Silvia is in the beginning usually a little bit skeptical of the friends of her children. But I guess, as soon she gets the feeling, that these ppl won´t "hurt" her children she receives them with open arms.
I though dunno, if they can "picture" him as prince...and if they have special expectations for this position. The king is surely also not one, who reads 100 books as preparation for his duties...but he has a good "base" in form of an education in economy, history, sociology and political science. He has enjoyed a special military education and his english is ok (IMO it could be better, but who am I to object this :rolleyes: :eek: ;) )
And when we check Silvia´s education...to speak many languages is surely never a fault in her position...further she really had an idea, what the job "Royal" would mean. The job as hostess ("old" definition ;)) is IMO not too far away from being a Royal. So I would say both have the "right" to question Daniels qualification. If they really do...who knows.

Last edited:
Thankz. I never thought they would do something like that. But you can never know.

robby86 said:
Thankz. I never thought they would do something like that. But you can never know.

You are right...one can never know. Sometimes a few Royals fall out of the line. But I guess generally they know, that they would shoot themselves in the own foot with mean comments on other Royals, politicians or the partners of their children (siblings, cousins etc.). Royal watchers or let´s say people in general don´t want to see, how people, who should be actually close, ridicule and hurt each other...

Yesterday (before Mixer and me started one of our "silly people"-parties ;) ) I´ve posted a poll from VG, asking if the readers would choose love or the throne (currently it´s [font=arial, helvetica]67.53% for love and 32.46% for throne). Aftonbladet has now a similar poll, but instead of "throne", they have chosen "career", maybe this makes the difference, here currently 78.1 % voted for "love" and 21.9 % for "career"[/font]
I will now add also such a poll here. I wonder, what the TRF-members would choose...

So far, with 2 votes (mine included), love is winning. Go love! :D

Danielle said:
So far, with 2 votes (mine included), love is winning. Go love! :D

I was the first vote :D So I will join in: Gooooooo love!!
11_11_3.gif

Well, try to stay objective and vote, what you really think...I admit, that this is one of the hardest polls, because no one here (I think) has lived the crown princely life...but one can always imagine :rolleyes:

mixer2002de said:
Well but you could regret the love thing in the future...

And you could regret the throne thing in the future :rolleyes:
Isn´t it like this with all decisions? No matter, if you choose to marry or not or if you have to choose between a Frappuccino Vanilla or a Frappuccino Caramel...it always can happen, that you regret :rolleyes:

An other thing/question came to my mind. It´s quite provocative and doesn´t necessarily reflect my own opinion. In fact I don´t know, what to think.

When Victoria says, that she wouldn´t give up the throne...would this also mean, that she wouldn´t give up the throne, when she would notice, that her boyfriend couldn´t live with the idea of becoming a prince consort?
In the interview (as we know it) it doesn´t come out, if the force (in this theoretical question) would come from the outside (Monarch, government, people) or from the other part in the relationship.
So the provocative additional question is: Is it then fair to ask Daniel to give up his gyms, when she wouldn´t do the "same"? :confused:

I must say as boyfriend I would think about that...I dunno ("dunno" is great...I´ve "borrowed" this term from Yennie ;) ) if I would start a talk on that, because it´s all so theoretically and could stress the relationship. But I would spend some thoughts on this statement and would try (a little bit harder than usual) to find out how "big" the involved feelings from both sides are...

Last edited:
Well she can make it like the roman emperors than. Adopt an heir or well the children of her siblings could succed so it could be important that they keep their succession rights. My opinion is whomever really loves her can handle to be prince consort.

mixer2002de said:
Well she can make it like the roman emperors than. Adopt an heir or well the children of her siblings could succed so it could be important that they keep their succession rights.

Well, and she could marry the "next best" guy.

My opinion is whomever really loves her can handle to be prince consort.

Yes, but shouldn´t it be the same vice versa? Provocatively asked: Are Daniels plans for the future less worth than the ones of Victoria?
The tricky thing with this question is: as soon as Daniel would say, that he couldn´t stand it to be prince and that she should give up the throne, Victoria could ask back: "so your love isn´t big enough, but mine should it be?" And when Victoria would ask Daniel to give up his gyms and plans for the future, he could ask her "so your love isn´t big enough to give up the throne, but mine should it be?"
This is some kind of tug-of-war...and one can only hope, that they are too much on cloud nine and aren´t so bored to start to discuss such things...

Well I think marriing a girl in her situation is never easy. But as I think for her there is no way out of this dilemma. Normally in our world femals adopt to ther mans lifestyle with her it has to be different. But as Sweden is a very modern state this shouldn't be a problem even if I think it would be much easier for a guy who would be an ordinary employee than a business owner. If Vicky would marry a foreigner who relocates two Sweden this would be a lil bit easier as he already would make quite a big move. On the other hand side I think it would be ok for him to continue working if he would be employed at the IRS or something else. If he would be state employed the government could make him rest from work :)

mixer2002de said:
Well I think marriing a girl in her situation is never easy. But as I think for her there is no way out of this dilemma.

Hm, why is there no way out? I can see your point, but I´m also too much of a rationalist and at the same time a romantic to see a problem with giving up the throne.
I think the reason, why I discuss this statement so much is, that my personal view is, that love and family should be over all. Of course Victoria can make a difference as crown princess, but I would say the greatest differences in our lives are made through our partners, children and the own nuclear family (parents+siblings). Can there be a greater and more important thing for a human being than finding the big love and/or getting children?
Further as non-Monarchist, as not-as-strong-as-others-nationalist (I´m also not completely free from patriotic feelings) and as scientific interested person, I always wonder, if such things as countries, institutions etc. are really the things, that stays after the death of persons? Ok, I´m getting to philosophically :p
Just wanted to add, that I can also see, that it must be terribly hard to give up such a position. Above I´ve also mentioned the own nuclear family...of course in a Royal family (in most cases), this would also mean, that one would have to disappoint the Monarch, the own father/mother. And this would be terribly hard.
When Daniel would give up his gym businesses his Pappa probably would give only a shrug and would go on with his life, and Mamma Westling would probably call gladly her best friend, so that she would accompany her to a shopping tour (The in-law of the queen-to-be can´t run around like a frump ;) )

Normally in our world femals adopt to ther mans lifestyle with her it has to be different. But as Sweden is a very modern state this shouldn't be a problem even if I think it would be much easier for a guy who would be an ordinary employee than a business owner. If Vicky would marry a foreigner who relocates two Sweden this would be a lil bit easier as he already would make quite a big move. On the other hand side I think it would be ok for him to continue working if he would be employed at the IRS or something else. If he would be state employed the government could make him rest from work :)

Well, as I´ve said before, it shouldn´t be a problem. But I guess the feelings of the men haven´t changed completely and generally no one wants to feel useless and inferior. So I think it takes more than just to say "We live in 200X, don´t act as you would live in the stone age". IMO you are right, as employee things would be a little bit easier...but in the end I´m sure, one could also find a nice field for Daniel.
I think the biggest work needs to be done of Victoria self...when she would give him the feeling, that he would be just her doggy, then one can be sure, their relationship wouldn´t be very happy...and IMO she should already start now and should give him the feeling that she would give up everything for him...and she should be a little bit more carefully: interviews given in Turkey can also reach Swedish tabloids, and a certain gym owner, who says, that he reads the daily tabloids online after work :rolleyes: But as usual...who am I to tell them that...and as I´ve said yesterday maybe these statements were just strategy and Daniel is aware of that...

Last edited:
This is a tricky poll. I have never been in love so I don't know if I would give up the throne. But if someone came along that I truely deeply loved I probably would. GO LOVE :D

I voted the throne. "Big loves" can come and go, but the throne should be more important than "love" for royals like Victoria.

robby86 said:
This is a tricky poll. I have never been in love so I don't know if I would give up the throne. But if someone came along that I truely deeply loved I probably would. GO LOVE :D

Me neither :( ...at least not so strong, that I would have thought about staying together for the rest of the life and about getting children with the person. I even would say, that not many people have the luck to find THE big love, and many marry, because others do it and because they want to believe in a fairytale. But I´ve though not lost my hope, that THE big love can be (and is...for me ;) :p ) out there. And I guess that was the point of the question to Victoria. I don´t think, that those guys were included, who were dated once or twice of her and who have gotten in her rating "ok" and "actually nice" :rolleyes:

Alisa said:
I voted the throne. "Big loves" can come and go, but the throne should be more important than "love" for royals like Victoria.

As I don´t really understand the ppl, who have voted "throne", I wonder why you think, that the throne is more important?

I would take the love. If I were crown princess, what could they do?

Now that I think on it, I'm not so sure I would want to exchange being the crown princess for gyms.:p

i vote love for Victoria and Daniel

Sara Boyce

Lillia said:
Now that I think on it, I'm not so sure I would want to exchange being the crown princess for gyms.:p

Hahahaha, ok that´s a point. Well, she probably wouldn´t be too unhappy to change those "uncomfortable" business suits, dresses, the whole bits and pieces to a few comfy pairs of training pants ;)

Well, I would say, when she really would be suddenly without a job, then she wouldn´t only help with the gyms (of course she would...and I guess she already does every now and then), but would also follow other things. She wouldn´t be overnight a nobody. As we see it with Johan Friso, a Royal out of the line to the throne can still play a role in the "public Royal family". She also would still have her connections. And as we have heard a few times she sometimes talks about working for the UN. This would then really work out. And when she would have enough of the limelight, she could buy herself a farm (also the money wouldn´t run short...her father would help her financially...or at least he would be forced to give her the legal portion of her inheritance...I think he even alrady had...to save taxes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom