The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 12-30-2017, 08:58 PM
princess gertrude's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
A beautiful painting of Estelle, made by talented artist Gabriella Norum, based in Stockholm area. Acrylic paint on canvas.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdVUutTF...norumgabriella
The portrait is stunning. So lifelike and accurate. The artist is brilliantly talented.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 12-31-2017, 02:16 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 27,260
Swedish Gala Magazine's favourite photos of Estelle in 2017.
GALAs favoritbilder på prinsessan Estelle från året som gått
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 12-31-2017, 02:43 AM
M. Payton's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,627
Princess Estelle is a real stunning beauty even at this age, you can tell that she is going to be extremely gorgeous as she gets older. And already she is showing her self-confidence and strength of character.......
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 27,260
Svenska Dagbladet Svd uses Estelle's photo at their article
"Children who make house work become more successful"
There are only a few children who will jump out of joy if you ask them to help with the dishes or clean more than their own room. But now, researcher and author Julie Lythcott-Haims tells that children that make house work simply become more successful.
Barn som gör hemmasysslor blir mer framgångsrika _ SvD Perfect Guide
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 01-07-2018, 12:33 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 27,260
Estelle in 2017
https://78.media.tumblr.com/64e6072e...rje1o1_500.png
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 01-07-2018, 03:55 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,488
Thanks for sharing LadyFinn - I always like seeing yearly compilations as it makes me see how much little Estelle has grown! I can't believe she'll be six next month. Will she be starting school this year?
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:25 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 27,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Thanks for sharing LadyFinn - I always like seeing yearly compilations as it makes me see how much little Estelle has grown! I can't believe she'll be six next month. Will she be starting school this year?
Estelle will go to the preschool class (förskoleklass).
From the age of 6 children have the right to start in the preschool class. The preschool class is a school form in its own right with a large element of creative work and play. The preschool class is a voluntary school form, which the majority of six-year-olds in Sweden attend.
What is a preschool class

School attendance is compulsory for all children resident in Sweden. Children are required to attend school from the autumn term in the year they reach the age of 7, and the main rule is that compulsory school attendance ceases at the end of the spring term in the 9th year (10th year in the special school). In Sweden most children begin their first year at school in the autumn term when they reach the age of 7.
Compulsory school

Painting of Estelle in oil by Linn Danneman
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bds5JOUD...annemans.konst
Made of this official photo the court published on Estelle's first Christmas
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200....mber_2012_.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 9,074
Reminded of the school differences. Majority of children here start at 5, though kindergarten isn't mandatory (some kids do pre-school before). 6 is mandatory, by seven you would be in your second year of mandatory school (grade 2).

I still remember the photos of Estelle on her first days of nursery school. She definitely had no fear
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 27,260
Svensk Damtidning writes that Victoria and Daniel have chosen Djurgårdsskolan as the school where Estelle goes to her preschool class. More about this at their paper issue.
Här ska prinsessan Estelle gå i skolan _ Svensk Damtidning

Because of Svensk Damtidning's article, Expressen has called Margareta Thorgren.
Margareta Thorgren said to Expressen that Victoria and Daniel have not decided the school yet. Princess Estelle will go to a preschool class, that is a fact. But no decisions about the school have been made, said Thorgren.
A person close to the family says the same and that Victoria and Daniel are interested in many schools. According to Expressen's information Victoria and Daniel have in the evenings visited many schools, among them Fredrikshovsskolan, Djurgårdsskolan and Christinaskolan.
Kronprinsessan Victoria letar förskola åt prinsessan Estelle _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 27,260
We could see in Ockelbo, that Estelle has lost a tooth.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 01-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Svensk Damtidning writes that Victoria and Daniel have chosen Djurgårdsskolan as the school where Estelle goes to her preschool class. More about this at their paper issue.
Här ska prinsessan Estelle gå i skolan _ Svensk Damtidning

Because of Svensk Damtidning's article, Expressen has called Margareta Thorgren.
Margareta Thorgren said to Expressen that Victoria and Daniel have not decided the school yet. Princess Estelle will go to a preschool class, that is a fact. But no decisions about the school have been made, said Thorgren.
A person close to the family says the same and that Victoria and Daniel are interested in many schools. According to Expressen's information Victoria and Daniel have in the evenings visited many schools, among them Fredrikshovsskolan, Djurgårdsskolan and Christinaskolan.
Kronprinsessan Victoria letar förskola åt prinsessan Estelle _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Is preschool compulsory in Sweden ? I would assume it is not, but most children normally attend it these days ?

I also assume all the aforementioned schools must be public (i.e state) schools. Is that correct ?
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 01-28-2018, 04:48 PM
JR76's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is preschool compulsory in Sweden ? I would assume it is not, but most children normally attend it these days ?

I also assume all the aforementioned schools must be public (i.e state) schools. Is that correct ?
Preschool have been made compulsory from the autumn semester of 2018.
All the three schools mentioned in the post are private schools.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 01-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: ., Germany
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
All the three schools mentioned in the post are private schools.
I always automatically expected Estelle and Osar to attend public/state schools - like the DRF-children (and at first also the NRF children). Did the Swedish press ever speculate about the kind of school the children will attend (before the speculations at the moment)?
Did Victoria and her siblings attend private schools? How popular/common are private schools in Sweden? I would have guessed that there aren't that many private schools (due to a good (public) education system). Do you or other Swedish members think that a private school will be critisized by the media and public?
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 01-28-2018, 06:43 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 9,074
Upper class families with money often choose to send their kids to private schools. Why should royals be any different?

Only Fred and Mary send their kids to public school. Joachim's kids attended/attend private school. The older two attended Krebs like their dad and uncle, Nikolai later going to boarding school. The younger two attend a private catholic school. Like the Dutch royal children, the Norweigan kids started out in public and transferred to private school. The Spanish, Belgian and British kids attend private schools.

Victoria and her siblings did both. They spent their early years in municipal schools, and later years in private schools.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 01-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: ., Germany
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Upper class families with money often choose to send their kids to private schools. Why should royals be any different?

Only Fred and Mary send their kids to public school. Joachim's kids attended/attend private school. The older two attended Krebs like their dad and uncle, Nikolai later going to boarding school. The younger two attend a private catholic school. Like the Dutch royal children, the Norweigan kids started out in public and transferred to private school. The Spanish, Belgian and British kids attend private schools.

Victoria and her siblings did both. They spent their early years in municipal schools, and later years in private schools.
Thanks, Countessmeout
I am not judging anyones school choice (escpecially not in a country I don't really know well), I just want to understand the choices and possible (public) expectations and reactions.

But as you yourself stated the children of both other Scandinavian CP couples initially went to state/public schools. (BTW - the school Amalia is attending now is not what I would call a private school in most other countries.) I just expected Victoria and Daniel to make the same decision. And especially when Victoria started at a public school herself I wonder why she would choose a different path for her daughter (if she really does). I am not saying that there can't be good reasons for different choices/private schools.

If German politicans who advocate public schools send their children to private schools, that is more often critisized by the media than not. I am just courious about the situation in Sweden and always assumed it would be similar - but now I'm wondering if that was a wrong assumption.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 01-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
Thanks, Countessmeout
I am not judging anyones school choice (escpecially not in a country I don't really know well), I just want to understand the choices and possible (public) expectations and reactions.

But as you yourself stated the children of both other Scandinavian CP couples initially went to state/public schools. (BTW - the school Amalia is attending now is not what I would call a private school in most other countries.) I just expected Victoria and Daniel to make the same decision. And especially when Victoria started at a public school herself I wonder why she would choose a different path for her daughter (if she really does). I am not saying that there can't be good reasons for different choices/private schools.

If German politicans who advocate public schools send their children to private schools, that is more often critisized by the media than not. I am just courious about the situation in Sweden and always assumed it would be similar - but now I'm wondering if that was a wrong assumption.
Maybe the private schools would be easier from a security or logistical standpoint? Or easier to make and enforce rules about the privacy of well known pupils? But I think the most likely scenario is just that many, (most?), of the families that make up their group of friends will have their children in private schools and that’s the environment they’re most comfortable with.

I think the public schools the Danish and Dutch royal kids attended are quite elite in that they draw from a financially privileged and well educated population base. I’m sure a hypothetical public school for Estelle would be similar.

It’s hard to believe she’s old enough for any type of school!
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 01-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
Thanks, Countessmeout
I am not judging anyones school choice (escpecially not in a country I don't really know well), I just want to understand the choices and possible (public) expectations and reactions.

But as you yourself stated the children of both other Scandinavian CP couples initially went to state/public schools. (BTW - the school Amalia is attending now is not what I would call a private school in most other countries.) I just expected Victoria and Daniel to make the same decision. And especially when Victoria started at a public school herself I wonder why she would choose a different path for her daughter (if she really does). I am not saying that there can't be good reasons for different choices/private schools.

If German politicans who advocate public schools send their children to private schools, that is more often critisized by the media than not. I am just courious about the situation in Sweden and always assumed it would be similar - but now I'm wondering if that was a wrong assumption.

I don't think that is an issue in the UK because most, if not all children from upper class or even upper middle-class families in the UK go to private schools, and private schools are far more common in the UK than in the continent. In fact, I suppose it would be unthinkable for any member of the British Royal Family to attend a state school.

On the other hand, since Sweden is a country with a socialist tradition and since Victoria herself went initially to a state school, I assumed Estelle would do the same, but I guess I was wrong. However, the royals are not politicians who, as you said, could be caught in a contradiction of defending the quality of public school while sending their kids to private ones. I don't see then why it should be controversial if they sent their kids to a fee-paying school, unless someone complains of course that the school is being somehow paid out of the King's apanage. That type of criticism would be quite silly though as the apanage (as the name itself implies) is also meant to pay for the maintenance of the King's and the heir's families since they are prevented from holding any other job that pays a salary.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 01-29-2018, 12:25 AM
JR76's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,879
Every child in Sweden receives a sum of money from their community that goes to finance their education. There are state guidelines but in general the community decides how big that sum is. This sum is payed out to whatever school they choose. The three schools above are so called friskolor "free schools" and run by different foundations although some free schools are run as businesses. Free schools are not allowed any fees besides the individual sum from the community.
The business run schools & business run care facilities, hospitals etc are at the moment a big issue in Swedish politics with the views of the politicians divided by party lines but in the general public about 75% of the public is against running schools for profit.
Besides that putting your child in a free school is not uncommon in Sweden and mostly uncontroversial.
20% of kids attending preschool are in a free school, 15% are in primary free school & 25% are in high (16-19 years) free schools.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 01-29-2018, 04:55 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Every child in Sweden receives a sum of money from their community that goes to finance their education. There are state guidelines but in general the community decides how big that sum is. This sum is payed out to whatever school they choose. The three schools above are so called friskolor "free schools" and run by different foundations although some free schools are run as businesses. Free schools are not allowed any fees besides the individual sum from the community.
The business run schools & business run care facilities, hospitals etc are at the moment a big issue in Swedish politics with the views of the politicians divided by party lines but in the general public about 75% of the public is against running schools for profit.
Besides that putting your child in a free school is not uncommon in Sweden and mostly uncontroversial.
20% of kids attending preschool are in a free school, 15% are in primary free school & 25% are in high (16-19 years) free schools.
Thanks, JR76. Your information changes the debate considerably.

So, if I understand it correctly, the 3 aforementioned schools are not state schools, but they don't charge fees directly to parents either. Instead, fees (or the equivalent thereto) are paid for by this so-called "community sum", which I assume, must be funded from local taxes, right ? In that situation, it looks to me like a government subsidy to parents who want to send their kids to not-for-profit private schools. Do those so-called "free schools" have selective admission though ?

In the United States and in many other countries, public schools (state schools for the Brits) are not selective, except some specialized schools that have separate programs in fine arts or sciences for example. The general rule, however, is that anyone can enroll at a local public school as long as the child is a resident of the school's designated catchment area. How does it work in Sweden? If the "community sum" is available to all families and assuming "free schools" are of better quality than ordinary state schools, then I would suppose the demand to get into one of those schools must be higher than the number of available places, meaning some sort of selective admission must be used. Please comment.

Finally, if the "community sum" is based on local taxes, does the amount change from one community to another ? If so, I assume wealthier communities should be able to fund a higher number of places in "free schools" than working-class communities. Is that the case ?
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 AM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Thanks, JR76. Your information changes the debate considerably.

So, if I understand it correctly, the 3 aforementioned schools are not state schools, but they don't charge fees directly to parents either. Instead, fees (or the equivalent thereto) are paid for by this so-called "community sum", which I assume, must be funded from local taxes, right ? In that situation, it looks to me like a government subsidy to parents who want to send their kids to not-for-profit private schools. Do those so-called "free schools" have selective admission though ?

In the United States and in many other countries, public schools (state schools for the Brits) are not selective, except some specialized schools that have separate programs in fine arts or sciences for example. The general rule, however, is that anyone can enroll at a local public school as long as the child is a resident of the school's designated catchment area. How does it work in Sweden? If the "community sum" is available to all families and assuming "free schools" are of better quality than ordinary state schools, then I would suppose the demand to get into one of those schools must be higher than the number of available places, meaning some sort of selective admission must be used. Please comment.

Finally, if the "community sum" is based on local taxes, does the amount change from one community to another ? If so, I assume wealthier communities should be able to fund a higher number of places in "free schools" than working-class communities. Is that the case ?
Many (but not all) states here in the US use a system very similar to what's being described here as "community sum" to fund charter schools. The charter is held by a private entity of some sort, whether for-profit or non-profit depends on the laws of a particular state, and that organization runs the day-to-day operations independently of the local school district. In my state, local public school districts are given state funding according to the number of students enrolled, with one unit of "per-pupil expenditure" earmarked for the specific school each child attends. Charter schools get that their students' allottment of "per-pupil" money (which has the ripple effect of leaving a neighborhood school suddenly with a much smaller budget if a lot of families from their school zone are successfully recruited to a charter).
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prince oscar, princess estelle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christening of Prince Oscar: May 27, 2016 xenobia Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 292 05-27-2018 02:16 PM
Princess Estelle, News and Pictures Part 2: June 2014 - June 2016 JessRulz Current Events Archive 185 06-17-2016 05:23 AM
Princess Estelle, News and Pictures Part 1: April 2012 - June 2014 JessRulz Current Events Archive 683 06-02-2014 09:44 PM




Popular Tags
aif antony armstrong-jones australia book british royal family camilla clothes corruption crown princess victoria current events daughter daughters documentary duchessofcambridge duchess of sussex duke of york dutch royal family emma extramarital affairs fashion felipe vi forum general royal discussion genetics germany gloucester hasnat khan iñaki urdangarín juan carlos king felipe and queen letizia current events king philippe king willem-alexander letizia meghan markle member monaco patronages piromallo porphyria prince charles prince harry prince harry of wales prince laurent princenapoleon prince of belgium princess beatrice princess claire princess diana princess eugenie pyrmont queen elizabeth queen mary of teck quizz royal royal ancestry royal geneology royal ladies royal wedding siblings soldier state visit surname sweden swedish royal family tony armstrong-jones visit from spain visit from sweden wedding windsor castle windsor wedding



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises