Victoria & Daniel's 1st Baby - Guess the Sex, Name and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think Victoria will have ....a boy or girl?

• Boy - Christian needs some help with all these girls!

Votes: 103 40.1%
  • Girl - Girls rule!

Votes: 67 26.1%
  • One of each would be nice!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • As long as the baby is healthy it doesn't matter!

Votes: 76 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right! I forgot about that. lol So okay new guesses...

Boy:
Carl Olof Gunnar Joseph

Girl:
Amèlie Renate Eva Ingrid

Last edited:
Potential godmothers:
Princess Madeleine
Crown Princesss Mary
Crown Princess Marie-Chantal
Crown Princess Maxima
Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Crown Princess Mathilde
Anna Westling Blom
a female family friend of both Victoria and Daniel

Potential godfathers:
Crown Prince Frederik
Crown Prince Haakon
Crown Prince Pavlos
The Prince of Orange
Crown Prince Philippe
Prince Carl Philip
a male family friend of the couple

For a little Princess:

Ulrika Desiree Anna Silvia
Astrid Lillian Silvia Lovisa
Sibylla Emma Silvia Karolina
Helena Ulrika Silvia Sibylla
Lillian Silvia Emma Madeline

For the little Prince:
Carl Magnus Edmond Daniel
Philip Michael Daniel Victor
Magnus Daniel Gustaf Bertil
Erik Edmond Daniel Gustaf

I know that little Sverre is called Magnus by his family but since it isn't his given name, I would love to see Magnus as a first name for the little prince. I think because I associate the name with CP Haakon, who I absolutely love!!

I am guessing a girl, based on her age, and how long it took.

For some reason I'm thinking boy but I have no guesses for the name.

She looks stunning so I'm thinking boy since "A girl steals your beauty"
Boy:
Erik Daniel Gustav Olle
Olaf Daniel Carl Gustav

Girl:
Karoline Silvia Eva Desiree
Eleanora Ulrika Silvia Victoria

For a boy I'd guess names,

Casper Kenny Evan James
Keith Michael Pip Fill

For a girl I'd guess,

Corona Frances Jasmine Sylvia
Marilyn Lucia Teresa Eleanor

Hope you like them. And bless you little one.

hmm i dont agree about your comment.
after all, Maxima named her eldest daughter Catharina-Amalia, a name that is diferent and unusual put together.
I don't agree that the name Catharina-Amelia is different and unusual when it comes to royal and noble names. The combination maybe, but both Catharina and Amelia are very common, Amelia seems to be especially popular in the German royal and noble houses and most of the Dutch royal consorts in history have been from Germany. I would say that the names Beatrix and Juliana are/were more suprising choices than C-A; or for that matter, Madeleine in Sweden (whose third name is in fact Amélie).

Girl: Christina Lillian Ewa Silvia
Boy: Carl Olle Oscar Bertil

Boy: Carl Olle Oscar Bertil
I really hope they won't use Olle, as it's a "pet" name (from Olof), it would be as if a child in the BRF would be baptised to Teddy or Bobby instead of Edward or Robert.

I would love a boy.

I was so disappointed when Spain and Holland had all girls!

I wonder if given the choice what Victoria would want??

Last edited:
I don't agree that the name Catharina-Amelia is different and unusual when it comes to royal and noble names. The combination maybe, but both Catharina and Amelia are very common, Amelia seems to be especially popular in the German royal and noble houses and most of the Dutch royal consorts in history have been from Germany. I would say that the names Beatrix and Juliana are/were more suprising choices than C-A; or for that matter, Madeleine in Sweden (whose third name is in fact Amélie).
While I agree with you that Catharina & Amelia are not so uncommon in royal & noble circles, I have to also agree with kathia_sophia in one thing, neither of those names was common in Dutch royal family before, so it came a bit surprising. The same goes also for Ingrid of Norway, although everyone knew where that one came from.

To come back to Victoria & Daniel and their bub. If they have a boy, I'd be really surprised if they choose something other then Carl, Gustaf, Oscar or maybe a bit outsider Erik for the first name. For a girl I think the field is pretty open, there are some obvious choices, Christina/Kristina, Désirée, Ulrika Eleonora, Magdalena, Margaretha, Sophia, Josefina etc., but yet there is still a big place for invention.

I wonder if given the choice what Victoria would want??
Healthy baby, I think. ;) IMO the sex of the baby matters more to the royal watchers then to Victoria and Daniel.

Last edited:
Meraude said:
I really hope they won't use Olle, as it's a "pet" name (from Olof), it would be as if a child in the BRF would be baptised to Teddy or Bobby instead of Edward or Robert.

Actually an example of that is the complaints after Edward and Sophie gave James the name of Theo instead of Theodore, etc. But they could always call him Olle like Prince Harry is called by a nickname instead of his baptismal name of Henry.

I think they will go with tradition, at least for the first born. I actually quite like the possible boys names except for Gustaf as a first name, and Adolf, they're hardly likely to choose that. I hope they don't pick Ulrika or Desiree as a first name for a girl. I like Josephine, Ingrid, Sophia and Eleonora but these names or their close derivatives have already been taken by other Royal Houses.

Magdalena is nice, anybody know the historic links with that one?

I quite like Olof, it would be a good way to honour Daniel's family while ensuring a traditionally Royal name for the baby.

Magdalena is nice, anybody know the historic links with that one?
Queen Sofia Magdalena of Sweden, born Princess of Denmark. She was the wife of King Gustaf III of Sweden in 18th century.

Magdalena is too similar to Madeleine.

In a way it is a bit silly that the name 'Adolf' is a big no-no and no-one is supposed to use it because of one dictator. With the same logic, also names for example Joseph (with its' numerous variants), Nikolai and August should be on the list of banned names.

Catharina said:
In a way it is a bit silly that the name 'Adolf' is a big no-no and no-one is supposed to use it because of one dictator. With the same logic, also names for example Joseph (with its' numerous variants), Nikolai and August should be on the list of banned names.

I understand your thinking but I think it comes down to the statistics of the name, if you know what I mean. While Josef Stalin was just as much a monster as Hitler in my opinion there have also been several Josephs (and variants) that have done good, etc. I can't think of that many other Adolfs or Adolphs let alone those who did some good in history. If you're using Nicholas II as the Nikolai in the example, I don't think his actions can be compared to Stalin or Hitler, neither in attitudes towards what happened under his reign and the numbers killed. Who is the August you mentioned?

Following the pattern of this generation....

...then VicDan's child would have only four godparents. But that is not any long-standing tradition. King Carl XVI Gustaf had ten!

That being said, if there were only four, it would most likely be the following:

1. CP Haakon (other Scandinavian heir)
2. CP Frederik (other Scandinavian heir)
3. Prince Carl Philip or Princess Madeleine (paternal uncle or aunt)
4. Anna Westling (maternal aunt)

This seems closest to the selections used for the godparents of CP Victoria and her siblings.

If they select more than four, the list could include any other combination of VicDan's siblings, cousins, close friends, other reigning monarchs or heirs/spouses (most likely Willem-Alexander), etc. I would hope that if there are any other royals in addition to the two already mentioned that it would include potential godmothers who have demonstrated that they are similar in temperament/mothering style to what I believe Victoria will be (Maxima, Mette-Marit) or who seems to be a calm, professional, good example (Mathilde); or for potential godfathers ones who seem professional and relatively scandal-free (Philippe, Felipe, Guillaume - even though they are all Catholics).

Last edited:

Olle is the name of Daniels father!

I understand your thinking but I think it comes down to the statistics of the name, if you know what I mean. While Josef Stalin was just as much a monster as Hitler in my opinion there have also been several Josephs (and variants) that have done good, etc. I can't think of that many other Adolfs or Adolphs let alone those who did some good in history. If you're using Nicholas II as the Nikolai in the example, I don't think his actions can be compared to Stalin or Hitler, neither in attitudes towards what happened under his reign and the numbers killed. Who is the August you mentioned?

Not wanting to go off-topic but I'm just answering this quickly before we return to the original subject. There are actually many dictators (some not so well-known) bearing the name Joseph (actually Stalin can be considered even more of a monster than Hitler if you look at all he did and the amount of people died because of his actions); Josip Broz 'Tito' is probably most well known in that department after Stalin. The Nikolai does not refer to the czar (I don't classify him as a dictator at all), I was talking about Romania's Nicolae Ceaușescu. August refers to Augusto Pinochet. Those names I took as examples since they have all been extensively used by royals for hundreds of years. There are loads of lists listing dictators so it all comes down to what you consider "bad enough".

As you can see from the list here, there are also many people with the name 'Adolf' that can be considered good people. Thus I do not understand the a bit childish need to ban the name. My great grandfather's second given name was actually Adolf and he could not have been in any way associated with the nazis.

Adolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now back to the original subject!http://conservapedia.com/Josip_Broz_Tito

Catharina said:
Not wanting to go off-topic but I'm just answering this quickly before we return to the original subject. There are actually many dictators (some not so well-known) bearing the name Joseph (actually Stalin can be considered even more of a monster than Hitler if you look at all he did and the amount of people died because of his actions); Josip Broz 'Tito' is probably most well known in that department after Stalin. The Nikolai does not refer to the czar (I don't classify him as a dictator at all), I was talking about Romania's Nicolae Ceaușescu. August refers to Augusto Pinochet. Those names I took as examples since they have all been extensively used by royals for hundreds of years. There are loads of lists listing dictators so it all comes down to what you consider "bad enough".

As you can see from the list here, there are also many people with the name 'Adolf' that can be considered good people. Thus I do not understand the a bit childish need to ban the name. My great grandfather's second given name was actually Adolf and he could not have been in any way associated with the nazis.

Adolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now back to the original subject!http://conservapedia.com/Josip_Broz_Tito

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just speaking about the perception of the names. As you mention Tito is much less known than Hitler or Stalin, and I completely agree with you about Stalin being worse, I tried saying that in my post.

Like you said, back to the topic!

Look, if Adolf were to be used I'm sure Victoria or Daniel would be honoring a family member (albeit a long passed one) the same way Joachim and Marie named Henrik after his grandfather. It would be the same reasoning but doubtless some would see it another way...

Bertil - Olof - Carl - Fredrik

Lilian - Renate - Margareta - Sofia

I think it will be a boy!!!! I just wish thsi baby is healthy and everything goes on smooth!

Magdalena is too similar to Madeleine.

Infanta Sofia has the same name than her grandmother Queen Sofia.

Queen Elizabeth has the same name than her mother "Queen Mum" Elizabeth.

So why should an aunt with a similar name matter?

Personally I really like Magdalena. It's been one of my girl favourite for years now and it would be really nice if Sweden would get a little Princess Magdalena. And to get a little hypotetical: What about twins? A little Princess Magdalena (to honour the aunt) and a little Princess Philippa (to honour the uncle)? Or even triplets with a little Princess Annemarie (to honour the aunt (Anna). And not forgetting the greataunt (Annemarie of Greece)) to the aformentioned two?

Ahhhhh, okaaaay ... I'm getting a little overboard here. But it's fun to speculate these things. :lol:

Boys- Sven, Anders, Folke, Bertil
Girl- Emma- I love that one Daria S.!:)

Last edited:
KitKat2006 said:
Infanta Sofia has the same name than her grandmother Queen Sofia.

Queen Elizabeth has the same name than her mother "Queen Mum" Elizabeth.

So why should an aunt with a similar name matter?

Personally I really like Magdalena. It's been one of my girl favourite for years now and it would be really nice if Sweden would get a little Princess Magdalena. And to get a little hypotetical: What about twins? A little Princess Magdalena (to honour the aunt) and a little Princess Philippa (to honour the uncle)? Or even triplets with a little Princess Annemarie (to honour the aunt (Anna). And not forgetting the greataunt (Annemarie of Greece)) to the aformentioned two?

Ahhhhh, okaaaay ... I'm getting a little overboard here. But it's fun to speculate these things. :lol:

Hmm.. I personally don't like names like Phillipa, Nigella, Frederika. They just seem to say 'oops we wanted a boy'.

I think I came up with a few suggestions, albeit they're girl's names at the moment, but no matter.

Emma (as stated in a post a little far back)
Alexandra
Charlotte (I think I need to step away from my Bronte collection for a bit)
Isabella (unless they don't want for their daughter to have a name-sake)

Still not sure about a boy's name, but suggestions like Gustaf and Olof have a nice ring.

With all these Emma-suggestions around here I'm getting more and more thoughtful. I don't think Emma would be a wise move (even though it is a nice name). The name could be misinterpreted even though Victoria and Daniel never intended to do so. Misinterpreted in the way that they still prefer Emma over Sofia when they just hypotetically gave their hypotetical daughter this name simply because they like it.

I know this sounds idiotic but we all know how the press (especially yellow press) works. And I'm sure Victoria and Daniel don't want to burden their firstborn with speculations like that. Or rather I wouldn't want that if I were in their shoes. So I really don't think Emma is in the picture. At least not as firstname. Maybe as middlename but also this seems unlikely for me. It simply wouldn't be a wise choice. And the same goes with Sofia for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom