The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It doesn't seem that it is something that can be overcome by therapy,
but she has managed perfectly well with the disability thus far, so...

Here some info:

Quote:
Prosopagnosia (sometimes known as face blindness) is a disorder of face perception where the ability to recognize faces is impaired, while the ability to recognize other objects may be relatively intact. The term usually refers to a condition following acute brain damage, but recent evidence suggests that a congenital form of the disorder may exist. The specific brain area usually associated with prosopagnosia is the fusiform gyrus.
Few successful therapies have so far been developed for affected people, although individuals often learn to use 'piecemeal' or 'feature by feature' recognition strategies. This may involve secondary clues such as clothing, hair color, body shape, and voice. Because the face seems to function as an important identifying feature in memory, it can also be difficult for people with this condition to keep track of information about people, and socialize normally with others.
Some also use the term prosophenosia, which refers to the inability to recognize faces following extensive damage of both occipital and temporal lobes.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
That isn't very handy for a royal, but luckily she can use ladies in waiting who help her. Nice that the Crownprincess is open about her disabilities (also about dyslexia in the past).
I think that if you're open about things like this, as Victoria has been, it is something which will serve her much better in the long term. Much better to tell things before they get to the point of being headlines in the newspapers (such as the anorexia became), then you get a modicum of control of the situation.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
I think that if you're open about things like this, as Victoria has been, it is something which will serve her much better in the long term. Much better to tell things before they get to the point of being headlines in the newspapers (such as the anorexia became), then you get a modicum of control of the situation.
Well, but if it gets too much, ppl will wonder, if she is qualified at all. She got the job by birth and has though to measure with diplomats...foreign ministers etc. , who got (partly ) the job by qualification.
And IMO it gets too much...and honestly I see no reason to believe, that she is suffering from serious agnosia. If you ask me, she saw the "plus points", she got through the confessions around her anorexia and "had tested blood"

I wish she would simply and just marry...instead of giving the 100th interview on her dyslexia...and other things (I am not interested in fashion, only if it´s important for Sweden...I can´t read, apart from everything on climate changes...I´ve no time for watching TV, but twice as much vacation as an average Swede...I sooo love children, but don´t get any...I sooo love animals, esp as roast beef and chicken burger) Did I ever tell, that I am sooo admiring Queen Elizabeth II for not giving interviews and always going for a professional approach...oh, and of course for catching a prince consort soon in life
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
Well, but if it gets too much, ppl will wonder, if she is qualified at all. She got the job by birth and has though to measure with diplomats...foreign ministers etc. , who got (partly ) the job by qualification.
And IMO it gets too much...and honestly I see no reason to believe, that she is suffering from serious agnosia. If you ask me, she saw the "plus points", she got through the confessions around her anorexia and "had tested blood"

I wish she would simply and just marry...instead of giving the 100th interview on her dyslexia...and other things (I am not interested in fashion, only if it´s important for Sweden...I can´t read, apart from everything on climate changes...I´ve no time for watching TV, but twice as much vacation as an average Swede...I sooo love children, but don´t get any...I sooo love animals, esp as roast beef and chicken burger) Did I ever tell, that I am sooo admiring Queen Elizabeth II for not giving interviews and always going for a professional approach...oh, and of course for catching a prince consort soon in life
I think that it is almost impossible not to give interviews these days, Queen Elizabeth II is another generation of course buit for the younger royals... I think it can add something when it is done with care, not to frequently and mainly focussed on their role and social causes.

In Sweden that somehow seems different, I have the impression that Victoria does a lot of interviews (a few a year), which makes them less special I suppose, so the added value erodes. And I don't know if they talk about ehr causes in these interviews but I believe that the Dyslexia was mentioned again and again, which gets a bit tiresome indeed.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it's great that she spoke about it.It shows how even though she is a princess,she wants to keep in touch with the people who have the same problems.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I think it's great that she spoke about.It shows how even though she is a princess,she wants to keep in touch with the people with the same problems.
I didn't know about this. It gives me even more respect for Victoria.

She's willing to be honest about her life and her problems. That takes some courage.

Tags
dyslexia