The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What will it be?
Boy 48 50.00%
Girl 40 41.67%
Twins: Boy & Girl 4 4.17%
Twins: Two Boys 3 3.13%
Twins: Two Girls 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Gentry

I will go with boy to.
Prince Erik Gustav Johan Magnus , Duke of Dalarnia &Dalsland.

God Parent: Crown Princess Mette-Marit
A Dutch royal
HGD couple (either Guillaume or Stephanie)
A close friend to Victoria
A family friend to Daniel
Another royal

Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I have a question for the swedish members here: what does "lilla" exactly mean in swedish? Is the english word for "little/small one"? Because I read a tweet, in which the person wondered if "Lilla" stands for the feminine version of "small" when referring to a baby. Apparently Queen Silvia has reffered to the second child of Victoria as "lilla" and it is not clear whether it means a girl or not.
Tweet:

Interesting tidbit- Queen Silvia has referred to Crown Princess Victorias unborn baby as "Lilla", the feminine form of "the little one"
7 Retweet

Old 12-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I have a question for the swedish members here: what does "lilla" exactly mean in swedish? Is the english word for "little/small one"? Because I read a tweet, in which the person wondered if "Lilla" stands for the feminine version of "small" when referring to a baby. Apparently Queen Silvia has reffered to the second child of Victoria as "lilla" and it is not clear whether it means a girl or not.
Tweet:

Interesting tidbit- Queen Silvia has referred to Crown Princess Victorias unborn baby as "Lilla", the feminine form of "the little one"
7 Retweet
Lilla is means "the small" but it's used in everyday speech for both sexes so I wouldn't read too much into it, especially since it's from Silvia. I mean... you can distinguish between it with using lille for a boy or lilla for a girl but they usually get used very loosely and may depend alot on dialects
Old 12-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Lilla is means "the small" but it's used in everyday speech for both sexes so I wouldn't read too much into it, especially since it's from Silvia. I mean... you can distinguish between it with using lille for a boy or lilla for a girl but they usually get used very loosely and may depend alot on dialects

Thanks! I kind of expected this, but the fact that Nicolas was once referred as "lille prins" stilled me doubts
Old 01-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Serene Highness

My guesses is for a girl......

Frida (after Daniels paternal grandmother)

Sibylle (after Victorias paternal grandmother, her birthname was Sibylle and not Sibylla)

Lilian (after the late Princess)

Máret (a swedish sami name)

If a boy......

Anders (after Daniels paternal grandfather)

Edmund (after Victorias paternal grandfather)

Harald (after the King of Norway and Victorias godfather)

Niillas (a swedish sami name)

Though i expect that V and D will surprise us all again. I hope the boy or girl will be made Duke / Duchess of Västerbotten to honour the former "Haga couple", the parents of the King who was Duke and Duchess of Västerbotten.

I think this child will also have 5 godparents and i guess that they will be......

H.R.H The Crown Prince of Denmark

H.R.H The Crown Princess of Norway

H.R.H Princess Madeleine of Sweden

Mr Andreas Westling (cousin to Daniel)

Ms Heléne Silfverschiöld (cousin to Victoria)
Old 01-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Victoria's paternal grandfather was named Gustaf Adolf, not Edmund.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Wasn't he named Edmund within his family?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prin...3%A4sterbotten
Old 01-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
His name was Gustaf Adolf Oscar Fredrik Arthur Edmund.

His family always said Edmund to him and still does when they talk about him. They never said Gustaf Adolf.

That's why Carl Philips name is Carl Philip Edmund Bertil for example.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Edmund seems a likely option. Like Estelle, its a family name, but a bit more obscure at not a traditional Swedish royal name like Gustaf.

I am starting to like Oscar. It was the name of both CG's grandfather and great-grandfather (who served as his godfather) before they became king. Might be too traditional for them but would love to see it. What ever name they choose I am 99% sure will be paired with the name of the two grandfathers (like Estelle) and likely the name of a godfather.

Oscar Gustaf Olle (godfather)

a girl I really do hope for Lilian since Maddie didn't use. I'd also prefer her to use it over Sofia and CP if they have a girl,

Lilian Sibylla Frida (godmother)- for 2 great-grandmothers perhaps

As Vic is godmother to so many kids, I don't see her repeating a country. I think we will see 3 royal godparents and 2 commoner. Maddie for sure.

top picks for royal:
Maddie for sure as she wasn't for Estelle and Vic is for Leo
Mathilde or Philippe- Vic is for their youngest
Gui- Victoria is said to be close
Pavlos or his wife- family and Vic is godmother to a son of theirs

non royal:
either Dan's brother in law or a male friend (IMO he will get 1 godparent)
one of the Sommerlath cousins or Gustaf Magnuson
possibly a female friend of Vic's instead of a cousin
Old 01-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Serene Highness

Madeleine did use Lilian but as Leonor's second name.

If they use the name of the grandfathers for a boy i think It's more likely that they use Carl and Gunnar. Many swedes spoken name is Carl Gunnar although it is commonly men in the elder generation. The problem with Olle is that it is usually what we call people whos name is Olov or Olof. Daniels father seems to be named Olle (Gunnar) and that is very unusual.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

My point with Madeleine was she didn't use it as a FIRST name. Having 2 first cousins with the same first name, no. Maddie using it as a middle name opens the doors for it as a first name for either Vic or CP to use.

Daniels father's name is Olle. That is his given name and what he goes by. I see no reason to believe they wouldn't use it. As seen with Estelle, they certainly don't care how old fashioned a name sounds. Nor does it usually being a nickname preclude it being a middle name.

Carl is the generic name for the royals. It is as much linked with her brother as dad. Gustaf would be the direct honor to her father
Old 01-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Victor Magnuson and Frida Bergström have a son called Edmund, born in December 2012.

Of course Victoria and Daniel could name their daughter as Lilian, although Madeleine used it as the second name for Leonore. Princess Margaretha was named Margaretha Désirée Victoria, and then was born another princess - which was named Désirée Elisabeth Sibylla.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
My guesses is for a girl......
Frida (after Daniels paternal grandmother)
Sibylle (after Victorias paternal grandmother, her birthname was Sibylle and not Sibylla)
Lilian (after the late Princess)
Frida would be interesting, but from your list I would give preference to Sibylle and Máret. I have no personal choice as I am so convinced it will be a boy. We'll see.

Quote:
If a boy......
Anders (after Daniels paternal grandfather)
Edmund (after Victorias paternal grandfather)
Harald (after the King of Norway and Victorias godfather)

Though i expect that V and D will surprise us all again. I hope the boy or girl will be made Duke / Duchess of Västerbotten to honour the former "Haga couple", the parents of the King who was Duke and Duchess of Västerbotten.
I like most of your choices for a boy (except one). Anders and Niillas are interesting, but Edmund remains my favorite and personal choice. We'll see.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

If a boy......

I rather like the idea of giving Victoria and Daniel's baby a Sami name - ever since I was younger, I've been interested in the Samis. Máret is beautiful and is also a form of Margareta (as I wanted to learn more about Máret I did a Google search on it) which has been used in the SRF.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know, something about giving the baby a Sami name doesn't sit that right with me. It seems more for show, then any real connection to the people. Like Mary and Fred giving the twins Greelandic names, even though neither of their older kids had any traditional names. For me it would be like William and Kate naming their kid some ancient Celtic name, or deciding to honor the commonwealth with an African or native American name.

When it comes to royal names, I guess I am a fan of them honoring tradition. And if not, then honoring their family and loved ones, like Estelle did. Now if there is a Sami name that the y have some special connection to or love for, great, but to choose a sami name just for the sake of choosing one, I don't like.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Sex, names, godparents and Duchy of Victoria's and Daniel's second child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I don't know, something about giving the baby a Sami name doesn't sit that right with me. It seems more for show, then any real connection to the people. Like Mary and Fred giving the twins Greelandic names, even though neither of their older kids had any traditional names. For me it would be like William and Kate naming their kid some ancient Celtic name, or deciding to honor the commonwealth with an African or native American name.

When it comes to royal names, I guess I am a fan of them honoring tradition. And if not, then honoring their family and loved ones, like Estelle did. Now if there is a Sami name that the y have some special connection to or love for, great, but to choose a sami name just for the sake of choosing one, I don't like.

As mentioned in my previous post, Máret is a Sami variation of Margareta, which could honour three relatives: Princess Margaret of Connaught, Princess Margaretha of Sweden and King Carl Gustaf's sister Princess Margaretha (though I don't know how close the CP family are to Princess Margaretha). Therefore it could be argued (not that I think you were arguing by the way, I just couldn't find a more appropriate phrase) that Máret is honouring family - and the Sami people at the same time - which I think is nice.

I understand and respect your point of view however.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

I guess we all have different opinions about royal family giving their children names to honouring minority population. To be honest i didn't thougt about it at all until Frederik and Mary gave their twins greenlandic names. I liked that idea.
If Victoria and Daniel will give their 2:nd child a sami name i see it as a nice way to honour the largest minority in Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Thinking about Estelle, i have a strong feeling that they may use Folke as one of the names this time if it is a boy, maybe not as first name but as one of the others. That would honour both the most famous member of the Bernadotte family ever apart from the monarch's, Estelle's husband Folke Bernadotte as well as our current King Carl XVI Gustaf Folke Hubertus.

Among the godparents i really don't think Victoria will skip Frederik and Mette-Marit just because she has already used Mary and Haakon. They are all very close personal friends to her and Daniel and i simply can't imagine they not having priority over other royals they have less contact with.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Off topic, but I dont think Frederik and Mary giving the twins Greenlandic names was for show. Frederik especially has a really strong connection with Greenland, and this was well received by the people of Greenland.
So much that during their 2014 visit, the Greenlandic names, Minik and Ivalo, were used for Vincent and Josephine. Frederik mentioned that this was not unusual as the twins are use to them and there "was a reason they received the names".
with Christian and Isabella, I think they focused on honoring the grandparents
I thought it was a beautiful gesture
for Frederik there is a special connection with the people of Greenland
and I think a Minik and Ivalo foundation was established

In Victoria and Daniel's case, I think I will be surprised. : D
Old 01-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Aristocracy

I think a girl, born on 14th February.

Princess Lovisa Madeleine Anna Caroline, Duchess of Dalsland

Godparents: Madeleine, Chris, Haakon, Caroline Kreuger, a friend/cousin of Daniel.

If a boy:

Prince Folke Olle Edmund Haakon
Old 01-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

For a Prince: Magnus, Johan
For a Princess: Richeza, Dorothea

Closed Thread