Victoria, Daniel and Family, General News Part 3: June 2014 - Sept. 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Martina Uthardt in Maalahti, in Ostrobothnia in Finland published last year a book "Oscar at an Adventure". With the book she wanted to highlight the problem of summer cats (people taking kittens for a summer and then they abandon them when they leave their summer houses and the autumn comes). The book is a story about cat Oscar left by his family when the autumn comes. Oscar encounters many adventures before he finally finds a new home. The book is in swedish.
- I got the idea to send a copy to Princess Estelle. I thought that the princess could also benefit from the book and enjoy it. But above all, I think it is fun to highlight Ostrobothnia. So what is well better than to give them a book filled with photographs from Ostrobothnia, says Uthardt.
Martina also wrote a letter in which she told of Ostrobothnia. Meanwhile, she highlighted the importance that we should take care of our animals.
- Apparently they liked the book. It is great fun, says Uthardt.
Yet, it is quite difficult for her to imagine Prince Daniel who reads aloud from her book for the little princess.
- I have a little hard to see that. But wouldn't it be funny if it would be so, Uthardt laughs.
Martina Uthardt was quite surprised when ä letter came to her mailbox.
- Not I had expected that they would have energy to send a thank you. They must surely get a lot of gifts. But it was a nice surprise.
A letter arrived from the Royal Palace. Helena Garofalo who works for Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, sent warm thanks of the book Uthardt had sent to Princess Estelle.
First she thought to keep the letter of the folder in which she collected all the material about her books.
- But I've got so many reactions from this. Everyone thinks it's fantastic. I think I'll frame it and hang it on the wall next to a photo of Oscar.
Martina fick brev från svenska hovet _ Österbotten _ svenska.yle.fi
The cover of the book
http://martinauthardtfoto.weebly.com/uploads/2/7/1/0/27108175/2176127.png?449

Svensk Damtidning has an article of duchies, how the king decides what duchy a child gets, how many times the landscapes have chosen as duchies, which landscapes haven't been duchies at all.
They have called to governor Lars Bäckström from Västra Götaland county and asked him what it means that the crown princess couple are their duchess and duke?
- The crown princess couple is appreciated in the whole Sweden, not the least because of their own desire to take part and support those parts of the society which aren't always noticed. Of course their feelings towards Västra Götaland are especially strong, because they devote a big part of their time right here.
What they can do for Västra Götaland?
- They are doing more than we can request from them. Although the crown princess and prince Daniel have so many other responsibilities, they have never let their focus go away from Västra Götaland. During the spring the duchess and the duke visited our county many times and raised the questions about young leadership, entrepreneurship and the importance of integration. And in 2010 they did a trip to Västra Götaland which inspired many powers to increase their efforts.
Bäckström also reminded of the visit which the crown princess made in 2008 in connection to when Al Gore received The Gothenburg Award for Sustainable Development.
- Her attendance was important to get more attention, and after that, like said, she has paid notice to many important issues in our county and made many visits here.
How often you expect them to come to an official visit?
- We know that the duchess and the duke visit Västra Götaland as often as their calendars give them a possibility to do so.

I read on the court calendar and it has posted that Victoria and Daniel are visiting Varmland in November.

Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Varmland is Carl Philip and Sofia's duchy. I thought the princesses and princes stayed in their own lane when it came to visiting their duchies. Is it because Victoria as the future queen can be deployed to all counties and duchies in Sweden, although it's connected to her siblings?

I just found out she is pregnant. I am so happy for them and happy that they didn't rush to have children like some other families. Its nice that Estelle was an only child for awhile.

I read on the court calendar and it has posted that Victoria and Daniel are visiting Varmland in November.

Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Varmland is Carl Philip and Sofia's duchy. I thought the princesses and princes stayed in their own lane when it came to visiting their duchies. Is it because Victoria as the future queen can be deployed to all counties and duchies in Sweden, although it's connected to her siblings?

I have posted news of the visit to Victoria and Daniel current events thread when governor Kenneth Johansson told in September about that he invited Victoria and Daniel to visit Värmland and they accepted the invitation and visit Värmland on 18th November. Like the king and queen, Victoria and Daniel try to visit municipalities and counties all over Sweden, often these visits are two-three days long, visit to Värmland is for one day only. So visiting Carl Philip's duchy isn't anything special. And Carl Philip has of course done work duties at Victoria's and Daniel's duchy Västergötland.

Last edited:
Daniel was on yesterday evening at the Maxim Theatre in Stockholm at Morgan Alling's "En föreställning om kärlek" (A Show about Love). Morgan Alling posted a photo of them to his Instagram and tells that Daniel loved the show and said that everyone should see it.
https://instagram.com/p/805ELcHDnx/

Actor Morgan Alling was one of the speakers at the Crown Princess Couple's Foundation's seminar on May. He talked about his childhood and upbringing as "maskrosbarn" and how he broke away from his social inheritance and managed to turn life's miseries into something constructive. Maskrosbarn have often an extremely difficult upbringing in a dysfunctional family of multi-problem-nature.

Last edited:
Victoria and Daniel were on Saturday 3rd October at Wanås Konst (Wanås Art), they attended at the inauguration of autumn exhibition "Dubblering". The swedish radio has a story about it. Elisabeth Millqvist from Wanås Konst tells that Victoria and Daniel got a guided tour, they are really interested in art and they had the chance to tell about their work, the pedagogy, they are interested in that, for children and young people and even for people with special needs. That is perhaps the cause which brought them there.
Höstutställningen ”Dubblering” på Wanås - P4 Kristianstad _ Sveriges Radio

Article at Kristianstadsbladet (only for registrated), small photo
Wanås utställning fick kungligt besök - Kristianstadsbladet

Photos
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010060011G14449785151124835

Victoria and Daniel visited Wanås Konst shortly in September 2014 when they were on a visit at Östra Göinge.

Last edited:
One more photo from Victoria's and Daniel's visit to Wanås Konst on 3rd October.

Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, visits "Prayer (Malmö)" at Wanås Konst. "Prayer (Malmö)," 2015, is a multi-channel sound installation comprising recordings of prayer and vocal worship from religions in Malmö, broadcast simultaneously from 12 floor-based speakers. Each speaker transmits its own separate selection of prayers, arranged consecutively and looped, so that when all speakers play at the same time an ever ever-changing sound environment is experienced. The audience may wander freely through the installation, listening to the polyphony of voices from all the speakers at once, or alternatively, kneel down to listen to individual prayers broadcast from any particular speaker. Started in 2000, the project is created in situ every time, and the prayers are collected from all the different religious groups operating in the host city, e.g. Malmö.
https://instagram.com/p/8dA21kOGFp/?taken-by=theotherjameswebb

Victoria & Daniel von Schweden_ Abends zuhause am Esstisch ... _ BUNTE.de
Translation

A tweet from Wednesday
"The Swan Lake at the Opera with the crown princess couple, first time I see the Royal box used"
https://twitter.com/holmkw/status/659470487102320640
Another tweet
"Royal @RoyalOpera. In every way! Brilliant performance of Swan Lake. And Estelle has apparently babysitter tonight ..."
https://twitter.com/karindalberg/status/659451832687816704

The premiere of Swan Lake was on Friday 23rd October.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Victoria & Daniel von Schweden_ Abends zuhause am Esstisch ... _ BUNTE.de
Translation

A tweet from Wednesday
"The Swan Lake at the Opera with the crown princess couple, first time I see the Royal box used"
https://twitter.com/holmkw/status/659470487102320640
Another tweet
"Royal @RoyalOpera. In every way! Brilliant performance of Swan Lake. And Estelle has apparently babysitter tonight ..."
https://twitter.com/karindalberg/status/659451832687816704

The premiere of Swan Lake was on Friday 23rd October.

I understand that the King and Queen are frequently at the Opera so it should not be so unusual to see the Royal box used.

DI Weekend, a Friday magazine of Dagens Industri, has followed Daniel in his work and Daniel gave a large interview to them.
After five years as husband to Sweden's future queen, Prince Daniel has carved out his own role in the public sphere, where health and entrepreneurship are his priority issues. "It is fantastic to represent an institution that can act as a unifying force for good when it is at it's best", he says.

Prince Daniel of Fatherhood:
"When you hear your daughter roaring with laughter one becomes really reminded of what life is about. You just want to be there and then, and look after her needs".
Monarchy:
"I think it's great that it can be an apolitical, joint force for people of different opinions in different parts of society. King's tsunami speech is the best example of it in modern times".
His acclaimed wedding speech to Crown Princess Victoria:
"It's great that it was well received, but I have higher ambitions with my mission than that. I do not want it to be the only thing you will remember me".

It has been ten years since Di Weekend met Daniel Westling, for his first big interview. Now we have followed him during some hectic work weeks, and he knows exactly what he wants to convey: "I want to tell you how I have interpreted this role. I want to show what questions I have taken up, what I run for and what challenges we face in society", he says.

Daniel at Karlstad with Prince Daniel Fellowship: "When we are in the schools it's not my role to be the great entrepreneur, that's why the others are there. But I like to talk about my experiences, for the health and fitness industry can be a little more understandable than the IT industry. That one needs staff, little equipment and a local to start a gym is easy to understand".
The students were told how he wrote training programs to his mates already at age 16, how he became one of the first personal trainers and how he eventually converted his great passion for health to gym companies Master Training and Balance. Students heard also that they shouldn't be afraid to start a business with their friends (You don't want to take a financial risk with someone you don't know) and that they should treat failures as necessary experience.
Are there any own examples of that?
"Absolutely. When my friends and I launched Balance, we were so optimistic about the concept that we thought people would stand in line, but it doesn't work like that. We should have thought marketing and pricing better at start. Now the owners had to invest more money and everything took longer. I learned a lot of that".
Prince Daniel is also an example of a desire to be his own boss and to have control over his own time. But when he became prince, he left operational missions and board membership of his gyms, where he is a silent partner.
Wasn't it difficult having to leave your companies?
"I do not think so. In this role, I get an outlet for my entrepreneurial talent in other ways, I have, for example, put together this program with the Royal Academy of Engineering Sciences. Another project I have started is the Foundation En Frisk Generation that organizes physical activities for families in resource-poor areas. I also want to have total focus on this mission. No one should be able to say that I'm sitting on double chairs. As a Prince I should do good and serve Sweden and the Swedish people. It may sound a bit pretentious, but that's exactly what it's about".

The time is just before nine in the morning and Prince Daniel will give a speech at a welfare seminar at the Grand Hôtel.
"Today is a good day", he shouts energetically, although a ten hours long work day with three appearances awaits. He gives his speech without a script, and my tape recorder shows that he keeps his specified time almost to the second. There is no one else on the speakers who does that. The Marshal of the Court, Karolin A. Johansson tells that Prince Daniel usually writes his speeches himself, but he balls them with his employees in advance.
He speaks of the plague of our time, diseases of affluence. A paradox is that Swedes are the people in Europe who train the most, while among those who mostly sit still. "Sedentary is the new smoking", he says, citing research that shows that we can reduce insulin and blood glucose levels by 30 and 7 percent respectively for standing up and walking around for three minutes every half hour.
Prince Daniel knows what it means to be sick. Six years ago, he went through a kidney transplant after a few tough months of dialysis. He suffered from a congenital but not hereditary disease that was discovered by accident when he was a teenager. His father Olle Westling donated the new kidney: "When the kidneys are not working properly, the blood becomes poisoned. Just a few hours after the transplant, I felt so clean and clear, it was amazing".
He has spoken increasingly about the transplantation last year: "In the beginning I didn't think it was so fun to talk about and it felt private, but I have realized that I need to be able to contribute in the way I can. My message is that if you are willing to receive an organ for yourself or to a relative, you must also be willing to give. Actually, it's that simple".

Children and parents have gathered for an evening shift in taekwondo in a school in Haninge. The children get wide-eyed as Prince Daniel turns up. He throws off his jacket and tie and sits next to a little girl: "You don't actually want to be with? You know, sometimes my daughter wants also take it easy at first but then she usually gets started after a while".
It's not long before the girl goes around with the other kids, and the prince is sure to show to her that he has noticed it. The idea for the foundation is his own, and he turned to Professor Claude Marcus at Karolinska Institute, who helped him find the operations manager Anja Nordenfelt leading the effort.
"En Frisk Generation is special because the parents are with the children, the entire family's health is affected. Moreover, it's not so easy to get into sports clubs nowadays, if you are ten years old and want to play football", said Prince Daniel.
The training is free and different sports are tested on during the semester. After each pass there is a nutritious dinner.

After military service, Prince Daniel worked a year with children with special needs in schools and recreation centers. Before that he had also worked nearly nine months as a care assistant in a nursing home.
"I've always had a good relationship with my grandparents and I have great respect for the elderly. I like people of all ages, pure and simple. Now I sound like a very cute guy, but it's true. In this role, I have been grateful for that experience many times. I know what it is to care for demented people. They should be showered, fed and given medicines. It is an experience to carry with throughout your life".
When he as 18 years old began working in an elderly home, it was quite unusual with young guys in healthcare.
"But you know young guys are popular in health care because it is very heavy lifting to do. And I really wanted to prove that I did a good job, oh how I lay flat and hoovered under the couches at home of the ladies".
Ambitious already then?
"Well, I've always had a pretty good draft in my work ethic".

A few weeks ago, the court announced that Princess Estelle will have a sibling in March.
"The emotions are all over the place, as usual", said Prince Daniel.
A few days before our interview, he visited a home for unaccompanied minors with Crown Princess Victoria.
"We visit both homes for unaccompanied and asylum lodging at regular intervals. After such conversations, it is impossible not to be touched and wants make a difference", said Prince Daniel.
He tells about a visit when they went around the circle and each child told of their origins and their contacts with relatives and friends.
"Ultimately it was 15-year-old boy, who raised his hand. 'It's only me', he said. He had no track of a single family member, uncle, aunt or friend. He was all alone, could not speak the language and had traumatic experiences".
Prince Daniel finds it frustrating not being able to do whatever he wants in those situations: "What we can do is to try to spread joy and encouragement and be a voice for the difficult questions."

Being a prince has given him a deeper understanding and knowledge of how society looks, he says. It has been a bit easier to get into his work than he thought.
"It's probably because I was recognized far before I got my public role in connection with the engagement. I also had an understanding of what it meant by my 'role model', which is my wife. She had really shown how this work should be performed".
Has it been difficult to define your own mission at her side?
"Both yes and no. My main task is to be her support, especially in her next assignment as head of state. But she is happy that I have found my own areas, so that we can make good on a broader front. She burns especially for the environment, international development cooperation and peace work, as she has a more general role".
It is 13 years since he became acquainted with Crown Princess Victoria and he has had time to adapt to royal life.
"I live very much here and now. But when I meet my old Ockelbo Gang, who I've known since I was five years old, any of them can say: Imagine how it was nevertheless'. Then it is clear that I reflect".
After completion of martial arts training practitioners have dinner with the prince. "I love the meetings with the kids," he says.
»Jag låg raklång och dammsög under sofforna hos tanterna« - Di Weekend

Last edited:
:previous: thank you for the translation :flowers:
wonderful interview

Yes, it is a great interview, and the photos are great too.
In the beginning of the article the reporter tells that The Master of Chamber, Jonas Wallin shows them around at the Haga Palace and tells about the Crown Princess Couple's great interest in Swedish contemporary art. One of Prince Daniel's personal favorites is Paul Fägerskiöld, but there are also works by artists such as Ralf Turander, Siri Berg and Lars Englund.
"Moderna Museet has been very accommodating and deposited a part of the art here", says Wallin.

Johan T Lindwall about the interview
Daniel_ _Som prins ska jag göra gott_ _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Di Weekend Instagram, the cover of the magazine
https://instagram.com/p/9oBBQISwG9/

Last edited:
A very good interview. Prince Daniel did very well.

Crown princess Victoria's portfolio of shares is worth over 20 million SEK. The portfolio consists of big swedish companies and holdings are characterized by long-term. The greatest post she has Wallenberg Årnäs investment company Investor in which Victoria holds shares for just over 3.9 million. She also owns shares at financier Fredrik Lundberg's Industrivärden shares for just over 3 million, and in Lundbergföretagen for more than half a million.
Other holdings include Ericsson, Latour, Ratos, SKF, Sandvik, Nordea, SEB, Getinge and H & M.
Kronprinsessans aktier värda över 20 miljoner - di.se

Crown princess Victoria's portfolio of shares is worth over 20 million SEK. The portfolio consists of big swedish companies and holdings are characterized by long-term. The greatest post she has Wallenberg Årnäs investment company Investor in which Victoria holds shares for just over 3.9 million. She also owns shares at financier Fredrik Lundberg's Industrivärden shares for just over 3 million, and in Lundbergföretagen for more than half a million.
Other holdings include Ericsson, Latour, Ratos, SKF, Sandvik, Nordea, SEB, Getinge and H & M.
Kronprinsessans aktier värda över 20 miljoner - di.se

20 mill SEK is only $3-4 mill. That is a rather small portfolio.

Thank you LadyFinn! It is always pleasant to seePrince Daniel relaxed and in a carefree mood!

Today's is the Father's Day in Sweden, and Svensk Damtidning has an article about Daniel as a father.
Svensk Damtidning tells, that Daniel tries to find time on Friday afternoons for him and Estelle, he picks Estelle up from her preschool a little earlier, and they go to Kulturhuset City Theatre, their cozy "Rum för barn" (Room for the children), where they read books, make handicrafts and paint. Daniel wants Estelle to be able to do "normal" things, some months ago they went to a tunnelbana (metro) so that Estelle would know what her friends are talking about when they tell that they have gone to a tunnelbana.
Svensk Damtidning also tells that just recently Estelle started to go to Knatteskutt once a week. Knatteskutt is one of the largest organizations in children's sports, operates in 150 cities / areas and has both sports and dance focus. The children aged 3-7 years may try several sports activities or dance styles, focusing on play and motor skills. Sounds suitable for a girl whose father is a former personal trainer, doesn't it?

Last edited:
^^^ That's very interesting! I guess these are litle tidbits of their private life, which give us insights on the good parenting the couple has done so far with Estelle!

@Lady Finn - Great article about Daniel. It's nice to read about his views, his work ethic, and his desire to use his royal role for Sweden. I also like he wants Estelle to have "normal" experiences such as riding the subway (metro). (Not so normal - I imagine there are a lot of Sapo officers on that ride.) It's nice he has father/daughter time with Estelle. I'm glad he still hangs out with his old friends when he can. They seem like real friends - people that are not running to the tabloids.

Happy Father's Day, Prince Daniel.

@Lady Finn - Great article about Daniel. It's nice to read about his views, his work ethic, and his desire to use his royal role for Sweden. I also like he wants Estelle to have "normal" experiences such as riding the subway (metro). (Not so normal - I imagine there are a lot of Sapo officers on that ride.) It's nice he has father/daughter time with Estelle. I'm glad he still hangs out with his old friends when he can. They seem like real friends - people that are not running to the tabloids.

Happy Father's Day, Prince Daniel.

Actually I don't think there were relatively few Sapo officers. In the Instagram pictures people posted of father and daughter riding the metro Daniel can be seen chatting with one or two men waiting to board the carriage. If we add someone undercover that could be it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Kudos to Daniel (and Victoria of course) about giving Estelle various tastes of "normal for plebs" life and that she does not live in a bubble behind the walls of the palace. No wonder then why is Estelle so much very well mannered and relaxed in public meetings.

Last edited:
Daniel will inaugurate the new Perslunda School in Ockelbo next year.
- Fantastic, honoring and really nice that Prince Daniel will return to his old school, said municipal commissioner Magnus Jonsson.
The school has been refurbished and an extension has been built. Now it is clear that Prince Daniel will be involved when new Perslunda School is inaugurated.
- Prince Daniel has accepted the request he received from Ockelbo Municipality, says Ulrika Näsholm from the Royal Court.
But it wasn't only Prince Daniel who received an invitation. Even Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Estelle were invited to participate in the opening ceremony.
Will also Crown Princess Victoria come to the ceremony?
- I don't know. I just know that Prince Daniel yesterday, on Wednesday said yes to the invitation he received from Ockelbo, says Näsholm.
Prince Daniel went on Perslunda School from grades seven to nine in the 80s.
- It's fun that he now returns to his old school and sees how top modern it has become, says commissioner Jonsson.
No exact date is still not yet confirmed when the inauguration takes place.
- It will be somewhere between late January and early February, says project manager Carita Carter.
Prins Daniel inviger nya Perslundaskolan

Last edited:
A Chinese developer uses a photo of Victoria and Daniel at their ad and hopes that with the couple they can attract condo buyers.
When SVT News calls the court they stand unaware of the commercial.
- No, this is new, Margareta Thorgren says.
What does the court think about that the Crown princess and prince figure in the Chinese advertisement?
- We shall look at it and come back.
Kim Rathcke Jensen, China correspondent for the Danish newspaper Politiken, who first discovered the poster.
It is tempting to believe that the advertiser has selected the photo unaware that there are the Crown Princess and Prince. A possible reason is that the advertiser has instead chosen image on other grounds. Perhaps they think that the Prince and Crown Princess are "Western-style representative", that they are beautiful, or that people want to buy apartments when they see them.
If so, is it then something that changes the court's attitude to advertising?
- I don't know ... I look at it and come back, says Thorgren.
She announced later in email to SVT News that the court engages its legal adviser in the case.
Kronprinsessparet används för att sälja bostäder i Kina - Nyheter _ SVT.se
Translation

I didn't understand what the chinese advertisers used their picture for... to see what? Apartments in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom