The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What will it be?
Boy 48 50.00%
Girl 40 41.67%
Twins: Boy & Girl 4 4.17%
Twins: Two Boys 3 3.13%
Twins: Two Girls 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Nobility

Oscar Carl Olof - Duke of Skane

Old 03-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Serene Highness

H.R.H Prince Oscar Carl Olof, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Skåne
(Gustaf VI Adolfs duchy)

Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Nobility

What a nice name! Oscar is from a previous monarch, Carl for royal grandpa, Olof is from Dad. Having his great-grandfather's duchy is an honor.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
What a nice name! Oscar is from a previous monarch, Carl for royal grandpa, Olof is from Dad. Having his great-grandfather's duchy is an honor.
True!
BYe Bine
Old 03-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I believe that King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden was Duke of Skåne prior to his accession to the throne.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

Conragulations, right guess An Ard Ri
Old 03-03-2016, 07:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

What a great, strong name Oscar Carl Olof is! Am a bit disappointed that they didn't give him the same amount of names as Estelle though. Consistency, Victoria and Daniel. Consistency

As for his godparents, I suspect they might be:

Queen Mathilde of Belgium
Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha or Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Hedvig Blom
Oscar Magnuson

Old 03-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I believe that King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden was Duke of Skåne prior to his accession to the throne.
Yes he was :) He was actually Duke of Skåne for lifetime (like Carl XVI Gustaf is still Duke of Jämtland) but ofcourse known as Gustaf VI Adolf from 1950 :)
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Serene Highness

Sorry not a fan of Oscar nor of Estelle. Having said that these two children have been born into a family with a great deal of love. That's all the beauty they will need.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Yes he was :) He was actually Duke of Skåne for lifetime (like Carl XVI Gustaf is still Duke of Jämtland) but ofcourse known as Gustaf VI Adolf from 1950 :)
Was that changed at some point? Oscar I. was Duke of Södermanland but the Title was also given to his grandson oscar CArl who was born in 1852 when Oscar I. was still alive.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Was that changed at some point? Oscar I. was Duke of Södermanland but the Title was also given to his grandson oscar CArl who was born in 1852 when Oscar I. was still alive.
Yes i have read that too. It is very strange and seems to have been the only time it happened. It has been stated many times that Carl XVI Gustaf is still Duke of Jämtland and that Gustaf VI Adolf was Duke of Skåne til his death.

As the ducal title is just an honorary title in Sweden they may have changed the "family traditions" after the reign of Oscar I to avoid it will happen again.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It was not the first time there were a grandfather and an (adopted) grandson who "inherited" the title duke of Södermanland. King Carl XIII was duke of Södermanland until 1809 and Oscar (I) became duke of Södermanland in 1810. Maybe there had been some kind of plan to use the title duke of Södermanland as a title for a future king, but after the death of prince Carl Oscar there were no longer any interest.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
What a great, strong name Oscar Carl Olof is! Am a bit disappointed that they didn't give him the same amount of names as Estelle though. Consistency, Victoria and Daniel. Consistency

As for his godparents, I suspect they might be:

Queen Mathilde of Belgium
Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha or Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Hedvig Blom
Oscar Magnuson
I am also betting on Queen Mathilde as one of the godparents, but I wonder if the fact that she is Catholic might be an impediment to serve as a godmother. I wouldn't think so as Leonore and Nicolas, who were also baptized in the Church of Sweden, had Catholic godparents. I would appreciate though if any Church of Sweden member could comment on that.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am also betting on Queen Mathilde as one of the godparents, but I wonder if the fact that she is Catholic might be an impediment to serve as a godmother. I wouldn't think so as Leonore and Nicolas, who were also baptized in the Church of Sweden, had Catholic godparents. I would appreciate though if any Church of Sweden member could comment on that.
Queen Mathilde is already godmother to two Protestant princesses Princess Alexia of the Netherlands and Princess Isabella of Denmark so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The only demand the Church of Sweden have on a person to be allowed as a godparent is that he/she is baptized in clean water and in the name of Father, Son and the Holy Ghost, be it Catholic, Coptic or any other Christian faith that baptizes its members in the name of the Trinity.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Sorry not a fan of Oscar nor of Estelle.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't care for the names (male or female) at all.
Still, it's up to the parents, and I'm sure they are overjoyed.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

But i wonder how close Mathilde really is to Victoria and Daniel. I still think they will choose close personal friends like any of Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Märtha-Louise or Prince Nicholaos (of Greece and Denmark)
Old 03-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But i wonder how close Mathilde really is to Victoria and Daniel. I still think they will choose close personal friends like any of Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Märtha-Louise or Prince Nicholaos (of Greece and Denmark)
Svensk Damtidning told, that Victoria and Daniel were on a private visit at Belgium meeting Philippe and Mathilde in August 2014. Victoria is the godmother of princess Eléonore, and according to the swedish press Victoria keeps good contact with all her godchildren.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Mathilde was present in the congregation when Estelle was baptized even though neither she nor Philippe were godparents. So I suppose she must be friends with Victoria and Daniel.

I agree that Victoria is probably closer to the Scandinavian royals, but she already chose Mary and Haakon as Estelle's godparents.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Mathilde was present in the congregation when Estelle was baptized even though neither she nor Philippe were godparents. So I suppose she must be friends with Victoria and Daniel.

I agree that Victoria is probably closer to the Scandinavian royals, but she already chose Mary and Haakon as Estelle's godparents.
Yes she is probably friends with most of the european royals in her generation. It is also possible that junior royals like Prince Joachim or Princess Märtha-Louise might be asked like Queen Margrethe is now godmother to Carl Philip and her sister Benedikte is godmother to Madeleine.

Closed Thread