The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What will it be?
Boy 48 50.00%
Girl 40 41.67%
Twins: Boy & Girl 4 4.17%
Twins: Two Boys 3 3.13%
Twins: Two Girls 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Family members she hasn't used:
Simone Sommerlath: she is Vivian's godmother
Thomas and Susanne Sommerlath: godmother to Giulia
Baron and Baroness Dinklage: godmother to Madeleine
Patrick and Camilla Sommerlath- godmother to Leopold
Gustaf and Vicky Magnuson- godmother to Desiree
Kristina-Louise Silverchild and her husband- godmother to Ian de Geer
Thomas and Susanne have divorced a long time ago, and Patrick and Camilla Lundén of course too. Thomas came to Victoria's and Daniel's wedding with Bettina Aussems, and Patrick has been with Maline for a long time already, the twins were born in 2008.
Because Giulia and Leopold were bridal children at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding, Susanne and Camilla were invited to the wedding. They weren't at Madeleine's and Carl Philip's weddings.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I honestly don't care to follow the Sommerlath cousins to know their current marital status. More likely that Vic could choose her cousin (Thomas/Patrick) over a wife anyways, even if they were still married.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

As for Oscar's godparents, I'm thinking something along the lines of:

– Princess Madeleine of Sweden
– Hedvig Blom
– Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark (at first it was more of a hope of mine than an actual guess but then Mary took a picture of Frederik with Victoria and little Oscar after she had herself had just asked Daniel to take a picture of her with her goddaughter, Estelle, and that, combined with Victoria having said multiple times that Haakon and Frederik are like older brothers to her, makes me think that Frederik isn't a terrible guess)
–*Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (because Victoria is godmother to Katharina and because of the family ties to the Saxe-Coburg and Gothas – although I have wondered whether Hubertus could be a godfather candidate to little Alexander... which makes me wonder whether they coordinate godparents with CP and Sofia?)
–*A Sommerlath (presumably Patrick) or a Magnuson (it'd be lovely with Oscar since he and the little Oscar share name but since Victoria is godmother to Gustaf's daughter, they might want to choose him instead)

Jokers: Queen Mathilde of the Belgians (because Victoria is godmother to Eléonore – I also love that if they choose Mathilde she will be godmother to the "spares" in both Denmark and Sweden ), Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway (mainly if they choose Frederik to, you know, align the godparent score) and friends (it just struck me that they might just go down a different route this time and choose non-royal friends – boring for a royal watcher but completely understandable).

Old 05-19-2016, 07:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Philippe has a work event on 27th May, so it seems that he isn't a godparent.
https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/barco
Old 05-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Nobility

I think Madeleine and Frederick are shoo-ins for godparents. I'm thinking Mette-Marit will be named a godparent as well, she's been very chummy with Victoria in the past couple years.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Is there a chance that the godparents will be announced the day before the christening? Madeleine is a given but I wouldn't blindly bet on Frederick. I guess Mette-Marit is really a good possibility; I thought she was going to be a godmother the moment she joined Victoria on an engagement in August. Victoria was pregnant, and evne though she hadn't officially announced the pregnancy, it was very much overt that she was expecting. Then, Mette-Marit and she had a combined event and in my mind Victoria had revealed her pregnancy to her. lol. Myabe I'm seeing things, but that's what the vibe has been since last summer.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

What are your opinions about Guillaume or Stephanie of Luxemburg or the Spanish royal couple as godparents?

Princess Madeleine is for me definitely godmother, also I guess Queen Mathilde of the Belgians.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

For me Frederik of Denmark, Mette Marit of Norway and Madeleine of Sweden.

According to Billed Bladet (so not yet official) Frederik and Mary will be present in Stockholm.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Serene Highness

I don't think Frederik's presence necessarily means he is going to be a godfather. F+M attended the christening of Mette Marits + Haakons 2nd child without having been chosen as godparents. The Scandinavian royals are close, and this will be a big royal event, so someone from the DRF and NRF is going to be there.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

As much as I think Frederik will be godfather, I agree that their attendance doesn't necessarily mean that he will be godfather. To put things into perspective, Victoria also attended Isabella's christening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Is there a chance that the godparents will be announced the day before the christening? Madeleine is a given but I wouldn't blindly bet on Frederick. I guess Mette-Marit is really a good possibility; I thought she was going to be a godmother the moment she joined Victoria on an engagement in August. Victoria was pregnant, and evne though she hadn't officially announced the pregnancy, it was very much overt that she was expecting. Then, Mette-Marit and she had a combined event and in my mind Victoria had revealed her pregnancy to her. lol. Myabe I'm seeing things, but that's what the vibe has been since last summer.
If they follow the same pattern as with Estelle, it will be revealed on the day of the christening.

While I agree that MM is as valid a suggestion as Frederik (and I also somehow doubt they would choose one without the other), I think you're reading too much into it. Victoria has said that Haakon and Frederik are like older brothers to her but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't choose Frederik because they've already chosen Mary. Same goes for Haakon and MM, I don't doubt that MM and Victoria are good friends and I could buy into Victoria telling MM about her pregnancy quite early on but I don't necessarily think that makes it a given that she'll be chosen as a godparent because they've already used Haakon.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope they don't choose Frederik for godfather purely because his wife is already godmother to the first child. There are plenty of other royals to choose from without using spouses of people you've chosen already. That's just my feeling on it. Of course if Frederik is chosen i'll still be happy they've chosen someone they are close to.

I would like to see Mathilde chosen and perhaps Felipe. I can't see any of the Luxembourg royals being chosen but I can't really explain why. I can't see any British godparent choices either due to the heir not being hugely close to Victoria. Sophie and Edward aren't "senior enough" royals to be chosen I don't think.

I am voting for Madeleine and Mathilde to be the Royal godparent choices.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I hope they don't choose Frederik for godfather purely because his wife is already godmother to the first child. There are plenty of other royals to choose from without using spouses of people you've chosen already. That's just my feeling on it. Of course if Frederik is chosen i'll still be happy they've chosen someone they are close to.

I would like to see Mathilde chosen and perhaps Felipe. I can't see any of the Luxembourg royals being chosen but I can't really explain why. I can't see any British godparent choices either due to the heir not being hugely close to Victoria. Sophie and Edward aren't "senior enough" royals to be chosen I don't think.

I am voting for Madeleine and Mathilde to be the Royal godparent choices.

I think Victoria and Daniel will pick HGD Guillaume as one of the godparents.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

My hope is they stay away from spouses of Estelle's godparents, those couples have already been honored.

My guesses:

2 godparents will be family: one from each side
-Madeleine is a sure bet
-Hedvig or if they decide too young, Daniel's brother in law (or a close friend of Daniel's if not family, IMO he will get a godparent in)

2 foreign royals: some combination of
-Guillaume of Luxembourg
-Mathilde of Belgium
-Hubertus of Sax-Coburg and Gotha
-Pavlos or Marie Chantal
(she has served as godparent to one of their children)

And a fifth godparent is likely. Either a close friend of the couple or one of Victoria's cousins get my vote for fifth.

Since Estelle had 3 godfathers/2 godmothers, could see the opposite here.

I could see:

Madeleine
Hedvig
Mathilde
Guillaume
Gustaf Magnuson
Old 05-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
As much as I think Frederik will be godfather, I agree that their attendance doesn't necessarily mean that he will be godfather. To put things into perspective, Victoria also attended Isabella's christening.

If they follow the same pattern as with Estelle, it will be revealed on the day of the christening.

While I agree that MM is as valid a suggestion as Frederik (and I also somehow doubt they would choose one without the other), I think you're reading too much into it. Victoria has said that Haakon and Frederik are like older brothers to her but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't choose Frederik because they've already chosen Mary. Same goes for Haakon and MM, I don't doubt that MM and Victoria are good friends and I could buy into Victoria telling MM about her pregnancy quite early on but I don't necessarily think that makes it a given that she'll be chosen as a godparent because they've already used Haakon.

Well, I think I'm allowed to dream, am I? I would love MM to be a godmother, but I can't help thinking that maybe Oscar won't have too many royals as godparents. If it were for me, I would choose Frederick MM and Mathilde all together
Old 05-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Nobility

Of course I can't be absolutely sure, but the reason why I feel that Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark is a shoo in is because I think that Oscar is going to have at least one god-parent who is a current or future monarch. Haakon and Willem-Alexander are not in the running because they are Estelle's godparents. Victoria, who was not expected to be the heir, at least not by her parents who presumably made the choice, had two current/future monarchs as godparents, Harald of Norway and then Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands. ETA: Actually I take back my comment that Victoria's parents did not expect her to be heir since it probably occurred to them that she would be the heir if they did not have a male child at all, or had one after the new succession law came into effect.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Guillaume is the future Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Mathilde is the current queen of Belgium. There are other routes certainly to go without naming Fred. They already have the future queen of Denmark for Estelle, even if consort.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Nobility

I am not saying that Fred is the only choice, of course there's the Luxembourg, Belgian, Dutch and Spanish heirs/monarchs, but my money is still on Fred being one of the godparents.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Nobility

SvenskDam is placing its bets on Oscar's godparents:

De blir faddrar till prins Oscar – bästa tipsen | Svensk Damtidning

Some are the picks are not too different from some have said.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

The godparents are:
HRH Crown prince Frederik
HRH Crown princess Mette-Marit
HRH Princess Madeleine
Mr Oscar Magnuson (Victoria's cousin)
Mr Hans Åström (Daniel's cousin)
Faddrar till Prins Oscar - Sveriges Kungahus

Hans Åström is a famous former swedish bandy player. Three gold medals at World Championships, two national championships, Man of the Year in the Swedish bandy 1998, Swedish top scorer in 1997 and top scorer in World Championships 1999. Bollnäs fans called Åström His Majesty.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quite expected though Hans Åström is a bit of a surprise. I knew he and Daniel are both cousins and good friends as well but i didn't expected him. But great choice. Hans Majestät will certainly learn Oscar how to play bandy

Victoria, Frederik and Haakon is as close as if they were real siblings since childhood so there was no way on earth that she would leave out Frederik for a southern european royal she is not that close to.

Mette-Marit was expected for the same reason. To chooce Frederik, Mary, Haakon but not Mette-Marit would have been very silly.

Closed Thread