The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Victoria's Diplomat Studies at the Foreign Ministry: September 2006-May 2007

A press release from the Royal Court tells us that Crown Princess Victoria will take part in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' 'Diplomat Programme' starting this September and ending in May 2007.

This is a highly sought after and exclusive programme to which only 20 people per time are accepted too, and which leads the participants directly into the Swedish diplomatic service afterwards. But I guess for Victoria it will merely be a part of her education, as the press release says.

I do wonder however, if they've accepted her exclusively, "on the side", or if she had to go through all the tests that the normal applicants have too. I guess not, since she won't become a working diplomat in the future.

I also wonder when they're gonna think that she's studied enough. Okay, learning new things and developing one's knowledge of the world is good - but next year she will turn 30. I wouldn't mind to see her turning into a full-time working royal, supporting her ever so hardworking parents a bit more...

http://www.royalcourt.se/ovrigt/pres...800015585.html

Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
A press release from the Royal Court tells us that Crown Princess Victoria will take part in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' 'Diplomat Programme' starting this September and ending in May 2007.

This is a highly sought after and exclusive programme to which only 20 people per time are accepted too, and which leads the participants directly into the Swedish diplomatic service afterwards. But I guess for Victoria it will merely be a part of her education, as the press release says.

I do wonder however, if they've accepted her exclusively, "on the side", or if she had to go through all the tests that the normal applicants have too. I guess not, since she won't become a working diplomat in the future.

I also wonder when they're gonna think that she's studied enough. Okay, learning new things and developing one's knowledge of the world is good - but next year she will turn 30. I wouldn't mind to see her turning into a full-time working royal, supporting her ever so hardworking parents a bit more...

http://www.royalcourt.se/ovrigt/pres...800015585.html
Crown Prince Haakon did the same thing in Norway. I guess that it is an excellent way to get to know things from the inside, so to speak.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
I do wonder however, if they've accepted her exclusively, "on the side", or if she had to go through all the tests that the normal applicants have too. I guess not, since she won't become a working diplomat in the future
I just read an article about the Norwegian version of this program - UDs Aspirant kurs- (Read abou what you need to apply in Norwegian here and see an example of an exam here) and what it takes to get in and also read the swedish link provided by Grand Duchess, and however nice, friendly, polite, I very much doubt they would get in to theese programs the regular way. Having a (Masters) dregree is not enough, there are high language skills required, the knowledge of European and World politic must be at the top, the oral and written way you express youself has to be better than just good, and AFAIK Victoria has acknowleged beeing dyslexic and she is not a great orator either In my not so humbel oppinion. On her side is that she has lived abroad and do speak several languages and has perfect english

Victoria having no degree, and has not taken an exam since she was 18 (I think), has not had a regular job in international relations (but she is a pro in meet and greet) I think would never be considered trough regular means. Ofcourse she has alot of more practical know how, has travelled and taken lots of courses and has meetings with world leaders and what not. Same with Haakon who AFAIK only had a bachelors degree and military educaton when he completed this Course. Haakon btw only took the 2nd year of the 3 year course and was a obious "special case"

But however they got in, I think it is good for their future work and certainly better than whatever social studies she has had this last year which noone seems to know what is about, atleast this is something formal, with a good reputation and certainly educational for her future job as Swedens foremost Diplomat:) Also important is that she will also get to meet and bond with very educated people, maybe from other mileus than the predominantly rich friends from Stockholm she has now where most of them seem to work in fashion and entertainment.

And BTW the Aspirant course was the last thing Haakon did before he got married:p but I think if she takes this course like all the others, and do all they do, I dont think we will se her much in public engagements this next year. But she is still not 30, her fellow male heirs around Europe also took their time to finnish their education, many of them are 6-7 years older than her and not all of them can claime 7 year of full time royal work....
Old 07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I do agree with your assessement Larzen, there's now way she would be excepted to the Diplomat Programme on the means of her own education and knowledge, if her name was Victoria Svensson or something.

And as you say, it's a great merit and experience for their future work as heirs and one days as monarchs.

I do hope Crown Princess Victoria knows what she's getting herself into though, she can expect two hectic and hard terms, if she's going to follow the curriculum that all the "normal" participants undertake. It's one of the most prestigious things to have on your CV in Sweden, as the Diplomat Programme is highly sought after by the top students. But those who endure and cope it with grace are almost guaranteed a future in the Swedish Diplomatic Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
And BTW the Aspirant course was the last thing Haakon did before he got married
Oooh, that sounds promising! But if there would be a wedding next summer, Victoria would get very tight of time to prepare for it, since the programme ends in May.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this sounds like a good course for her to take to help with her role.
I guess it's safe to say there won't be a Swedish wedding next year. But she's still young (not even 30), so there's no rush.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
But however they got in, I think it is good for their future work and certainly better than whatever social studies she has had this last year which noone seems to know what is about, atleast this is something formal, with a good reputation and certainly educational for her future job as Swedens foremost Diplomat:) Also important is that she will also get to meet and bond with very educated people, maybe from other mileus than the predominantly rich friends from Stockholm she has now where most of them seem to work in fashion and entertainment.
As this course is something which is available in Sweden, it makes sense to let the future head of the state be a participant - after all, she will be the representative of Sweden in the world one day. She'll have to work closely together with the Swedish ambassadours around the world when she travels abroad and so it's a good thing she knows how they were trained themselves.

It's a way of thinking which she needs to know - how to approach international conflicts and to solve them, if possible. Future diplomats all over the world are trained to deal with these responsibilities and it's a good thing she'll get the same training. Plus I know from the similar course of our Foreign ministry that the trainers do all to make it possible for the trainees to form friendships and bond together with the other diplomats of their course and with those who are already serving: it'll help later when a crisis arises in dealing with it if you know whom to trust.

Thus, I think it is a really smart idea for them to train the future queen - as for her being admitted: these courses have an aim. It's to give the best education to the future diplomats, a training before the "training on the job" starts. Victoria already has the job - good that she gets the training as well. :)
Old 09-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Pictures by Scanpix/Expressen, Scanpix/Stockholms City, Sven Nackstrand/Scanpix/Aftonbladet

Today was Crown Princess Victoria's first day back in "school" as the Diplomat Programme at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs started!

Excited to be chosen as the cream of the crop and Sweden's next generation of diplomats, Victoria and the other participants lined up outside the ministry's palace to let the press take a few pictures.

930 people applied to the Diplomat Programme this year, 20 was accepted. The programme will mix theory and practicals until next summer, when all participants have to do an internship - where they end up is decided by the Ministry in a draw.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Courtier

Is it possible Crown Princess Victoria was accepted because of her status? Or was she chosen fairly?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
Is it possible Crown Princess Victoria was accepted because of her status? Or was she chosen fairly?
Becaue of her status... she, unlike the other students, did not have to do a test.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

From Getty

I wonder how she will fit in this bunch, I guess if you have worked probably your behind of, to get in this program, you might not look to friendly on those who gets in the back door.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Ok folks...some ppl say the only purpose of this diplomacy course is for Victoria to find an appropriate prince & hubby. Zero progress in the relationship to Daniel Westling (Well, maybe they are lovewise in higher spheres, but there seems to be no wedding on the way) speaks for this theory. It´s though not very likely, that it will be one of the boys there. But let´s play with the idea. Who would be in your opinion (look-wise!) "prince material"

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...pc99320sc7.jpg (pic by scanpix)

Better pic of the blond guy in the last row:
Old 09-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

A topic more suitable for a gossip magazine.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
A topic more suitable for a gossip magazine.
I love it, that so many things in life are predictable. This gives a feeling of safety. When writing the post on the boys in this course, I thought "How long will it take grevinnan to turn around the corner and to write one of her so typical posts on it?" You were faster, than I had thought. Thanks for giving a bit of safety
Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Ok folks...some ppl say the only purpose of this diplomacy course is for Victoria to find an appropriate prince & hubby. Zero progress in the relationship to Daniel Westling (Well, maybe they are lovewise in higher spheres, but there seems to be no wedding on the way) speaks for this theory. It´s though not very likely, that it will be one of the boys there. But let´s play with the idea. Who would be in your opinion (look-wise!) "prince material"

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...pc99320sc7.jpg (pic by scanpix)

Better pic of the blond guy in the last row:
Yeah a trained diplomat would be good for trips to foreign countries and surley more stylish :)
Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Seems as Vicky is quite busy with her trainee program.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
Seems as Vicky is quite busy with her trainee program.
Yes, abd thats bad for us :) But we will get a chance to see her on thursday and she will be at the opening of the parliament together with her family... always something!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
I love it, that so many things in life are predictable. This gives a feeling of safety. When writing the post on the boys in this course, I thought "How long will it take grevinnan to turn around the corner and to write one of her so typical posts on it?" You were faster, than I had thought. Thanks for giving a bit of safety
What about the guy on the right in the back, next to the red-haired woman.
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...pc99320sc7.jpg
He looks cute from what's visible. I think a budding diplomat would be a perfect consort for Victoria.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
What about the guy on the right in the back, next to the red-haired woman.
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...pc99320sc7.jpg
He looks cute from what's visible. I think a budding diplomat would be a perfect consort for Victoria.
umm srry, but which guy is it? hehehe, the one with black hair seems cute...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

Where the arrow points.

http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?i...upsshotqq7.jpg
Old 09-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Commoner

haha i knew it i though you were talkin about this guy,i was just makin sure lol just kiddin
tnx anyways

Tags
crown princess victoria, education