The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Nobility

Thumbs up About grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
No the 2 year system had nothing to do with the "better students"...
But it is possible for those who are very bright and have it easy at school, to skip a year. I dont know how common that is thoug

And I dont know why some subjects only had 2 years back then (as it was before my time :) ) but nowaydays all programs are 3 years...
Thank You Lena! Your explenations, translations and points are interesting.

Yennie!Yes, it was a strange system compared with the one we have nowdays. By choosing different subjects in junior high scool (högstadiet) You could prepare Yourself for something You wanted to study in University level. And then some studies in high school didn't have to be more then two years. You are right in that it was'nt "better students". But if a student was motivated enough to study something "special" after high scool or working in a certain buisness it was a smart choise shortening highscool studies.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Commoner

A few comments:

Lena doesn´t get it exactly right with DW´s military service, he started out at the program for "kompaniofficer" which is 450 days and leads to an exam as conscript subliutenant (värnpliktig fänrik) but changed to veichledriver and graduasted after 227 or 297 days as a private soldier. The army obviously likes him as he graduated with exceptionally good grades and was in the first place selected for the most qualified program they had at the regiment which was closed in 1997.

Daniels studies at Lillsveds sport college not only gave him a vocational training but probably also a better possibility to apply for university. The courses at "Folkhögskolor" normally givs a certificate in swedish, english and maths that equals a three year highschool program although they only comes in the grade passed (godkänd) or not passed (underkänd).

Grades from private schools like the one the kings children has studied at are not public, but if someone applies to university with them they becomes public. I don´t think we have ever seen prince Carl Philips grades. Grades from public schools are public.

The two year theoretical programs, like the one DW studied at, gave access to some university programs but it wasn´t the normal way for someone with ambitions to study them. The two year vocational programs didn´t give access to university.

Old 10-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Nobility

Post Trifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tog
The two year theoretical programs, like the one DW studied at, gave access to some university programs but it wasn´t the normal way for someone with ambitions to study them. The two year vocational programs didn´t give access to university.
Being a headmaster/dean/principal for about 24 years I don't agree with the assertion You gave that "two Years in highschool wasn't the normal way for someone with ambitions". It´s right both the ways! If a student did know, in a future perspective ,what kind of education/job he/she did think will be in focus (centre) of interest, it realy was a smart choise. Its true that two years of theoretical programs did'nt give access to some program in university level. But if a student did know it wasn't the kind of program one would like to study it was no meaning being in highschool one year extra. I´f a student does have special interests, and wants to develop them, it must be better doing that as soon as he/she is "mature enough" doing it. It's perhaps not wrong things You are writing, but it's a incorrectimplication about the earlier education system. It's not possible comparing it with the system nowdays.

And I did realy like what Lena wrote. It wasn't a caustic rebuttal at all from me.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

A little comparison:

A poll we hade recently on TRF:
"When do you think Crown Princess Victoria will get engaged to Daniel Westling" are now finnished and the poll is hereby closed. The poll results are as follows:

This autumn/winter (marriage 2006) 44 votes, 23.78%
In the spring/summer of 2006 (marriage 2006) 54 votes, 29.19%
In the autumn/winter of 2006 (marriage 2007)
32 votes, 17.30%
Never 55 votes, 29.73%

A poll, the Swedish TV channel TV4 has started online:

"When will crown princess Victoria and Daniel Westling marry?"
In spring (10,8 %)
In summer (35,8 %)
In winter (10,2 %)
They won´t marry (43,2 %)

Participating people (so far): 1457
This poll was started this autumn.
http://tv4.se/412263.html
I wonder, why here and there, so many people vote "never"
Old 07-05-2006, 03:10 PM

I always thought that Swedish men were required to serve a certain amount of time in the service. So wouldn't Daniel already have some kind of military rank?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriD
I always thought that Swedish men were required to serve a certain amount of time in the service. So wouldn't Daniel already have some kind of military rank?
not all do, you can get a freecard. Sweden has cut back on the defense lately. I dont know if Daniel got one tough, I think I read somewhere that he was in the military...?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Daniel did perform the mandatory (not really mandatory anymore though, but still called so) military service/conscription as a vehicle driver at I14, the Reigment of Hälsingland (now closed down). But that was just normal military service, and I don't think that gives you a rank above 'private', unless choosing to continue after the mandatory time...
Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Commoner

DW was originally selected to do the 15 month training as "kompanibefäl" and graduate as conscript subliutenant. However he chose to change his training into a shorter one as he couldn´t find time to play icehockey with the very long serviceperiod he was selected for (the maximum period). The army really isn´t very interested in having badly motivated people in the longer programs so it was probably not that hard to change. He did graduate with an exceptionally good report , 10-8-9, where 10-5-5 is acceptable, with 10-6-6 you could do UN peacekeeping duty and 10-7-7 is the requirement for applying to officers college. 10-10-10 is the maximum both does in practice not exsist. If he had graduated from his original program with those reports from the program he would have been put under pressure by recruitment officers to pursue a military career.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Majesty

has the royal court made a profile on daniel yet
i mean on the webbsite
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Does Daniel's sister Anna have children?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Her daughter was a bridesmaid at the wedding in 2010
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine
Her daughter was a bridesmaid at the wedding in 2010
She has 2 and both of them (Hedvig and Vera) were bridesmaids.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Johanna in her Fashion blog of Svensk Damtidnng about the very stylish Anna Westling Söderström
Anna Westling – vilken stilprinsessa | kungligamodebloggen
Google translation
Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Johanna in her Fashion blog of Svensk Damtidnng about the very stylish Anna Westling Söderström
Anna Westling – vilken stilprinsessa | kungligamodebloggen
Google translation
A very beautiful and elegant woman. She is Daniel's only sibling, isn't she?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

It says on Daniels wiki,that he only has one sibling.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Royal Highness

She has one sister-Anna, very elegant woman in my opinion.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Olle Westling opened today a seminar "Life in the finnish Forests" at the Hanasaari Cultural Center in Espoo, Finland. He is the chairman of swedish Forest Finn Cultural Association. He told that according to one researcher the roots of his ancestors are from Savonia, Finland. If this is true, Estelle has also some finnish blood from her ancestors. However, Olle Westling said that he can't guarantee that this is certain, only one researcher has confirmed the finnish roots. He is very interested of the finnish roots of his ancestors. The reporter says that the court has given strict guidelines about talking of Estelle (I think that he is so civilized himself that he knows what to speak without any orders from the court), while asked about Estelle, Olle Westling said just that "I'm not here to speak about that question".

Video of the interview of Olle Westling, done by the news of finnish TV-channel Nelonen.
http://www.nelonen.fi/uutiset/videot...deo&vid=243956
Program of the seminar
Seminarium: Livet i Finnskogarna - Hanaholmen/Hanasaari
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I cannot help myself but I love Daniels parents. They are so down-to-earth and natural. I am sure they are very very very very proud of their son. Also of their daughter.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Courtier

Considering what Daniel and his family have been thrust into in these last years, the entire family has behaved impeccably. Of course being in Sweden may have something to do with this as well.

I just read an article about Sweden being one of the 10 "happiest" places in the world to live. It certainly is one of the most civilized - the paparazzi are not the vultures they are in other countries of the world.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Olle Westling gave a speech at the 30-year celebration of Finnstigen yesterday. Olle said that he will tell to his grandchildren of their finnish roots.
Farfar Olle avslöjar Estelles "blåa" blod | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

Tags
background, daniel westling, family, prince daniel