Kidney Transplant for Daniel Westling: May 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomasine

Gentry
City
Oslo
Country
Norway
According to official information from the Swedish court Daniel Westling had the operation today.

Below the official bulletin from the palace in Stockholm:

Information om Daniel Westling

Daniel Westling har idag genomgått en njurtransplantation på Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset. Orsaken är en medfödd men icke ärftlig sjukdom som givit upphov till nedsatt njurfunktion. Behovet av en kommande njurtransplantation har varit känt sedan länge. Operationen genomfördes som planerat idag utan komplikationer. Njurdonator är patientens far. Båda mår bra.

Daniel Westling has today been subjected to a kidney transplantation.
The reason is a congenital but not inherited disease causing impaired renal function. The need for a future kidney transplantation has been known since long. The operation was carried out today as planned without complications. The kidney was donated by the father of the patient. Both the donor and the recipient are doing well.

I wish Daniel all the best:angel:

I just read on another swedish msg brd that daniel had a kidney transplant today and that the donor was his father. And that both are doing fine after surgery.Does anyone know anything else about this? This is pretty serious stuff.

I just read on another swedish msg brd that daniel had a kidney transplant today and that the donor was his father. And that both are doing fine after surgery.Does anyone know anything else about this? This is pretty serious stuff.

It´s on royalcourt.se, but I still have a hard time believing it. :ohmy:

Kidney Transplantation for Daniel Westling (May 2009)

Official message by the court (from royalcourt.se)
Daniel Westling has today been subjected to a kidney transplantation.
The reason is a congenital but not inherited disease causing impaired renal function. The need for a future kidney transplantation has been known since long. The operation was carried out today as planned without complications. The kidney was donated by the father of the patient. Both the donor and the recipient are doing well.

As it seems Expressen got a statement from the court...so I guess we can exclude hacking.
They also claim he wanted Victoria to go to Greenland. But me and probably many others wouldn´t have gone...or one could have planned the surgery otherwise (as it was scheduled and known for many years ) I don´t get this really :nonono:

Maybe a mod can split the posts on the transplantation off and start an own thread (?)

This is hard to believe, quite sad, and rather strange timing.
I guess that unfortunately a seperate thread will be needed, and it's going to turn into a very long one.
This is quite serious stuff indeed - medically speaking first, but on other levels as well... rather upsetting.
It's obvious now why the two planned for such a long engagement period.

WOW, wonder how they kept this quiet for so long. I pray that Daniel and his father are doing well. I can't believe Victoria wasn't there, obligations or not, I would of been there for my "husband". IMHO
I wish them both well.

This is probably one reason why the area around his eyes IMO looks so strange - visibly specially whenever he doesn´t wear glasses
This must be a big burden for the whole family
Maybe they want to play it down with Viktoria not staying home to support him
Now we know why they can´t marry already this year -Daniel will need some time to recover!

Yes, now the weight gain and edematous look makes sense. And also "the king doesn´t wanna Daniel to marry Victoria" makes sense...and the long engagement time.

Since Victoria hasn´t the fullest schedule these days, and since the problems must have been known for quite some time, I am still not getting, why they couldn´t plan it for a day, she had no duties. One would think the fiancé of the princess gets "special treatment" in terms of choosing a surgery date.

Are kidney transplants planned? I thought you just have to rush to the hospital whenever one came available & there is a match. Or is that only the case with heart transplantations (I need to watch more Grey's Anatomy obviously).

Last edited:
:previous:I think it's a planned thing when they have a suitable donor and you are not on the waiting list.
If you can not locate a match (suitable donor) I think that is when you are placed on the waiting list and when a donor is found that is when you are usually rushed to the hospital with no warning. (or atleast that's what I got out of Grey's Anatomy/E.R.) hee! Hee!

Are kidney transplants planned? I thought you just had to rush to the hospital whenever one came available & there was a match. Or is that only the case with heart transplantations (I need to watch more Grey's Anatomy obviously).

Kidney transplants, when one is getting the transplant from a family member (as Daniel did) or otherwise known person, can be planned out a bit more than when one gets them from organ transplants, I think.

It is apparently something he has lived with his whole life, and even though it is difficult to know when the issue became bad enough, I would guess that the test for possible matches has been done a long time ago, and they were monitoring for the right time in connection with the original kidneys, Daniel's well-being, etc. to do the actual transplant.

As it is a long-time condition, that supposedly has worsened recently, it makes sense with the additional year of engagement. Trying to come back from kidney transplantation and a royal wedding in the same period sounds more than stressful. And it also explains the limited programme Daniel has been having since the engagement.

Crossing my fingers that the body will accept the new kidney as best possible.

Someone just started a new thread about this on this board.
Well, I wish him and his father luck and good health from here on out as well as a speedy recovery.

To me it sounds as if his father was chosen to donate the kidney for some time already, however I don´t know why they decided to do the operation just know after Daniel seems to have the problems from birth

Are kidney transplants planned? I thought you just have to rush to the hospital whenever one came available & there is a match. Or is that only the case with heart transplantations (I need to watch more Grey's Anatomy obviously).

They are nearly always planned (only in Grey´s Anatomy maybe not ;) ) Many have to face dialysis (machine cleaning the blood) firstly...often renal failure comes suddenly (either the condition or the diagnosis :rolleyes:) and the time until the surgery gets "bridged" with dialysis.
It seems Daniel´s disease was known for a long time and progressive. But mostly likely he has some function left, but not enough to go without a donated kidney for longer.
So he got probably monitored for many years and when a certain point got reached, the final (probably things got discussed for many years) decision for transplantation was made and he could skip dialysis (which is very time-consuming and far away from the quality of a human kidney)

ANP Pic

Exterior view of Karolinska universitetssjukhuset in southern Stockholm Wednesday evening, where Daniel Westling, the fiancé of Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria, earlier the same day went through a successfull kidney transplant surgery, according to the Royal Court. Photo: Fredrik Persson ANP Beeldbank

I am so sorry to hear that. That means he'll have to take medecin his whole life....and sometimes the transplanted kidney fails...

Considering that this procedure was scheduled rather than being a last-minute emergency, it seems that it was deliberately timed to happen while the Princess was away. I wonder if this is a way of sending a message that it really isn't that big a deal. Pretty heartless if so, but I suppose that with royal courts the image is what counts.

It is interesting, that his fiancee, the love of each others lives, are not together for this. A kidney transplant is not a "ho hum", situation. I, cannot, imagine not being there. Elspeth is correct that they want to deflect attention from the seriousness of this. It just seems bizzare. I hope all goes well for them.

Oh wow, I hope all goes well in his recovery. That is rather strange they weren't together for it.

I agree with Countess. I think that it is very odd, INDEEEEED that they should not be together for this. A kidney transplant is a very intense and serious procedure. IMO Victoria should have been there, not only for her fiance, but also to support her future father-in-law and their entire family through this ordeal.

It is unfortunate news. It is a relief to know that Mr.Westling's father gave him the most precious gift a parent could give to his/her child. At the same time, I agree with Countess and Elspeth noting that Crown Princess Victoria's absence is rather perplexing. It would have been much better if Crown Princess Victoria were near Mr. Westling's bedside. I do wish him speedy recovery. Kidney diseases are a nasty thing to have.

How surprising. Strange that Victoria isn't there to support him! I hope all goes well and that he recovers quickly...

Wish him the best also its strange Crown Princess Victoria wasnt their

Well it it is strange that Victoria isn't there. But there may be another reason for it - we have no idea what their personal relationship is like, maybe they dont want to see each other when he is so ill (recovering) or maybe she physically wouldn't handle the stress of the procedure (is better doing something). I'm not saying that this is my opinion (at all), or that I agree with it (again, at all), just that there are possible reasons for her being away.

Daniel ville att Victoria skulle åka - Nyheter - Expressen.se
Expressen tells that Daniel wanted that Victoria goes to her trip. Victoria and Daniel visited Daniel´s parents last weekend and Victoria wanted to cancel her trip but Daniel begged her to to do that.
Westling svårt sjuk – fick ny njure | Aftonbladet
Daniel Westling har fått ny njure - Nyheter - Expressen.se

If this claim wouldn´t be by the Lindwall guy, one could believe it maybe ;)
So we remain in the dark...which hopefully won´t stay the same during the day, when journalists can ask her.

If she did go out of sense for duty, she didn´t understand, that "family values" are also "duties" for Royals.

Now all are paying attention to her being away from Sthlm...and none cares for the climate any longer (well, me is doubtful about those trips anyway...but that´s an other story)

:sad::ohmy: It is quite shocking that Daniel had kidney transplantation. I hope everything will be OK. It is wonderful that his dad gave him own kidney. I wish them both to get well asap.

RE Victoria not being with daniel during surgery, we don't know why she wasn't there. Maybe it's true that he asked her not to.:ermm:

with victoria at the hospital it would be a cirkus and maybe and not good for daniel, olle or other patiants.....

I wish both Daniel and his father a speedy recovery. :flowers:

I do understand HRH the King's concern about this marriage as the health of the future prince will be a constant concern in the years to come. He will need to take medication twice a day and go to checkups every month. Sometimes I've heard the body might build a tolerance for the medication so there's always a risk that the body will reject the transplanted organ. Also, Daniel will probably need another transplantation in the future. Although Daniel's father is in good health and lives a healthy lifestyle, the kidney is approx. thirty years older than Daniel is and in general transplanted organs tend not to last as long as "original" ones would. Next time it won't be so easy since he cannot receive any more kidneys from his father. All this means that there will always be a greater than average risk that his health might fail.

I am sure the Crown Princess and everyone concerned have thought about all of this long and hard. Her Royal Highness has no doubtedly decided to take the chance and as we all know, nothing in life is certain. I wish the couple best of luck in the future. As for the trip to Greenland, it has been their mutual decision to go ahead with this and I respect it. There was nothing the Crown Princess could have done in the hospital anyway and I am sure Daniel knew that her thoughts and prayers would be with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom