Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling: Relationship Discussion (2002-2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that is not fair to say this, as we really dont know him (Daniel), but I really would like to see Victoria happy not just now but also in the future, so for me Daniel is not the one, he doesnt seem ready to handle all the pressure and responsabilities of her future.

Ariel said:
I know that is not fair to say this, as we really dont know him (Daniel), but I really would like to see Victoria happy not just now but also in the future, so for me Daniel is not the one, he doesnt seem ready to handle all the pressure and responsabilities of her future.

That´s what I´ve thought too, and my 1000+ posts on it prove it;) But somehow I think he´s the best choice. Victoria is a homemade cookie. Even though she gets along superb with ppl coming from other countries, I don´t see her doing a "Frederik" and marrying a foreigner, who doesn´t speak Swedish and doesn´t know about the Swedish (upper class) culture. To this group I also count various foreign nobles. The less I can imagine her to marry a Swedish nobel or Swedish upperclass brat. In fact I can no one imagine to marry such a slimy creature (even though there are surely exceptions, who hide in their castles in the woods ;) )
Then I can´t imagine her to marry an intellectual with certain degrees and working for an public organisation. This only would mean conflicts and they probably wouldn´t share many interests.
So what is impossible...thinking...thinking...ah Daniel Westling ;) I think he has improved a lot and has more potential to improve. In the DI-interviews he came across as smart person, the same goes for this article in Aftonbladet (where a columnist went to a business breakfast of his new gym), his shyness is disappering (he doesn´t run away anymore and he changes a few words with journalists). Generally he strikes me as person, who wants more and who likes challenges.
Gosh, I´m taking up the cudgels for Mr. Westling. Miracles happen :rolleyes:

Ariel said:
Well ithink beeing happy is a two way street. If Victoria is looking for someone who can enter her world, and can make her happy on her terms she has lost already, it should be about making each other happy and both adopting to each other.

Prime example beeing Joachim, he brought this educated, smart urban business woman to Denmark and placed her in his life on a farm at the coutryside and her work changed from beeing an independent business women in Hong Kong to have a day that was mostly charitable events and other housewife duties and living at a farm. Now that was not the life Alex had chose for herself, that was the one she got as a weddingpresent and in the end it did not work out.

If Victoria wants someone to just enter he life and have it be as it always has been she would better find a royal or atleast rich nobel to marry, if she goes for Daniel or any other "normal" Swede if its going to work its not only about him adopting to her life but also she needs to make some changes.

Larzen said:
Well ithink beeing happy is a two way street. If Victoria is looking for someone who can enter her world, and can make her happy on her terms she has lost already, it should be about making each other happy and both adopting to each other.

Prime example beeing Joachim, he brought this educated, smart urban business woman to Denmark and placed her in his life on a farm at the coutryside and her work changed from beeing an independent business women in Hong Kong to have a day that was mostly charitable events and other housewife duties and living at a farm. Now that was not the life Alex had chose for herself, that was the one she got as a weddingpresent and in the end it did not work out.

If Victoria wants someone to just enter he life and have it be as it always has been she would better find a royal or atleast rich nobel to marry, if she goes for Daniel or any other "normal" Swede if its going to work its not only about him adopting to her life but also she needs to make some changes.

Well said, Larzen
I think that is so often forgotten on this board. It´s not just about making the crown prince(ss) happy. He or she also has to give something back. Yes, the future princes(ses) get money and fame (often more than what is good for them), but so often I´ve a feeling, the born Royals don´t respond to the needs of the newbie Royals. Dunno how to classify Victoria. It´s probably too soon. So far she does her trips alone, and makes then several weeks holidays. Where she often goes on trips with Daniel. This way of living doesn´t represent the life of marriage. It just represent a way to stay longer in the pink heaven of love.

Lena said:
I think this will also be a problem in reality. I don´t think Victoria & Daniel will ever particiapte in Parlamentet ;) but I wonder, what would happen, when Daniel would be funnier than Victoria (the few things we have "heard" of him hint that) and will appeal to the people. Victoria is known for her "one girl show", she is best when she performs duties alone (without her family), I wonder, if she´s ready to share the attention. Maybe that´s the reason, why it all takes so long :confused:
It didn't happen to Henrik & Margrethe. Even though Henrik was charming, jovial and handsome, and Margrethe was considered shy and insecure, it has taken many, many years for him to get accepted by the people. He's the Queen's husband, that's all.

btw; Madeleine's boyfriend, Jonas, is also as usual portrayed in a rather mean way, like Silvia. They make him look like the perfect upper-class, condescending besserwisser who can run a company easy as a piece of cake.

And Carl Philip's girlfriend, Emma, is probably portrayed in the most evil way, she isn't in the programme AT ALL. She must really feel like a totally insignificant fly on the wall :D

Larzen; :D at Gucci barbie !!! So true.

Lena > pink heaven of love, you couldn't have said it more clearly :D

I think with a personal gym instructor and some lessons early each morning and late every evening one will stay happy forever :p

Daneborn said:
It didn't happen to Henrik & Margrethe. Even though Henrik was charming, jovial and handsome, and Margrethe was considered shy and insecure, it has taken many, many years for him to get accepted by the people. He's the Queen's husband, that's all.
Yes, that´s of course true.
BUT Margrethe is very unique and gifted. I hope Victoria will develop well (or simply will go back to the spontaneous funny girl, she was at 18), but I don´t see her as a second Daisy.
And probably even more important is, that Daniel is a Swede. One who knows the rural and the urban life. He´s one of "them" and I sense this also in posts I´ve read in Swedish forums. When Daniel stays natural, he can only win.
Henrik was a frenchman and if you ask me, you can hardly find more "opposed" cultures than the French and Danish/Scandinavian in Europe. Besides Henrik is very headstrong and not some kind of "everybody´s darling"-guy. He isn´t the dream of a son in law, while many Swedish mums probably wouldn´t mind to get a guy like Daniel as son in law.
Maybe it all will be really as with Margrethe and Henrik. Victoria surely has the "born Royal"-bonus (ppl have seen her growing up and see her as a part of their life), but with the growing media landscape (who searches for faults and doesn´t treat Royals per se as if they would be "better" than others) I see good chances for Daniel.

I think with a personal gym instructor and some lessons early each morning and late every evening one will stay happy forever :p
:D hahahaha
Also gym trainers get older. If a buff sporty body is a criteria for Victoria, she should maybe take a look at Pappa Westling. Pretty much the same build like his son (the same skinny legs, posture...), but a well developed potbelly ;)

At this point, I'm rooting for Carl Philip and Emma to get married first. I want Victoria to marry a true love and all that....but after all these years of dating and she doesn't know if she truly loves him or if he truly loves her, then that was a waste of a couple years! Maybe if Carl Philip gets married first, Daniel and Victoria will get the idea and marry also! If that doesn't happen, I'm looking toward a 2006 engagment and a 2007 Crownprincessly wedding! (I'm just getting restless, most of the other European royal houses have had glorious weddings but not in Sweden! I think if Victoria does get engaged soon, the Swedish threads are going to be in a frenzy!) :D

Last edited:
Just because someone's been going out for 5 years, and they don't end up getting married, doesn't necessarily mean it was a waste of time. People can learn a lot from each other over that length of time. They can learn things about themselves (i.e. what annoying habits they can tolerate in another human being, etc) as well. I'm really, really hoping that Victoria and Daniel get married, and I would like it to be soon. I'm beginning to really like Daniel.

Larzen said:

Larzen, there have been many many pages on this very Forum dedicated to the question of why Joachim and Alexandra's marriage didn't work out, and I think you are really hitting the nail on the head here, as off topic as this is!

Larzen said:
Interesting view point. But who is to say she is not making any sacrifices for Daniel already?
Speaking of Daniel, I for one have always liked him. I think he seems quite suitable, but I guess I'd be in the minority on that one. Weird though: if I were Victoria I would indeed take someone like Daniel any day over one of those upper class trustfund brats, yek! (ok of course there are exceptions!)

If Victoria and Daniel break up (we're back to square one!), I'm sure they learned things from each other and it wasn't a complete waste of time. However, I sincerely wish that they make some decision, whether it be break-up or marriage (I prefer marraige!) before we end up with a Thread 20 for them. I'm sure Carl Philip and Madeleine can get married anytime they want to, but traditionally it's the firstborn/crownprince/princess, who usually get married first. I would hate for any of the younger siblings to have to wait for their turn at the altar just because older sister Victoria didn't get married. (Not saying this will happen, at this rate I'm honestly thinking Madeleine might be the first one at the altar)

soCal girl said:
If Victoria and Daniel break up (we're back to square one!), I'm sure they learned things from each other and it wasn't a complete waste of time. However, I sincerely wish that they make some decision, whether it be break-up or marriage (I prefer marraige!) before we end up with a Thread 20 for them. I'm sure Carl Philip and Madeleine can get married anytime they want to, but traditionally it's the firstborn/crownprince/princess, who usually get married first. I would hate for any of the younger siblings to have to wait for their turn at the altar just because older sister Victoria didn't get married. (Not saying this will happen, at this rate I'm honestly thinking Madeleine might be the first one at the altar)
well, remember that Dutch queen Beatrix youngest son, Constantijn, was the first to get married (the eldest son married one year after that). And that seemed, in hindsight, kindof a good thing: that way, the royal family had the chance to rehearse for the "big" one!

And as impatient as us royal watchers can get over these things, I disagree that Victoria and her beau should make some kindof turning point decision of the direction of their relationship just because we want them to!
I agree that being the crown princess, one day to be queen, Victoria has the responsibility to find a suitable partner, or at least, that's how the story is supposed to go. But when exactly she decides to make that decision is entirely up to her. So what that she might pull a "Prince Albert" on us, and get engaged at, say, age 39.5? At least we will have years of "will-they-or-won't-they" threads on the Forum to look forward to! ;)

Of course I don't think Victoria should get engaged or break-up with Daniel merely because people want her too. All I'm saying is 13 threads, years of staying together, and lots of speculation must put pressure on them to make some sort of decision. The party that has it the toughest has to be Daniel. Pressure to propose and be manly but then kind of be a supportive shadow, if you will, to Victoria. Besides I don't think a Prince Consort would be allowed to have a gym empire.

Larzen said:

Its why i feel sorry for all the CPss look at Mary and Mathilde, etc etc, they all had to give up their lives - in Alex and Mary's and Maxima - their countries and religions. I honestly think they ask way too much of partners. Yet its acceptable for a female to give up their life, but not for a guy.,

Is it just me or do others also think, that a wedding is very unlikely this year, because Madeleine goes to NYC? Wouldn´t she be involved in the planning? I mean after the statements of ETW it was already very unlikely, but now I see even the smallest chances fading away :( :( :(

Lena said:
Is it just me or do others also think, that a wedding is very unlikely this year, because Madeleine goes to NYC? Wouldn´t she be involved in the planning? I mean after the statements of ETW it was already very unlikely, but now I see even the smallest chances fading away :( :( :(

although there wont be a swedish royal wedding this year, i would still expect an "announcement" or an "engagement" somehow...

purple_platinum said:
although there wont be a swedish royal wedding this year, i would still expect an "announcement" or an "engagement" somehow...

Me too. I simply can´t imagine, that they would go into a 6th year of relationship and nothing would happen. But that´s still so long...wedding 2007...sigh.

In the previous thread someone compared the long time the then Prince Carl Gustaf dated Miss Sommerlath before he became engaged to her to the long-standing friendship of CP Victoria. There is a big difference: according to the law of succession passed after the succession of Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte to the throne of Sweden in the 1800s which was still valid then, no prince of the House of Bernadotte was allowed to marry a commoner without loosing all: Royal Title, place in succession, inheritance. So he had to wait till he became king (as the king was allowed to marry a commoner - they obvioulsy never took that possibility into account, I guess). After Prince Carl Philip's birth the law on succession was changed by parliament and this paragraph removed along with the male primogeniture. So CP Victoria and her siblings are now allowed to marry commoners.

King Carl Gustaf became king Sept 1973 and married Silvia June 1976.

Expressen has a article on Daniel Westling today under the catchy title

MISSION: BECOME A PRINCE
Its about his physical change from trucker caps to elegant exclusive clothes.

About how he has branded himself in the serious paper Dagens Industri, starting with a small interveiw and to the latest long interveiw with him on the cover

He used to be a personal trainer, now he is the director of a company with 5 gyms
Daniels Mentor/advisor Johan Ericsson in Master Training Holding says
-The goal is to continue the expansion, avoid taking to big risks, not to borrow money if it is not strictly necessary, moderat growth and be careful with money and use common sense.
-Daniel is an entreprenour, I have great respect for his way to build a company. His strength makes sure that the company will expand but in a controlled pace (*)

Daniel Westlig has broken the links to his long time companion Benny Johansson and bought his shares, instead he has two new companions, Lars Hellström 31 and Patrik Vrbanc 34, both personal trainers that now are incharge of one gym each. Weslting companie had a positive result of 1 million SEK says Johan Ericsson. This million Westling will invest in his new Balance with Axa, the other 2 millions are covered by a group of private persons, as a total 3 million is beeing invested in Balance says Ericsson who got to know Daniel when he hired him as a Personal Trainer, Ercisson is head of Catella Property in Stockholm and he thinks the gym business is very lucrative

My translatio from:
http://expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=523666

about the finance and ownership of Westlings business in swedish
http://expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=523668

*This does not sound like an engagement is around the corner:(

Last edited:
Larzen said:
*This does not sound like an engagement is around the corner:(

Thank you for the summary, Larzen.
Yes, probably not. The date of the opening of the new gym was rescheduled again.
Crown Princess Lena would have dumped such a guy by now. I would assume, he doesn´t want the job and therefore this wouldn´t have a future :rolleyes: But maybe Victoria and Daniel think it´s better, when Daniel can realise his dreams before. Would make sense, when he could really do a final stroke later and could keep the nice memories and when he wouldn´t look back with sadness, because these happy self-determined times are over. But really...how many persons have the strength to do that. Especially when the 2 lives are so very different :confused:

Last edited:
here Is the Million dollar question who will marry first Crown Princess Victoria or William :)

Royal Fan said:
here Is the Million dollar question who will marry first Crown Princess Victoria or William :)
Is William that serious in his relationship that you think he will marry soon? Isn´t he to young? I would not want to marry at such a young age, and for how long have William and Kate (?) been dating?

I hope Victoria marries before William. She's five years older than him! Plus, she's next in line to the throne, it would be nice to have someone (maybe Daniel :rolleyes: ) to go through the whole process together. And Victoria isn't going to be gone for a long time doing military training.

I don't see the rush in Victoria marrying any time soon. I mean, her mother got married when she was 33 years old.

mixer2002de said:
Whats more important for Daniel? His businesses or Viktoria Bernadotte?
Until he marries her? His businesses of course. No one can predict the future and if he and Victoria suddently spil up, then it would have been a waste of time for his businesses if he had not also concentrated on this while dating Victoria. If they split up he can go on with his business with out having wasted anything. If they marry he can sell the whole thing, get maybe a lot of money, be rich on his own and abvoid the risc of being accused of marrying Victoria for money or not being accomplished enough for marying Victoria. Times change and maby he even will be able to keep his shares and be somekind of silent partner. But he should not stop his personal ambitions while dating Victoria. I can just imagine the critism here if he did NOTHING while dating Victoria:)

After I read a German book about queen Silvia in which some statements by CP Victoria about her childhood were featured, I have now revised my opinion about the delay in marriages for the Royal children of Sweden.

It seems they (especially Victoria as the eldest) are only too aware what having kids mean when it comes to Royal couples. While she clearly states that she had a good childhood she is very open about their missing their parents and feeling that the family had only second place behind public duty.

She is quoted as saying that especially Madeleine was missing their mother very much and how they envied other kids who had their parents every evening at home to tuck them in.

So I don't wonder any longer why the princess postpones the hard decisions she knows she will have to take when she is a mother as long as she can. She surely knows equally well that as soon as she got married the public will follow her every step and look out for a baby. After what she went through with her feeling of lost control in her late teens which led up to her eating disorder, I can understand it if she does not want to get into such a situation if she can help it.

Jo of Palatine said:
After I read a German book about queen Silvia in which some statements by CP Victoria about her childhood were featured, I have now revised my opinion about the delay in marriages for the Royal children of Sweden.

Norbert Loh´s book?

It seems they (especially Victoria as the eldest) are only too aware what having kids mean when it comes to Royal couples. While she clearly states that she had a good childhood she is very open about their missing their parents and feeling that the family had only second place behind public duty.

She is quoted as saying that especially Madeleine was missing their mother very much and how they envied other kids who had their parents every evening at home to tuck them in.

So I don't wonder any longer why the princess postpones the hard decisions she knows she will have to take when she is a mother as long as she can. She surely knows equally well that as soon as she got married the public will follow her every step and look out for a baby. After what she went through with her feeling of lost control in her late teens which led up to her eating disorder, I can understand it if she does not want to get into such a situation if she can help it.

Interesting post, Jo of Palatine!
But honestly I see the opposite thing, when I take account of these statements of Victoria. My logic would tell me, that it must be much better to get children soon, so that she-as crown princess-can handle her time for the children and her own "downtimes" flexible. Of course we all hope the king will get old and stays healthy for a long time, but one never knows, what will happen. And IMO it´s much easier for a heir, when he or she sees his/her role far apart with the own parent in the waiting queue. Something which Victoria hadn´t and which surely influenced her.
Besides one couldn´t say the pressure wouldn´t be there already. Just last week we talked about an article on possible infertility, because of hesitation. Of course this is exaggerated, she has plenty of time left...but these articles won´t become less, the longer she dates the same guy without any sign of engagement. To slip the puplic pressure...wouldn´t it there be much easier to marry, to throw the remaining pills into the toilet and to make a baby as soon as possible??
I also don´t see her as one of these traumatised children from broken homes. Her parents led and lead a happy marriage and tried their best to raise their children (I know one can´t measure mental pain or can compare it...but prince Charles surely had a much more terrible childhood)...so why should she wait to create her own little family?

I´ve said it before and I will say it again...out of my own experiences (with friends, acquaintances etc.) most couples know after a short while he or she is Mr. or Mrs. Right. So I would say either Victoria has made her decision long ago, but she fears married life (in a way also ordinary twens would do it), or Daniel isn´t ready or Daniel is simply not the right one.
Just my 2 cents of course (I would wish, I could finally stop with my theories...and could watch Victoria in white and Mamma Westling in tears of pride and joy :mad: )

Last edited:
I tought she would want to have kids now that she is "only" the Crown Princess, because once she is Queen, she would really have little or no time to spend with her kids.

Larzen said:
MISSION: BECOME A PRINCE
Its about his physical change from trucker caps to elegant exclusive clothes.

:(

I don't know why, but it remind me a bit Camilla's image changing before engagement:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom