The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Royal Highness

I remember that when Martha-Louise of Norway got married, Ari Behn stood alone at the alter without a best man.

I envisage a very simple, elegant design for Victoria's dress with a similar neck-line and bodice to her blue engagement dress, with a very long court train from the shoulders or a skirt style and train similar to Letizia's.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Majesty

Just to se what dresses Lars Walin has done for the royal family
Victoria
http://www.svenskdamtidning.se/0670f...237e4557.fodoc

http://www.svenskdamtidning.se/66f2c...2c4696f7.fodoc
from svensk damtidning

Madeleine
http://www.svenskdamtidning.se/4c028...48ff7f0c.fodoc
from svensk damtidning''

Pär Engsheden

http://lottaskungligamode.blogg.se/i...n_23354380.jpg
from svensk damtidning''

http://lottaskungligamode.blogg.se/i...g_27070718.jpg
from svensk damtidning'' - maybe per

http://lottaskungligamode.blogg.se/i...l_23315184.jpg
from svensk damtidning''

Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
There is no Tradition of giving the bride away in Sweden. Most likely she walk down the aisle with Daniel. Also the King and Queen walked down the aisle together and Silvia was not given away by her father.
This is correct, and I really hope they wont break the Swedish tradition: the bride and the groom walking together.
Two grown up people who made a common decision to get married, walking together into the church to make their promises in front of God and all the guests...sooooo beautiful and right!

When I got married it was no discussion at all about this. I would never ever let my father give me away like something he owned to another man to own. Im not a THING, but a human being, grown up woman... big no no no! (I was 29 -Victoria is going to be 33, 15 years since she turned 18...) ... And to walk into the church on my wedding day together w another man than my husband to be no way!
Me and my husband was walking togheter ( bride to the left when you walk in, and to the right when you walk out). This is the Swedish way and tradition.
But I know, some wedding couples in Sweden want the old father to handle over the bride... they have seen movies from USA and GB and other europe and think thats the way to do it, but its totally against the tradition in Sweden. I dont like it. I will be VERY disapointed if Victoria is given away (just listen to how it sounds -given away) by the King...Victoria and Daniel are toghether into this, lets hope they walk together into the church!
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
This is correct, and I really hope they wont break the Swedish tradition: the bride and the groom walking together.
Two grown up people who made a common decision to get married, walking together into the church to make their promises in front of God and all the guests...sooooo beautiful and right!

When I got married it was no discussion at all about this. I would never ever let my father give me away like something he owned to another man to own. Im not a THING, but a human being, grown up woman... big no no no! (I was 29 -Victoria is going to be 33, 15 years since she turned 18...) ... And to walk into the church on my wedding day together w another man than my husband to be no way!
Me and my husband was walking togheter ( bride to the left when you walk in, and to the right when you walk out). This is the Swedish way and tradition.
But I know, some wedding couples in Sweden want the old father to handle over the bride... they have seen movies from USA and GB and other europe and think thats the way to do it, but its totally against the tradition in Sweden. I dont like it. I will be VERY disapointed if Victoria is given away (just listen to how it sounds -given away) by the King...Victoria and Daniel are toghether into this, lets hope they walk together into the church!
I totally agree with you - they should follow the Swedish tradition and walk into the church toghether!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Royal Highness

Oh I think it's a great tradition for the bride and groom to walk down the aisle together - will they arrive at the cathedral seperately and greet eachother like Haakon and Mette-Marit did?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Oh I think it's a great tradition for the bride and groom to walk down the aisle together - will they arrive at the cathedral seperately and greet eachother like Haakon and Mette-Marit did?
Most likely. In 1976, The King and Miss Silvia Sommerlath arrived seperately, and the King greeted her with a kiss on the cheek before the inner church doors openeded and they proceeded to walk together to the altar.
I think it's a lovely tradition as well, and it also has a more modern feeling to it than the father 'handing over' the daughter, with all the connotations of this act.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Courtier

On another board it was discussed that there are "royal" and "princely" weddings
Maybe the wedding will be not as glittering as her fathers` because he was already king when he married and she is "only" crownprincess
Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

That discussion was quite funny... because a princely wedding IS a royal wedding.
Any downsizing compared to recent weddings of other heirs to the throne is highly unlikely.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Courtier

I must admit I still feel a little uncomfortable with the imagination of for instance King CG XVI appearing in full robe, all the ladies in tiaras and evening gowns and the groom is "just" a fitness trainer
I mean as far as I know even Jonas and Emma have a "higher" education by studying and visiting a university
I know it´s not fair but having a female (bride) with low education is still more "normal" than being the groom who has lower education than the bride
Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't share your views at all...
Again, 'fitness trainer' sounds like an employee, but Daniel Westling is a business man, owning five gyms.
If we will see any tiaras on the guests on wedding day remains to be seen, though I hope you'll be proven right regarding this dress code.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Nobility

It would be nice if all her godchildren (Prince Christian, Princess Amalia, Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Princess Eleonore, but probably many others) will be her bridemaids and pages. They're all grown enough to do this(except for little Princess Eleonore).
Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
It would be nice if all her godchildren (Prince Christian, Princess Amalia, Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Princess Eleonore, but probably many others) will be her bridemaids and pages. They're all grown enough to do this(except for little Princess Eleonore).
Yes, that would be sweet.
But my guess is, if they choose ones among her Royal godchildren, then Christian and Ingrid Alexandra, as they understand swedish best...and since Ingrid is older, I´d say, she has the highest chances.
But most likely commoner children would be chosen. Daniel´s nieces are the hottest guess probably. Victoria´s godson Leopold (son of her cousin Patrick Sommerlath) also has a good chance of getting the "job".
Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I know it´s not fair but having a female (bride) with low education is still more "normal" than being the groom who has lower education than the bride
More Girl Power to the people! Yeah! And its not about education, its about love... And they are building a team here, and If Victoria thinks she will be a bad queen without Daniel, then its bad for all of us not marry him...
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Courtier

I hope the wedding includes the lovely ship/boat that was used in Carl Gustaf and Silvia's wedding. Very romantic...

Could Daniel by any chance be wearing something like this..?
http://www.svenskdamtidning.se/55986...c2e5ae97.fodoc
http://www.svenskdamtidning.se/FileO.../danielvic.jpg

He'd look handsome in such a costume...
Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

The boat which was used to go back to Stockholm Palace after the carriage ride was the Royal Barge 'Vasaorden'.
It was last seen 'at work' during the state visit of the Japanese Imperial couple to Sweden in the year 2000. The wedding would be a great occasion to bring it out again, but - warning: The barge surly comes with practical restrictions for the wedding gown...
Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Gentry

ruthieviews

For the last time, could all the naysayers stop referring to Daniel Westling as the "personal trainer" or the "fitness instructor." It's like they are holding their noses and saying "gadzooks our esteemed Crown Princess is marrying "that gym person." Well, "that gym person" is a gentlemen who has brought more happiness to CP Victoria than all the doubters and snobs put together. He has treated her like a rare jewel and has always been there for her. He does protect her. He has never, ever discussed her with reporters or gossip magazines. For seven years, he has been silent as a stone on the subject of their relationship. No scandal, no embarrassing moments, and except for a tax problem that wasn't, he has not put a foot wrong.

And for those who think he is "uneducated," I call your attention to the fact that he has parlayed one fitness club into a large business with five locations and an investment in Brazil. He is probably smarter than many of the royals, some of whom suffer from learning disabilities. He is a successful business man who has developed successful business connections. He appears to be well liked by the rest of the royal children and their significant others. He is loyal to his old friends and appreciated by his new ones. He seems to be very welcome wherever he goes.

Instead of sniffing and snorting and trying to replace him with a stuffy available royal, get to know him and appreciate the quality of the man. He is already a prince. If you don't believe me, just ask CP Victoria.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Amen Ruthie!

---
And with the above message as food for thought I suggest we cease the discussion of Daniel's suitability and remarks about his background. This thread is about suggestions for Victoria's wedding, so let's stick to that.

Note that your insights about the engagement can be discussed here. His carreer as entrepeneur in health clubs can be discussed here; and the education of Daniel can be discussed here and we also have a thread where Daniel's suitablility can be discussed, which is here. Please note that the last thread is not inviting anybody to post belittling or catty remarks.

More replies that are unrelated to the topic of this thread will be moved or deleted at moderator discretion.

Thank you,

the Swedish Moderators
Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Serene Highness

Do you think there will be big pre- wedding festivities like for Frederik and Mary's wedding??? because it seems that in Sweden there 's already a lot of troubles with the cost of the wedding! maybe it's just a minority??? I don't know!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's not 'a lot of trouble already' regarding the weddoing costs. They are merely being discussed now, figuring out what is going to be paid by the King and what the state will pay for, which is not surprising.
If we take the Norwegian and the Danish weddings as examples, they both cost around 2 million Euro, so the budget has to be drawn up - business as usual.
In the Danish wedding, there were two gala events before the actual wedding; in Sweden, there will certainly be at least one pre-wedding gala, as it was at the King's wedding as well.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthieviews View Post
For the last time, could all the naysayers stop referring to Daniel Westling as the "personal trainer" or the "fitness instructor." It's like they are holding their noses and saying "gadzooks our esteemed Crown Princess is marrying "that gym person." Well, "that gym person" is a gentlemen who has brought more happiness to CP Victoria than all the doubters and snobs put together. He has treated her like a rare jewel and has always been there for her. He does protect her. He has never, ever discussed her with reporters or gossip magazines. For seven years, he has been silent as a stone on the subject of their relationship. No scandal, no embarrassing moments, and except for a tax problem that wasn't, he has not put a foot wrong.

And for those who think he is "uneducated," I call your attention to the fact that he has parlayed one fitness club into a large business with five locations and an investment in Brazil. He is probably smarter than many of the royals, some of whom suffer from learning disabilities. He is a successful business man who has developed successful business connections. He appears to be well liked by the rest of the royal children and their significant others. He is loyal to his old friends and appreciated by his new ones. He seems to be very welcome wherever he goes.

Instead of sniffing and snorting and trying to replace him with a stuffy available royal, get to know him and appreciate the quality of the man. He is already a prince. If you don't believe me, just ask CP Victoria.
Well said!!

My highest wish now is that they make the wedding an afternoon-wedding so that it will be in full gala There have been a lot "facts" in the newspaper about what the wedding will be like and they mostly seems to belive that the wedding will be an noon-wedding (like the king & Queens) wich meens no tiaras....