The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
The comparison with Victoria having future children and her mother having children is a little lame. Silvia is "only" the wife of the king but Victoria has to become Queen and her husband will be Prince consort. I´m sure Victoria after a possible marriage wants to have some time to bring her children up before getting the responsibility of a reigning Queen. Both Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Margrethe of Denmark appeard not to have been good mothers what was even confirmed by Queen Margrethe.
So I wouldn´t say Victoria has that much time left to marry and rise children. In the Netherlands in my opinion Queen Beatrix still has to reign some more years until the little ones of W.A. and Maxima are in a proper age to take over. Her mother abdicated at the age of 71 so this would be in two years....
But in Sweden there is no tradition of abdication and i believe King Carl XVI. Gustaf has said that he will not abdicate. And the Bernadottes became mostly very old, often over 90 in the last generations, so Victoria has probably a few years left before she becames Queen.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Nobility

Correct that Carl XVI Gustaf has said that he has no intentions to abdicate.
Both he and Victoria has said in tv-interviews that the day Victoria is the Queen of Sweden is the day the king pass away.
King Gustaf V passed away 92 years old and Gustaf VI Adolf was 90 years old when he passed away and the longest living person from the bernadotte family was 102 or 103 years old when she died.
So even if Victoria step up on the throne at the age of 60 there is a chance that she will be on the throne for approximately 30 year or more.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard
Both he and Victoria has said in tv-interviews that the day Victoria is the Queen of Sweden is the day the king pass away.
King Gustaf V passed away 92 years old and Gustaf VI Adolf was 90 years old when he passed away and the longest living person from the bernadotte family was 102 or 103 years old when she died.
So even if Victoria step up on the throne at the age of 60 there is a chance that she will be on the throne for approximately 30 year or more.
And if she will have children she will have them in the next 15 years. So probably has enough time to start a Family Live.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard
That is Elsa Bernadotte, Countess of Wisborg, born 03.08.1893, died 17.07.1996.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
And if she will have children she will have them in the next 15 years. So probably has enough time to start a Family Live.
A 66 year old woman in Florida had twins some month ago.
Aftonbladet: Carmela födde tvillingar vid 66

And given the fact that the Bernadottes live way beyond 90, there's really no reason at all for Victoria to feel any stress about this.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Ehm...and the king´s mother became only 64 years old...and his father 40...and what does that say? Nothing...one can´t predict ones age by relatives. And if one desperately wants to give it a try, one has to look at the parents (and their cause of death) and not at distant auntie Hildegard
Don´t get me wrong, I´m wishing Carl Gustaf a long and healthy life, but ppl ignoring all scientific laws by saying "All Bernadottes get old" and "Getting children at 40+ these days is a safe thing due to the medical progress" is-sorry-driving me bonkers...
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Aristocracy

Its not good to rush into marriage and be unhappy so I hope Victoria marries when she is ready whether a year from now or 10 years from now. It is her life and I am sure she understands her responsibility as future queen. It seems people underestimate her as if she does not know what she is doing with her life. Besides the girl is only 29 and she still has time to marry and have kids!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Nobility

His mother Princess Sibylla of sachsen-coburg and gotha died of stomach cancer and his father Prince Gustaf Adolf died in an air crash so i dont think this fact says something about the chanses for the king to live in 90 year or more!
If Prince Gustaf Adolf had been King Gustaf VII Adolf and lived a long life, it is possible that Carl XVI Gustaf had access to the throne in 1996 or in some of the years between it.
And about our Crownprincess, she is only 29 and have hole the future in front of her ! If she will marry and have any children she is Wise enough to decide when the best time for it is.
Do not forget she is mouch yonger than the Crownprinces and Crownprincesses around Europe.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes I know, what they did die from...but it is simply a fact that Prince Gustaf Adolf died age 40 and not in 1996...and one could easily state, that a person, who is flying more has a higher risk to die in a plane crash...or that a person, who is into racing has a higher risk to die in a car crash. Or one could state, that the development of stomach cancer is with a rate of about 30% genetically determined. But this is all just playing with figures. One can´t say, when the lord is calling one home...so I don´t get, why you can all come up with the "old Bernadottes" And that´s it, what I wanted to say with my former post.

And the other crown princesses are older, but have all fulfilled their "first duty" At this point it is e.g. already impossible for Victoria to get (age-wise) earlier a child than Mathilde or Mette Marit (I´m talking about Ingrid Alexandra...since Marius isn´t in line to the throne) Mathilde was 28, when Elisabeth was born and Mette Marit 30, when Ingrid Alexandra entered the world (so Victoria would need to be already pregnant to match her at least)
And to play again with figures...one can already be infertile at 20, but of course the risk is growing with age (chronical inflamations, inappropriate production of hormones, miscarriages through genetical errors)
A reason to hurry? I wouldn´t say so...there is no point in rushing into a marriage, that one really isn´t sure about. But there is also another thing my little unimportant life has taught me...ppl don´t seem to know, if a marriage is working before the marriage. Otherwise those, who got divorced wouldn´t have married There are so many things one can´t calculate...not how children change the marriage, not how the partnership would be in times of sorrow, not how aging is affecting the marriage and esp. for Royals not how working together is affecting it. But I´m truly sure, that one knows at least at a soon point, if this relationship is making it to the altar.
Well, it´s her decision anyway and maybe she is indeed knowing, what is best for her...and we can´t do anything about it anyway. But if we just talk about the aspect of PR, I would say it is really time to tie the knot. There is a reason, why the term "Stockholm marriage", describing ppl living together without a marriage certificate is related to the Swedish capital city. The Scandinavic countries simply are the countries with the highest numbers of unmarried ppl living in longtime relationships. So one could say, that Victoria is representing Sweden also here. But IMO at least a Monarchy should be bond to old traditions and moral (after all tradition is the main thing justifying it) There is something very charming around the tradition of unmarried Royals hiding their feelings, keeping their private life private, giving only very subtle hints (like e.g. the famous V&D necklace) But Victoria and Daniel aren´t hiding anymore...as we could see in the pics from Cortina...or in the pics of Victoria´s official duties with Daniel being present. Some might think "introduction light" or "introdcution in sloooow motion" is "cooler" or wiser, but it surely isn´t the more traditional romantic way.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't realize they were together 5 years already! I think if you're with someone that long and there's no talk or plans of marriage it might be time to re-think the relationship and look for someone else.
Why do people make it sound like it would doomsday for Victoria if this relationship doesn't work out? Daniel isn't the only fish in the sea. She could easily meet someone, date for a year and still be married by 32 or 33!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:01 AM
Commoner

I think everything with this relationship is very very hard to make a desisan. Everybody mighty be to know the best way how to do and they have not so much time for each other like other couples in there situation
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Royal Highness

I think CP Victoria has alot more things to considered when it comes to marriage and whom to marry than others do. If she wants to take her time with it, she should. But after five years, I think you should know whether it's going to happen or not. Maybe they're just trying to wear down the opposition......
Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Courtier

Perhaphs they have not discussed marriage in great detail?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
Perhaphs they have not discussed marriage in great detail?
Maybe, but I doubt it. After 5 years of dating, it must have come into a conversation at least once or twice.

Actually, I admire Victoria and Daniel for dating as long as they have. It's very easy to get swept away. Personally, I don't believe in love at first sight; to me it's lust at first sight. Only time will tell if you really love a person, knowing their faults and shortcomings, their annoying habits, AND you STILL love that person. That takes time.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
I was getting a little curious about other current Queens and their ages when they married and had children. Silvia was 32 and had Victoria at age 33. So there's likely not too much pressure on Victoria at the moment at least not from her parents.

Also Queen Sonja was 31 and didn't have Martha-Louise until she was 34. Queen Beatrix and Queen Margrethe were both later twenties(28 and 27 respectively) and quickly had kids. Queen Sophia was 23 and had Elena at 24. Both Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola were 21 and quickly had kids the following year.

Just some fun little info!!

Just a side-note about my family, my parents married at 22 [they turned 23 that year] and didn't have children until they were 32. So it's not that uncommon for people to marry and wait a while to have children. However, in Victoria's case, she'll be 30 this year. She probably shouldn't wait 10 years to have children.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Courtier

She culd adopt an heir, like the Roman emperors did, when they found out their children are not the best choice always .
Old 02-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
She culd adopt an heir, like the Roman emperors did, when they found out their children are not the best choice always .
No.

If Crown Princess Victoria remains childless, then we have
- Prince Carl Philip
- the children of Prince Carl Philip
- Princess Madeleine
- the children of Princess Madeleine
- etc.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
Bright idea of the day: She could adopt her brother. In order to please the infinitily small minority who thinks he's the ''rightful'' heir he will always be older than the children Victoria will have with her future husband.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Who said that Vicky can't have children or smth like that? That's one of these kinds of topics of waht would happen if...
She is not married yet and she doesn't have children yet so maybe we'll back to the topic...
Old 02-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Royal Highness

"She waits too long"

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Who said that Vicky can't have children or smth like that? That's one of these kinds of topics of waht would happen if...
She is not married yet and she doesn't have children yet so maybe we'll back to the topic...
It was just nonsense talk about Crown Princess Victoria waiting and waiting to marry. Then she will be 'too old for children'.

The girl is just 26. Just nonsense talk indeed.

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, relationships