Prince Daniel, Current Events Part 1: June 2010-February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Daniel's calendar is completely empty indeed; there are no engagements listed for him together with his wife at all, let alone solo appearances - he still has not performed his first solo engagement in public yet.
In connection with this, there is not a single patronage either.
It is more than seven months after the wedding now, and even taking into account that he had a kidney transplant in 2009, the current state of affairs is puzzling.
Someone who is well enough to go on skiing holidays as well as big birthday parties of friends is certainly well enough to take on a few public engagements a month?
The same is true for someone who allegedly goes to 'Prince School', which should include learning by doing the job anyway.
Among the consorts who got married to heirs of the throne during the past decade, no-one took this long to perform a first solo duty or to take on patronages, in short: Start life as a Working Royal.
It's definitely starting to look bad that he doesn't seem to do so.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Daniel's calendar is completly empty and I have to say that it bothers me a lot. And honestly I don't understand the reason.
After the first "assignment" in December I did hope to see him finally performing some solo duties this year. If his health suddenly worsened, he wouldn't go on a skiing holiday with his wife. He has been in the prince school for how long? It must be nearly a year and in fall he was able to perform duties together with Victoria and also go to prince school. So why not now? What did change? In his appearances so far he has proved that he is capable of doing this job. They don't have to wait to determine what his areas and patronages will be, it's pretty clear from the begining even if the Royal Court is acting like it isn't. And IMO the sooner he starts, the better. It is one thing to learn something in "school" and another thing to perform it in practice.
Then there is also media, so far he has recieved only positive coverage since the wedding, but if he continues without any assignments, it's only a matter of time till they notice and start picking on it. What will the Royal Court do then? Say that it isn't so? I don't think that will help in this case.

I've one question that bothers me for quite some time and maybe someone knows the answer. Who is the final person who decides that some member of SRF will perform some assignment? Or exactly "that" assignment? Is it the King?

Sorry, but hardly any royals are doing engagement this time of year.
He's only been a Prince for 8 months, give the man a break. Does he have to be doing something every day of the week?

There maybe any number of reasons why Daniel is not doing any engagements, he could be ill or maybe there are no engagements for him to do?

I presume when it comes to engagements, some place say a university asks for a specific representative from the royal family and they decided whether to go or not.

Sorry, but hardly any royals are doing engagement this time of year.
Sorry, but of course they do. Just take a look at the royal calendars, also the one of the King and Queen of Sweden.
Does he have to be doing something every day of the week?
One day a week would be a nice start, wouldn't it?;)
maybe there are no engagements for him to do?
Then I'd suggest the most original concept that he himself and the Royal Court find him something to do...?
This is quite funny, since it's logical that there are no engagements for him to do (apart from accompanying his wife on her appointments, which he is currently not scheduled to do either) as long as he does not have any agenda. It should be easy for him to get involved with organisations and patronages on the field of personal interests at first; sports would be an obvious choice, the handicapped, and possibly general health issues as well.
There has not been any activity regarding his and Princess Victoroa's Wedding Fund either; there was never an announcement who exactly will benefit from the large sum collected besides the general info long ago that it would be 'something with children'.
I think the question why nothing has happened at all to shape a profile for him is quite justified. And: If he was Crown Princess Danielle, she'd be in for heavy criticism by now.

Last edited:
Sorry, but of course they do. Just take a look at the royal calendars, also the one of the King and Queen of Sweden.

Not all royal familys have hectic calendars this time of year, take the Crown Princely Couple of Norway who are still off on holiday. The swedish royal family are hardly doing a lot.

One day a week would be a nice start, wouldn't it?;)

That entirely depends on what situation surrounds Daniel at the moment. Something may have happened within the family that the public do not know about.

at all to shape a profile for him is quite justified. And: If he was Crown Princess Danielle, she'd be in for heavy criticism by now.

He's been a Prince for 8 months, are the Swedish people critising his so called lack of appearance at official events?
Does he have to be stuck at his wives side doing engagements. You don't know why he hasn't taken on patronages etc, there was similar discussion like this about CP a while back and I think it's nonsense.

We'll see him, when we see him.
I think we should agree to disagree, because I think your argument doesn't stand and vice versa. ;)

I think we should agree to disagree, because I think your argument doesn't stand and vice versa. ;)
That's true indeed.;)
(The King and Queen of Sweden have a full schedule over the next weeks btw., and the recent traveling and 'time off' of the Norwegian CP couple are obviously an exceptional situation.)
I'm looking forward to the opinion of others here.

I checked the Swedish Royal Calender before I made my statement; Queen Silvia has one engagement on her own, King Carl the same and then they have one together. The next we see of them is a week on wednesday.

I won't argue with anyone, anymore. ;)

I have to say I agree with Boris.
Personally I think it's about high time Daniel gets his first solo engagements and his own royal agenda.
For me it is just odd we didn't see Prince Daniel having a single engagement this month.
I really wonder what the excuse for this is. It cannot only be the Prince-school.
Whoever is doing the schedules for the Royal Family and whoever is doing the PR are not especially making a good job.

I checked the Swedish Royal Calender before I made my statement; Queen Silvia has one engagement on her own, King Carl the same and then they have one together. The next we see of them is a week on wednesday.

I won't argue with anyone, anymore. ;)
Why argue? Let's discuss instead.;)
Total of engagements currently listed on the royal calendar (after a few appointments and a full state visit already behind the King and Queen) from now until the end of March:
King: 25
Queen: 24
(plus a state visit to Botswana in March)
Crown Princess Victoria: 5
Prince Daniel: 0

You've missed out CP and Madeleine?
CP Victoria has 5 and you're not criticising her for having so little? Why Daniel?
Tomorrow afternoon, the calendar might have 50 engagements for Daniel, you never know ;)

Isn't the PR woman for the Swedish royal family, someone what "different"? Or am I getting confused with another royal family Her_Majesty?

While I agree that it odd that Daniel hasn't been doing any engagements.

With that said, I do think its a bit unfair to compare him to people (i.e. a member of any Royal family) who have been doing this all of their lives (a 60 to 5 year time period).

It would be fair (IMO) to compare his workload to that of Queen Silvia when she first joined the SRF, or any of the new CP (Mary, Letizia, Maxima, etc.). Right now we are talking an apples to oranges comparison.

You've missed out CP and Madeleine?
Sorry, how could I restrict myself to those who are supposed to be the 'main players'.
Prince Carl Philip: 3
Princess Madeleine: 11 (in the US, for the World Childhood Foundation)
CP Victoria has 5 and you're not criticising her for having so little? Why Daniel?
True. I hope that at least her calendar is going to full up somewhat.
Isn't the PR woman for the Swedish royal family, someone what "different"? Or am I getting confused with another royal family Her_Majesty?
Since January 1, incompetent Nina Eldh is fortunately gone; Bertil Ternert is the new Chief of the Bernadotte press and information department and will hopefully improve matters.
It would be fair (IMO) to compare his workload to that of Queen Silvia when she first joined the SRF, or any of the new CP (Mary, Letizia, Maxima, etc.). Right now we are talking an apples to oranges comparison.
Absolutely. Queen Silvia had her first solo engagement less than two months after the wedding (and has never stopped since, I'd say).
Not a single one of the current Crown Princesses had such a long time period in-between wedding and first public engagement as Prince Daniel has now.
Even Letizia stepped in for a solo engagement when her husband couldn’t attend.

Boris...thanks for the info for Queen Silvia and her first engagement.

Like I said in my previous post, I too find it odd that Daniels calendar has been empty BUT I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. My reasons are many: for all we know its the SRF that is not giving him any single engagements, and they think its bests that he does work with Victoria and it present her engagements are better done solo, he has been sick and although he has done some social engagements in the interim we don't know the specifics regarding his health (he could have been well to attend these events and not so well to others). And finally, I think the tours that tours that he and Victoria did were plentiful once they returned to Sweden, and its possible that it was a big much. Its a big change.

So I am going to give hm the benefit of the doubt until April.

Daniel has in fact done one solo visit - it obviously did not get much notice.
Yes, he made one visit to the office of The Swedish Trade Council, and had a picture taken for the official website.
This was announced after it had taken place and didn't involve any public - that's why I'd hesitate to call it a public solo engagement.
His performance at the wedding as well as during the trips with his wife last year should have proved that he'd be able to handle royal work in public pretty well, which only makes the current situation more puzzling, IMO.

The calendar is quite strange to me... There are quite a few upcoming events that Victoria will attend alone. I really wonder why Daniel is scheduled to join his wife on such events.
For example the 100th anniversary celebrations of the Society of Ölanders which will be attended by Victoria alone... the next day the King and Queen will attend an event related to this occasion. So I wonder why Daniel doesn't attend the event together with Victoria.
Boris said:
His performance at the wedding as well as during the trips with his wife last year should have proved that he'd be able to handle royal work in public pretty well, which only makes the current situation more puzzling, IMO.
I can only agree.

He's been a Prince for 8 months, are the Swedish people critising his so called lack of appearance at official events?

No. The Swedish people are more curious about Victorias biology than why Daniel dont do any apperances.

Carl-Philip and Madeleine get more critisism about their lack of apperances nowdays.

Since Daniel likes to ski there is the question of why they choosed the king and queen to be present at Holmenkollen on March 5th and 6th for the world championships of cross-country skiing instead of the king and Daniel/Victoria and Daniel/Carl-Philip and Daniel.

I am woundering if the prince school in fact isnt really the basic universities in political science and history(Statsvetenskap A och Historia A) and that Daniel actually beeing touterd like a private student.

Last edited:
Like I said in my previous post, I too find it odd that Daniels calendar has been empty BUT I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

People should not forget that he is a transplant patient who may die within the next 3 years as 10% of kidney transplant patients actually do according to surgery.com's morbidity/mortality statistics. So please, accept that he is willing but may not always be able...

I was told by a cousin who is as a surgeon specialized in kidney transplant and treatments that due to the fact that the kidneys and their environment are responsible for regulating a lot of hormones, especially those dealing with stress, it is very important to be careful for the first years after the transplant. Only than that part of the medication can be reduced which as a side effect influences the sperm quality....

If this is so, then I guess the media knows about it but keeps quiet and in my opinion we should do so as well.:flowers:

Last edited:
I am woundering if the prince school in fact isnt really the basic universities in political science and history(Statsvetenskap A och Historia A) and that Daniel actually beeing touterd like a private student.
Everything is possible. But why would they keep it secret then? Isn't it easier to say that he's taking university courses.

I've been wondering about this too.
But seriously speaking, Daniel is a sickly type of person and there is a possibility that he could be ill.

Fortunately, Daniel is not sick at the moment.
At least he wasn’t one week ago, as he and his wife found the time to attend the big 50th birthday party of Kenneth Bengtsson, a CEO of the large Swedish supermarket chain ICA.
Apparently, health reasons or the risk of exposure to larger crowds can currently be ruled out as the cause behind his empty calendar.
Link:
http://charlotteperrelli.chic.se/grattis-kenneth-bentgsson-50-ar/

He's been a Prince for 8 months, are the Swedish people critising his so called lack of appearance at official events? [....]

The court cannot wait to be criticized, they have to be pro-active. If they wait for some criticism to start in the press before they assign him something, they will look "passive-reactive" like he is only taking assignments because of the criticism. Royals are the ultimate public/civil servants; they have to manage public perceptions.

I hope this new PR person at the palace has a plan; it won't be long before the newspapers start asking the same questions we are.

He has 16 days of events starting on the 16th February and ending on the 2nd April.

I'm looking forward to seeing his first solo engagement in London.

I wonder if there would be any possibility of his meeting any members of the British royal family?

MarNoe said:
I wonder if there would be any possibility of his meeting any members of the British royal family?

If it's the Swedish trade council he's visiting I'd say probably not unless he has other engagements. He hasn't met any British royals apart from Edward and Sophie I think and I'd imagine that The first time he does, Victoria should be there to introduce him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom