Pre-Wedding Information for Victoria and Daniel's Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is quite a shame, and quite wrong, for the PoW and DoC to not attend Victoria's wedding. I never understood Charles not attending the Danish Royal Wedding, but to not attend Victoria's doesn't make any sense either. She is his equal and there families are pretty closely related, I really hope they still end up going.

I'm sad to hear about Princess Lillian, she's always been the darling of the SRF in my eyes.

I would have loved to see Prince Charles there. Why doesn't the Queen attend these wedding events?

Maybe she just doesn't want to! The last time a British monarch attended an European royal wedding was in 1913, the monarch was George V, none of his successors attended any European royal weddings on the continent. (QEII did attend CP Pavlos's wedding but that was held in London and since she just attended Constantine's 70th birthday celebrations we can assume that she's actually quite close to the Greek royals) Charles attending royal weddings is also a break from the norm when it comes to British heirs attending European royal weddings. In the past it was a younger sibling to the heir who attended, Albert,Duke of York attended a number of European royal weddings and when he was king his younger brother George, Duke of Kent attended royal weddings.

It's the normal course that QEII doesn't attend Victoria's wedding and the norm also that Charles as the heir doesn't attend as well. After all monarchy is all about tradition and that's the tradition with the British royals.

But why where they not mentioned in the Press Anouncement so it's not likely. Charles has attended the Weddings of Philippe, Haakon, Willem-Alexander and Felipe so he missed only Frederiks from the present generation of heirs. And Edward and Sophie where present in Amsterdam, Oslo and Copenhagen.

Maybe they have not decided they will attend. :ermm:

who is attending from jordan? shouldnt they have confirmed by now? and any chance fo seeign prince william?

and just CP of japan? not crown princess?

Prince William will be in South Africa, Masako rarely attends weddings.

I would have loved to see Prince Charles there. Why doesn't the Queen attend these wedding events?

I think she leaves it up to Charles, because he is on the same ranking as the bride/groom. She is as well ageing, gracefully, but still ageing. :)

Not so.

Charles attended Philippe, Willem Alexander and Felipes' weddings, respectively. So to say it's tradition that the heir, in this instance Charles, does not attend continental Crown Princely weddings, is clearly not the case.

When it suits, however...

He attended Haakons as well, I believe he will attend Victoria's. I do not understand why he didn't attend Frederiks, it is the only one. :ermm:

http://translate.google.se/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expressen.se%2FNyheter%2Fbrollopet%2F1.2010588%2Fkungligheter-fran-hela-varlden-kommer-pa-brollopet&sl=sv&tl=en

^^
According to this link, confirmed are

Norway.
King Harald, Queen Sonja, Prince Haakon, Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Martha-Louise and Ari Behn.
Denmark.
Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, CP Frederik, CP Mary, Princess Bendikte, Prince Richard, Princess Alexandra, Count Jefferson, Prince Gustav, Carina Axelsson, Princess Nathalie and Alexander Johannsman.
Liechtenstein.
Hereditary Prince Alois and Princess Sophie.
Japan
Crown Prince Naruhito
Britain.
Edward, Earl of Wessex and Sophie, Countess of Wessex.
Luxembourg.
Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Crown Prince Guillaume and
Prince Félix​
Serbia.
Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine.

...and the norm also that Charles as the heir doesn't attend as well

Not so. It would perhaps be the 'norm' if the incumbent Prince of Wales did not attend such festivities, but he quite often has. As such, it (tradition) can no longer be sited as a reason for his absence.

Charles attended the weddings of Philippe, Haakon, Willem Alexander and Felipe, respectively. So to say it's tradition that the heir, in this instance Charles, does not attend continental Crown Princely weddings, is clearly not the case.

When it suits, however...

(This post is is meant to be above lumutqueen's . . . technological mishap)

Last edited:
I´m glad that the british royal family sent anyone at all ! They didn´t when the king turned 60 and held large celebrations.
Maybe Charles is still angry on Victoria for her absense at his wedding to Camilla.
Is it the first time the Earl of Wessex represents in sweden oficially ?

And I think Edward and Sophie has a better contact to the the younger generation of the european royals as they have met them on a large number of formal events.

So sad to hear about Princess Lilians declining health. Hope the royal family and the nurses from silviahemmet take care of her and make the rest of her long life comfortable.

Anyone knowing, if he had a duty on the 14th of May, 2004?

However...it´s imo completely irrelevant, if he is close to the bride (or in Frederik´s case groom) or how big the age gap is. This is a question of diplomacy and what Charles is doing, is a major faux pas.
No need to attend all 3 days, but he could at least show the 9h for the wedding up.

Hardly any royals attended the wedding in 2008, don't see why that would be a reason.
Yes this will be presumably the first event he has attended in Sweden in an officially capasity.

Lola, a heirs wedding, any event can be put aside for that.
But no, I do not think he did.
We do not know that he is not going to attend yet.

We do not know that he is not going to attend yet.
Well, he isn´t listed in their official calendar and a press secretary had confirmed Edward´s and Sophie´s attendance to the Swedish press.
The chance Charles & Camilla are going is <1% IMO

Thank you for the info on Charles in connection to Frederik´s wedding.

I know but we still have a week or so. If he does not attend, it is very bad on his part.

What if, God forbid, P.Lilian dies before the wedding, by a cruel tiwst of fate. Will the wedding be postponed then? I mean theoratically. I cannot imagine getting married in such a short timr after my aunt dies. And everyone knows how Lilian supported Victoria thoughout their whole courtship.
I imagine it would be a difficult decision.

I very much doubt the wedding would be postponed at this point if God forbid the princess passes on.
BTW The BRF did not send any senior members to the wedding of King Carl Gustav to Silvia Sommerlath back in 1976 so I am not surprised now.

Apparently the swedish tabloid Expressen contacted Buckingham Palace in regards to attendance. The Prince of Wales, Duhess of Cornwall and the Princes' William and Henry all declined their invitations (the two princes' will be in South Africa for the Soccer World Cup).

I don't have the article, but if someone comes across it, then by all means do post it :)

Apparently the swedish tabloid Expressen contacted Buckingham Palace in regards to attendance. The Prince of Wales, Duhess of Cornwall and the Princes' William and Henry all declined their invitations (The two princees' will be in South Africa for the Soccer World Cup).

I don't have the article, but if someone comes across it, then by all means do post it :)

This one
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...ed=0CCUQ7gEwAA&prev=/search?q=expressen&hl=en

I still hold out hope that he will attend.

I hope you dont plan on holding your breathe. You may well and truly start turning blue ;)

Last edited:
Wedding row: Carl Philip´s women divide the family:
Emma - invited; Sofia - not invited
Expressen

And why should Sofia be invited?
He hasn't been dating her all that has he?
Why not compromise, not at the wedding, but she is allowed to the reception?

Apparently the swedish tabloid Expressen contacted Buckingham Palace in regards to attendance. The Prince of Wales, Duhess of Cornwall and the Princes' William and Henry all declined their invitations (the two princes' will be in South Africa for the Soccer World Cup).

I think it would be disgraceful if The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall do not attend the marriage of an heir to a throne - I'll be very disappointed in them.

And why should Sofia be invited?
He hasn't been dating her all that has he?
Why not compromise, not at the wedding, but she is allowed to the reception?

She could be friends with Victoria and therefore that could be a reason she ha sbeen invited :flowers:

I wouldnt be surprised to see Christian and Ingrid Alexandra in the wedding party. Victoria seems to be very close to Frederik and Haakon and she is their godmother. I had actually really been hoping Marius would attend the wedding. He is 13 so not really a child who would misbehave.

It frustrates me slightly that Charles and Camilla take nothing to do with the other future heads of european monarchy. However looking back at Queen Margrethe's birthday can you really picture Charles and Camilla walking from the Kancillihuset with Mary and Frederik, Haakon and Mette-Marit, Maxima and Willem-Alexander and Victoria and Daniel? Sophie and Edward are of a more similar age and will probably enjoy the festivities more.

Well it's not so surprising from the POW end the DOC to not attend this wedding. As some posters said, it's a question of generation and Edward and Sophie will be far more at ease than the Wales couple (that's said the Wessexes already represented the British crown to the Prince Albert of Monaco's intronisation for exemple).
These bristish royals are quite shy you know :ROFLMAO:

The quesion of generations is an extremely weak argument, imo.

The current heirs' (besides Charles) are in their 30's and 40's, respectively, but why should that matter?

Most current European monarchs' were born during the Silent Generation (1925 - 1945). Charles and Carl XVI Gustav were both children of the Baby Boom generation (1945 - 1965). The other heirs' were born during Generation X (1965 - 1983, or there abouts).

If monarchs' and heirs' alike from across Europe and Asia can make their way to Sweden, there is no excuse (one that cant be worked around I'd endeavour to suggest) as to why Charles cant do the same. Sure, he may just not want to go, but what a poor attitude to have if that should be (not saying it is) the case.

Even if Camilla can't attend (her leg should be close to healed, if not already), why should that stop Charles? They arent joined at the hip and both are capable of undertaking official representative roles without the other tagging along. Sure he may want his wife with him, understandable, but if it can't be, you suck it up and get on with it.

As it's likely to be that Charles will already be crowned at the time of succession of any other heir (pressumably), I find his absence to be, even if only from the Danish and Swedish Crown Princely/Princessly weddings, incredibly lax.

Furthermore, if many could attend his wedding and 60th Birthday celebrations, at least have the courtesy to express the same interest in an indiscriminate manner.

I agree that the age difference is a poor argument. Age difference does not keep the monarchs from Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands or Spain from attending, and they are about 10 years older than Prince Charles.
In the end it seems to come down to the fact that the continental European royals have establishe pretty close personal bonds. And it looks like the British royals never cared that much for their continental counterparts. To me they look pretty aloof, but that is my personal opinion, of course.

Mmmm the Queen chose the Wessexes to be her representatives to the wedding fo a special reason : the closer link btw Edward and Sophie with the younger generation of royals on the Continent might be one. Back in the 60's the Queen often preferred to sent her aunt Pss Marina to such events rather than her sister or even her husband because of the princess strong links with continental royals.
More simply, as the POw's diary in not fully disclosed yet,maybe Charles and Camilla have an engagement on this day. (Or Charles is taking his revenge as his own wedding with Camilla was snubbed :ROFLMAO: (just joking, all the european heirs were present for the POW's birthday last year, so the relations btw them seem quite cordial).

The Queen may not have chosen the Wessexs' to represent the royal house.
The could have been invited of their own accord, I know it says to represent The Queen in the royal diary, but that doesn't mean that the Queen chose them.
Yes they are closer in age, but not in title.
An heirs wedding should be attended by heirs of each country.

An heirs wedding should be attended by heirs of each country.

I know i know dear ;)
Don't get me wrong, i'm disapointed too to not see the POW and the DOC in this glorious royal parade. I'm just triying to understand why, as i can't imagine that it's a deliberate snub from Clarence House.

The Swedish and Danish royal houses should send Princess Madeleine and Prince Joachim when Prince William is to marry :lol:

With or Without Prince Charles I´m really looking forward to the wedding ;)
And seriously can you imagine a photo of all heirs on the wedding day, the bride and groom, frederik and mary of denmark, haakon and mette marit of norway, phillippe and mathilde of belgium, felipe and letizia of spain, willem alexander and maxima of netherlands and...........charles and camilla of uk. It would look like the old grand father and grand mother with all their grandchildren :lol:

I know Prince Joachim and the then Princess Alexandra attended the wedding of Edward and Sophie back in 1999. But that was a wedding of, shall we say, lesser importance. Respectively of course.

Better still, send Princess Elisabeth of Denmark to Williams eventual wedding..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom