Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling: Relationship Discussion (2002-2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
soCal girl said:
Well, that depends. Nobody knows with this couple. It must be tough for Victoria though to know that people are expecting her to get married soon since she is basically the last heir left unmarried. Also stressful for Daniel since he will most likely (actually, who knows? Victoria might!) be the one to pop the question.
Victoria should be like Daniel marry me or get out of my face because Sweden wants to see a little Victoria around... Just saying.

I think they must do something soon. Their relationship has been so "open" for many years now. I hope that they will announce their engagement this fall and that we will get a royal wedding in 2007!
I dont want to play age-police here, but they are both in their 30´s now so what are they waiting for?!

Last edited:
Yennie said:
I think they must do something soon. Their relationship has been so "open" for many years now. I hope that they will announce their engagement this fall and that we will get a royal wedding in 2007!
I dont want to play age-police here, but they are both in their 30´s now so what are they waiting for?!
Yes, and I think it's quite rediculous how they have now begun to hide their feelings and affection for each other in Sweden, they don't want to be seen together at - but when they're abroad it's no problem. Of course it has to do with the media, but they've been a couple for almost 4 years now, and we've seen them close together in previous pictures - so really, it's rediculous! :wacko:

Also, I read an article in Aftonbladet last week where it said that it's not only the female's age that is a risk factor in a pregnancy - a new American studie showed that also the male's age was a key factor... And I suppose Victoria wants a few children, so her biological clock is also ticking... :)

If it wasn't for Victoria's internship next summer, connected to her diplomat programme, I would also guess for a wedding next summer. But now I don't know. Of course August could be one option... It depends on how long this internship will be.

September 2006 - May 2007 her internship run for.

Yennie said:

I'm not a big fan of Daniel but if he makes CP Victoria happy I'm all for it. Biological clocks aside though, I think they're really taking their time making the commitment because (just my opinion and I could be wrong...) Daniel won't have the freedom he has now once they tie the knot. He'll be standing behind her a lot and would probably end up giving up all (or most of) his free time to be the proper consort to his wife. Somehow, I don't see him as the type of guy to take backseat to anyone. I think he would want to be out and up front with Victoria, which wouldn't be possible once they got married. He'll got swallowed up with all that protocol and be made to toe the line - much like Prince Philip had to do with Queen Elizabeth. Again, this is only my opinion - anyone out there think this may not be the case? I welcome a discussion :) Have a great day all :)

Gita said:
September 2006 - May 2007 her internship run for.
No, that's the Diplomat Programme at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. The internship is another thing (the Diplomat Programme isn't an internship, it's an educational programme) that the media has reported will take place in the summer of 2007 (hence why I don't have much faith in a wedding until 2008, if she'll be busy working all the time). After her education in the Diplomat Programme, they have said that she will do an internship somewhere, to use what she's learned during the year.

:shock: Argh, i thought the internship and the diplomat program was the same thing. IMO nothing good will come out of this delaying and delaying and delaying. Two years ago Daniel had mostly good press, he was seen as a normal boy who worked hard and accomplished quite alot. But now they write about his makeover, his luxury suits, his cars, how beeing the boyfriend of the Crown Princess helped his gyms and how they now dont do to well afterall and so on and so on.

It would be IMO different if we saw picture of a radiantly happy Victoria next to Daniel every now and then, like we saw with Haakon WA and Frederik, but no such luck with Victoria, mostly she looks annoyed when they are photographed together.

Maybe she has nerves for the engagment press conference, its a hard act to follow her mother and father and their super chamring engagment interview, it is my all time favourite royal interview
:wub: http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?d=51164&a=577205 :wub:

Professional women manage to fit weddings and marriage into their schedules just like men have always done. She is a regent in training just like her counterparts around Europe. If they all have managed to get married Victoria will too. She is only 29 and still have time to start a family. We may very well see a wedding next spring / early summer.

Larzen said:
:shock: Argh, i thought the internship and the diplomat program was the same thing. IMO nothing good will come out of this delaying and delaying and delaying.
Yeah, tell me about it! :rolleyes: Her internship next summer hasn't been officially announced yet, I've only read it twice in the media - so there's still time to change her mind on this... :rolleyes: Waiting until 2008 would be a bit too much I would say - she would then be 31 years old, Daniel would be 35 :ohmy: (beginning to sound like the endless bachelor...) - and they will have been a couple for 6 years! :ohmy:

Larzen said:
Two years ago Daniel had mostly good press, he was seen as a normal boy who worked hard and accomplished quite alot. But now they write about his makeover, his luxury suits, his cars, how beeing the boyfriend of the Crown Princess helped his gyms and how they now dont do to well afterall and so on and so on.

It would be IMO different if we saw picture of a radiantly happy Victoria next to Daniel every now and then, like we saw with Haakon WA and Frederik, but no such luck with Victoria, mostly she looks annoyed when they are photographed together.

Maybe she has nerves for the engagment press conference, its a hard act to follow her mother and father and their super chamring engagment interview, it is my all time favourite royal interview
:wub: http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?d=51164&a=577205 :wub:
I couldn't agree more. This whole makeover to this posh Stureplan brat has only made it harder for him to be accepted by the people. At least the people I know say that he's no longer himself, but a made-up person who looks like a dress-up doll and is uncomfortable with it.

Of course he needed a little better style, going from the old trucker caps and baggy clothes, but turning him into this stiff business chap looking like he's just arrived from the 80's was not a good idea... They could've taught him how to dress nice, and be casually elegant - not making him look like Clark Kent (as Daniel Nyhlén said).

And this about Victoria and Daniel not wanting to show their love in public is just rediculous. After 4 years, everyone knows about them. If we would see pictures of them being loving towards each other, that would only help their position and the public's feeling, I would say.

Can you seriously imagine them waiting until 2008 for a wedding? I can't.

Gita said:
Can you seriously imagine them waiting until 2008 for a wedding? I can't.
I don't want to think so - but if she's going to go through with first the Diplomat Programme from September 2006 to May 2007 and then an internship programme (probably at an official authority of some sort) during the summer, I can't really see how there's going to be a chance for her to find the time to prepare for a wedding... When an engagement comes, there's going to be a big halabaloo in the media and she's not gonna get much peace and quiet...

But who knows what will happen?! We're just gonna have to wait and see. There's still a chance for a 2007 wedding, I'm just saying that the time schedule for her will be hard.

I guess now that her two best friends are going to be married (Caroline Dinkelspiel already is, and soon Caroline Kreuger will be as well) and have their own families, she must be feeling some kind of pressure... I guess she wants her children to be around the same age as her friends' children so that they can play together, and the parents can exchange experiences, but for that to happen - it means that Victoria can't wait for too long.

Last edited:
I think they will find the time to wed in 2007, a wedding in 2008 sounds to far away in my ears (let´s hope that Victoria & Daniel hears what i hear...). Anyway she will not have to do so much planning, just say what she wants and the court will arrange it for her.

I think Daniel may be the one getting cold feet. Dating a Crown Princess is one thing but marrying one has got to be terrifying. He knows that he will be watched like a hawk for the rest of his life and he seems like a pretty private person. Also, Daniel will become Prince Consort and that has to be a lot of pressure. He will have to give up his career which he probably worked hard to achieve. I know it'll be hard but I think they should make a decision within the next couple months whether they'll get married or go their separate ways. It's like the couple's in limbo. Just my opinion.

soCal girl said:
Just my opinion.

Which I share, to be honest. I always hoped for Victoria that Daniel could cope with the pressure (imagine marrying a future Queen...argh! :neutral:) and honestly I still hope he can. I have a feeling that some serious decision making is going on at this very moment... :rolleyes:

We are not even sure if they are getting married, guys, mustless in '07!:ohmy: They are not even engaged yet! I seriously doubt they will, I am just not seeing a radiant Victoria. It might just be me though...

:lol:
Larzen said:
:shock: Argh, i thought the internship and the diplomat program was the same thing. IMO nothing good will come out of this delaying and delaying and delaying. Two years ago Daniel had mostly good press, he was seen as a normal boy who worked hard and accomplished quite alot. But now they write about his makeover, his luxury suits, his cars, how beeing the boyfriend of the Crown Princess helped his gyms and how they now dont do to well afterall and so on and so on.

You can be married and take an internship at the same time. I dont se those two going against each other. D and V has a lot of freedom marryed or not as long as CG is the king:) I am sure it is going to be Prince D, also good for the Hiphoppers in S:rolleyes:

Maybe Daniel just needs a lil kick into his ass or he is totally afraid of his father in law :eek: and does not dare to ask him :rolleyes:

This is purely my opinion but I also think Victoria and Daniel not making some kind of step, in either direction, may be stopping Carl Philip/Emma and Madeleine/Jonas from becoming engaged. It is customary for the heir or the oldest (Victoria is both in this royal family) to get married first. While King Carl Gustaf has mentioned he doesn't want his kids married before 25, we have seen the other two couples showing affection to each other that Victoria and Daniel have not exhibited at all. I'm not so sure about Carl Philip and Emma but I think Madeleine and Jonas have a real possibilty of getting married. I don't know if they will be able to before Victoria.

GrandDuchess said:
I don't want to think so - but if she's going to go through with first the Diplomat Programme from September 2006 to May 2007 and then an internship programme (probably at an official authority of some sort) during the summer, I can't really see how there's going to be a chance for her to find the time to prepare for a wedding... When an engagement comes, there's going to be a big halabaloo in the media and she's not gonna get much peace and quiet...

In which connection have you read that with the intership? Is it something the court has announced or have newspapers written, that it´s customary to do it after the diplomat programme. Well, IMO in both cases she could still skip it. The court is not always trustworthy and Victoria got the criss-cross way into the programme, so I guess no one would see a problem, if she would do the intership later.
Nonetheless I though have my very doubts about a wedding in 2007. I agree with SoCal girl, that Daniel is probably not too keen to do this big step. But honestly I also wonder, if Victoria is very keen. I could imagine, if Victoria would be one of these gals, who luuuuuuv weddings and collect wedding magazines (it could be of course, that she does, but I can´t imagine) and if she would give him a little bit more security and confidence in public (of course all my personal opinion...others might say, that she follows protocol eagerly), that Daniel already would have done the big step and would have asked her. With a Victoria on his side, who can live very well with concubinage (love this word :lol: ), he can have the girl, the career and doesn´t need to bite into the sour apple, called Royal life in the shadow.
Since both went over the limit, the other crown princely couples have set in dating times thing, I am now thinking, that all is possible...wedding in 2007...or 2008...or 2009...or :wacko:

Good news, that Caroline Kreuger and this Jesper get married. I think they dated even longer than Victoria and Daniel...so there seems to be hope. :lol: GrandDuchess, do you also know a date? Are they officially engaged? I think there´s a good chance of Victoria being bridesmaid (again)...and godmother.

Last edited:
fromEU said:
You can be married and take an internship at the same time.
Of course you can, there's nothing hindering it in theory.

But to me, Crown Princess Victoria is the kind of person who dedicates herself entirely to the task she is currently undertaking - and if she is to take on an internship next summer, at least if I were in that situation - I would want to devote myself entirely to either that or then a wedding. Not both at the same time. And a royal wedding would not take just one afternoon, there would be a lot of festivities and things surrounding it, with constant focus on her and Daniel, which would take her focus away or at least split it.

Lena said:
In which connection have you read that with the intership? Is it something the court has announced or have newspapers written, that it´s customary to do it after the diplomat programme.
Svensk Damtidning has mentioned it twice now I think, and they said it's something that people who have gone through the Diplomat Programme do afterwards. I think Expressen, or if it was one of the other daily newsapapers, also mentioned it briefly once. But no official declaration yet, so there's still time to change their minds...

Lena said:
Good news, that Caroline Kreuger and this Jesper get married. I think they dated even longer than Victoria and Daniel... :lol: so there seems to be hope. GrandDuchess, do you also know a date? Are they officially engaged? I think there´s a good chance of Victoria being bridesmaid (again)...and godmother.
They got engaged in London this past July (there was an official announcement in Svenska Dagbladet), but there's not much more news than that known. Certainly not a wedding date. We're gonna have to wait and see... Let's hope Victoria will be asked to be her bridesmaid!

Either way, there's no chance that a Kreuger wedding will pass the media by unseen or heard of - then they would really have to be anaesthetized! I suppose it's expected that even the King and Queen will attend, considering how close the families are and have been.

Last edited:
So perhaps this is our next Queen consort then :)

Daniel in school (photo by Andreas Bardell/ Aftonbladet)

Maybe they don't show affection because they want their private lives and feelings kept private. I think when and if they are ready to marry they will.

they don't show affection to eachother because it would just draw more atention to them.

Thanks for the wonderful photos of Victoria.
Although her I see it serious.

Larzen said:

Wow thanks so much for that link! It is one thing to see people on photos, it's entirely another to see them moving, talking, expressing their points of view, smiling, etc. Perhaps that is one thing thatwould help endear Daniel to the Swedish nay-sayers: an interview like the one of the link you provided.

It seems to me that the interviewers at the time were extremely trying to not give Silvia a hard time, although they did ask her in that engagement interview whether she "had to think twice deciding to marry a king", to which she replied she didn't decide to marry a king, but rather she decided to marry the person she loved. It sounded a bit rehearsed, but I think if Daniel could do an interview like this, if they ever got engaged or even if they didn't, we all might get a completely different view of the guy.

Some little details that surprised me though of that interview, something that had never occurred to me looking at photographs:

1) how much Carl Gustav looked like a twin brother of none other than Felipe of Spain. They of course ARE related, both are decendants of queen Victoria after all.
But it really struck me, the likeness of those two. Had never occurred to me at all.
2) Silvia's simplistic answers in Swedish: explainable of course, as she hardly mastered that language then. The interview is very very akin to Alexander's and Maxima's. He the heir/king, she the exotic foreign lady of his choice, charming everyone with their attempts at the local language. Have to say Maxima came across more as someone who knows exactly why she's doing what she's doing, jettisoning her parents coming to her wedding for her opportunity to one day become queen. Silvia however, contrary to what I had expected, came across as someone very very much in love, and not much more, not someone who had really calculated this out.

As for Victoria and Daniel, it is in a way too bad they can't hold an interview now, because it might really change a lot of people's minds about him. Of course, one could argue, who cares what other people think of Daniel, but as he's attaching himself to an icon, a swedish heir to the throne who is seen by the Swedes as really a member of their own families, they love her that much, it would behoove Victoria to turn on the PR effort for the sheer sake of her Daniel getting more of a positive buzz amidst the Swedish population, non?

I know Daniel looks awkward in front of the press right now, but I think once his position in Victoria's life becomes "permanent" a.k.a future husband, officially, he'll soften around the edges. I remember with Princess Mary of Denmark, she looked really rigid and tense at first, but she's since bloomed after her marriage. All he needs is a little experience and a whole lot of patience. I believe he'll fit the role of Prince Consort when/if the time comes.

If Victoria and Daniel don't wed, how old would she be before she finally finds the man she wants to marry? As these royal courtships seem to take several years, she could be in her mid-30's before taking the plunge which would be rather late to start a family, though not impossible. Therefore, I hope Daniel and Victoria marry. Though I have to agree with other people, that you have to wonder if he doesn't have cold feet. It's a tough decision to make, and I think even tougher, probably, for a man to give up his chosen life and live as a consort IMHO.

Larzen said:
How do you think of all theese things:lol: yes 33 is an excellent age to get engaged, if possible before nobel:flowers:

I think it's an excellent age for an engagment. (I've got 10 more years!) no seriously, even if she does get engaged at 33 she will still be younger when she marries than most of the current crownprinces of Europe.

She still has plenty of time for children. Princess Laurentien of Holland had her latest child at age 40. and I know many women who have children beyond that age.

Victoria needs a very special man to fill the unique role of Consort to the Queen of Sweden and she will take her time to find him.

pollyemma said:
I think it's an excellent age for an engagment. (I've got 10 more years!) no seriously, even if she does get engaged at 33 she will still be younger when she marries than most of the current crownprinces of Europe.

She still has plenty of time for children. Princess Laurentien of Holland had her latest child at age 40. and I know many women who have children beyond that age.

Victoria needs a very special man to fill the unique role of Consort to the Queen of Sweden and she will take her time to find him.

Well, if you have problems with your fertilty, 35 is maybe not the best age to start with making babies. Nature is then much less generous with (healthy) babies. That is something, which is often not discussed in connection with all these old mothers.

Well, I admit, that I also say this so often in connection with such discussions, because women giving birth to their first child in late years are pure horror for me. I know, that I shouldn´t generalise (there are surely exceptions!) and I don´t talk about women getting at a later point in life a "pet for the family" (as it was e.g. with princess Caroline of Monaco and her Alexandra). What I´m talking about are these women, who have focused all the time on their career and later they focus with the same energy on their children. Not, that younger mothers wouldn´t focus on their children either. But all these permanent discussions on poo-poo, paedogagic wooden toys, the right carrot juice (and if to drink it at all), these comparisons of the own child to other children, running all the time to teachers, overprotecting children etc...I see it much more at older mothers :wacko: And then Victoria, already a protective big sister, waiting longer and seeing all bad things, that can happen to children...sounds like an explosive mixture :rolleyes: :lol:

If here mothers, who gave (or will give) later in life birth to the first child, or if children of such mothers read here, pls don´t be upset...I just talk about my observations...and maybe it´s just a cultural thing (in my country, surroundings etc.) :flowers:

The next theory is something, which I´d partly wish, wouldn´t be true...but I think, that not all ppl, who married found the big love in life (figures on divorces would speak for me ;)) If you want to have children, and if you are for marriage, you will probably marry at a certain point in life...high likely you will be in love, but at his point, you can´t know, if it is forever. And if it works IMO depends on the ability of both sides to grow together and to give enough freedom. So my conclusions are a) that you have never a guarantee and b) that many ppl never experience the big love (on both sides). But all female ppl experience, that their fertility disappears with the years. So if you have bad luck, the in the end better choice jumps off (because he doesn´t want to wait anymore...or youself dump him for waiting for mr. right) and later in a moment of biological panic, you marry the next best guy crossing your way :wacko:
Well, of course it´s also wise in Victoria´s position to check the guys through and through (what she obviously does)...but as I said 1001 times before, usually the guy self doesn´t change and at a certain point, one should know, if one can imagine a life with him as hubby or not. Of course hopeless romantic ppl go on to wait for Mr. Perfect (and end then with the next best guy...well, I´m repeating myself :lol: )
And I can also only repeat myself in my statement, that waiting that long with a wedding to Daniel (for the case it is planned! In the past months I got more and more doubts) is a PR disaster and doesn´t do him a favour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom