Victoria as a Godmother/Sponsor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lena

Heir Apparent
City
Mandø
Country
Denmark
Do you think, that there is any chance, that Victoria would become godmother of the new born dutch princess? I think it would be a nice gesture, an older future Queen as godmother of a younger future Queen...and Queen Beatrix is Victoria´s godmother too.
I hope the dutch Royals won´t handle it like the belgian Royals...only godmothers/godfathers of the closer family and a baptism without foreign guests.

Ooooh, I would love to see Victoria with such a little baby-daughter or son. Couldn´t Daniel II make her one...it isn´t as difficult as it seems ;) :p

Originally posted by Lena@Dec 7th, 2003 - 7:54 pm

Ooooh, I would love to see Victoria with such a little baby-daughter or son. Couldn´t Daniel II make her one...it isn´t as difficult as it seems ;) :p
Mhm, I think she is still to young. Somehow it would be very strange to me if she had a baby...

Originally posted by Helen88+Dec 8th, 2003 - 8:20 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Helen88 @ Dec 8th, 2003 - 8:20 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@Dec 7th, 2003 - 7:54 pm

Ooooh, I would love to see Victoria with such a little baby-daughter or son. Couldn´t Daniel II make her one...it isn´t as difficult as it seems  ;)  :p
Mhm, I think she is still to young. Somehow it would be very strange to me if she had a baby... [/b][/quote]
Too young? If she would become pregnant now, then she would be 27 at the birth of her baby. I know a lot of girls, who got a baby at the age of 17. I mean that´s not ideal, but they handle it to raise the child too.
Yes, there is a trend to get the children later, because the education for women last longer than let´s say 50 years before. But the biological requirements haven´t accomodated to this change. A woman is in the best age to get a child between 18-25. After the 25th birthday of a woman there´s already a higher risk for complications in the pregnancy or anomalies in the development of the child. And that risks are growing with the age of the mother.
And if Victoria´s father wouldn´t become really old or would suffer from diseases(god forbid!) she wouldn´t have time to be with her children. And as I have read the "Victoria Victoria"-book I know how important the time-for-the child-factor is for her.
But I understand a little bit what you mean. There are a lot of things which are open in Victoria´s life. Her education isn´t finished. Maybe she still wants to get an universtiy degree. And in the relationship to Daniel Westling are a lot of things, which don´t let assume, that they will marry soon.

Lena it would be a nice thing if Victoria was chosen to be the godmother of the new Dutch Princess.

The only case of a Queen being godmother of a heir prince/princess that I recall was: Queen Victoria Federica was Prince Albert of Monaco's baptism godmother. Have there been other cases like this in the Royal Houses?

I would say, that there are many cases, but I just know a few...Queen Margrethe is godmother of cp Willem Alexander, King Harald and Queen Beatrix are godparents of cp Victoria. King Carl Gustaf and Queen Margrethe are godparents of cp Haakon.
Does anybody know (a Yeeeennniiieee-Question ;) ) of whom Victoria is godmother. I know that she´s godmother of Constantine Alexios of Greece, and I think that she´s godmother of the child of her cousin Patrick Sommerlath, are there more?

Does anybody know (a Yeeeennniiieee-Question  ) of whom Victoria is godmother. I know that she´s godmother of Constantine Alexios of Greece, and I think that she´s godmother of the child of her cousin Patrick Sommerlath, are there more?
:p I dont think she has more "official" ones but I´m sure she is godmother to some of her fiends babies.
And if not, they will come!
both Carl Johan "H&M" Persson and his wife Leoni and (according to mags) Caroline Svedin and her husband Peder Dinkelspiel have babies comming soon.

Det känns alltid roligt att bli fadder!

Victoria gudmor till norska prinsessan Ingrid Alexandra
Kronprinsessan Victoria blir gudmor.
Hon tycker det känns toppen att bli fadder till den norska prinsessan Ingrid Alexandra.
- Det känns naturligtvis jättekul, säger hon.
I går meddelade det norska hovet att kronprinsessan Victoria blir gudmor till kronprins Haakon och hans Mette-Marits dotter.

Vickan inte ensam
När Aftonbladet i går kväll träffade Victoria och pojkvännen Daniel Westling utanför prins Carl Philips bostad i centrala Stockholm sa hon:
- Gudmor, ja just det. Det känns alltid roligt att bli fadder.
Hon är inte ensam. Närmast den norska lillprinsessan står naturligtvis farfar kung Harald, faster prinsessan Märtha Louise och mormor Marit Tjessem.

Närvarar vid dopet
Enligt den norska tidningen VG bryter det norska kronprinsparet mot en tidigare tradition när Mette-Marits mamma blir fadder.
Det är första gången som en tronföljare får en fadder som inte är av kunglig börd.
Banden mellan de norska och svenska kungahusen är starka. En av kronprins Haakons faddrar är exempelvis vår svenske kung.
På listan över Ingrid Alexandras faddrar märks också Spaniens kronprins Felipe och den danske kronprinsen Frederik.
Alla kommer förhoppningsvis att närvara vid prinsessans dop i vår.
- Det känns naturligtvis jättekul, säger Victoria som firat påsken i Ockelbo.

Till bröllop i Madrid
- Jag har haft en trevlig påsk, säger Victoria samtidigt som Daniel med ett leende hoppar in i Säpobilen.
I vår kommer kronprinsessan att delta i en rad kungliga festligheter, bland annat i maj då både kronprins Frederik och kronprins Felipe gifter sig.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/0404/13/...ctoria1_368.jpg

Translation of the article in Aftonbladet 13 april:

Picture from the article

It’s always nice to become godmother!
Victoria becomes godmother to the Norwegian Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

Crown Princess Victoria becomes godmother.
She feels that it’s great to become godmother of the Norwegian Princess Ingrid Alexandra.
- Of course it feels really great, she says. Yesterday the Norwegian Royal Court announced that Crown Princess Victoria becomes godmother to Crown Prince Haakon and his Metter-Marit’s daughter.

Vickan not alone
When Aftonbladet met Victoria and her boyfriend Daniel Westling last night outside Prince Carl Philip’s apartment in central Stockholm, she said:
- Godmother, yes that’s right. It’s always nice to become godmother.
She is not alone. Closest to the Norwegian little princess is of course grandfather King Harald’s, aunt Princess Märtha Louise and maternal grandmother Marit Tjessem.

Attends the christening
According to the Norwegian newspaper VG, the Norwegian Crown Princely couple breaks the previous tradition when Mette-Marti’s mother becomes godmother.
It is the first time that an Heir to the Throne gets a godmother- or father that is not of royal descent.

The ties between the Norwegian and Swedish Royal Houses are strong. One of Crown Prince Haakon’s godfathers is for example our Swedish King.

On the list of Ingrid Alexandra’s godfather’s are also Spain’s Crown Prince Felipe and the Danish Crown Prince Fredrik.

Everyone will hopefully attend the christening this spring.
- Of course it feels great, says Victoria who has celebrated her Easter in Ockelbo.

To the wedding in Madrid
- I have had a nice Easter, says Victoria at the same time that Daniel with a smile jumps into the SÄPO car.

This spring Victoria will take part in a row of royal festivities, among them in May when Crown Prince Fredrik and Crown Prince Felipe gets married.

" It’s always nice to become godmother!"
-This sounds as if Victoria would become godmother every week ;)

Does anybody know how often she became godmother? I know that she´s godmother of Constantine Alexios, and now of Ingrid Alexandra...and there were rumours, that she and her Ex, Daniel Collert, would become godparents of the "H&M-baby" Ian, son of her friend Leonie Persson and there was another rumour, which said, that she would become godmother of the child of her cousin Patrick Sommerlath...

Originally posted by Lena@Apr 13th, 2004 - 1:54 pm
" It’s always nice to become godmother!"
-This sounds as if Victoria would become godmother every week ;)

Does anybody know how often she became godmother? I know that she´s godmother of Constantine Alexios, and now of Ingrid Alexandra...
You're right, Lena, Victoria does sound as if everyday she is asked to be the godmother to some little baby! Maybe she feels like it is "old hat."

Out of curiosity, what is the role royal godparents play in the lives of the children to whom they are godparents to? Aside from the baptism day of Konstantin Alexios, has Victoria spent more time with him? Or is she a godmother in name only? I have an 8-year-old goddaughter and see her at least once a week and we spend a lot of time together. But considering busy schedules and geography, how much time does Victoria get to spend with Konstantin Alexios?

(Maybe this topic is better discussed here: Godparents

Hm, I´m now not sure, where I should post..here or in the godparents-thread. But as I don´t know, which role Royal godparents play and as I want to say something about Victoria I post here...

I doubt, that Victoria has seen Konstantin Alexios very often. Maybe when she studied in the USA she sometimes met him... the meaner part "in" me is thinking " Marie Chantal and Victoria-poles apart" :innocent: ;)
But I´m not sure how often these young Royals call each other, write e-mails or letters....in the last months it seemed to me, as if Victoria would go through a "my boyfriend and me against the world"-phase...she mostly spent her spare time with Daniel II. In opposite to earlier years, where she e.g. went skiing with Märtha-Lousie and Haakon. But it could of course be, that the paparazzos just didn´t catch them...

Back to the godparents...I´m so far not a godmother (my friends don´t have kids until now and in my family aren´t younger kids than 7 years old...), but if I would be asked, I would just become godmother, if I could make sure, that I can spend time with the kid...in other words, that I´m close enough to the parents of the child... and I think, that these Royal godparents should be aware of their responsibility too...ok, a Royal baby can´t be compared to a not Royal baby...it usually has more godparents, who come from different nations. But in spite of that I would wish, that the Royal godparents would visit the child sometimes and would send him/her presents for xmas or birthday.
And in the case of Victoria I hope that she will be something like a "tutor" or "teacher" for the younger female successor-generation...I can already see it "Victoria´s Queen school, opened in 2020" ;)

BTW I believe to remember that prince Pavlos said, that he just expects that the Royal godparents sometimes call...

Originally posted by Lena@Apr 13th, 2004 - 7:51 pm
I doubt, that Victoria hasn´t seen Konstantin Alexios very often. Maybe when she studied in the USA she sometimes met him... the meaner part "in" me is thinking " Marie Chantal and Victoria-poles apart" :innocent: ;)
Was Victoria in the U.S. at school after Konstantin Alexios was born? I thought she was studying in the U.S. before he was born. ... But I agree with you about Victoria and Marie Chantal. I just can't see MC inviting Victoria over for Sunday dinner ...

and I think, that these Royal godparents should be aware of their responsibility too...ok, a Royal baby can´t be compared to a not Royal baby...it usually has more godparents, who come from different nations. But in spite of that I would wish, that the Royal godparents would visit the child sometimes and would send him/her presents for xmas or birthday.

Gifts are nice, but I strongly believe/feel that being a godparent is about more than just giving gifts or calling at Christmas time and birthdays only. Even at 8, my godddaughter remembers the special things we have done, even when she was only 3 she remembers a special project we did together. But she probably can't tell you what I gave her a gift for her 3rd birthday.

I certainly do hope that these royal godparents take seriously the role they have been priviliged with, and not sipmly taking it on because they have been asked. (Although how would you turn down such a request? :( )

And in the case of Victoria I hope that she will be something like a "tutor" or "teacher" for the younger female successor-generation...I can already see it "Victoria´s Queen school, opened in 2020" ;)

And of course Victoria is in a unique position to mentor and be an example to Ingrid Alexandra as none of her other godparents can.

Konstantin-Alexios was baptized in spring 1999 and Victoria studied until June 2000 in the USA...so it could have been, that she was invited of them.

Yes, you´re right with the gifts...but what I´ve meant wasn´t just these usual gifts (toys, clothes-e.g buyed at Marie Chantal´s boutique ;) , or silver spoons...) buyed of the adjutants or ladies in waiting, but something personal, something you can just give, when you feel something for the person, and when you know a lot about him/her...

Crown Princess Victoria left for Norway on Friday, to attend the christening of Ingrid Alexandra on Saturday - and arriving in Oslo - Crown Prince Haakon personally came to the airport to greet her.

Pictures:

Pictures at Colourpress

I have always gotten the impression that Haakon and Victoria get along extremely well. They seem thrown together more often than most of the young royals. But this just shows it, very nice of him to come meet her at the airport.

How nice, Haakon is carrying her luggage. That are nice pictures, thanx.
Victoria looked really gooood at the christening, very happy indeed.

Today Victoria became godmother!
Marius carried the christening light as his little sister was named

Translated article from Aftonbladet, 17 April

Now Victoria is godmother
Princess Ingrid Alexandra was screaming in the chapel as she was carried forward by grandfather, King Harald. Afterwards the Crown Princely couple waved from the balcony to the chorus of thousands of cheering Norwegians. At 13:00, the Crown Princely couple came out to wave together with the newly christened little princess and big brother Marius, Mette-Marti’s son from a previous relationship.

Marius played an important role at the christening because he carried the christening candle accompanied by bishop Gunnar Stålsett and Olav Dag Hauge.

The Norwegian Crown Prince was shining along with the sun already this morning.

First to arrive was Mette-Marit’s father Sven O Høiby, who arrived alone but who was soon noticed by foreign TV-teams who where waiting outside the palace in Oslo.

Imaginative hat
Just before 10:00, the main characters along with the guest arrived. Crown Princess Mette-Marit was wearing a light pink suit with a light grey imaginative spring hat while Crown Prince Haakon had chosen a strict parade uniform.

Crown Princess Victoria was wearing a turquoise suit.
- This is going to be really fun, I’m very happy, Victoria said yesterday when she arrived at the Gardemoen airport.

Little Princess Ingrid Alexandra is getting a row of royal heirs as sponsors – except grandfather King Harald and Haakon’s sister Princess Märtha-Louise, also the Swedish Crown Princess plus a Danish and Spanish heir, Crown Princes Fredrik and Felipe. Also Mette-Marit’s mother Marit Tjessem will be godmother – the only one without royal descent.

The Prince's said no thank you
Both Crown Prince’s have declined to come to the christening – both are getting married in just weeks – but Crown Princess Victoria arrived to Oslo already yesterday. According to information by the Norwegian news agency NTB, she will travel home to Sweden on Sunday.

The only surprise that was left for the christening was which christening robe little Princess Ingrid Alexandra was going to wear. It came out to be the same one that King Olav once was christened in at Sandringham on 11 August 1903, when he was still Prince Alexander Edward Christian Fredrik. The gown was restored already last summer for an exhibition.

The christening in the palace chapel begun at 12:00.

Princess facts
On 4 July last year, on Queen Sonja’s birthday, the Norwegian Royal House announced that Mette-Marit was pregnant.

The Princess, who can be Norway’s first female regent, was born at Rikshospitalet in Oslo at 9:13 on Wednesday 21 January this year, one day before the calculated birth.
- She is the world’s most beautiful, said the proud father, seemingly touched and elated a few hours after the delivery.

Haakon was present during the delivery and described it as “incredibly nice and strong”. Mette-Marit, who became Crown Princess after she married Haakon, has since earlier the son Marius, who turns eight this year.

Click here to see pictures from the christening ceremony at Colourpress

Great – godmother Victoria!

Translated article from Expressen, 17 April

OSLO.
The stir outside the palace in Oslo was huge on Saturday. At lunchtime, little Princess Ingrid Alexandra, soon to be three months, was christened. One of her godmothers, Crown Princess Victoria, was radiantly happy – despite that Norway’s coming queen burst into loud cries in the palace chapel.

Ingrid Alexandra’s father, Crown Prince Haakon, tried in vain to comfort her while mother Mette-Marit read from the Bible, in the of osier and Ingrid Alexandra roses decorated chapel. Grandfather King Harald carried the Crown Princely coupled firstborn to the christening in a christening robe that was last used at the christening in 1903 by Olav, later King of Norway. Big brother Marius, correctly dressed in a jacket, carried the traditional christening candle. Mother Mette-Marit in a pink suit, had a very funny hat in the form of a bow-like grey loops decorated with several grey butterflies.
- We are enormously happy, said Crown Princess Victoria, one of the sponsors, as she came to the chapel.

Finally paternal grandfather met the baby
Both King Harald, who has just gone back to duty after his canter surgery, and father Haakon, was wearing parade uniforms and red order ribbons. Bishop Gunnar Stålsett conducted the ceremony together with the dean Olav Dag Hauge. Crown Princess Victoria, 26, came to the palace early this morning. She had flowers in her hair and was wearing a light green skirt, flower jacket and pink court shoes.

The cream of the Norwegian establishment was there, except the royal guests, among others the Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik, foreign minister Jan Petersen, former Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and the Fremskrif party’s leader Carl I Hagen. The biggest surprise among the guests was Mette-Marti’s father Sven O Høiby, who for many years has had problems with the relationship to his daughter. For the first time, he got to see his grandchild today.

Received the people’s cheer
After the christening, the members of the Royal House came out on the balcony that faces the parade street Karl Johann. It was Crown Princess Mette-Marit that held little Ingrid Alexandra in her arms. On the balcony were also Crown Prince Haakon, King Harald, Queen Sonja and little Marius, who smiled awkwardly.

The joy had no limits among the thousands of Norwegians who had been standing outside for hours to get to see the little princess. The Norwegians cheered, vawed flags and sang songs to her tribute.
- The princess is very cute, said a ten-year-old girl among the crowd.

Two royalist feminists, 14 years olds Silje Letting and Ann Naureen was also there.
- We were here when they got married as well. Back then we shouted “monarchy rules”, said one of the girls.

At this present time, a lunch is held were also Crown Princess Victoria is taking part. Victoria got to meet the little girl (Ingrid Alexandra) already yesterday, and thought she was very pretty.

Click here to see pictures from the christening ceremony at Colourpress

Lovely photos of a lovely woman. Thanks for posting them.

I don´t know if the dutch court has already confirmed the godparents. But it seems as if crown princess Victoria would be one. The (just updated) calendar on www.royalcourt.se says, that she will be present at the baptism.

I knew it, I knew it!!!!

She will be a great godmother!!!

Dutch Court haven't confirmed the godparents, but Victoria's presence has to mean something!!

I love Sweden!!

Congratulations to Victoria. Godmother again!

To which children is Victoria godmother? Seems like she is the best choice for this new round of Crown Princesses. She will truly be one of the only people to understand what they will go thru.

Originally posted by megknight@Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:19 pm
To which children is Victoria godmother? Seems like she is the best choice for this new round of Crown Princesses. She will truly be one of the only people to understand what they will go thru.
I agree...the little princesses can learn a lot from Victoria.
As much as I know Victoria is godmother of Constantine Alexios of Greece, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, and now high likely of Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands.
She surely is also godmother of children in her circle of friends. There were rumours that she became godmother of the child of her cousin Patrick Sommerlath (nephew of her mother...he´s living in Stockholm) and of the child of H&M "heir" Karl Johan Persson.

On Saturday the baptism of princess Catharina Amalia of the Netherlands takes place! And cp Victoria is her godmother

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 9th, 2004 - 4:58 pm
On Saturday the baptism of princess Catharina Amalia of the Netherlands takes place! And cp Victoria is her godmother
So she is collecting little princesses? ;)

Does anyone now how it is with protestants as Victoria is.

If Victoria would be a Roman Catholic Godmother Catherina Amalia would be seen as an offspring of her by the Roman Catholic Law.

Yes, she probably has an own little album, in which she pastes pictures of her little goddaughters into, and then she´s telling Daniel full of proud " I´ve one new...yeah, I have one new" :p

As far as I know it´s not a problem to have as protestant child a catholic godparent or vice versa.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 9th, 2004 - 5:10 pm

As far as I know it´s not a problem to have as protestant child a catholic godparent or vice versa.
Even if she would be Jewish or Muslim she could be. Thats not the point. I wonder if the consequences are the same, even if rather unimportant nowadays!

Back
Top Bottom