The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Serene Highness

Can we please get back to what sounds like, from what I know, Daniel's first solo engagement where he also gave a speech? So what if it isn't what would have happened where you live. This is Sweden and I'm sure it was approved by those of the Church/Priest/Minister well in advance, so what's the big deal? All that matters is that it was okay there. That's it, that's all.

Sorry Mods for that, but I do tend to get irritated when it comes to something like this and if I overstepped my bounds, I truly am sorry.

It does sound very much like he pulled it off well and if Victoria wasn't able to be there, I'm glad his Parents were. He had to have been nervous and it never hurts to have Family there to support you when it comes to public speaking. :)

I hope they had a lovely Christmas Day yesterday and that the ham ended up being delicious.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorette View Post
I find it a strange thing to do during a mass. It's about christmas, not about Prince Daniel, after all. During the mass on the highest christian holiday this seems misplaced to me.
Since he wanted to express his thanks to the town as a whole, this was a good opportunity to address a large group of people in a low-key, discreet way. If it was done after the service/concert, and with the consent of the people in charge, I personally think it was an appropriate- and very nice- thing to do.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Bakom Kulisserna - Prins Daniel på egen hand...
Google Translate
Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
Lorette: In Sweden we arent catholics, we are supposed to be Lutherans, but our church is something in the order of "We think god exist, but we do know that the Socialdemocratic order exist"
Why, thank you Mattep74, that is just what I thought - that I don't really know how you folks handle your religion. I actually contemplated a scenario like the one you wittily explain.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Nobility

Its funny that Daniel in the church say "Thank you for not telling anyone that Victoria or me is here" and the next day we see two pictures from the church in the two main tabloids.

I wounder if Daniel went up to those two and said "Its ok for you to send them to the papers." This is the first pictures in almost 10 years taken by ANYONE(not papparazzi) in Ockelbo of those two that came into the papers
Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Serene Highness

I guess it was too hard to resist, especially if the papers pay for them. Although 2 out of 400 who were there is pretty good.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 AM
Nobility

Daniels speach in the church TV: Daniels nya succétal | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Old 01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

On "Noblesse et Royautes" it's written that Victoria is going to take part in World Energy Summit in the UAE in 17-19 January (this time without Daniel) so I suppose we will not hear "this particular announcement" this month...
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

It is understood that Victoria will undertake some assignments without Daniel.
That said, I am surprised they (the court) have not yet given Daniel some sort of assignment, project, charitable "cause" of his own with a public profile. It's been several months since the wedding and more than a year since he started "prince school".
I am sure Prince school is good, but now it should be time to practice what he has learned. The man has proven a pretty good public speaker so far, so why not?

RIght now seeing his agenda totally empty in the court calendar doesn't give a good impression.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by altagrace View Post
It is understood that Victoria will undertake some assignments without Daniel.
That said, I am surprised they (the court) have not yet given Daniel some sort of assignment, project, charitable "cause" of his own with a public profile. It's been several months since the wedding and more than a year since he started "prince school".
I am sure Prince school is good, but now it should be time to practice what he has learned. The man has proven a pretty good public speaker so far, so why not?

RIght now seeing his agenda totally empty in the court calendar doesn't give a good impression.
I've been wondering the same thing. Why there is nothing in his calendar? Why he couldn't already have some own assignments?
My photos of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel in their official visit to Finland on 1-2 of November, 2010: Photos from Lahti and Photos from Helsinki.Check out also my royalty postcard collection.
I never thought Prince William would be faster than me to get married - but he is!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Daniel's calendar is completely empty indeed; there are no engagements listed for him together with his wife at all, let alone solo appearances - he still has not performed his first solo engagement in public yet.
In connection with this, there is not a single patronage either.
It is more than seven months after the wedding now, and even taking into account that he had a kidney transplant in 2009, the current state of affairs is puzzling.
Someone who is well enough to go on skiing holidays as well as big birthday parties of friends is certainly well enough to take on a few public engagements a month?
The same is true for someone who allegedly goes to 'Prince School', which should include learning by doing the job anyway.
Among the consorts who got married to heirs of the throne during the past decade, no-one took this long to perform a first solo duty or to take on patronages, in short: Start life as a Working Royal.
It's definitely starting to look bad that he doesn't seem to do so.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Courtier

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Daniel's calendar is completly empty and I have to say that it bothers me a lot. And honestly I don't understand the reason.
After the first "assignment" in December I did hope to see him finally performing some solo duties this year. If his health suddenly worsened, he wouldn't go on a skiing holiday with his wife. He has been in the prince school for how long? It must be nearly a year and in fall he was able to perform duties together with Victoria and also go to prince school. So why not now? What did change? In his appearances so far he has proved that he is capable of doing this job. They don't have to wait to determine what his areas and patronages will be, it's pretty clear from the begining even if the Royal Court is acting like it isn't. And IMO the sooner he starts, the better. It is one thing to learn something in "school" and another thing to perform it in practice.
Then there is also media, so far he has recieved only positive coverage since the wedding, but if he continues without any assignments, it's only a matter of time till they notice and start picking on it. What will the Royal Court do then? Say that it isn't so? I don't think that will help in this case.

I've one question that bothers me for quite some time and maybe someone knows the answer. Who is the final person who decides that some member of SRF will perform some assignment? Or exactly "that" assignment? Is it the King?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Sorry, but hardly any royals are doing engagement this time of year.
He's only been a Prince for 8 months, give the man a break. Does he have to be doing something every day of the week?

There maybe any number of reasons why Daniel is not doing any engagements, he could be ill or maybe there are no engagements for him to do?

I presume when it comes to engagements, some place say a university asks for a specific representative from the royal family and they decided whether to go or not.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry, but hardly any royals are doing engagement this time of year.
Sorry, but of course they do. Just take a look at the royal calendars, also the one of the King and Queen of Sweden.
Quote:
Does he have to be doing something every day of the week?
One day a week would be a nice start, wouldn't it?
Quote:
maybe there are no engagements for him to do?
Then I'd suggest the most original concept that he himself and the Royal Court find him something to do...?
This is quite funny, since it's logical that there are no engagements for him to do (apart from accompanying his wife on her appointments, which he is currently not scheduled to do either) as long as he does not have any agenda. It should be easy for him to get involved with organisations and patronages on the field of personal interests at first; sports would be an obvious choice, the handicapped, and possibly general health issues as well.
There has not been any activity regarding his and Princess Victoroa's Wedding Fund either; there was never an announcement who exactly will benefit from the large sum collected besides the general info long ago that it would be 'something with children'.
I think the question why nothing has happened at all to shape a profile for him is quite justified. And: If he was Crown Princess Danielle, she'd be in for heavy criticism by now.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Sorry, but of course they do. Just take a look at the royal calendars, also the one of the King and Queen of Sweden.
Not all royal familys have hectic calendars this time of year, take the Crown Princely Couple of Norway who are still off on holiday. The swedish royal family are hardly doing a lot.

Quote:
One day a week would be a nice start, wouldn't it?
That entirely depends on what situation surrounds Daniel at the moment. Something may have happened within the family that the public do not know about.

Quote:
at all to shape a profile for him is quite justified. And: If he was Crown Princess Danielle, she'd be in for heavy criticism by now.
He's been a Prince for 8 months, are the Swedish people critising his so called lack of appearance at official events?
Does he have to be stuck at his wives side doing engagements. You don't know why he hasn't taken on patronages etc, there was similar discussion like this about CP a while back and I think it's nonsense.

We'll see him, when we see him.
I think we should agree to disagree, because I think your argument doesn't stand and vice versa.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think we should agree to disagree, because I think your argument doesn't stand and vice versa.
That's true indeed.
(The King and Queen of Sweden have a full schedule over the next weeks btw., and the recent traveling and 'time off' of the Norwegian CP couple are obviously an exceptional situation.)
I'm looking forward to the opinion of others here.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I checked the Swedish Royal Calender before I made my statement; Queen Silvia has one engagement on her own, King Carl the same and then they have one together. The next we see of them is a week on wednesday.

I won't argue with anyone, anymore.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

I have to say I agree with Boris.
Personally I think it's about high time Daniel gets his first solo engagements and his own royal agenda.
For me it is just odd we didn't see Prince Daniel having a single engagement this month.
I really wonder what the excuse for this is. It cannot only be the Prince-school.
Whoever is doing the schedules for the Royal Family and whoever is doing the PR are not especially making a good job.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I checked the Swedish Royal Calender before I made my statement; Queen Silvia has one engagement on her own, King Carl the same and then they have one together. The next we see of them is a week on wednesday.

I won't argue with anyone, anymore.
Why argue? Let's discuss instead.
Total of engagements currently listed on the royal calendar (after a few appointments and a full state visit already behind the King and Queen) from now until the end of March:
King: 25
Queen: 24
(plus a state visit to Botswana in March)
Crown Princess Victoria: 5
Prince Daniel: 0
Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You've missed out CP and Madeleine?
CP Victoria has 5 and you're not criticising her for having so little? Why Daniel?
Tomorrow afternoon, the calendar might have 50 engagements for Daniel, you never know

Isn't the PR woman for the Swedish royal family, someone what "different"? Or am I getting confused with another royal family Her_Majesty?

Tags
prince daniel