Prince Daniel as Regent?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMTLove23

Nobility
City
bethlehem
Country
United States
Will Daniel be Able to Be Regent?

When they do Marry and Have an Heir...

If Victoria dies and The King Dies and the Heir is Not yet Able to succeed the throne. (i dont Know the How old he or she has to be to Succeed the throne in sweden) Would Daniel be Regent or would it have to be someone else. Because I read somewhere that he Cannot succeed Victoria because he is not of Royal blood. Please Help me understand This!

When they do Marry and Have an Heir...

If Victoria dies and The King Dies and the Heir is Not yet Able to succeed the throne. (i dont Know the How old he or she has to be to Succeed the throne in sweden) Would Daniel be Regent or would it have to be someone else. Because I read somewhere that he Cannot succeed Victoria because he is not of Royal blood. Please Help me understand This!
He will not be the regent and it is not because of not being of royal blood. The next in line is P. Carl Philip and then Madeleine. I am not aware of any monarchy where the crown passes to the deceased regents spouse.

He will not be the regent and it is not because of not being of royal blood. The next in line is P. Carl Philip and then Madeleine. I am not aware of any monarchy where the crown passes to the deceased regents spouse.
In the Netherlands Queen Emma became Regent when her husband died and her 10 years old daughter succeed as Queen. There ws a special law passed when Queen Beatrix succeeded to the Throne that if she should die before Willem-Alexander would reache the age of 18. Prince Claus could become Regent.

The widows of Fernando VII and Alfonso XII of Spain became regents for Queen Isabel II and King Alfonso XIII.

I believe it depends on what the Government puts into place. If the King and Victoria both die before Daniel and Victoria's eldest is 18- than there is a possibility that Daniel will serve as regent for said minor Monarch. Daniel cannot succeed Victoria, Victoria will be succeeded by her children (if she has any) or Carl Philip.

Unless Victoria announces otherwise, Carl Phillip would serve as regent. However, in Britain, Elizabeth decreed that, if she died before Charles was 18, Philip would serve as regent and not Margaret. I would assume Victoria would be able to do the same with Daniel if she chose to.

It is quite common in European monarchies that if the ruling monarch dies, and a heir is still a minor, the spouse of such monarch becomes a regent. So, it is high probability that in similar scenario in Sweden, Daniel would became a regent.

But you have to understand the difference between regent and monarch. If Victoria becomes monarch and dies leaving a 13-year-old child, her child would be the monarch but an adult would serve as regent until the monarch reaches majority. If Victoria goes mad during her reign, another adult would serve as regent while Victoria would still be monarch. I hope this was clear enough. You should also see Wiki article about the term regent.

Kotroman, is your post answer to my post or to Maura724's post?:ermm:
I understand that regent does not equal monarch. It applies only in scenario when the monarch is a minor, and can't rule because of that. So, say Victoria dies, her child is 13 only, that child is still formally a monarch, a regent is only "ruling" in a minor monarch's name. What I understand prince Carl Philip would became monarch only if Victoria dies with no kids left.

No, my post is answer to HMTLove23 ;)

But I remember that when Prince Gustav Adolf died in 1947, leaving the courrent King as 1-year-old heir to the throne, if king Gustav Adolf VI would have died, the Regent would have been prince Bertil, the second in the Line of Succession, and not Princes Sybilla, the mother of Carl Gustav, and this is the reason of the delaied marriage of Bertil and Lillian, to make Bertil able to be regent if the King would have deid during the minority of Carl Gustav. If Bertil would have married Lillian at that time, he would have lost his rights to the Throne. So I don't know if Daniel will be able to be regent, hoping this eventuality will not exist.

Thanks, MAfan for this interesting fact. I didn't know that. So, they have in Sweden some different tradition or precedence where the regent is not a spouse of a monarch that passed away. It makes Carl Philip probable regent if Victoria dies leaving a minor heir.

But I remember that when Prince Gustav Adolf died in 1947, leaving the courrent King as 1-year-old heir to the throne, if king Gustav Adolf VI would have died, the Regent would have been prince Bertil, the second in the Line of Succession, and not Princes Sybilla, the mother of Carl Gustav, and this is the reason of the delaied marriage of Bertil and Lillian, to make Bertil able to be regent if the King would have deid during the minority of Carl Gustav. If Bertil would have married Lillian at that time, he would have lost his rights to the Throne. So I don't know if Daniel will be able to be regent, hoping this eventuality will not exist.

That is, I think, not entirely correct. The main reason for Bertil to delay his marriage so much was because at that time, had he married Lilian, he would have lost his place at the line of succesion, an that at time he was the ONLY one still in lime after Carl Gustav. In the event of Carl Gustav dying young an without heirs the swedish trone would have become vaccant had Bertil not waited so long to marry.
Lets remember that in those days only males could inherit the swedish trone, an that a morganatic marriage was not tolerated.
After Carl Gustav succeded to the trone an married he consented his uncle Bertil's marriage to Lilian and left his right to succede him intact.

I am little bit confused. So if Victoria died and she has child(ren). Carl Philip (NOT Daniel) will become regent, but not King. While Victoria's eldest child is still the first in line to the throne?

I am little bit confused. So if Victoria died and she has child(ren). Carl Philip (NOT Daniel) will become regent, but not King. While Victoria's eldest child is still the first in line to the throne?
The child would be King/Queen, and Carl Philip Regent.

I know this is going to come across as stupid question but, it has been bugging me fo while, (I can't find an anwser on the net), and I wondered some one here might know so I thought I'd ask it anyway.

Can Daniel act as regent if nessicary (now or later on) or would CP and Madiline out rank him? I read in a Swedish paper, (DN if I remember rightly), that Daniel is entitled to an equiry because his not directly in line to throne does the same rule apply to the subject of who can/can't be regent.

Prince Daniel can not be a regent.

I know this is going to come across as stupid question but, it has been bugging me fo while, (I can't find an anwser on the net), and I wondered some one here might know so I thought I'd ask it anyway.

Can Daniel act as regent if nessicary (now or later on) or would CP and Madiline out rank him? I read in a Swedish paper, (DN if I remember rightly), that Daniel is entitled to an equiry because his not directly in line to throne does the same rule apply to the subject of who can/can't be regent.

Nope he cant is the short answer.

The long answer is:
The regent if the higher rankings are unavalible is
Victoria
Carl-Philip
Madeleine

Then we move to the political spectrum
Speaker of the house
PM

What if God forbid Victoria dies after she becomes Queen?... Because in other countries the "Queen Consort" acts as regent if the heir is underage..

What if God forbid Victoria dies after she becomes Queen?... Because in other countries the "Queen Consort" acts as regent if the heir is underage..

Then Carl-Philip acts as the consort until her child comes of ages.

Are we sure that it would be CP?
Why can Daniel not be regent for his own children?

In the Netherlands Queen Emma was regent for Queen Wilhelmina until she became 18. And Emma was a queen consort.

Are we sure that it would be CP?
Why can Daniel not be regent for his own children?

In the Netherlands Queen Emma was regent for Queen Wilhelmina until she became 18. And Emma was a queen consort.

According to the rules of swedish succession it will be Carl-Philip since he is the next in line. I have asked som scholars on this

:previous:

And that is how it usually is - a regent must be in line for the throne themselves to be regent on behalf of an underage person. Sometimes though, a law/bill will be passed to allow someone who is not in line for the throne but has a close connection with the individual who is the monarch to be regent, usually the consort of the last monarch (for instance, Queen Emma was regent for Queen Wilhelmina in the Netherlands).

I believe Queen Ingrid of Denmark was also given the ability to be 'rigsforstander' (another Danish version of regent - only the heir can be regent, everyone else is rigsforstander) while Crown Prince Frederik was under 18 because there were only two people in the line of succession who were of age - Princesses Benedikte and Elisabeth.

An interesting question, it's nice to get an answer.

Thanks for all the anwsers everyone. You've all made things much clearer for me.

No, Prince Carl Philip would not necessarily become the regent for Estelle were she to become Queen as a minor. The Instrument of Government assigns the choice of Regent to the Riksdag (the Swedish Parliament).

Art. 5. Should the Royal House become extinct, the Riksdag elects a Regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice. The Riksdag elects a Deputy Regent at the same time. The same applies if the King or Queen who is Head of State dies or abdicates and the heir to the throne has not yet reached the age of eighteen.

https://www.riksdagen.se/globalassets/07.-dokument--lagar/regeringsformen-eng-2021.pdf

The majority of European monarchies where the regency during the minority of a monarch is already predetermined by law have assigned it to the monarch's surviving parent (Spain, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Monaco).

But I remember that when Prince Gustav Adolf died in 1947, leaving the courrent King as 1-year-old heir to the throne, if king Gustav Adolf VI would have died, the Regent would have been prince Bertil, the second in the Line of Succession, and not Princes Sybilla, the mother of Carl Gustav, and this is the reason of the delaied marriage of Bertil and Lillian, to make Bertil able to be regent if the King would have deid during the minority of Carl Gustav.

While I'm unfamiliar with the decisions of the Riksdag during Gustaf VI Adolf's reign, section 93 of the Instrument of Government 1809 which was in place at the time likewise assigned the election of one or more regents for a minor King to the Riksdag.

§93. Då konung dör och tronföljaren ännu omyndig är, utfärde statsrådet kallelse å riksens ständer, hvilken kallelse inom femton dagar efter konungens död skall hufvudstadens kyrkor och vidare i riket kungöras. Riksens ständer äge, utan afseende på något den aflidne konungens testamente angående riksstyrelsen, att förordna en eller flere förmyndare, som, intill dess konungen myndig blifver, regeringen i dess namn, efter denna grundlag, må utöfva. Sedan konungen aderton år fyllt, äge han att uti statsrådet, högsta domstolen, hofrätter och kollegier inträda, dock utan att i några beslut deltaga.

https://sv.wikisource.org/wiki/Regeringsform_1809

Back
Top Bottom