Victoria & Daniel's 1st Baby - Guess the Sex, Name and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think Victoria will have ....a boy or girl?

• Boy - Christian needs some help with all these girls!

Votes: 103 40.1%
  • Girl - Girls rule!

Votes: 67 26.1%
  • One of each would be nice!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • As long as the baby is healthy it doesn't matter!

Votes: 76 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
16th May (if confirmed) would be an odd day since Mary & Fred are supposed to be on official visit to South Korea until the 15th - no matter if Mary becomes a godmother or not (many posters are betting on it because of the choice of name) I couldnt imagine a Swedish christening without the Denmark CPs attending.

I agree, even if Mary (or Frederik) isn't gonna be a godmother, it would be weird without their attendance.

16th May (if confirmed) would be an odd day since Mary & Fred are supposed to be on official visit to South Korea until the 15th - no matter if Mary becomes a godmother or not (many posters are betting on it because of the choice of name) I couldnt imagine a Swedish christening without the Denmark CPs attending.
But if CP Frederik and CPss Mary are in South Korea until the 15th, wouldn´t that mean that they will be back on the 16th? Perhaps flying in to Stockholm from South Korea

Bertil Ternert said today that the christening Will NOT be on 16:th May.

:previous:
Did he specify a day or merely rebuffed the rumours?

Did he specify a day or merely rebuffed the rumours?

Bertil Ternert said about the 16th May: I can say that it is wrong. It has been a preliminary date, but that day there will be no baptism. And I can not say when it will be because everything has not yet fallen into place. Once everything has been done so we go out with the date, it is not something we will keep secret because it is an official event, he says to Expressen reporter Tommy Schönstedt.
Inställt besök avslöjar: Då döps prinsessan | Nyheter | Expressen

Thank you, LadyFinn!
I imagine the Christening will be some time close to the date though, probably after Mary 20. Hopefully, there will be more information soon.
EDIT: And now we have the official Christening date - 22 May! Thanks to MagMil for ending the long wait. :)

Last edited:
I wonder when they will announce the godparents?

I think they will announce the godparents, one day before or in the day of christening.
My opinion :
- Princess Madeleine
- either CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit, or both of them
- CP Frederik
- Pr Willem-Alexander
- Pr Mathilde
- Daniel's sister

More guesses:

Anna Westling
Madeleine
Carl Philip
Haakon
Mary
Frederik

I guess we can exclude Mette-Marit from the list of possible Godmothers since it looks like she won't be attending the Christening at all.
According to the information posted by JessRulz in the Christening thread, Norway will be represented by Haakon, Martha Louise and Ari.

Pity, I was rather waiting forward to seeing all (or most of) the Crown Princely couples together.
I also thought it extremely likely Mette-Marit will be one of the Godmothers.

Haakon of Norway
Willem Alexander of The Netherlands
Mary of Denmark
Anna Westling
Carl Philip of Sweden or Madeleine of Sweden

My guess:
- Prince Carl Philip
- Anna Soderstrom (Daniel's sister)
- Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
- Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
- Crown Prince Willem-Alexander or Crown Princess Maxima
- A family friend

Prince Carl Philip, Frederik & Mary, Daniel's sister, Haakon, Willem-Alexander and/or Maxima, Pavlos

I guess Crown Princess Mette-Marit is out this time. I wonder how many godparents will be chosen. If Victoria follows the 'pattern' of her own godparents, it would be:
Crown Prince Haakon
The Prince of Orange
Prince Carl Philip or Princess Madeleine
Anna Westling

Additional or alternative godparents:
Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary, Prince Philippe, Princess Mathilde, Princess Maxima, Princess Martha Louise, possibly Prince Felipe

i dont think we can discount Mette-Marit as a godmother just because she isnt going.

other royals have been named godparents but could not make it to the baptism.

for example, Prince Felipe of Spain is one of the godparents for Vincent of Denmark and Felipe was not at the ceremony.

many people here seem to exclude Prince Felipe, but as i remenber well, he is a very good friend of Victoria and they were for years a pair (not romantically) for events such as royal weddings, because they were both singles and they walked together on carpets to ceremonies, they are a very good friends, they supported each other until they found partners.
even if he is not chosen for Estelle's, i think its highly possible for him to be godfather to other children Victoria might have^^

I would guess that her sister Princess Madelaine would be one of the godparents. Another person would be Prince Daniel's sister. Then perhaps a friend of the couples. How many godparents are there usually? In some royals households there's two and then others they are several individuals that are godparents.

It seems very odd that today a lot of people don't know who their god parents are. In my day most people knew who they were (usually they were relatives).

I would guess that her sister Princess Madelaine would be one of the godparents. Another person would be Prince Daniel's sister. Then perhaps a friend of the couples. How many godparents are there usually? In some royals households there's two and then others they are several individuals that are godparents.

Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine have four godparents each. King Carl Gustaf has nine godparents.

Unless Victoria and Daniel will make a surprise choice when it comes to godparents for the little princess as they did with the choice of name, my guess is crown prince Hakon of Norway, crown princess Mary of Denmark, prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Anna Westling.

Unless Victoria and Daniel will make a surprise choice when it comes to godparents for the little princess as they did with the choice of name, my guess is crown prince Hakon of Norway, crown princess Mary of Denmark, prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Anna Westling.
I would be very surprised if CP Mary is a godparent. It is a future regent that is being baptized and Mary is the spouse to a Crown Prince. If anyone from the Danish royal family is should be Fredrick.

I guess Mary is considered as a possible candidate because of one of Estelle's names.

I guess Mary is considered as a possible candidate because of one of Estelle's names.
Yes, that's why I think Mary could be Estelle's godmother, as her grandfather, mother and uncle have as one of their names the name of one of their godparents.
Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus - count Folke Bernadotte
Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée - princess Désirée
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil - prince Bertil

Also the fact that there are no female royal heirs except Victoria herself in her generation, had there been another female heir she would have been a natural choice. If both Hakon and Fredrik are chosen as godfathers I doubt Carl Philip will be one of Estelle's godparents, if Victoria is to follow the tradition her parents made with two males and two females as godparents for her daughter.

Victoria's godparenst are King Harald V of Norway, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess Désirée and Ralf Sommerlath.

Carl-Philip's godparents are Prince Bertil, Prince Leopold of Bavaria, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Princess Birgitta.

Madeleine's godparents are Prince Andreas of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Walther Sommerlath, Princess Benedikte of Denmark and Princess Christina.

many people here seem to exclude Prince Felipe, but as i remenber well, he is a very good friend of Victoria and they were for years a pair (not romantically) for events such as royal weddings, because they were both singles and they walked together on carpets to ceremonies, they are a very good friends, they supported each other until they found partners.
even if he is not chosen for Estelle's, i think its highly possible for him to be godfather to other children Victoria might have^^

But prince Felipe belongs to the Roman Chatolic Church? Right? And Church of Sweden is a Lutheran church. That means for sure he is out of question ...

Last edited:
But prince Felipe belongs to the Roman Chatolic Church? Right? And Church of Sweden is a Lutheran church. That means for sure he is out of question ...

But Prince Leopold of Bavaria is also a Roman Catholic. One of Godparents can belong to the different Church than the baby (especially if a baby has so many godparents):ohmy:

Yes, that's why I think Mary could be Estelle's godmother, as her grandfather, mother and uncle have as one of their names the name of one of their godparents.
Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus - count Folke Bernadotte
Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée - princess Désirée
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil - prince Bertil

That's assuming Mary is really in honour of Crown Princess Mary, and not the somewhat more obvious choice - Virgin Mary.
This said, I do think either Frederik or Mary are a very likely choice for little Estelle.

you're total wrong. besides, prince felipe is godfather to princess ingrid of norway, prince vincent of denmark and prince constantine alexios of greece whose church is not catholic. princess victoria herself is godmother to princess eleonore who is from catholic church.

Last edited:
That's assuming Mary is really in honour of Crown Princess Mary, and not the somewhat more obvious choice - Virgin Mary.
This said, I do think either Frederik or Mary are a very likely choice for little Estelle.

True but, as mentioned before by others, in Sweden the Virgin Mary is usually Maria or less often Marie. Hence the suggestions that it refers to CP Mary. Though it could, also as others in this thread stated, be compensation (so to speak) for Mary not being named a godmother...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom