The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Courtier

Oh poor Victoria she really would give up the love of a lifetime for the throne? Even a British royal decided else. What really sucks is that they now changed the law for Charles.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena

"I want to marry someone whom I love, and who is loved by the Swedish people," she said.
Perhaps I should follow discussions of V&D a bit more closely, but I wonder if anyone can tell me what the feelings of the Swedish people are for Daniel? I realize that he has never spoken publicly about his relationship with Victoria (score one for Daniel!) and that he has been pretty much low-key and private during their relationship, but it's been 3+ years. Do the Swedish people like him? Do they think he would make a suitable consort for Victoria (minus the trucker hats, of course -- or maybe the Swedes will embrance the trucker hats?).

I know that around people many members seem to prefer Daniel Collert over Daniel Westling, but is that also the consensus of the future Queen Victoria's subjects?

Old 06-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Perhaps I should follow discussions of V&D a bit more closely, but I wonder if anyone can tell me what the feelings of the Swedish people are for Daniel? I realize that he has never spoken publicly about his relationship with Victoria (score one for Daniel!) and that he has been pretty much low-key and private during their relationship, but it's been 3+ years. Do the Swedish people like him? Do they think he would make a suitable consort for Victoria (minus the trucker hats, of course -- or maybe the Swedes will embrance the trucker hats?).

I know that around people many members seem to prefer Daniel Collert over Daniel Westling, but is that also the consensus of the future Queen Victoria's subjects?
The latest poll was made from Expressen and they asked "Will Daniel be a good prince". And of 8136 persons 67% voted "yes" and 33% "no". Even though such polls are not 100% representative, I guess they though reflect the opinion of the people at the moment. The thing is...I´ve the feeling, the Swedish people don´t really care about Daniel Westling. You can´t find much on him in the net and also the daily tabloids write more about why Daniel can´t be prince, than about a wedding. Also the international press is reluctant, more so than in the times with Daniel "the cute one" Collert (Hey, I´m biased ). Even before the german tabloids got a "lockjaw" they haven´t seen Daniel as serious candidate. And I guess that´s still the general feeling..."not a serious candidate" (it´s also mostly my feeling btw...so maybe I´m wrong...and this comment reflects my feelings).
I think the people, who voted "yes" solidarise with Daniel, because he is now still "one of them" . So my guess is, that the real cold shower for Daniel will come later...around and mostly after the wedding. Then he´s on the other (upper class) side, but has still his roots, and then ppl will chalk every mistake and will start to deal with him.
I think this upper class-thing is a reason, why Daniel Collert hasn´t enjoyed more acceptance within the Swedish people, than Daniel Westling (who seems for other things for some ppl inappropriate). But then (1994-2001) I haven´t followed Swedish news, the internet was still in children´s shoes and Victoria was not directly in the "wedding age", so I can´t say for sure, what ppl really thought on Daniel Collert. Maybe ppl like Yennie can say more...
Those were my 2 cents to the topic...maybe others (Swedes and non-Swedes) don´t share my opinion. And want to express this (?)

BTW I remember also polls, in which it was asked, if Victoria should be allowed to marry Daniel W. (or if she should be allowed to marry, whomever she wants) and always around 80-90% voted for "yes". So I would say Victoria´s statement is just theoretically and it´s only up to Victoria and Daniel, if they want to exchange rings one day...
Old 06-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So my guess is, that the real cold shower for Daniel will come later...around and mostly after the wedding. Then he´s on the other (upper class) side, but has still his roots, and then ppl will chalk every mistake and will start to deal with him.
To quote my own person ...I should not be so negatively...and so I will add, that I guess Daniel would become accepted (as much as a prince or princess can be accepted...) after a few years.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for your input and opinon Lena.

Quote:
To quote my own person ...I should not be so negatively...and so I will add, that I guess Daniel would become accepted (as much as a prince or princess can be accepted...) after a few years.
My original question was based loosely on the very warm and inviting reception the Danes seemed to have for ("mere") Mary Donaldson. She was a normal girl and while there was quite a lot of sentiment online from people who didn't like her, felt she was a gold digger or felt that she was only interested in a title, the Danish people seemed to not share these sentiments at all and really seemed to embrace her.

I wasn't sure if Daniel being Swedish born had a leg up in that he wasn't a foreigner and spoke the language and knew the culture, etc.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The latest poll was made from Expressen and they asked "Will Daniel be a good prince". And of 8136 persons 67% voted "yes" and 33% "no". Even though such polls are not 100% representative, I guess they though reflect the opinion of the people at the moment. The thing is...I´ve the feeling, the Swedish people don´t really care about Daniel Westling. You can´t find much on him in the net and also the daily tabloids write more about why Daniel can´t be prince, than about a wedding. Also the international press is reluctant, more so than in the times with Daniel "the cute one" Collert (Hey, I´m biased ). Even before the german tabloids got a "lockjaw" they haven´t seen Daniel as serious candidate. And I guess that´s still the general feeling..."not a serious candidate" (it´s also mostly my feeling btw...so maybe I´m wrong...and this comment reflects my feelings).
I think the people, who voted "yes" solidarise with Daniel, because he is now still "one of them" . So my guess is, that the real cold shower for Daniel will come later...around and mostly after the wedding. Then he´s on the other (upper class) side, but has still his roots, and then ppl will chalk every mistake and will start to deal with him.
I think this upper class-thing is a reason, why Daniel Collert hasn´t enjoyed more acceptance within the Swedish people, than Daniel Westling (who seems for other things for some ppl inappropriate). But then (1994-2001) I haven´t followed Swedish news, the internet was still in children´s shoes and Victoria was not directly in the "wedding age", so I can´t say for sure, what ppl really thought on Daniel Collert. Maybe ppl like Yennie can say more...
Those were my 2 cents to the topic...maybe others (Swedes and non-Swedes) don´t share my opinion. And want to express this (?)

BTW I remember also polls, in which it was asked, if Victoria should be allowed to marry Daniel W. (or if she should be allowed to marry, whomever she wants) and always around 80-90% voted for "yes". So I would say Victoria´s statement is just theoretically and it´s only up to Victoria and Daniel, if they want to exchange rings one day...
Expressen also had a poll where they asked “Would you see Victoria as Queen”. 6787 voted and 28% said ”No” and 72% said ”Yes”. I think it’s safe to say that the 72% also are monarchists. Now I know those two pools can not be put directly together, but if 67% voted “Yes” to Daniel being a good prince, then it is quite a big amount of the people who is also for the monarchy. So this shows that Daniel could be a good choice for Victoria, if it’s important for her that her boyfriend is loved=accepted by the Swedish people. But the thing is that before a wedding she will never know if Daniel is loved by the Swedish. In fact she will never find a boyfriend that is loved by the people, because the Swedish people won’t know what to love, before they have seen and heard him in action and that can not happen before after a wedding. So the only thing she can do is believe in her own judgement and go by her own gut feeling and take the chance herself.

Mary wasn’t loved either before the engagement. She seemed likeable, but she wasn't loved. Frederik was loved and she was accepted with a poll before the engagemant where about 80% said she would probably be good queen. But at that time they of course couldn’t be sure. Frederik just had to believe in Mary himself and he did. The Danish people(of course not everyone) slowly began to love/like Mary during engagement period and especially since the wedding, because they could now see her in action and together with Frederik. I think the same more or less happened to all the other crown princesses Letizia, Maxima and Mette Marit. Their (now) husbands also believed in them and took a chance and it all turned out very well. That is also why we shouldn't judge too hard on Daniel on the basis on being a Gym owner, a small amount of pictures and "anonymous friends and people close to the family" He could turn out to be really great.

So to Victoria if you read this board: Don’t be so insecure. Just go for it. If your people like you, then they will also like your choice.

http://www.expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=295695
Old 06-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromEU
Expressen also had a poll where they asked “Would you see Victoria as Queen”. 6787 voted and 28% said ”No” and 72% said ”Yes”. I think it’s safe to say that the 72% also are monarchists. Now I know those two pools can not be put directly together, but if 67% voted “Yes” to Daniel being a good prince, then it is quite a big amount of the people who is also for the monarchy. So this shows that Daniel could be a good choice for Victoria, if it’s important for her that her boyfriend is loved=accepted by the Swedish people. But the thing is that before a wedding she will never know if Daniel is loved by the Swedish. In fact she will never find a boyfriend that is loved by the people, because the Swedish people won’t know what to love, before they have seen and heard him in action and that can not happen before after a wedding. So the only thing she can do is believe in her own judgement and go by her own gut feeling and take the chance herself.

Mary wasn’t loved either before the engagement. She seemed likeable, but she wasn't loved. Frederik was loved and she was accepted with a poll before the engagemant where about 80% said she would probably be good queen. But at that time they of course couldn’t be sure. Frederik just had to believe in Mary himself and he did. The Danish people(of course not everyone) slowly began to love/like Mary during engagement period and especially since the wedding, because they could now see her in action and together with Frederik. I think the same more or less happened to all the other crown princesses Letizia, Maxima and Mette Marit. Their (now) husbands also believed in them and took a chance and it all turned out very well. That is also why we shouldn't judge too hard on Daniel on the basis on being a Gym owner, a small amount of pictures and "anonymous friends and people close to the family" He could turn out to be really great.

So to Victoria if you read this board: Don’t be so insecure. Just go for it. If your people like you, then they will also like your choice.

http://www.expressen.se/expressen/js...y.jsp?a=295695
Good post. -Well, I hope she will go for him, when she is in love with him...and that she wouldn´t be influenced by others...but IMO (the "romantic" in me) a woman of 28 years would always go for the guy, as long as she´s really in love with him (When I was 12 I had a boyfriend...and the others didn´t like him. So I tried to get rid of him. But he was madly in love with me and so I had to try plan B and have locked him up for a while in the attic of the school...an other dark chapter in the life of Lena...today I wouldn´t do this again...esp. not when I would be in love...see this anecdote here as little "illustration").
I don´t mean, what we had before (that e.g. her father would never accept her boyfriend as husband) but that e.g. ppl would have their doubts about Daniel and that she wouldn´t try to prove them wrong.
Hm, I´m not sure, what to think in the case of Mary. I remember that the place in front of the castle was filled with many enthusiastic ppl on the engagement day. Would the Swedes really be as happy for them and would do the same? And when not, then maybe just because he´s a guy...and a Swede (?)

And yes, maybe he will prove us wrong and is a funny, very likeable and educated guy (I´ve often met ppl, who haven´t attended university or even hadn´t the permission to attend university, because they haven´t attended the "high school", and who had at the same time a deeper knowledge, had read more books and could talk better about the most complicated things than some guys, who have quit university with top grades...)
Old 06-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Mary wasn’t loved either before the engagement. She seemed likeable, but she wasn't loved. Frederik was loved and she was accepted with a poll before the engagemant where about 80% said she would probably be good queen. But at that time they of course couldn’t be sure. Frederik just had to believe in Mary himself and he did. The Danish people(of course not everyone) slowly began to love/like Mary during engagement period and especially since the wedding, because they could now see her in action and together with Frederik.
I think I have the same memory of Mary pre-engagement -- that the Danes very much liked her, and that Mary fever hit its pitch when the engagement was announced and escalated and went from strength to strength in the run up to the wedding to now with a baby on the way. I don't recall the majority of the Danes not liking Mary or not being enthusiastic about her from the get go.

Was Silvia liked by the Swedish people before her engagement to Carl Gustav?

Quote:
So the only thing she can do is believe in her own judgement and go by her own gut feeling and take the chance herself.

I think at 28 she should take a chance. She has been with Daniel for 3+ years and I think that at this age, as she has had other boyfriends, she would know what works for her in a relationship and what doesn't. I'd go for it at 28! :p

Quote:
Well, I hope she will go for him, when she is in love with him...and that she wouldn´t be influenced by others...but IMO (the "romantic" in me) a woman of 28 years would always go for the guy, as long as she´s really in love with him (When I was 12 I had a boyfriend...and the others didn´t like him. So I tried to get rid of him. But he was madly in love with me and so I had to try plan B and have locked him up for a while in the attic of the school...an other dark chapter in the life of Lena...today I wouldn´t do this again...esp. not when I would be in love...see this anecdote here as little "illustration").

Another piece to the Lena puzzle! I think it's hard not to be influenced (even a little) by others no matter what your age and your personality. And given that Victoria's role is very dependent on the Swedish people's support, I think the public's perception and acceptance of Daniel would be very important to Victoria. That being said however, I think one reaches an age where the agreement or acceptance of others is less important. I know that when I was younger, in my teenage years, it was very important to me to have the right clothes, the right hair, the right shoes, even the right boyfriend, and to fit in with everyone else. But as I've gotten older and become more confident in myself (though I have always been full of self-confidence!), what others think of me matters less and less. It is a great relief to not worry about what others think of you -- you can really cut loose and half so much more fun when you are less self-conscious about yourself!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
(When I was 12 I had a boyfriend...and the others didn´t like him. So I tried to get rid of him. But he was madly in love with me and so I had to try plan B and have locked him up for a while in the attic of the school...an other dark chapter in the life of Lena...today I wouldn´t do this again...esp. not when I would be in love...see this anecdote here as little "illustration").
Goodness me, Lena. What a story! Ha ha ha. :) I would've (and probably still would) do the same thing. I am a stalker-magnet, so I have plenty of interesting little stories. Scary, but interesting.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria

Another piece to the Lena puzzle! I think it's hard not to be influenced (even a little) by others no matter what your age and your personality. And given that Victoria's role is very dependent on the Swedish people's support, I think the public's perception and acceptance of Daniel would be very important to Victoria. That being said however, I think one reaches an age where the agreement or acceptance of others is less important. I know that when I was younger, in my teenage years, it was very important to me to have the right clothes, the right hair, the right shoes, even the right boyfriend, and to fit in with everyone else. But as I've gotten older and become more confident in myself (though I have always been full of self-confidence!), what others think of me matters less and less. It is a great relief to not worry about what others think of you -- you can really cut loose and half so much more fun when you are less self-conscious about yourself!
Figuratively spoken: Yes, one little dirty puzzle (stone/piece) next to the many other pink and light ones :p I agree so much. It´s really getting easier...As you have said it´s hard not to be influenced...even now...but I would say big decisions are now made of my own (even though I´m interested in the opinion of close people)

Hm, I must say the deeper we dig into this topic, the more I get my doubts, if they really marry. For me it was pretty clear, because they date for 3.5 years and because Victoria´s friends are married or are going to marry.
But one can also argue, that the crown princesses (who have like Victoria to fulfill the thing with the heir for the throne) were almost all over 30, when they married. Victoria´s mother was also over 30 and this Silfverschiöld-bunch also doesn´t/didn´t seem to hurry (Carl is 40, Christina was nearly 33, Helene is still not married). Then one can also say "already 3.5 years of relationship, but still not engaged"...ok, these are all just figures and statistics and it´s not just that, what makes me suspicious...it´s just a feeling (mabye based on statements and behaviour?) that there´s something "rotten".
Just a current feeling...maybe I would change my mind, when Daniel would be with Victoria at the birthday show...

Quote:
Goodness me, Lena. What a story! Ha ha ha. :) I would've (and probably still would) do the same thing. I am a stalker-magnet, so I have plenty of interesting little stories. Scary, but interesting.
This cries for an international self help group!
Well, slowly I learn to deal with the problem...but I´ve still the problem to be too nice to ppl and not to make clear statements out of the fear, that I could hurt them. This leads then to it, that I have to disappoint them and/or hurt them more, than I would have done, when I would have said in the beginning how the facts are :( :o
Old 06-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Has Se&Hör anything new to tell, we don´t already know? Obviously it (their staff) wants to tell us, why Victoria would sacrify her love (for the throne). Have they any reason found, that we didn´t know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2693.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	164364  
Old 06-30-2005, 06:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Has Se&Hör anything new to tell, we don´t already know? Obviously it (their staff) wants to tell us, why Victoria would sacrify her love (for the throne). Have they any reason found, that we didn´t know?
No not really. Its just that Victoria said earlier this month (when she was in Turkey) that she would sacrifice her love for the throne if her man for some reason wasn´t accepted by the people.

I think she said something like "plikten går före allt" / the duty comes first
Old 06-30-2005, 06:35 AM
Nobility

Smile

I think the throne would be the most responsible choice and Victoria seems very responsible. :)
Old 06-30-2005, 07:14 AM

I voted for the throne and I think Victoria makes the right choice if she'll choose the throne, as she spoke about in the last interw.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would definately pick the throne. Also, something that comes to mind for me is the fact that Daniel & Victoria have been dating a while, obviously he knows that she is Crown Princess, which leads me to believe that he has accepted the fact that if he marries her, he will also be in the spotlight. If things were too tough for him he could have broken it off. Also, in regards to him being unacceptable -- The King and Queen have had plenty of time to tell Victoria that they don't think that Daniel is the right person for her, and by her comments about picking the throne, I don't think that she would have a problem telling Daniel it was over if her parents were strong on their convictions.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
No not really. Its just that Victoria said earlier this month (when she was in Turkey) that she would sacrifice her love for the throne if her man for some reason wasn´t accepted by the people.

I think she said something like "plikten går före allt" / the duty comes first
Thank you, Yennie. Why do I always believe, that they have great breaking news *bangingtheheadagainstthewall*
Old 06-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Courtier

Seems as the throne wins :) Thats good!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
Seems as the throne wins :) Thats good!
Hm, aren´t you an anti-monarchist (aka republican)? Or has your vote for the throne an other reason (not being too fond of Daniel...agreeing that a guy simply couldn´t do it, when her parents or the government wouldn´t approve ...teasing your good old in-the-heat-melting buddy Lena ? )
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Aristocracy

Bringing back an old thread.

Methinks that she has changed her mind on this- otherwise Daniel would have been history by now.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Nobility

I think she had this earlier let know this !!
than prince Philip can go for the trone !!!!!!

Tags
renouncing rights, throne