The Swedish Monarchy Under Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madame Verseau

Royal Highness
City
Louisville
Country
United States
The day will come when Victoria ascends to the throne. After reading threads about the constitutional change and the popularity of the Bernadottes, I was wondering what may change, especially with any republican sentiment in Sweden. Would there be a bigger push to end the monarchy?

Also, if the monarchy were to stay, my guess it would, would the SRF be streamlined or still keep its 3-tier system? That is the main royal family (sovereign, consort & child(ren) & spouses), the ones with titles but no official duties, and the last with no titles and no official duties?

Lastly, would Victoria have a coronation or sort of a swearing in like Carl Gustaf had when he became king? Will Daniel's title become Prince Consort? Would Estelle be officially proclaimed crown princess? I was wondering if Sweden a real grand event because the last queen regnant was in 1720.

And, given what we know about Victoria - what would be her royal motto?

The day will come when Victoria ascends to the throne. After reading threads about the constitutional change and the popularity of the Bernadottes, I was wondering what may change, especially with any republican sentiment in Sweden. Would there be a bigger push to end the monarchy?

Also, if the monarchy were to stay, my guess it would, would the SRF be streamlined or still keep its 3-tier system? That is the main royal family (sovereign, consort & child(ren) & spouses), the ones with titles but no official duties, and the last with no titles and no official duties?

Lastly, would Victoria have a coronation or sort of a swearing in like Carl Gustaf had when he became king? Will Daniel's title become Prince Consort? Would Estelle be officially proclaimed crown princess? I was wondering if Sweden a real grand event because the last queen regnant was in 1720.

And, given what we know about Victoria - what would be her royal motto?

I don't see Victoria's accession leading to a surge in republicanism in Sweden. Actually, the opposite is probably more likely as she is far more popular than her father.

On the issue of titles, right now, it looks like all legitimate descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf who are not by law excluded from the line of succession automatically become HRHs. Over time, that is not sustainable as the number of HRHs would grow exponentially. Other countries (e.g the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, and even Spain and the UK) have rules (in some countries stricter than in others) that narrow down who can or cannot be an HRH. I assume that Sweden (or, for that matter, Belgium, which has a similar problem) will have to do something similar at some point.

On the formalities of the accession, I suppose it will be pretty much the same ritual that was used when Carl Gustaf became king, i.e. Victoria will be sworn in before a Council of State and will then deliver a formal, separate speech (hopefully from the Silver Throne) in the palace, with the State Crown and other regalia on the side. I definitely don't expect a coronation, as no Swedish king has been crowned since Oscar II in 1873.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb30Lf-xpRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-vH2efSx6A

Last edited:
In all four countries which saw an abdication: the Netherlands, the Holy See, Belgium and Spain, it caused a boost in the approval. [...]

There will be no coronation as only the United Kingdom has such a ceremony. Even the Holy See does not know any coronation at all anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the issue of titles, right now, it looks like all legitimate descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf who are not by law excluded from the line of succession automatically become HRHs. Over time, that is not sustainable as the number of HRHs would grow exponentially. Other countries (e.g the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, and even Spain and the UK) have rules (in some countries stricter than in others) that narrow down who can or cannot be an HRH. I assume that Sweden (or, for that matter, Belgium, which has a similar problem) will have to do something similar at some point.
/QUOTE]
I remember someone on another board here mentioning that maybe future grandchildren out of the main lines in Belgium, Sweden, etc. may choose to self-limit the HRH by simply not seeking official permission to marry. That would result in any children not having the HRH without needing new legislation.

Daniel will became H.R.H. Prince Consort or H.R.H. Prince Daniel of Sweden (as like Prince Claus or Prince Bernhard) ?

Or you can put it another way. If the main principle is that the legitimate descendants of the reigning king/queen will become HRH's, that's another thing. We can guess that there might be a few more grandkids to Carl XIV Gustav, but then things will quiet down for a while. By the time this next generation is old enough to have kids, it's most likely Victoria who is monarch. That means that only Oscar and Estelles kids would be HRH's.

Daniel will became H.R.H. Prince Consort or H.R.H. Prince Daniel of Sweden (as like Prince Claus or Prince Bernhard) ?

I believe Daniel will become H.R.H. Prince Daniel of Sweden.

I believe Daniel will become H.R.H. Prince Daniel of Sweden.

He already is HRH Prince Daniel of Sweden. I think there is a chance he might become HRH The Prince Consort following the Danish precedent.

He already is. He is HRH Prince Daniel of Sweden, Duke of Vastergotland.

I think it likely he he will be like Henrik, Prince consort.

He already is. He is HRH Prince Daniel of Sweden, Duke of Vastergotland.

I think it likely he he will be like Henrik, Prince consort.
We've never had someone with the title Prince Consort in Sweden before so who knows. I doubt it tbh since it doesn't roll as well of the tongue in Swedish as it does in Danish.
Fredrik of Hesse who was married to Queen Ulrika Eleonora was raised to the rank of Royal Highness with the title Prince of Sweden when his wife was elected queen.

Rock-solid pressure on Crown Princess Victoria
Being a queen means being constantly in the spotlight - Crown Princess Victoria has been prepared for the role throughout her life.
As a female regent, she will have a lot of pressure on her to fulfill the role of queen as well as head of state.
- It's a male position she enters - the king's role. At the same time, she is expected to manage the inheritance of her mother and the former queens, says Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen who has written the new book "Svenska drottningar" (Swedish queens).
The history of the queens is hotter than ever. This autumn, the series "Drottningarna" will be on TV4, starring the historian of ideas Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen, 55, who is the author behind the new book "Swedish Queens".
- The queens have always been observed and been the center of attention, they have been the subject of everyone's eyes. They are expected to be exemplary wives, motherly, gentle and conscientious - that is the essence of the queen's role.
How much do those requirements live on today?
- Surprisingly much. Each queen has, of course, been a representative of her time, but one can, for example, look at motherhood. Becoming a mother at all is very important for a queen. When Silvia was presented to the Swedish people in 1976, the question immediately arose that securing the succession to the throne had been central.
- Likewise, they were absolutely fascinated by Silvia's charisma and beauty, columns were written about it. So it has been through the ages too, a representative queen won the hearts of the people. She has created an emotional bond that softens the rather patriarchal structure around the monarchy.
Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen says that historically there have always been opinions about how the queens behaved or looked.
Victoria carries the legacy of both the king and queen
What awaits Crown Princess Victoria on the day she inherits the throne?
- It's a male position she enters - the king's role. She will be head of state and have a spouse by her side. At the same time, she is expected to manage the inheritance of her mother and the former queens - her appearance must be conscientious, loyal and caring.
- It is also expected that the royal couple will confirm the prevailing ideals. We see how Victoria and Daniel now present themselves as a modern and equal couple. They live healthy and are present and involved parents in their children's lives, it is a norm today.
Increased pressure on Victoria
Does this mean that there is increasing pressure on Victoria to meet expectations in all of these areas?
- Yes, I can think that. It is such a long tradition of male regents before her. It will be very exciting to see how a woman on the throne can make her mark. She will hold the role of both king and queen, with the legacy she shoulders.
How will the Crown Princess cope with the role of queen?
- An argument for the hereditary monarchy is usually that one can prepare the heir to the throne from the time he or she is small. I think the Crown Princess's parents have done that. She has been trained in the role. It is exciting to see how Victoria has already started to be out with Estelle and is slowly adapting her.
- I think Victoria will handle it well, because she has literally been trained into the role. The role requires being able to handle a life in more or less constant surveillance.
Stenhårda pressen på kronprinsessan Victoria

I think Victoria will be an astonishingly good queen when the time comes - following the same as she currently is as Crown Princess. She has always seemed to be professional and consistent in her role as well as in a personal capacity. She manages well the complexity of being modern and forward thinking, whilst maintaining the traditional and formal when it is required.

I personally think that institution of monarchy in Sweden will be in very safe hands and it may well give rise to more interest in the royal family and its popularity.

Last edited:
I also think Victoria will be a good queen and very popular.
Princess Victoria is the most popular member of the royal family, is very professional and has done a good job as an heiress princess.

It's interesting how the article stresses that it is 'a male position' that she will have when becoming head of state... It's not. Neither is her position as Heir apparent a 'male position' - it was in the past but it isn't any more.

Victoria has already shown a peak of what her role as queen will be through her role as Crown Princess. She's very professional and approachable and one of my favourite royals. I can see her as heading an important coorperation's meeting but also laughing and joking with her as a friend in the local cafe. That's a great quality for an heir to have.

Within time Princess Estelle would officially be declared Crown Princess of Sweden.

It's interesting how the article stresses that it is 'a male position' that she will have when becoming head of state... It's not. Neither is her position as Heir apparent a 'male position' - it was in the past but it isn't any more.

Why on earth would it be a "male position"? It seems very odd in the 21st century to say that being a constitutional monarch is a "male position"

I think everyone seems to have hit a 1950's housewife frame of mind. When Victoria is Queen she will, as other heirs before her, expand her sphere of influence just as Prince Daniel will his.

I think ther are some older people that will expect to see Victoria's hand pouring tea but that is not how this family rocks. I expect fewer engagements for Victoria but more serious work that we wont see. Daniel will continue on and, if he's half as good a Prince Consort as he is a Crown Prince, I see interesting times ahead. The Crown of Sweden will be in safe hands when it's the Crown Princess Family's time.

There is something lost in translation here because the article is very supportive of Crown Princess Victoria and makes a few interesting points about how her gender will influence her future role that I haven't thought about before.
Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen is right. Victoria will step into a traditionally male role being a woman holding what's up until that point has almost exclusively been a male position. During the thousand years (or so) that we've had a Swedish kingdom only 63 years have been with a woman as a head of state. 22 of those by a woman who held the title Queen Christina, King of Sweden. The point Karin finds interesting to look at is how as a monarch Victoria will have to balance both traditionally male attributes that comes with the role of head of state with the traditionally female attributes of previous queens such as being an exemplary wife and mother, kind, faithful and to create a bond through her femininity between the patriarchal court and the people. She'll be stepping into both her father's and her mother's shoes. We'll see Victoria do a lot of work away from the public eye like her father while still having to accept having her appearance scrutinised like her mother.
Karin is certain that Queen Victoria will handle this balance very well with Prince Daniel, who will also have to create a new role for himself, by her side and mentions how the couple perfectly mirrors the ideals of our time living in an equal relationship and being an integral presence in their children's lives.

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning had an article about what happens when Victoria some day becomes the queen at its latest issue.
Herman Lindqvist, court expert, author and Victoria's former private teacher in history says:
"I'm sure Victoria has figured out her motto already. She has had many years to do that. The king himself, however, has told me that he had never thought of it until a few days before he was to appear in the Hall of State. He and Princess Christina together made the motto "For Sweden - With the times". They called the Swedish Academy to ask if they could say so, and they could."

Svensk Damtidning had an article about what happens when Victoria some day becomes the queen at its latest issue.
Herman Lindqvist, court expert, author and Victoria's former private teacher in history says:
"I'm sure Victoria has figured out her motto already. She has had many years to do that. The king himself, however, has told me that he had never thought of it until a few days before he was to appear in the Hall of State. He and Princess Christina together made the motto "For Sweden - With the times". They called the Swedish Academy to ask if they could say so, and they could."
I read that article and almost screamed out loud since it happily announced that Victoria won't have a coronation like her father did in 1973. The last Swedish monarch to be crowned was Oscar II in 1873.

I read that article and almost screamed out loud since it happily announced that Victoria won't have a coronation like her father did in 1973. The last Swedish monarch to be crowned was Oscar II in 1873.

What is the odd century between you and me, when the SRF has been around for some time.

So what will Victoria's coronation look like?

She will not be crowned, just will swear an oath that she will be faithful to the Swedish Constitution.

All other European monarchs do just that, only in the Uk there is coronation still.

Last edited:
So what will Victoria's coronation look like?

There will not be actual coronation for queen Victoria. In Sweden such thing hasn't happened since 1872 when Oscar II was crowned. Carl Gustaf just gave oath and probably Victoria's ascension will be similar. In Europe only British monarchs are crowned and I am not sure if it will happen many generations anymore even if British monarchy would be around.

[...]
- It's a male position she enters - the king's role. At the same time, she is expected to manage the inheritance of her mother and the former queens, says Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen who has written the new book "Svenska drottningar" (Swedish queens).
[...]
- The queens have always been observed and been the center of attention, they have been the subject of everyone's eyes. They are expected to be exemplary wives, motherly, gentle and conscientious - that is the essence of the queen's role.
How much do those requirements live on today?
- Surprisingly much. Each queen has, of course, been a representative of her time, but one can, for example, look at motherhood. Becoming a mother at all is very important for a queen. When Silvia was presented to the Swedish people in 1976, the question immediately arose that securing the succession to the throne had been central.
- Likewise, they were absolutely fascinated by Silvia's charisma and beauty, columns were written about it. So it has been through the ages too, a representative queen won the hearts of the people. She has created an emotional bond that softens the rather patriarchal structure around the monarchy.
[...]
What awaits Crown Princess Victoria on the day she inherits the throne?
- It's a male position she enters - the king's role. She will be head of state and have a spouse by her side. At the same time, she is expected to manage the inheritance of her mother and the former queens - her appearance must be conscientious, loyal and caring.
[...]
Does this mean that there is increasing pressure on Victoria to meet expectations in all of these areas?
- Yes, I can think that. It is such a long tradition of male regents before her. It will be very exciting to see how a woman on the throne can make her mark. She will hold the role of both king and queen, with the legacy she shoulders.
[...]
Stenhårda pressen på kronprinsessan Victoria

Why on earth would it be a "male position"? It seems very odd in the 21st century to say that being a constitutional monarch is a "male position"

I think everyone seems to have hit a 1950's housewife frame of mind. When Victoria is Queen she will, as other heirs before her, expand her sphere of influence just as Prince Daniel will his.

I think ther are some older people that will expect to see Victoria's hand pouring tea but that is not how this family rocks. I expect fewer engagements for Victoria but more serious work that we wont see. Daniel will continue on and, if he's half as good a Prince Consort as he is a Crown Prince, I see interesting times ahead. The Crown of Sweden will be in safe hands when it's the Crown Princess Family's time.

Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen is right. Victoria will step into a traditionally male role being a woman holding what's up until that point has almost exclusively been a male position. During the thousand years (or so) that we've had a Swedish kingdom only 63 years have been with a woman as a head of state. 22 of those by a woman who held the title Queen Christina, King of Sweden. The point Karin finds interesting to look at is how as a monarch Victoria will have to balance both traditionally male attributes that comes with the role of head of state with the traditionally female attributes of previous queens such as being an exemplary wife and mother, kind, faithful and to create a bond through her femininity between the patriarchal court and the people. She'll be stepping into both her father's and her mother's shoes. We'll see Victoria do a lot of work away from the public eye like her father while still having to accept having her appearance scrutinised like her mother.
Karin is certain that Queen Victoria will handle this balance very well with Prince Daniel, who will also have to create a new role for himself, by her side and mentions how the couple perfectly mirrors the ideals of our time living in an equal relationship and being an integral presence in their children's lives.

I agree with JR76 and Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen. Constitutional reform of the succession to the Crown does not single-handedly eliminate patriarchy or gendered traditions. Sweden has never had a woman serve as prime minister. It is not only 1950s housewives who are aware that gender expectations and discrimination continue to be at work in the 21st century, including among younger people.

The royal family currently operates in a way that is very much reliant on conventional gender roles. There are innumerable examples one could point to, but the quote points out that Silvia was cherished for her beauty and her emotional bond with the people. We can observe through Daniel that very different expectations and perceptions are applied when the genders are reversed.

I agree with JR76 and Karin Tegenborg Falkdalen. Constitutional reform of the succession to the Crown does not single-handedly eliminate patriarchy or gendered traditions. Sweden has never had a woman serve as prime minister. It is not only 1950s housewives who are aware that gender expectations and discrimination continue to be at work in the 21st century, including among younger people.

The royal family currently operates in a way that is very much reliant on conventional gender roles. There are innumerable examples one could point to, but the quote points out that Silvia was cherished for her beauty and her emotional bond with the people. We can observe through Daniel that very different expectations and perceptions are applied when the genders are reversed.
Interesting that you decided to post this the day after I had a discussion with a friend about how effortlessly Crown Princess Victoria has taken several steps to the forefront during the absence of her father during the pandemic. It's all been done very smoothly and I think that what we see here is what we'll get once she becomes queen. The receiving and taking leave of foreign ambassadors, the King's meetings with the Prime minister and a few other ceremonies aside she's already taking part in all aspects of her father's office since the Swedish monarch isn't as politically involved as other European monarchs and we don't have the big investitures (not yet but fingers crossed), levées and audiences performed by other monarchs where she could have filled in during the unlikely illness of her seemingly very robust father. By the looks of it Victoria, with Daniel by her side, is ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom