Prince Daniel's Background (Family, Education etc.)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just met a fitness trainer!

I thought this was the right place to mention my impressions about a fitness trainer; please apologize if I am a bit far from "royal issues".

Maybe I am not the only one who hardly met a fitness trainer in his life! I never used the services of one, and I am not part of any sport team.

However yesterday I followed a training on "group leading issues" and one of the speakers was a fitness trainer. Honestly I was impressed by the communication skills, pyschology and background analysis of people, of that guy. And, as you can guess I was also thinking of Daniel W. From what we know about him, I feel those are exactly the areas in which he is interested, and in which he is probably quite good as well. Not surprising such a personality is attractive also as a friend, or more...

Prince Daniel's father Olle Westling inaugurated yesterday the exhibition "Finnskogar - Forest Finns" at the National Museum of Finland in Helsinki in Finland. The YLE News mentioned it at their news story about Victoria's and king's visits to Finland. There was also a media event on yesterday morning at 11.00 at the National Museum. Olle represents the Finnskogsriket Society.
Olle said to Iltasanomat, that his visit to Finland has nothing to do with the visits of the king and crown princess. He told that the exhibition tells about finnish people who moved to the uninhabited areas to Sweden's countryside in late 16th century and in 17th century and started slash and burn farming. His ancestors from his mother's side came from Rautalammi to Sweden in the 17th century. Olle said also that Ockelbo is near the nature, so they understand very well how important the nature and forest are to the people.
Photo of Olle Westling at the inauguration, from the Facebook of the Swedish Embassy in Finland.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd...._=1426496374_fc7f77772cb7ac942897f4a8cced0dec

Last edited:
Daniel's sister Anna's husband Mikael Westling Söderström has done last year with Tore Lennartsson a study ”Laget före jaget, jaget före laget eller jaget för laget” ("The team before one self, the self or ego before the team or for the team"): A study of leadership and coaching within the Swedish girls, youth and women's national soccer to Uppsala University
Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (Two Years)), 20 credits / 30 HE credits
The study examines the five national coaches operating in girls’ team (F16, F17 and F19), Youth team (U23) and the national team in women's soccer. The purpose of the survey is to obtain knowledge about their perceptions of coaching and leadership and to explore how head coaches were coaching and leading teams during the collections.
urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-225281 : ”Laget före jaget, jaget före laget eller jaget för laget” : En studie om ledarskap och coaching inom svensk flick-, ungdoms- och damlandslagsfotboll

They were interviewed by Arbetarbladet on November about their thesis
En trevlig studie att kartlägga - arbetarbladet.se

Last edited:
Olle Westling spoke a little to SVT's Finnish-speaking news Uutiset in connection with the "Finnskogar - Forest Finns" exhibition at the National Museum in Finland.
He said that he is proud of his roots, his ancestors were Forest Finns. He believed also that the exhibition can get people to be interested in genealogy.
He said that people could learn faith to the future and persistence from Forest Finns.
Metsäsuomalaiset esittäytyvät Suomessa - Nyheter SVT.se

Also finnish magazine Suomen Kuvalehti had an article about Olle and Forest Finns a couple of days ago
Kansallista itsetuntoa etsimässä - Suomenkuvalehti.fi

Last edited:
Olle Westling was invited on 4th June to the traditional garden party the Swedish Embassy in Finland organizes in Helsinki before the National Day every year. Olle represented the Association Finnskogens Vänner (Friends of the FinnForests). Olle, ambassador Anders Lidén, Governor Barbro Holmberg and Sinikka Bohlin from the Region Gävleborg welcomed the guests to the party.
Olle with ambassador Anders Lidén
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...7371_484897385002299_483717661478702890_o.jpg
Olle with other guests
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...116_484897808335590_7402996275733154074_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.484897188335652.1073741856.153592534799454&type=3

Last edited:
What does Olle for a living? Why does he attend offical meetings etc?:ermm:

What does Olle for a living? Why does he attend offical meetings etc?:ermm:

Olle worked as a social services manager in Sandviken. He retired many years ago, he is 70 years old. He is a descendant of Forest Finns and is active in Associations of Forest Finns and that is why he is invited to events, many of them in Finland.

Last edited:
Olle worked as a social services manager in Sandviken. He retired many years ago, he is 70 years old. He is a descendant of Forest Finns and is active in Associations of Forest Finns and that is why he is invited to events, many of them in Finland.

Thank you LadyFinn for your prompt response:flowers:. I suspected something on that field!

Olle and Ewa attended the annual meeting of Finnskogsriket this weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/Finnskogsriket/posts/1170156442996744

Formed as a non-profit organization, Finnskogsriket aims to develop the area between the provinces of Hälsingland - Dalarna and Gästrikland.
The area of interest covers Alfta, Bollnäs and Hanebo Finnskog in SW Hälsingland, Rättviks Finnmark, Svartnäs Finnmark and Envikens Socken in Dalarna as well as Gästrikefinnskogen in the parishes of Ockelbo and Järbo.
The network is meant for businesses, entrepreneurs, individuals, associations and organizations within Finnskogsriket.
Finnskogsriket is a concept that includes the vast wilderness area in Central Sweden between the provinces of Gästrikland – Hälsingland and Dalarna. Major attractions are unexploited nature and three characteristic cultural concepts: 1. Iron and -iron processing 2. Mountain chalets 3. Slash and burn – remnants of Finnish settlements (About 400 years ago, Finnish migrants came to the region).
Welcome to Finnskogsriket

Olle and Ewa Westling visited with the Board of Finnskogsriket in the end of August Oklagård outside Ockelbo. A fantastic facility created by Anders Woxberg with all of the buildings from the 1500s onwards. There is also a copy of an old church. Ewa is not seen at the photos, but mentioned at the text.
https://www.facebook.com/Finnskogsriket/photos/pcb.1277023115643409/1277020298977024/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/Finnskogsriket/photos/pcb.1277023115643409/1277021595643561/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
Olle Westling told about "Svedjefinnar"/"Skogsfinnar" = Forest Finns at the autumn's first meeting of the Motorcykelhistoriska Klubben Gävleborg on 6th October. The club is non-profit, non-political, cultural society of enthusiasts that preserves, renovates, maintains and uses older motor cycles, mopeds and scooters. Olle has started his research of Forest Finns in 1998.
http://mchkgavleborg.org/bilder/2016/Svedjefinnar_2143.jpg
Evenemang

Last edited:
Daniel's second cousin Frida Hansdotter, 31, won bronze at Women's slalom at the Alpine World Ski Championships yesterday. Frida has previously won two silver medals and two bronzes at World Championships. During the 2015-2016 season she won the FIS Slalom Skiing World Cup.

Frida told a week ago to Expressen that they have such a large circle of relatives that she has never met Daniel. Frida's mother and Ewa Westling are cousins.
Frida Hansdotters släkt med prins Daniel - är sysslingar_ _ Alpint _ Expressen

Last edited:
Olle Westling was on 17th January in an event of association Älvkarleby-Marma PRO in Skutskär, he talked about Forest Finns. PRO is Sweden's largest organization for pensioners.

Olle Westling and Gunnar Ärnström attracted more than 100 people to Fyrklövern with their lecture on the history of Forest Finns in our area.
They explained how the first Forest Finns came to Sweden in the 16th century, primarily to Hälsingland, Gästrikland, Dalarna and Värmland. But also in northern Uppland, documentation has been found of some settlements.
Olle Westling told that his roots on his mother's side have these Forest Finns. He didn't know this when he started researching these questions.
After a question time, the lecture was concluded with a warm applause from the interested audience and chairman of the Älvkarleby-Marma PRO association thanked with a hometown publication and PRO scratching lottery ticket.
Everyone was invited to coffee and cake and people could ask Olle and Gunnar more questions.
PRO.se - Skutskär - Föredrag 2018-01-17

Hedvig Blom graduated yesterday, I wonder if Daniel and Victoria drove in the evening to Gävle to celebrate her.

From high school? Not sure whether that's a big event in Sweden.

It isn't in the Netherlands, so no reason at all for uncles and aunts to come over and celebrate as you're just doing what's expected of you and what almost everyone else does as well.

It isn't in the Netherlands, so no reason at all for uncles and aunts to come over and celebrate as you're just doing what's expected of you and what almost everyone else does as well.

Graduation in Sweden and in Finland is a very big thing and celebrated with a lot of events with your fellow students, family and relatives. You can read about it from this article:
Studentfirande! Alla tips du måste ha inför studenten _ Leva & bo
Translation

And from this blog:
Swedish Graduation - Purple John

Last edited:

It's a very big celebration. Even for those who chose to get confirmed in church it's the biggest celebration so far in the 19 year old's life. Most often it's a 24 hr party involving friends, family, neighbours.

Folk musician Hugo Westling has passed away
Hugo Westling from Bollnäs, cousin of Daniel's father Olle Westling, was an appreciated and recognized musician in Hälsingland. He died on August 27 in Bollnäs, 88 years old.
Hugo Westling was, among other things, conductor of Westlings spelmän.
During the Crown Princess couple's wedding in 2010 Hugo Westling and his son, Thomas Westling, played for the bride and groom.

Daniel greeting Hugo when he arrives to Stockholm Cathedral
https://www.svtstatic.se/image-cms/...ternates/extralarge/hugowestlingbrollop-0-jpg
Hugo playing when Victoria arrives to the Cathedral
https://www.svtstatic.se/image-cms/...ernates/extralarge/hugowestlingviktoria-0-jpg

Riksspelmannen Hugo Westling har gått bort _ SVT Nyheter

Daniel's second cousin alpine skier Frida Hansdotter (whole name Frida Marie Hansdotter Westring) with with H.M. The King's medal for contributions in Swedish sport on 20th February at the Royal Palace.
Frida won gold in slalom at the Olympic Games in Pyeongchang in 2018.
She has also won two silver and three bronze medals at the World Championships in 2013-2017.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Daniel's second cousin, alpine skier, olympic champion Frida Hansdotter tells today at her Instagram, that she retires at the end of the season.

An era has come to an end~ The last 15 years I traveled the world with skiing, pushing limits harder then I ever thought was possible, achieving great things, met amazing people on the way I love skiing and it will always be a big part of my life But it's time for me to say goodbye to the worldcup circuit and start a new chapter in life Spindleruv Mlyn and Soldeu will be my last races. I will miss you all!! /Frida
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuqapugnSpQ/

Swedish skier Frida Hansdotter to retire after World Cup - The Local

Olle Westling spoke at the Swedish Finns Day event at the Uppsala City Library on 25th February.

Yesterday, the Swedish Finns Day was celebrated and therefore the Municipality of Uppsala had arranged a lecture evening - and coffee at the City Library.
Twenty years in the forest Finns' track was an entertaining and informative talk by Olle Westling (also known as Prince Daniel's father) and Gunnar Ärnström from the Finnskogsriket Association.
They showed great photos and maps and even had funny anecdotes to tell.
I knew before a lot about Finnskogarna and Forest Finns who moved from Savolax to Sweden in the 1500s and 1600s, but now I know even more.
Min trädgård i Vilan - och andra sköna upplevelser_ Skogsfinnar

Back
Top Bottom