The 40th Birthday - 14 July, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you LadyFinn for all your work and contribution for this (and other) thread(s)!

I wonder for how much more previews we will get from the SVT interview. Even though I like the small glimpses I want to keep something for the program itself. And from the videos I have seen I must say I already prefer this one over the one from TV4.

It is not many day left now, and I wonder if we will see any official conformation of participation from other Royal Houses, that said whether we will participate or not. I think it would be strange if there would be no royal guests at all, but it might be they are there in their private capacity.

Thank you LadyFinn for all your work and contribution for this (and other) thread(s)!

I wonder for how much more previews we will get from the SVT interview. Even though I like the small glimpses I want to keep something for the program itself. And from the videos I have seen I must say I already prefer this one over the one from TV4.

It is not many day left now, and I wonder if we will see any official conformation of participation from other Royal Houses, that said whether we will participate or not. I think it would be strange if there would be no royal guests at all, but it might be they are there in their private capacity.

I think that SVT doesn't release many more previews now. I wish they wouldn't publish any now, I also want to keep something for the program itself. I also think that Victoria and the court made good choices for interviewers at programs: Rather young woman Ebba Kleberg von Sydow (36) for TV4's program and respected Claes Elfsberg (68) for SVT's program. There is also some symbolism at the choice of Elfsberg, because he made the interview of king Carl Gustaf on his 70th birthday. The king and his heir are connected at these celebrations. I guessed already before we saw these programs, that Elfsberg's interview would be better. Ebba isn't my favourite, but this time she did a good job. But Elfsberg's interview will still be much better.

As for the possible royal guests, I don't think that they will attend at the official celebrations. I think that there could be a private party for Victoria's closest royal friends on 13th July in Stockholm. Or there could be a private party in Solliden in the evening on 15th July. We will see. But it would be a great surprise if some royal guests would attend at Victoriadagen concert and they would have a party after that.

Last edited:
I think that SVT doesn't release many more previews now. I wish they wouldn't publish any now, I also want to keep something for the program itself. I also think that Victoria and the court made good choices for interviewers at programs: Rather young woman Ebba Kleberg von Sydow (36) for TV4's program and respected Claes Elfsberg (68) for SVT's program. There is also some symbolism at the choice of Elfsberg, because he made the interview of king Carl Gustaf on his 70th birthday. The king and his heir are connected at these celebrations. I guessed already before we saw these programs, that Elfsberg's interview would be better. Ebba isn't my favourite, but this time she did a good job. But Elfsberg's interview will still be much better.

As for the possible royal guests, I don't think that they will attend at the official celebrations. I think that there could be a private party for Victoria's closest royal friends on 13th July in Stockholm. Or there could be a private party in Solliden in the evening on 15th July. We will see. But it would be a great surprise if some royal guests would attend at Victoriadagen concert and they would have a party after that.

Hopefully they will not release anything more, and I hope the released videos are representative for the entire program. I think you have a point in SVT using the same interviewer and host, at least with the King an elderly gentleman seems to work better with the personality of the King. I don't dislike Ebba, and think she had done well in previous show (weddings etc.) but this was just boring, and there was nothing new.

I guess it is most likely other Royals will join for a private party, but I do hope they attend the concert as well. It would not be the first time in that case, I also think it would be nice for them to see the huge annual celebration for the Swedish heir.

The organizers of Victoriadagen concert, Victoria Fair, Victoria Golf and other events help 10-year old Adam to get a world record.
They published in the beginning of May a press release and info at their social media:
Ten-year-old Adam Karlsson from Motala, more famous as Pen boy, has recently engaged whole Sweden with his collection of promotional pens.
The story began during a fair last summer. Adam, who has autism, usually has difficulties opening up and getting in touch with others. He is often retarded in situations and places with a lot of people. At the fair, promotional pens were distributed in one of the displays. After being encouraged by his family, Adam went forward. The pen he received during the meeting created a big interest in promotional pens. Initially, the collection was modest but soon it grew in rocket speed. In November, just after Adam's grandmother had passed away, his mother Katja wanted to cheer up her son. She wrote an advertisement about promotional pens at Blocket, which got a huge response. After about four months, Adam had received 230 000 pens. Adam has an outstanding memory and knows exactly what pens he has and how many. The dream is now to beat the world record with his collection. The record is held by a German woman with a collection of about 285 000 promotional pens. In order for the record to be valid, the collection shall not contain duplicate pens.
People can send pens to Victoriamässan (Victoria Fair)
Nu slår vi VÄRLDSREKORD tillsammans! - Victoriadagen | Officiell hemsida

And Victoriadagen updated yesterday to their Facebook, that Adam has now over 267 500 pens.
https://www.facebook.com/victoriada...8151886034592/703508893165553/?type=3&theater

Adam will be with his family at Victoria Fair on 13-14th July.

Claes Elfsberg was today at SVT's scene in Almedalen and told about his unique encounter with Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel.
It is rare that the Crown Princess gives interviews, and more unusual is that Victoria and Prince Daniel give a few opportunities to actually get close to them. So when Claes Elfsberg got the chance, he took it straight.
- She gives only a few big interviews, but I could ask what I wanted and she was surprisingly open, says Elfsberg to SVT News.
And it was an unusually intimate encounter with the family, where Elfsberg got a chance to get really close.
- She told she was suffering from performance anxiety and eating disorders, but she was lucky to receive both family support and professional help.
But there were also subjects that surprised even an experienced SVT anchor. To the question if he could "dua" the crown princess (to call her by her first name "Victoria, have you..."), he got a blank no.
- The royals are very strict about how they are addressed. One must say "Your Royal Highness". I tried to persuade her to go with "du" but she didn't want to. My personal opinion is that it becomes a bit stiff, he says.
The Crown Princess wants the respect for the title to be maintained, according to Elfsberg, and therefore does not want to be addressed "du".
Elfsberg points out that it was a very pleasant interview event.
- What strikes me the most is that it is a very nice family. Two extraordinarily nice people. I would love to hang out with them. At the same moment as you greet the Crown Princess, it feels like you have known her forever.
Elfsberg, who is retired, told also that he will host Rapport News program in the autumn.
Claes Elfsberg återvände till SVT-scenen för att berätta om unika mötet med kronprinsessan _ SVT Nyheter

I think that last year when Elfsberg interviewed king Carl Gustaf, he didn't ask if he could address the king "du"...

Last edited:
The organizers of Victoriadagen released yesterday this years Victoriatidningen (Victoria magazine). The magazine is delivered widely at the Kalmar county.
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=82b2df124d69ae7f250f057d63546408&oe=5A0B62B2

Victoria has said to Victoriatidningen that she has spent a lot of time in Öland and has many great memories from there. It is a place close to her heart and she associates it with calmness, relaxation and being together with her family. It is my summer paradise, said Victoria.

The magazine has also an article of Charles Hammarsten, the elegant photographer who has taken phtos of the royal family since 1965. He says that during the years he has built a good relationship with the royal family. The trust in Charles and his skills gve him the job to take photos of Victoria when she was one year old. Charles says that in the beginning there was only swedish photographers at Victoriadagen, but now it is a big event with photographers from all over the world. He has many good memories, both from Stockholm and Solliden. In 1980 he stayed in Solliden almost a week and followed queen Silvia, Victoria and Carl Philip both on the sea and land. He got an idea to take photos of queen Silvia cycling with the children. The queen didn't have a children's seat to her bike, so Charles went to Borgholm's Sport Shop and bought one. The photos became very good.
Charles took photos to Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg's book of Victoria. But now it ends, this year is the last he follows Victoria's celebration. Charles says that he takes photos of Victoria's birthday at the Royal Palace and from the cortège, but he doesn't go to Öland. It feels sad, but he thinks that it is time to put his camera to the shelf and spend time with his grandchildren (Charles has his 70th birthday this year).
Victoriatidningen publishes these photos of Victoria taken by Charles Hammarsten. At one of the photos Charles is with Victoria on her 30th birthday.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

You can read Victoriatidningen here:
VICTORIATIDNINGEN 2017 - Victoriadagen _ Officiell hemsida

Victoria and photographer Charles Hammarsten

Last edited:
Claes Elfsberg was today at SVT's scene in Almedalen and told about his unique encounter with Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel.
It is rare that the Crown Princess gives interviews, and more unusual is that Victoria and Prince Daniel give a few opportunities to actually get close to them. So when Claes Elfsberg got the chance, he took it straight.
- She gives only a few big interviews, but I could ask what I wanted and she was surprisingly open, says Elfsberg to SVT News.
And it was an unusually intimate encounter with the family, where Elfsberg got a chance to get really close.
- She told she was suffering from performance anxiety and eating disorders, but she was lucky to receive both family support and professional help.
But there were also subjects that surprised even an experienced SVT anchor. To the question if he could "dua" the crown princess (to call her by her first name "Victoria, have you..."), he got a blank no.
- The royals are very strict about how they are addressed. One must say "Your Royal Highness". I tried to persuade her to go with "du" but she didn't want to. My personal opinion is that it becomes a bit stiff, he says.
The Crown Princess wants the respect for the title to be maintained, according to Elfsberg, and therefore does not want to be addressed "du".
Elfsberg points out that it was a very pleasant interview event.
- What strikes me the most is that it is a very nice family. Two extraordinarily nice people. I would love to hang out with them. At the same moment as you greet the Crown Princess, it feels like you have known her forever.
Elfsberg, who is retired, told also that he will host Rapport News program in the autumn.
Claes Elfsberg återvände till SVT-scenen för att berätta om unika mötet med kronprinsessan _ SVT Nyheter

I think that last year when Elfsberg interviewed king Carl Gustaf, he didn't ask if he could address the king "du"...

I find it quite interesting how much SVT is promoting this interview, that didn't happen for the interview with the King last year. And I think the talk with Claes Elfsberg at Almedalen was nice, and to hear him talk about the impressions and experiences from the interview and the family.

Why did this guy think he can call Victoria by her first name? He's not familiar or family; and even if he were, he should not be addressing her that way while on the clock. He certainly wouldn't have done that to the king or queen. "What's up CG; how's it going Syl?" Really?

I find it quite interesting how much SVT is promoting this interview, that didn't happen for the interview with the King last year. And I think the talk with Claes Elfsberg at Almedalen was nice, and to hear him talk about the impressions and experiences from the interview and the family.

I see at least three reasons why SVT promotes this interview so much:
First, Victoria is super popular. People are much more interested in her than the king. Second, also Daniel is interviewed and Estelle and Oscar are with at the program. People are interested in them too. Third, TV4 showed it's two-part documentary already a month ago and SVT wants to highlight that this interview is totally different than that.

Here is SVT's video, where Claes Elfsberg tells about how it was to interview Victoria and meeting her family. Elfsberg tells that he could ask anything he wanted, and he didn't have to send his questions before the interviews to Victoria. Victoria had only wanted to know which themes Elfsberg was going to speak at each time a part of the program was recorded. Elfsberg says that he wanted this program to be a portrait, that we would understand better what kind of a person crown princess Victoria is, what kind of personality, he didn't want to search for gossip about hers and Daniel's relation. Elfsberg says that Daniel told a couple of things about Victoria as a person, and he sees that it was important, that he describes his wife. Elfsberg says that Daniel became very moved when he told what Victoria had done at some situation, he sympathisized Victoria so much. It is obvious that Daniel thinks that his wife is exceedingly fine and good person. Elfsberg says that this is a program about Victoria, but he spoke a little with Daniel outside the interview, and Daniel thinks that he has found good things to do. Daniel is a totally differend kind of person as Victoria, a former entrepreneur, and Daniel thinks that he can bring some things from his former job to his work as a prince. Victoria is very loyal to her father. They resemble each other and sometimes Victoria puts words very similarly than her father. The king is more reserved than Victoria and more suspicious about the purposes of reporters. Victoria is very good in making people feel comfortable when they are with her.
SVT-scenen_ Almedalen - Claes Elfsberg om att intervjua kronprinsessan _ SVT Play

Why did this guy think he can call Victoria by her first name? He's not familiar or family; and even if he were, he should not be addressing her that way while on the clock. He certainly wouldn't have done that to the king or queen. "What's up CG; how's it going Syl?" Really?
Because the reporters and interviewers "duar" everyone else in Sweden than the members of the royal family. Everyone "duar" everyone in Sweden. Elfsberg said at the video that the big difference on interviewing the royals and the politicians is just that you may not "dua" the royals. The reporters say to swedish prime minister "Stefan, why haven't you...". Elfsberg said at the video that Victoria said that because of the respect to her title and the respect to the Head of State, she doesn't want to be "duad".

Last edited:
I see at least three reasons why SVT promotes this interview so much:
First, Victoria is super popular. People are much more interested in her than the king. Second, also Daniel is interviewed and Estelle and Oscar are with at the program. People are interested in them too. Third, TV4 showed it's two-part documentary already a month ago and SVT wants to highlight that this interview is totally different than that.

You might be right here, but I still find it interesting. SVT, has not really been famous for their Royal coverage in the news, there is never a thing on the daily work of the Family, not even when it comes to state visits. We'll see if their will be any opinions voiced regarding the lack of critical journalism of the monarchy in this case. It most often, follows this kind of coverage.

It is not as strange as it seems at first, not for a Swede at least. On the hand, I think many Swedes could think it is strange and old-fashioned to have to say "Ni" or "Kronprinsessan" when talking to the Crown Princess. It might be different when it comes to the King and Queen, but I think a lot of people don't care if they say "du" to them as well. Claes Elfsberg talks about this as well in the talk in SVT, that it might be a difference as the King is Head of State.

All of this is relation to that Swedes say "du" (second person singular pronoun) or calla person by first name to everyone, even if we're not familiar or family with with them. Titles and/or Mr, Mrs kind off titular are not in use anymore in Sweden, expect from the Royal Court, also the Prime Minister is adressed "du" in an interview and not "Mr Prime Minister". Today even, people get upset (also me) when called "Ni" (second person plural pronoun) as a curtsey in stores or restaurants.

More on the famous du-reformen could be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du-reformen

At least has the adress of members of the Royal Family become easier and less formal with the times. Before, Your Majesty was alway used, but nowadays "The King" is used instead, with equivalent use for other members.

Roger Lundgren, the editor in chief of Kungliga Magasinet, writes also chronicles to Hemmets Journal. At the latest issue he congratules Victoria and tells about when he met Victoria for the first time in 1997. Victoria will also be on the cover of Kalle Anka & Co's next issue.

A couple of photos taken by Jonas Ekströmer to TT's birthday interview with Victoria in the beginning of June.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010020011S1499352906907199
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010020021S1499352906907199

Last edited:
Expressen tells about Victoriadagen concert, when it starts, who performs and where you can get tickets. And they publish photos of Victoria every year, most of them taken on her birthday. The article also lists the winners of the Victoria scholarship in every year.
Victoriadagen i bilder – så firar du på ett kungligt sätt _ Kungligt _ Expressen

German ZDF shows on 11th July at 20.15 a program "Kronprinzessin und Superstar – Victoria von Schweden wird 40"
Pressemappe_ Kronprinzessin und Superstar_ ZDF Presseportal

Finnish YLE TV1 -channel shows Claes Elfsberg's interview of Victoria on Sunday 16th July
Kruununprinsessa Victoria 40 vuotta – ”Hän on uskomaton persoona” _ Yle TV1 _ yle.fi

Last edited:
Crown Princess Victoria is on the cover in the latest Kalle Anka & C:eek: (Donald Duck & C:eek:)
In the new issue of Kalle Anka & C:eek: we can see Crown Princess Victoria, as we have never seen her before. The cover is adorned by an "duckied" crown princess who is celebrated on her 40th birthday by Kalle Anka with a cake and song.
- This is the first time we have a royal on the cover. We hope that Victoria appreciates both being drawn as a duck and being on the cover of our classic magazine, says Anna Bergström, editorial project manager for Kalle Anka & C: o.
Kalle Anka & C:eek: came out for the first time in 1948 and that actual people are with at the magazine isn't very usual. Crown Princess Victoria is now a part of an exclusive group of Swedes who have been at the magazine. Other celebrities seen in Duckburg over the years are Christer Fuglesang (aka Buster Fågelsång), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (aka Zlankan Ibraformovich), Loreen (aka Hårfeen), Petra Mede (aka Tetra Medwurst), Måns Zelmerlöv (aka Mums Zemmelbröd), Fredrik Reinfeldt Aka Didrik Kalfält) and Stefan Lövfen (aka Staffan Sjöben).
The Crown Princess has not yet been assigned a Duck name, it will be voted by fans and readers on Kalle Anka's Facebook page.
The famous Norwegian Donald Duck cartoonist Arild Midthun has designed the cover and drawn Victoria as a duck.
- It has been an honor to draw the Crown Princess as a duck before her big day. Victoria has a strong radiance and, with a beautiful little duck beak, she feels as self-evident and irresistible to the people of Duckburg as for us in Scandinavia, says Arild Midthun.
In the current issue you can also read a Kalle Anka timeline over the Crown Princess's life, as well as read about other princesses who have figured in Duckburg.
Kronprinsessan Victoria pryder omslaget i senaste Kalle Anka & C_o - Egmont Publishing
http://mb.cision.com/Public/2596/2304333/86ee199590d6021d_800x800ar.jpg
http://mb.cision.com/Public/2596/2304333/b2cb43bf02104762_800x800ar.jpg
http://mb.cision.com/Public/2596/2304333/9391d84a7bcf4dec_800x800ar.jpg

- It's exciting with a royal! We have previously drawn Zlatan which some call King, but this is the first time we have a real royal, says Anna Bergström, editorial project manager of Kalle Anka & C:eek:.
Why do you think she was willing?
- Because it's a fun thing and an honor to get to Sweden's biggest comic.
Could it also have something to do with Estelle reading Kalle Anka?
- I did not know she did! Yes maybe.
Have you shown the cover to Victoria?
- Yes, she has been with during the whole process and approved from sketch to coloring.
Därför blir Victoria Kalle Anka-figur _ Svensk Damtidning

Aftonbladet's TV-magazine about "Hennes vänliga höghet" -programme:
Claes Elfsberg says that interviewing Victoria was very, very nice. She is a very likeable person, who has the ability to make those who are talking with her, to feel themselves significant. Elfsberg says that he was surprised how serious Victoria's anxiety problem had been. Elfsberg says that Victoria opens for the first time so much and talks freely about her anorexia and says that she has a tendency to see things a little negatively. Elfsberg says that Victoria describes herself that she lives a common life with the same challenges than other working parents. The family is essential for Victoria and Elfsberg thinks that Victoria is a very good mother to her children.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010100011R1499682424907821
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010100021R1499682424907821

Finnish Hufvudstadsbladet (a newspaper in swedish in Finland) has an article about Victoria, her birthday and life. You have to pay to read it, there is nothing special in it, about Victoria's visits to Finland and the reporter tells about the meetings with Victoria.
"She is the most popular in the Swedish royal house - Victoria is the favorite and the princess who saves the monarchy". Cheerful, conscientious and it is impossible not to like her.
Hon är populärast i det svenska kungahuset – Victoria är favoriten och prinsessan som räddar monarkin

Finnish journalist Raila Kinnunen writes chronicles about royals. Now she writes about Victoria, her interviews due to her birthday, and the birthday celebration.
40-year-old Victoria is a sensitive and hearty crown princess
Victoria is quite good as a person. And a very good crown princess.
You learn, are taught and raised to a Crown princess. The best part to learn is to follow your own parents.
Years are doing good, provide information, routine and self-confidence. But the warmth of the heart, the interest on every person and humanity which everyone senses, can not be taught, learned or pretended. The fellow human being senses acting and, on the other hand, recognizes the right presence and care.
Crown Princess Victoria is the master of care taking, she can focus on the moment, listen and react, even if there is hurry and rush. This is remembered also in Finland by everyone who has met Victoria, and the crown princess has visited in her neighboring country frequently. Very formal, less formal and completely private.
40 vuotta täyttävä Victoria on herkkä ja sydämellinen kruununprinsessa - Eeva-blogit

Karin Lennmor, the royal commentator in Expressen writes at her chronicle about the celebrations in Öland, she writes also about royal guests, it is her speculation. But she has good connections and has a house in Öland.
This year more than 10,000 visitors are expected and the queues across the Öland Bridge will be long. The founder and organizer of the event, Kay Wieståhl, once told that the royal family once tried to put foot down and suggested that "next year is the last time". But it hasn't happened and today, the family has fully accepted that Victoriadagen will live on as a nice feature of the summer ...
This year, now it's 40th birthday, it's obviously extra big celebration. It is expected that many royal guests and relatives will come to Solliden, but also friends (you can usually see them in the audience at the Sports Arena in the TV broadcast.) There are rumors about a party tent and a special concert ... A happy party it will surely be!
Kunglig glans när Victoria firar 40 år _ Karin Lennmor _ Expressen

Last edited by a moderator:
On a more funny note: SE BILLEDET: Kronprinsesse Victoria forvandlet til populær tegneseriefigur | BILLED-BLADET

Victoria has ended up on the cover of Donald Duck.

Donald Duck, who is the most well-known and beloved of the Disney characters in Scandinavia, is called Kalla Anka in Sweden.
Victoria is not the first royal to end up in the Donald Duck magazine.
QMII had the honor in the Danish version, Anders And: http://adn.dk/aa/artwork/Image1_small.png
Notice the PET officers in this cartoon: http://ekstrabladet.dk/migration_ca...e/IMAGE_ALTERNATES/relationBig_910/anders and

ADDED: I hadn't noticed LadyFinn's post.

Svensk Damtidning writes that if everything goes as planned, princesses Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree and Christina attend at Victoria's celebration. The Westling family attends too and a lot of relatives from the king's and queen's families. No foreign royals are among the guests this time. Many of Victoria's friends attend too. The court has told that they publish the guest list on Thursday.
Vi avslöjar: De kommer på Victorias 40-årsfest! | Svensk Damtidning

Claes Elfsberg said in Almedalen, that he got the feeling that Victoria didn't want her birthday celebration to be very extensive but had agreed to Te Deum and cortège.

Here is your life, Victoria - TT's photo gallery of Victoria's life
Här är ditt liv Victoria

Last edited:
SVT has put to their SVT play videos of Victoria as a child due to her birthday.
Victoria is born
Prinsessan Victoria föds _ SVT Play
Christening
Prinsessan Victoria döps _ SVT Play
The family making sausage for Christmas
Kungafamiljen stoppar korv _ SVT Play
A reporter asks: What did you think about the film? 9-year old Victoria says to him: Don't make any questions, you will just get a stupid answer
Kronprinsessan Victoria, 9 år, dissar reporter _ SVT Play
Victoria tells about her nickname "Oja". Victoria says that she thinks that Carl Philip called her Toja at first and then it became Oja
Kronprinsessan Victoria berättar om sitt smeknamn Oja _ SVT Play

Expressen writes that there is one thing which Crown Princess Victoria wanted most of all: to gather all her aunts, the king's sisters, to a dinner at Solliden Palace.
According to information to Expressen, she has invited all four "Haga princesses" to a private gathering at Solliden Palace, immediately after Victoriadagen has been celebrated at Borgholm's Sports Arena on Friday evening.
The reason is simple: Victoria thinks that she hasn't met her aunts enough lately. Therefore she wants to gather all four aunts to a dinner together with the rest of the family.
The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren confirms that the king's four sisters are invited to the official part of the birthday celebration.
- The king's sisters attend the celebrations in Stockholm, she says.
Are the sisters coming to Öland?
- The royal family often meets after Victoriadagen at Borgholm's Sports Arena. It's a private tradition and it's the closest family which gathers, she says, continuing.
- So yes, the king's sisters participate also in the private celebration in the evening.
Victorias önskan från Hagasessorna _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Crown Princess Victoria has decided. The foreign royals didn't get an invitation to her 40th birthday,
The reason is that the Crown Princess "wants to keep a low profile".
On Friday, Crown Princess Victoria will begin her two-day 40th anniversary celebration. It starts with a Te Deum in the Royal Chapel in Stockholm and is followed by a reception at Logården. Over 200 guests are invited. Besides many employees at the court and representatives of the official Sweden, the closest family to Crown Prince Victoria is present, as well as Prince Daniel's family.
The entire guest list will be published on Thursday.
- The reason why it is published so late is that it should be a current guest list. Guests may be prevented at the last minute and then we will wait as long as possible to ensure that the information is correct, says Margareta Thorgren.
But already it is clear that no foreign royals will be in the Chapel. The court tells it, even before the guest list is published.
- No guests from other royal houses are invited. The Crown Princess wants to keep a low profile at this 40th anniversary, said Thorgren.
- The guest list consists mainly of the closest family, the Crown Princess's family and Prince Daniel's family. Then there will also be a number of employees at the court and other representatives of the official Sweden to be present. After the church service, a reception takes place at Logården with the possibility to deliver gifts. Then the Crown Princess family will go for a cortège through Stockholm.
Victorias beslut_ De får inte komma på födelsedagsfesten _ Kungligt _ Expressen

:previous:

I think it is a pity no foreign royals will be in attendance for the celebrations, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its tough for royals as the moment foreign royals are invited to anything remotely 'official' it turns into a big event. I'm sure some of her closest foreign royal friends will mark the birthday with Vic in some way just out of the public eye.

I applaud Victoria's decision and actually hope this sort of more low key celebration becomes more common for royal birthdays. I like seeing royals from different countries interact in general but don't see the need for a fancy party for foreign royalty folded in to the official celebrations and paid for with public money.

Victoria can have and pay for a private party for her royal friends at her leisure.

Victoria is a pretty savvy woman, I think.

Is it really low key when there's gonna be 2 days of celebrations in 2 different parts of Sweden including a cortège escorted by the royal cavalry through the streets of Stockholm which will lead to the temporary closure of major boulevards? To me low key would be not having any special events just because it's a round birthday and celebrating the usual way or better still keeping it behind closed doors

Is it really low key when there's gonna be 2 days of celebrations in 2 different parts of Sweden including a cortège escorted by the royal cavalry through the streets of Stockholm which will lead to the temporary closure of major boulevards? To me low key would be not having any special events just because it's a round birthday and celebrating the usual way or better still keeping it behind closed doors

I like looking at the pictures from the extravagant royal birthdays but on a practical level they're all overkill. No one needs a public celebration of their birthday and absolutely no one needs a multi day celebration of their birthday - even Jesus only gets one day per year. ;)

But it's a step in the right direction, IMO.

I'm looking forward to the pictures and stories on Victoria's 2-day celebration:flowers:, even with it being low key (by royal standards). It would be nice to see the Westlings again; they are only in the news when there's a major royal event. For the cartoon character, I would have picked Wonder Woman for Victoria.

It would be really odd if the birthday of the heir to the throne wouldn't be noticed at all at the capital of Sweden. And 200 guests isn't very much.
We can compare this birthday to Victoria's 30th birthday. Then there was in Stockholm
- Reception for representatives of Riksdag (Parliament) and Government
- Gun salute being fired from Skeppsholmen Island
- Military's tribute in Inner Courtyard with military bands
In Solliden Palace
- people congratulating Victoria (at 16.00)
At Borgholm Sports Arena
- Victoriadagen concert

Now, when Victoria has her own family (+ Daniel's family), she wants to celebrate her big day with them at Te Deum instead of the military's tribute. And because Victoria and her family are so popular, the court has decided that a cortége would be a nice add to the program. Obviously they have good memories from last year's King's birthday, where the king and queen were taken at a cortége to events.
Now the court had to put the celebrations on two days. Maybe the time schedule on 2007 was too tight. And there are coming more and more people to Solliden to meet Victoria and her family. Last year there was over 4000 people and it often takes over two hours for Victoria to shake hands, welcome presents and chat and pose for selfies with the people. And because Victoria has to change clothes and the royal family goes with a cortège to Borgholm Sports Arena, where the concert begins at 18.30, there wasn't time for the celebration in Solliden on Friday. Victoria wants to make sure that she has time to all the people who have come to Solliden.

Articles in magazines about Victoria and her birthday
Allers
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010080011K1499834785901990
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010080021K1499834785901990
Hänt Extra
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010080031K1499834785901990
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010080041K1499834785901990
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010080051K1499834785901990
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010080061K1499834785901990

Last edited:

Totally agree with you. There's been lots of hype around the 40th birthday, so it would have been nice to see some foreign royals in attendance, at least someone from Denmark and Norway attending wouldn't have hurt anyone in my opinion. But when even Victoria's siblings will be attend the 4-0 celebrations only on one day (14 July), then perhaps inviting foreign royals would have been too much of a fuss. And I guess now all attention can undisturbedly
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
stay on birthday girl and her family, and they keep everything else "low key" ;)

Last edited:
Crown Princess Victoria has decided. The foreign royals didn't get an invitation to her 40th birthday,
The reason is that the Crown Princess "wants to keep a low profile".
On Friday, Crown Princess Victoria will begin her two-day 40th anniversary celebration. It starts with a Te Deum in the Royal Chapel in Stockholm and is followed by a reception at Logården. Over 200 guests are invited. Besides many employees at the court and representatives of the official Sweden, the closest family to Crown Prince Victoria is present, as well as Prince Daniel's family.

Then the Crown Princess family will go for a cortège through Stockholm.
Victorias beslut_ De får inte komma på födelsedagsfesten _ Kungligt _ Expressen

"Low profile"....;) This is not a low profile celebration.

I applaud Victoria's decision and actually hope this sort of more low key celebration becomes more common for royal birthdays. I like seeing royals from different countries interact in general but don't see the need for a fancy party for foreign royalty folded in to the official celebrations and paid for with public money.

Victoria can have and pay for a private party for her royal friends at her leisure.

Victoria is a pretty savvy woman, I think.
I like looking at the pictures from the extravagant royal birthdays but on a practical level they're all overkill. No one needs a public celebration of their birthday and absolutely no one needs a multi day celebration of their birthday - even Jesus only gets one day per year. ;)

But it's a step in the right direction, IMO.
1. You mention this in many of your posts, and I don't agree with any of it.

2. It's a tradition in the UK, Norway, Denmark and Sweden to have public celebrations with the people and foreign royal guest when the monarch has a milestone Jubilee/birthday.

3. If they start to only celebrate privately, then the criticism will be strong from both experts/commentators and the media (especially in the UK, Denmark and Norway). It's already been criticism about the lack of celebrations for QMII's golden wedding anniversary and the fact that King Harald has desided to downplay his wedding anniversary next year after two years with Large scale celebrations in Norway. (I will make a post about it in the 80th birthday thread when I have the time.)

4. Had Victoria been the monarch, then her birthday would have been marked with larger celebrations and rightly so.

5. United Kingdom: The Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in the UK was even bigger, and there were some criticism of the desision to not selebrate the Sapphire Jubilee this year. QEII's 60th and 80th birtdays was also marked with large celebrations - but not as big as the 90th who was celebrated through the year. The difference between QEII and the Scandinavian monarch is that the Queen doesn't marks her milestones with large official dinners, but the celebrations in the UK is still much bigger.

6. And if BP had said last year that the Queen's 90th birthday celebrations would not be celebrated, then people in the media and royal commentators etc would have gone through the roof. They had reacted even worse if the Diamond Jubilee hadn't been marked. And there were much criticism of the desission to not celebrate when HM become the longest reigning british monarch in 2015.

It would be really odd if the birthday of the heir to the throne wouldn't be noticed at all at the capital of Sweden. And 200 guests isn't very much.
We can compare this birthday to Victoria's 30th birthday. Then there was in Stockholm
- Reception for representatives of Riksdag (Parliament) and Government
- Gun salute being fired from Skeppsholmen Island
- Military's tribute in Inner Courtyard with military bands
In Solliden Palace
- people congratulating Victoria (at 16.00)
At Borgholm Sports Arena
- Victoriadagen concert

Now, when Victoria has her own family (+ Daniel's family), she wants to celebrate her big day with them at Te Deum instead of the military's tribute. And because Victoria and her family are so popular, the court has decided that a cortége would be a nice add to the program. Obviously they have good memories from last year's King's birthday, where the king and queen were taken at a cortége to events.
Now the court had to put the celebrations on two days. Maybe the time schedule on 2007 was too tight. And there are coming more and more people to Solliden to meet Victoria and her family. Last year there was over 4000 people and it often takes over two hours for Victoria to shake hands, welcome presents and chat and pose for selfies with the people. And because Victoria has to change clothes and the royal family goes with a cortège to Borgholm Sports Arena, where the concert begins at 18.30, there wasn't time for the celebration in Solliden on Friday. Victoria wants to make sure that she has time to all the people who have come to Solliden.

Articles in magazines about Victoria and her birthday
Allers
Hänt Extra

I completely agree with you but to call it low key is a bit of a stretch. Less pompous/ extravagant would have been more appropriate terminology

ZDF broadcasted yesterday their documentary Kronprinzessin und Superstar - Victoria von Schweden wird 40
You can watch it at their Mediathek
Kronprinzessin und Superstar_ Victoria von Schweden wird 40 - ZDFmediathek

At the documentary clips of Victoria’s interview for TV4 is shown.
Many people are interviewed in the documentary, here's part what they say:
Historian Herman Lindqvist says that the people like that Victoria has married a strong man. They suit well together. They are a modern couple. Lindqvist tells also how he was Victoria's teacher in history for three years. Victoria came to him and asked him to tell her about history, because due to her dyslexia learning through reading was tougher for her. Lindqvist also praises Victoria when she visited Drottninggatan after the terror attack and the reporters wanted her to say something. And she said spontaneously a few words. And her "together" just came to that moment, and showed that she is on the right place. People love that.
Queen Silvia's former lady-in-waiting Wendela Mattsson tells about Victoria’s christening.
The former Chaplain of the Royal Court Parish and Bishop Emeritus Lars-Göran Lönnermark tells how queen Silvia asked if they should do a prayer book. And Victoria's prayer book was published and read in Swedish homes. Lönnermark tells also about Victoria's role. Her job is to be the crown princess and represent Sweden and stand for what is right and true.
Jonas Gardell, whom Victoria delivered the prize The Gay of the Year, tells how they thought it would be a drag queen as Victoria, when it was announced at the gala that Crown Princess Victoria would deliver the prize. Than then she did something extraordinaly: she bowed to the LGBT people at the gala. Gardell says that the crown princess has to bow only to her father, the king. And now she bowed to them.
Jenny Alexandersson, the royal expert of Aftonbladet is of course also interviewed, she always is at the german programmes of the Swedish royal family.
Historian Göran Alm tells about Victoria's first official speech on her 18th birthday. Alm says that Victoria gave her speech superbly and he thinks that many Swedes fell in love with Victoria then. Alm tells also that when he on the wedding day looked out from a window at the Palace, someone patted him on his shoulder: "Göran, wasn't that a fantastic wedding ceremony?". And Alm said to him: "Yes, Prince Daniel, it was wonderful".
The documentary tells about Victoria's and Daniel's relationship. How there were doubts if he was good enough for her, and how they couldn't be together even at private events if cameras where there.
Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg says about Victoria's and Daniel's relationship and the stress around it, that many feared that Victoria could get an eating disorder again. But Victoria and Daniel blocked everyone out and lived in a bubble where no one could enter. That was their secret, how they managed to go through it. ETW tells also that she was in bed in the morning when Victoria called her that her engagement would be published on that day. ETW says that she cried for joy, finally Victoria had got what she had wanted. ETW says that officially Victoria is the number one, but in the family they share the duties.
Former prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt tells how the king invited him to Drottningholm and told that Victoria and Daniel wanted to get married and asked for the acceptance of the government. Reinfeldt says that of course he gave the acceptance and thought: Finally! Perfect! Reinfeldt says that one day there will be a queen, first Victoria and then Estelle, and that is a good thing. Crown princess Victoria has prepared to her role her entire life, she is a quite intelligent woman, a really skilled person. She is not just born to be a queen, she will also deliver a good job.
The former Crown Equerry of the Royal Court Mertil Melin tells about all the rehearsals and training for the wedding: the cortège, the transports. And on the wedding day everything went perfect.
Magdalena Streijffert, a representative of the Republican Association, says that she has nothing against Victoria in person, just the principles. Victoria is a really good person and she has it difficult to speak about Victoria in this context, it would be easier to talk about the king. Victoria is doing a great work, says Streijffert.
Ardalan Shekarabi, the Minister for Public Administration, says that Victoria is important in the discussion of sustainability. Victoria is a modern woman, and he believes that Victoria will become a great monarch.

Back
Top Bottom