Sex, names, godparents and Duchy of Victoria's and Daniel's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What will it be?

• Boy

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • Girl

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Twins: Boy & Girl

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Twins: Two Boys

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Twins: Two Girls

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they don't choose Frederik for godfather purely because his wife is already godmother to the first child. There are plenty of other royals to choose from without using spouses of people you've chosen already. That's just my feeling on it. Of course if Frederik is chosen i'll still be happy they've chosen someone they are close to.

I would like to see Mathilde chosen and perhaps Felipe. I can't see any of the Luxembourg royals being chosen but I can't really explain why. I can't see any British godparent choices either due to the heir not being hugely close to Victoria. Sophie and Edward aren't "senior enough" royals to be chosen I don't think.

I am voting for Madeleine and Mathilde to be the Royal godparent choices.

I hope they don't choose Frederik for godfather purely because his wife is already godmother to the first child. There are plenty of other royals to choose from without using spouses of people you've chosen already. That's just my feeling on it. Of course if Frederik is chosen i'll still be happy they've chosen someone they are close to.

I would like to see Mathilde chosen and perhaps Felipe. I can't see any of the Luxembourg royals being chosen but I can't really explain why. I can't see any British godparent choices either due to the heir not being hugely close to Victoria. Sophie and Edward aren't "senior enough" royals to be chosen I don't think.

I am voting for Madeleine and Mathilde to be the Royal godparent choices.

I think Victoria and Daniel will pick HGD Guillaume as one of the godparents.

My hope is they stay away from spouses of Estelle's godparents, those couples have already been honored.

My guesses:

2 godparents will be family: one from each side
-Madeleine is a sure bet
-Hedvig or if they decide too young, Daniel's brother in law (or a close friend of Daniel's if not family, IMO he will get a godparent in)

2 foreign royals: some combination of
-Guillaume of Luxembourg
-Mathilde of Belgium
-Hubertus of Sax-Coburg and Gotha
-Pavlos or Marie Chantal
(she has served as godparent to one of their children)

And a fifth godparent is likely. Either a close friend of the couple or one of Victoria's cousins get my vote for fifth.

Since Estelle had 3 godfathers/2 godmothers, could see the opposite here.

I could see:

Madeleine
Hedvig
Mathilde
Guillaume
Gustaf Magnuson

As much as I think Frederik will be godfather, I agree that their attendance doesn't necessarily mean that he will be godfather. To put things into perspective, Victoria also attended Isabella's christening.

If they follow the same pattern as with Estelle, it will be revealed on the day of the christening.

While I agree that MM is as valid a suggestion as Frederik (and I also somehow doubt they would choose one without the other), I think you're reading too much into it. Victoria has said that Haakon and Frederik are like older brothers to her but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't choose Frederik because they've already chosen Mary. Same goes for Haakon and MM, I don't doubt that MM and Victoria are good friends and I could buy into Victoria telling MM about her pregnancy quite early on but I don't necessarily think that makes it a given that she'll be chosen as a godparent because they've already used Haakon.

Well, I think I'm allowed to dream, am I?:lol: I would love MM to be a godmother, but I can't help thinking that maybe Oscar won't have too many royals as godparents. If it were for me, I would choose Frederick MM and Mathilde all together:flowers:

Of course I can't be absolutely sure, but the reason why I feel that Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark is a shoo in is because I think that Oscar is going to have at least one god-parent who is a current or future monarch. Haakon and Willem-Alexander are not in the running because they are Estelle's godparents. Victoria, who was not expected to be the heir, at least not by her parents who presumably made the choice, had two current/future monarchs as godparents, Harald of Norway and then Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands. ETA: Actually I take back my comment that Victoria's parents did not expect her to be heir since it probably occurred to them that she would be the heir if they did not have a male child at all, or had one after the new succession law came into effect.

Last edited:
:previous: Guillaume is the future Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Mathilde is the current queen of Belgium. There are other routes certainly to go without naming Fred. They already have the future queen of Denmark for Estelle, even if consort.

:previous: I am not saying that Fred is the only choice, of course there's the Luxembourg, Belgian, Dutch and Spanish heirs/monarchs, but my money is still on Fred being one of the godparents.

The godparents are:
HRH Crown prince Frederik
HRH Crown princess Mette-Marit
HRH Princess Madeleine
Mr Oscar Magnuson (Victoria's cousin)
Mr Hans Åström (Daniel's cousin)
Faddrar till Prins Oscar - Sveriges Kungahus

Hans Åström is a famous former swedish bandy player. Three gold medals at World Championships, two national championships, Man of the Year in the Swedish bandy 1998, Swedish top scorer in 1997 and top scorer in World Championships 1999. Bollnäs fans called Åström His Majesty.

Last edited:
Quite expected though Hans Åström is a bit of a surprise. I knew he and Daniel are both cousins and good friends as well but i didn't expected him. But great choice. Hans Majestät will certainly learn Oscar how to play bandy ;)

Victoria, Frederik and Haakon is as close as if they were real siblings since childhood so there was no way on earth that she would leave out Frederik for a southern european royal she is not that close to.

Mette-Marit was expected for the same reason. To chooce Frederik, Mary, Haakon but not Mette-Marit would have been very silly.

I think all the chosen godparents were to be expected. I have to say that I hadn't tought of Oscar Magnuson... how on earth I didn't associate the name Oscar with the son of Princess Christina? :D I even didn't know who Hans Astrom was, so he is the only real surprising name...

Agree. Not surprised about the choices of godparents, but I'm concerned about the press is going to play this. Expressen and recently have written that Sofia was in the running as godmother; Bunte even had a poll who was going to be picked, Madeleine or Sofia. I don't know why they went this way - when it comes to family members as godparents blood relatives are usually picked. This is supposed to be a lovely day but to sell papers I'm afraid the press will go for "Madeleine vs. Sofia, round whatever" or "Sofia being snubbed".

Nothing surprising about the godparents. Madeleine was a given and I will dare say Frederik was too considering his and Victoria's (and Haakon's) brother/sister-like friendship. Choosing Frederik and not Mette-Marit would be slightly unfair so she was a given, too. Oscar Magnuson was IMO the most likely cousin to be chosen as he shares name with little Oscar. Hans Åström was the only one I hadn't pondered about at some point but it makes sense with one of Victoria's cousins and one of Daniel's cousins. I'm not even surprised that the royal godparents don't extend beyond Scandinavia – just reaffirms my point about what a tight knit group they are.

Agree. Not surprised about the choices of godparents, but I'm concerned about the press is going to play this. Expressen and recently have written that Sofia was in the running as godmother; Bunte even had a poll who was going to be picked, Madeleine or Sofia. I don't know why they went this way - when it comes to family members as godparents blood relatives are usually picked. This is supposed to be a lovely day but to sell papers I'm afraid the press will go for "Madeleine vs. Sofia, round whatever" or "Sofia being snubbed".

Isn't Carl-Philip's Estelle godfather so, it makes sense that Madeleine is Oscar's. Two kids, Two siblings as godparents.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Isn't Carl-Philip's Estelle godfather so, it makes sense that Madeleine is Oscar's. Two kids, Two siblings as godparents.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I agree, there is nothing surprising in the choice of Madeleine. I would have been rather surprised if she had been passed over.

Madeleine named Victoria godmother to Leonor (CP is to Nicolas). Since she used her brother for Estelle, Madeleine was a given here. I noticed no reporters were guessing Chris as a godparent. Why Sofia was such a certain for reporters but not Chris is beyond me? Honestly if she was going to use a sibling in law, Chris was more likely. If she wasn't going to use her sister, her sister's husband was more likely, since CP was used.

Little sad we didn't see any different royal houses considering her multiple godchildren, but no surprise at all.

I didn't know Dan had a cousin to guess him. But I did think Dan would get a godparent in. I thought his brother in law or friend (think I did say cousin if he had one).

Guess Oscar didn't need a 4th name. Like Estelle, one of his names does honor a godparent. Simply does double duty.

There is nothing strange with Victoria choosing her sister over her sister in law. It's very normal in a family where everyone are close to each other.

If Victoria and Daniel have a 3:rd child, Sofia and Chris will likely be asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom