Victoria & Daniel's 1st Baby - Guess the Sex, Name and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think Victoria will have ....a boy or girl?

• Boy - Christian needs some help with all these girls!

Votes: 103 40.1%
  • Girl - Girls rule!

Votes: 67 26.1%
  • One of each would be nice!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • As long as the baby is healthy it doesn't matter!

Votes: 76 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Potential godmothers:
Crown Princess Mary
Crown Princess Maxima
Crown Princess Mette-Maritt
Crown Princess Mathilde
Princess Madeleine

Potential godfathers:
Crown Prince Haakon
Crown Prince Frederick
Crown Prince Felipe
Prince Carl Phillip
Prince Pavlos

I dout both Fredrik and Haakon will be chosen together but sure,one of them will be.If t will be fredrik(likely),sure,Mette Marit will be the godmother and vice versa when Haakon will be chosen,Mary will be the godmother.
Carl philip or Madeleine will be among the godparents and for sure one of Daniel relatives.

After seeing Haakon & MM's anniversary service, I definately think that both of them will be asked. As for the rest, maybe Haakon's sister and either Frederick or Mary, but not both.

The first child of the crownprincess couple will presumably be the heir to the throne and as such the god parents will most likely be one or two of the crownprinces in line to a throne and Madeleine and Daniel's sister.

If comparing with the godparents of Victoria (and her siblings), I would guess one male and one female royal and one male and one female sibling.

Godparent guesses for Victoria and Daniel's baby:

Princess Mathilde
Prince Frederik
Prince Haakon
Sophie Wessex
Carl Philip
Daniel's sister
A friend of Daniel

i think the baby will definitely have a long list of godparents!

definitely, princess madeleine or prince carl philippe will be chosen.
plus: haakon, frederik, maybe willem alexander, maybe philippe of belgium (i am doubtful about their wives being chosen).
plus: a friend of victoria, a friend of daniel and daniel's sister.

I hope for a girl. A few ideas

Princess Margareta Christina Ulrika Victoria
Margareta- Swedish form of Margaret, first reigning queen of Sweden
Christina- second reigning queen of sweden
Ulrika- Ulrika eleanor third reigning queen of sweden
Victoria- mum of the baby and stands to be fourth reigning queen of sweden

Or variation Princess Christina Margareta Ulrika Victoria (prefer Christina as a first name but just out of order)

Or a more family oriented named

Princess Sibylla Lillian Anna Silvia
Sibylla- Victoria's grandmother
Lillian-her beloved aunt
Anna-Daniel's mother and sister
Silvia- Victoria's mother

My three favorite first names would be Christina, Lillian or Sibylla

And for a prince

Prince Gustaf Arthur Olaf Bertil
Gustaf-honor of her father and grandfather
Arthur-name from both sides of her family, Prince Arthur of Connaught (victoria's great-great paternal grandfather) and her maternal great grandfather
Olaf- for Daniel's father, and is also listed as Daniel's first name
Bertil- for the king's Uncle

...then VicDan's child would have only four godparents. But that is not any long-standing tradition. King Carl XVI Gustaf had ten!

That being said, if there were only four, it would most likely be the following:

1. CP Haakon (other Scandinavian heir)
2. CP Frederik (other Scandinavian heir)
3. Prince Carl Philip or Princess Madeleine (paternal uncle or aunt)
4. Anna Westling (maternal aunt)

This seems closest to the selections used for the godparents of CP Victoria and her siblings.

If they select more than four, the list could include any other combination of VicDan's siblings, cousins, close friends, other reigning monarchs or heirs/spouses (most likely Willem-Alexander), etc. I would hope that if there are any other royals in addition to the two already mentioned that it would include potential godmothers who have demonstrated that they are similar in temperament/mothering style to what I believe Victoria will be (Maxima, Mette-Marit) or who seems to be a calm, professional, good example (Mathilde); or for potential godfathers ones who seem professional and relatively scandal-free (Philippe, Felipe, Guillaume - even though they are all Catholics).

Sorry to correct you but CP and Maddy are the baby's maternal aunt and Uncle, as maternal means from the mother. And Anna is the baby's paternal aunt, meaning from the father. Not the other way around.

As for godparents, I think there will likely be 5, the tradition now a days with royal babies. And as the future heir to the throne, likely a lot of royal godparents. I think if a boy, 3 godfathers, and 2 godmothers, and other way if girl. There may be 6, perhaps a family friend, but I see that being left to a second child.

if a boy

Haakon
Fred
Wilhelm-Alexander
Anna
Madeline

Haakon and Fred are close to Vik, and Vik is godmother to WA's heir

if a girl

Haakon
Fred
Anna
Madeline
Maxima

How about Princess Madeline and Prince Carl Phillip as one set of godparents. The other could be Prince William and Kate. Or perhaps CP Haakon and Mette Maritt. Or perhaps one sibling of both CP Victoria and Prince Daniel.

I just curious about something. Could someone who was not royal or related to the royal family be a godparent (a good friend of either CP Victoria or Prince Daniel).

Why on earth would they ask William and Kate as godparents? They probably only met them at one or two occassions. William rarely visit any event on the continent, let alone a royal event there, so they should hardly know each other.

I would be very surprised if William or Kate would be choosen as godparents, I don't know if they have met Victora and Daniel more than at the British wedding. If any British royal would be choosen it would be one of the Wessex, as they have met eachothers quite often, Sophie would be an excellent choice for a second or third child.

As godparents for the firstborn and future heir, the couple will most likely ask personal royal friends and family, perhaps Frederik and Mette-Marit or Haakon and Mary, and then one paternal and one maternal sibling, most likely Carl-Philip and Anna Westling. I doubt that they will have both Carl-Philip and Madeleine at the same time, as I think they are hoping for more children and want to "save" a sibling for the next child.

I don't think that a non-royal friend will be choosen for the future heir, but very likely for a second and/or third child, especially as Daniel doesn't have more than one sibling.

Gustav Carl Arthur Albert Edward

From the male ancestors of HRH

1. HM King Gustav Adolf
2. HM King Carl-Gustav
3. HRH Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught
4. HRH Prince Albert of Sax Coburg, Prince Consort UK
5. HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (Father of Queen Victoria{UK})
The two first names are good, but I can't see why a future Swedish king would be named after British royals, as there are more than enough names of Swedish royal males to choose from. I would like to see the name Bertil, as a homage to the late prince Bertil, Oscar after two Swedish kings, maybe Eugen after prince Eugen among the more usual (and more likely) Carl and Gustav.

They have so many nice names to choose from for both girl & boy.

For a girl I like...

Lovisa Christina Victoria Silvia
Lovisa - after Queen Lovisa, née Princess Louise of Netherlands
Christina - after Queen Christina, maternal aunt and her paternal grandmother
Victoria - after her mother, future Queen and Queen Victoria, née Princess of Baden
Silvia - after her maternal grandmother

or...totally left side
Carolina Désirée Christina Silvia
Carolina - female form of Carl, honors her maternal grandfather and many others
Désirée - first Bernadotte Queen consort
Christina - after Queen Christina, maternal aunt and her paternal grandmother
Silvia - after her maternal grandmother

For a boy I like...

Oscar Bertil Oluf Gustaf
Oscar - after 2 kings
Bertil - after Prince Bertil
Oluf - after his father and paternal grandfather
Gustaf - after his maternal grandfather, great-grandfather etc.

or
Carl Johan Oluf Bertil
Carl Johan - after the first Bernadotte king, after Count Carl Johan Bernadotte, also honors maternal grandfather etc.
Oluf - after his father and paternal grandfather
Bertil - after Prince Bertil

List of the monarchs of Sweden ...from 900 something to today... (scroll down for list + pictures): Lista över Sveriges regenter - Wikipedia

and list of consort queens (+ Fredrik, lather king Fredrik I )... from 900 something ... (scroll down for list + pics): Lista över Sveriges regentgemåler - Wikipedia

and here you can find the princesses: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Svenska_prinsessor

and princes: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_över_svenska_prinsar

... many names to chose from =)

Last edited:
Okay...putting some more guesses in:

Girl
Kristina Lovisa Ingrid Anna

Boy
Carl Olof Walther Philip

try to honor both families:

Princess Sibylla Christina Victoria Silvia
Sibylla- CG's mother
Christina-for Daniel's mother (middle name) as well as Queen Christina
Victoria- baby's mother

Princess Kristina Lilian Ulrika Silvia
Kristina-royal name, but also for Daniel's mother (or Christina)
Lilian-Victoria's Aunt
Ulrika- for Queen Ulrika Eleanor, one of three reigning queens of Sweden

Princess Desire Christina Victoria Silvia
Desire-for the first Bernadotte consort, and Victoria's middle name
Christina-for baby's paternal grandmother
Victoria- for her mother
Silvia- for her maternal grandmother

or for a boy, hoping for a girl, and boys names are harder but

Prince Carl Olaf Johann Bertil
Carl-maternal Uncle and grandfather
Olaf- for father and paternal grandfather
Johan- Victoria's Uncle
Bertil-Victoria's Uncle

or

Prince Oscar Gustaf Beril Olaf
Oscar-second Bernadotte king, son of Desire, Napoleon was his godfather
Gustaf-honor of the baby's grandfather and great grandfather
Bertil-Victoria's Uncle
Olaf- Daniel and his father

I'd prefer Oscar, an end to the Carl-names going on.

I think I am going with Carl Olaf for a boy.

I like Olof. Carl Alexander is still my hope though.

I like Olof. Carl Alexander is still my hope though.

Where would they get Alexander from? That's a very Scotch-Irish name, and I haven't seen it used within the Swedish Royal Family at all.

If it is a boy, I hope that they won´t put Carl of Gustaf as his first name. It´s time for a new first name like Oscar or something like that.

i hope they kinda go outta the box a bit Gustaf, Olaf, Carl, Alexander are ok...
maybe one of the old school Byzantine emperor names maybe Leo, Justinian, Basil , Alexios, Isaac,Theodore ?

Leslie2006 said:
Where would they get Alexander from? That's a very Scotch-Irish name, and I haven't seen it used within the Swedish Royal Family at all.

Willem-Alexander, a potential godfather.

i hope they kinda go outta the box a bit Gustaf, Olaf, Carl, Alexander are ok...
maybe one of the old school Byzantine emperor names maybe Leo, Justinian, Basil , Alexios, Isaac,Theodore ?
I don't think there is any reason for future Swedish King, if it's a boy, to be named after any Byzantine emperor. Especially since there is a lot of names to go for except the obvious Carl or Gustaf...you still have Oscar, Eugen, Johan, Oluf, Vilhelm, Erik, August or even Lennart. And if the dig in further, even many more.

Oluf is one of the more unusual form of spelling of this name, according to this table: Olav - Wikipedia and not used in Sweden, so I doubt that form will be chosen, the Swedish variants are either Olof or Olov (this being the older variant).

Willem-Alexander, a potential godfather.

Ahhh, ok. Are the Swedes close to the Dutch Royal Family? I mean I know W-A and Maxima were at Victoria and Daniel's wedding, but are you sure it wasn't just protocol, considering the event was a state occasion? Then again, Victoria is godmother to Amalia so...perhaps.

I think Frederik and Haakon are more likely to be godfathers than W-A is, since Victoria is very close to both of them.

Ahhh, ok. Are the Swedes close to the Dutch Royal Family? I mean I know W-A and Maxima were at Victoria and Daniel's wedding, but are you sure it wasn't just protocol, considering the event was a state occasion? Then again, Victoria is godmother to Amalia so...perhaps.

I think Frederik and Haakon are more likely to be godfathers than W-A is, since Victoria is very close to both of them.

Queen Beatrix is also Victoria's godmother and apparently Victoria is close to both W-A and Maxima.

Oluf is one of the more unusual form of spelling of this name, according to this table: Olav - Wikipedia and not used in Sweden, so I doubt that form will be chosen, the Swedish variants are either Olof or Olov (this being the older variant).

You're right, I meant Olof all the time, since it's also Daniel's name.

I think giving the circumstances of her marriage to a commoner they should make the second in line to the throne have names from the father's family. It shows his strength in the family that he will take the trip to the United States by himself. Lets make the new heir show that strength by giving it a name from Daniel's family. King Olav Daniel 1 would be nice for a male heir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom