The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
We do not know that he is not going to attend yet.
Well, he isn´t listed in their official calendar and a press secretary had confirmed Edward´s and Sophie´s attendance to the Swedish press.
The chance Charles & Camilla are going is <1% IMO

Thank you for the info on Charles in connection to Frederik´s wedding.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I know but we still have a week or so. If he does not attend, it is very bad on his part.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Serene Highness

What if, God forbid, P.Lilian dies before the wedding, by a cruel tiwst of fate. Will the wedding be postponed then? I mean theoratically. I cannot imagine getting married in such a short timr after my aunt dies. And everyone knows how Lilian supported Victoria thoughout their whole courtship.
I imagine it would be a difficult decision.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

I very much doubt the wedding would be postponed at this point if God forbid the princess passes on.
BTW The BRF did not send any senior members to the wedding of King Carl Gustav to Silvia Sommerlath back in 1976 so I am not surprised now.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently the swedish tabloid Expressen contacted Buckingham Palace in regards to attendance. The Prince of Wales, Duhess of Cornwall and the Princes' William and Henry all declined their invitations (the two princes' will be in South Africa for the Soccer World Cup).

I don't have the article, but if someone comes across it, then by all means do post it

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Apparently the swedish tabloid Expressen contacted Buckingham Palace in regards to attendance. The Prince of Wales, Duhess of Cornwall and the Princes' William and Henry all declined their invitations (The two princees' will be in South Africa for the Soccer World Cup).

I don't have the article, but if someone comes across it, then by all means do post it
This one
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...ssen%26hl%3Den

I still hold out hope that he will attend.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope you dont plan on holding your breathe. You may well and truly start turning blue

Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 AM
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige...20bryllup.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilledBladet
The Swedish crown princess has even more than hinted that Prince Christian and Norway's Princess Ingrid Alexandra, six years, are among the names she had on her private list from the beginning of the wedding preparations.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
on his private list
her private list?
I do hope they are page boys and flower girls.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Wedding row: Carl Philip´s women divide the family:
Emma - invited; Sofia - not invited
Expressen
Old 06-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

And why should Sofia be invited?
He hasn't been dating her all that has he?
Why not compromise, not at the wedding, but she is allowed to the reception?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Apparently the swedish tabloid Expressen contacted Buckingham Palace in regards to attendance. The Prince of Wales, Duhess of Cornwall and the Princes' William and Henry all declined their invitations (the two princes' will be in South Africa for the Soccer World Cup).

I think it would be disgraceful if The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall do not attend the marriage of an heir to a throne - I'll be very disappointed in them.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
And why should Sofia be invited?
He hasn't been dating her all that has he?
Why not compromise, not at the wedding, but she is allowed to the reception?
She could be friends with Victoria and therefore that could be a reason she ha sbeen invited
Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldnt be surprised to see Christian and Ingrid Alexandra in the wedding party. Victoria seems to be very close to Frederik and Haakon and she is their godmother. I had actually really been hoping Marius would attend the wedding. He is 13 so not really a child who would misbehave.

It frustrates me slightly that Charles and Camilla take nothing to do with the other future heads of european monarchy. However looking back at Queen Margrethe's birthday can you really picture Charles and Camilla walking from the Kancillihuset with Mary and Frederik, Haakon and Mette-Marit, Maxima and Willem-Alexander and Victoria and Daniel? Sophie and Edward are of a more similar age and will probably enjoy the festivities more.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Royal Highness

Well it's not so surprising from the POW end the DOC to not attend this wedding. As some posters said, it's a question of generation and Edward and Sophie will be far more at ease than the Wales couple (that's said the Wessexes already represented the British crown to the Prince Albert of Monaco's intronisation for exemple).
These bristish royals are quite shy you know
Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

The quesion of generations is an extremely weak argument, imo.

The current heirs' (besides Charles) are in their 30's and 40's, respectively, but why should that matter?

Most current European monarchs' were born during the Silent Generation (1925 - 1945). Charles and Carl XVI Gustav were both children of the Baby Boom generation (1945 - 1965). The other heirs' were born during Generation X (1965 - 1983, or there abouts).

If monarchs' and heirs' alike from across Europe and Asia can make their way to Sweden, there is no excuse (one that cant be worked around I'd endeavour to suggest) as to why Charles cant do the same. Sure, he may just not want to go, but what a poor attitude to have if that should be (not saying it is) the case.

Even if Camilla can't attend (her leg should be close to healed, if not already), why should that stop Charles? They arent joined at the hip and both are capable of undertaking official representative roles without the other tagging along. Sure he may want his wife with him, understandable, but if it can't be, you suck it up and get on with it.

As it's likely to be that Charles will already be crowned at the time of succession of any other heir (pressumably), I find his absence to be, even if only from the Danish and Swedish Crown Princely/Princessly weddings, incredibly lax.

Furthermore, if many could attend his wedding and 60th Birthday celebrations, at least have the courtesy to express the same interest in an indiscriminate manner.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I agree that the age difference is a poor argument. Age difference does not keep the monarchs from Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands or Spain from attending, and they are about 10 years older than Prince Charles.
In the end it seems to come down to the fact that the continental European royals have establishe pretty close personal bonds. And it looks like the British royals never cared that much for their continental counterparts. To me they look pretty aloof, but that is my personal opinion, of course.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Royal Highness

Mmmm the Queen chose the Wessexes to be her representatives to the wedding fo a special reason : the closer link btw Edward and Sophie with the younger generation of royals on the Continent might be one. Back in the 60's the Queen often preferred to sent her aunt Pss Marina to such events rather than her sister or even her husband because of the princess strong links with continental royals.
More simply, as the POw's diary in not fully disclosed yet,maybe Charles and Camilla have an engagement on this day. (Or Charles is taking his revenge as his own wedding with Camilla was snubbed (just joking, all the european heirs were present for the POW's birthday last year, so the relations btw them seem quite cordial).
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Queen may not have chosen the Wessexs' to represent the royal house.
The could have been invited of their own accord, I know it says to represent The Queen in the royal diary, but that doesn't mean that the Queen chose them.
Yes they are closer in age, but not in title.
An heirs wedding should be attended by heirs of each country.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
An heirs wedding should be attended by heirs of each country.
I know i know dear
Don't get me wrong, i'm disapointed too to not see the POW and the DOC in this glorious royal parade. I'm just triying to understand why, as i can't imagine that it's a deliberate snub from Clarence House.

Closed Thread