The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Aftonbladet even had a graphic, how the surgery was performed
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article5253033.ab

He has now 3 kidneys. The new one is frontal...and easily palpable through/at the abdomen. So I guess he has to be carefully with certain forms of sports...

It might be, that the one with little function might recover a bit by the support of the new one...depends on the disease...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

i really wish Daniel and his father all the best in the next few weeks and months

There is a future role for Daniel to bring awareness to his disease and organ donation - he could become active within Sweden and elsewhere to highlight kidney disease and use his future position as the husband of the (future) Queen to help other people.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see any advantages to keeping this secret. If it means in the long term that Daniel can't carry out as many royal duties in as many places as he otherwise might, he'd just get pilloried in the press for being a lazy good-for-nothing parasite on the royal family; since the Swedish monarch is basically a figurehead with no real constitutional duties, that would probably have led to serious discussions about whether the country needs a royal family at all if the consort is such a waste of space. If his appearance and activities suggested that there was a health problem, there'd have been a never-ending round of speculation in the press about what it was and whether it would affect his children.

This is the way the British royals' press people treated the press and the public in the 1950s through the 1970s, and it led to a major backlash. When the newspapers know they can't trust what the official people are telling them, it encourages them to speculate and fabricate in the hopes of getting some information from the quality of the official denials.

To say nothing of the fact that a visit to Greenland for a topic of major importance has been reduced to the status of decoy (if indeed that wasn't the plan all along), which gives even more ammunition to the people saying that celebrities and other high-profile types are a bunch of hypocrites when they get involved in environmental causes.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

You all avoid the question what would have been if Daniel died from his condition. Being engaged to him, now at least Victoria has a right to mourn him in public which beforehand she would have had. I do hope that he makes it and that they find a way to live together despite his health problems but now at least she is "officially" involved.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's a rather odd assumption that Victoria would not have had the right to mourn Daniel Westling, publicly known as her steady boyfriend for more than seven years, before the engagement. I have no idea who should or would have denied her that right.
The tactical move of the engagement's timing was certainly to make the announcement rather before his surgery, which was already known to be necessary, thus showing him strictly as the Crown Princess' fiancé at first, instead of presenting him as a man whose health happens to be impaired. Understandable.
But the tactical error was the short-sighted attempt to keep his condition and his surgery secret now. An ill-advised move, bound to fail from the start, and met with justified criticism.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
i really wish Daniel and his father all the best in the next few weeks and months

There is a future role for Daniel to bring awareness to his disease and organ donation - he could become active i within Sweden and else where to highlight kidney disease and use his future position as the husband of the (future) Queen to help other people.
This is an excellent point, PrincessofEurope! Organ donation is an excellent cause, and I can't think of any royal that is involved in promoting it.

I hope that Daniel recovers quickly, and is able to enjoy a better quality of life.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to Svensk Damtidning, Jonas Bergström visited Daniel yesterday.
Svensk Damtidning
Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

Lightbulb

I was confused as to how this issue could be "congenital" without being hereditary but this is one of the dictionary definitions of congenital: acquired during development in the uterus and not through heredity. I suppose to many it was important to make this distinction involving the future consort of the Crown Princess. I do like seeing the post that due to this issue there was an increase of registries for organ donation (if I read that correctly). In some USA states you can register for organ donation while getting a driver's license. I wish organ donation was (were?) more heavily promoted.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

The one good thing about this is that it might increase public awareness of organ donation and transplantation. The one good thing. Which the royal court was apparently happy to avoid in the interests of pretending there was nothing wrong.

Honestly, which century are these fossils living in?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
The tactical move of the engagement's timing was certainly to make the announcement rather before his surgery, which was already known to be necessary, thus showing him strictly as the Crown Princess' fiancé at first, instead of presenting him as a man whose health happens to be impaired. Understandable.
But the tactical error was the short-sighted attempt to keep his condition and his surgery secret now. An ill-advised move, bound to fail from the start, and met with justified criticism.
Exactly. I think it was important for Victoria to push the engagement through before the operation or before the wider public got knowlegde of the condition. If not, there would have been a huge - and cruel and unfair - debate about whether somebody with such a medical condition would be suitable in the first place or not. Now Daniel is already a fiancee and everybody has to move on.
Maybe this is the reason why they tried to keep it so low key or even a secret because critics could have come up saying why do we only learn about the future consorts' condition after the engagement took place? Just in case he will be unable to do a fair amount of engagements but is is still founded by the taxpayer for the rest of his life - as Elspeth already said, the question about the monarchy in general could have come up with this issue and put Victoria / the SRF in an awkward position.

Unfortunately I believe that the communications people of the Swedish Court are naive enough to believe that is was possible that nobody found out. How amateurish can it get and not for the first time.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Gentry

ruthieviews

I wish Daniel and his father the best of health and a speedy recovery.
My ex-husband had a congenital kidney defect and had the non-working kidney removed when he was 42. He is now 79 and is still enjoying excellent health with just the one kidney.

It is true that some U.S. states allow drivers to indicate whether or not they wish to be organ donors at death. If they have organ donor checked on the back of their driver's license or if relatives so indicate, the person is kept on machines until all organs can be harvested. They can only use organs that were removed from a still living (via machines) donor. Getting a living donor to donate a kidney or part of their liver is difficult. Very few living people indicate they want to donate, except for close family or friends. It is usually a crisis when this happens and the family all get tested for a match to save their friend or relative. If no match is found, the person goes on a waiting list for a donated organ.

Signing the donor card on the back of your license will ensure that, at your death, you may be responsible for returning a dozen people to good health. Donating your organs at death may help two people to see. You may allow a father or mother to continue living with a new heart. A young athlete may be given a second chance with a new liver and two people may find new hope with your two kidneys. Donated skin and tissue can help a half dozen burn victims recover more quickly. Your body and all of it's systems and parts can save a room full of people. If your state does not provide this opportunity, file a "donor card" in your wallet behind your driver's license. Bringing Daniel's medical problem to light will, I hope, give people the incentive to become organ donors.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Gentry

I would not be surprised if Daniel really asked Victoria to proceed with the trip. When I had to undergo a serious operation, I didn't want anyone from my family to be around. Just wanted to bear it stoically and with as little fuss as possible. People are different, and we will never know.
I hope Daniel makes a full recovery. And I think that during our lifetime it will become possible to treat many serious illnesses with the help of stem cells. One of our hospitals has started treating heart failures with stem cells, as they grow and turn into healthy heart tissue.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Lets hope the royal court's claim the this "problem" is not hereditary because if they have children and one of them ends up with a hereditary kidney disease the royal court is going to look real stupid for covering up a serious health problem. If anything being open about such things makes them relevant to the people.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Lets hope the royal court's claim the this "problem" is not hereditary because if they have children and one of them ends up with a hereditary kidney disease the royal court is going to look real stupid for covering up a serious health problem. If anything being open about such things makes them relevant to the people.
If they would know, it is hereditary (autosomal recessive or autosomal dominant) they could get genetical tests and/or preimplantation diagnostics done and only healthy fertilised eggs would get implanted.

But of course there is also a zone, that is difficult to cover. The one with certain diseases being more frequent in some families without an obvious genetic pattern (autosomal recessive or dominant is easy to test. To find multiple genes, which cause e.g. problems with vessles, isn´t)

If Daniel was the first one within his extended family, who had kidney problems and if autosomal recessive at him (and Victoria) can be excluded, they would most likely not have a higher chance of getting a child with kidney diseases than other parents.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

As far as I know, alcohol is not prohibited after a kidney transplant, unless of course, you are receiving a transplant because you drank your old one into oblivion..
Old 05-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
As far as I know, alcohol is not prohibited after a kidney transplant, unless of course, you are receiving a transplant because you drank your old one into oblivion..
AFAIK alcoholics have a hard time to get organs, if they aren´t cured from alcoholism (many might experience a relapse though...isn´t that the Larry Hagman story?)

Since some Immunosuppressants (Ciclosporin A) are toxic for the liver and interfere with many other drugs, which gets metabolised in the liver...keeping the liver healthy, is quite essential for patients.

But I am doubting Daniel would in the future only drink orange juice at galas.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Video of wifey-to-be on Greenland talking about Daniel.
Expressen.tv - Nyhetskanalen - se TV på expressen.se
Victoria: De mår mycket bättre - Nyheter - Expressen.se
She tried to call him on Friday several times and had luck 2 times (bad connection)
His parameters have improved a lot already He is of good cheer and he is feeling a lot better than in a long long time. Now a couple of worrisome days would follow, when one would see, how the body would accept the new kidney.
She says, that it was of course frustrating (to go to Greenland, I guess) but at the same time she couldn´t have done anything at home. She probably would have just sauntered to and fro and would have felt worried.

Sidenote: I am surprised to see the heirs signing a book. Isn´t that something scandi Royals are refusing usually...
Old 05-30-2009, 05:21 AM
Commoner

I can only imagine how stressful this hole issue must have been for Daniel even without the media involved from the beginning, no wonder they wonted too keep it a secret. I really hope he recovers fast.
At least it bring something good, the last couple of days the registerd doners in Sweden have increased.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow! That is great. I hope it works better than it did here in NZ (and not a few other country's) where if a person dies and their Driver's License had "Organ Donor" on it, it basically meant nothing if the family couldn't face making that decision.

It means that you can Will anything the way you want except your body . . . on death apparently, the body is just another part of your "estate" and permission must be sought from the Next-of-Kin or Trustee. So unless you have tattooed it on the inside of your loved one's eyelids bureaucracy will end up negating your expresss decision.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Isn´t that something scandi Royals are refusing usually...
They normally sign visitors books (the Danish ones do anyway, there are pics of F&M from Australia 2005 and others since)

Tags
daniel westling, health problems