The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Gentry

I agree with Countess. I think that it is very odd, INDEEEEED that they should not be together for this. A kidney transplant is a very intense and serious procedure. IMO Victoria should have been there, not only for her fiance, but also to support her future father-in-law and their entire family through this ordeal.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

It is unfortunate news. It is a relief to know that Mr.Westling's father gave him the most precious gift a parent could give to his/her child. At the same time, I agree with Countess and Elspeth noting that Crown Princess Victoria's absence is rather perplexing. It would have been much better if Crown Princess Victoria were near Mr. Westling's bedside. I do wish him speedy recovery. Kidney diseases are a nasty thing to have.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

How surprising. Strange that Victoria isn't there to support him! I hope all goes well and that he recovers quickly...

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 05-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wish him the best also its strange Crown Princess Victoria wasnt their
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well it it is strange that Victoria isn't there. But there may be another reason for it - we have no idea what their personal relationship is like, maybe they dont want to see each other when he is so ill (recovering) or maybe she physically wouldn't handle the stress of the procedure (is better doing something). I'm not saying that this is my opinion (at all), or that I agree with it (again, at all), just that there are possible reasons for her being away.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Daniel ville att Victoria skulle åka - Nyheter - Expressen.se
Expressen tells that Daniel wanted that Victoria goes to her trip. Victoria and Daniel visited Daniel´s parents last weekend and Victoria wanted to cancel her trip but Daniel begged her to to do that.
Westling svårt sjuk – fick ny njure | Aftonbladet
Daniel Westling har fått ny njure - Nyheter - Expressen.se
Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Daniel ville att Victoria skulle åka - Nyheter - Expressen.se
Expressen tells that Daniel wanted that Victoria goes to her trip. Victoria and Daniel visited Daniel´s parents last weekend and Victoria wanted to cancel her trip but Daniel begged her to to do that.
Westling svårt sjuk – fick ny njure | Aftonbladet
Daniel Westling har fått ny njure - Nyheter - Expressen.se
If this claim wouldn´t be by the Lindwall guy, one could believe it maybe
So we remain in the dark...which hopefully won´t stay the same during the day, when journalists can ask her.

If she did go out of sense for duty, she didn´t understand, that "family values" are also "duties" for Royals.

Now all are paying attention to her being away from Sthlm...and none cares for the climate any longer (well, me is doubtful about those trips anyway...but that´s an other story)
Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Serene Highness

It is quite shocking that Daniel had kidney transplantation. I hope everything will be OK. It is wonderful that his dad gave him own kidney. I wish them both to get well asap.

RE Victoria not being with daniel during surgery, we don't know why she wasn't there. Maybe it's true that he asked her not to.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Majesty

with victoria at the hospital it would be a cirkus and maybe and not good for daniel, olle or other patiants.....
Old 05-28-2009, 03:57 AM
Courtier

I wish both Daniel and his father a speedy recovery.

I do understand HRH the King's concern about this marriage as the health of the future prince will be a constant concern in the years to come. He will need to take medication twice a day and go to checkups every month. Sometimes I've heard the body might build a tolerance for the medication so there's always a risk that the body will reject the transplanted organ. Also, Daniel will probably need another transplantation in the future. Although Daniel's father is in good health and lives a healthy lifestyle, the kidney is approx. thirty years older than Daniel is and in general transplanted organs tend not to last as long as "original" ones would. Next time it won't be so easy since he cannot receive any more kidneys from his father. All this means that there will always be a greater than average risk that his health might fail.

I am sure the Crown Princess and everyone concerned have thought about all of this long and hard. Her Royal Highness has no doubtedly decided to take the chance and as we all know, nothing in life is certain. I wish the couple best of luck in the future. As for the trip to Greenland, it has been their mutual decision to go ahead with this and I respect it. There was nothing the Crown Princess could have done in the hospital anyway and I am sure Daniel knew that her thoughts and prayers would be with him.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Courtier

Well, no matter whether he persuaded her to stay away this will IMO cause no good impression in the public eye and should need a comment by the royal court as soon as Viktoria returned (at least it might have been a reason for him not to attend f.i. C-G´s and C-P´s birthdays)
Another point: I don´t want to appear cynical but to announce this operation not long after the engagement might be quite dexterous: Now everybody (including me) who turned up the nose because of being him her "fitnesstrainer" and this strange long waiting for the marriage might now be changed into twinges of remorse like "Oh my God, this poor man is so sick....."
Old 05-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Gentry

Location: Her Royal Highness lives in Beverly Hills California, United States
I understand that there's nothing she can do at the hospital, but I think Victoria just being there would mean a lot. It doesn't look very good to be out with two princes on an engagement when her fiance is getting surgery. Either she had no choice or she's a very strong woman to be apart from her love at such a time like this. I couldn't have done it.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Courtier

I once heard that they nowadays don´t remove the sick kidney so now he might have three of them and his own kidneys might not be so very sick so that he needs the new one only to support his own ones
Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, we don't know what the logic behind it was, to plan both visits at the same time. Maybe bad and unfortunate planning. And indeed, with Victoria there it might very well be more stressful for everybody involved, this way it can be done relatively discreet and with as little fuss for Daniel and his father as possible.

Let's hope it will be succesful!

-
Norwegianne & Lena: thanks for explaining the kidney transplant procedure.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Nobility

Owww I didn't know he needed a kidney transplant! But that for sure explains why he look the way he does around the eye area. Not ment as critizism, it is quite common for people with kidney diseases.

I really hope the new kidney will work and will do so for years and years. And that the body doesn't reject it. Hope the lifelong medication will help him out.

I really feel with the couple, it must be hard from them both. I'm sure there must be some reasonable explanation to why CP Victoria went away, and it might be brought to media at a later point.

I really feel with her, it cannot be good to be away. Hopefully she will be back home soon with her Daniel. (I haven't checked out yet how long she'll stay in Grønland.)

Wishing both Daniel, his father and all family involved all the best.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Heir Apparent

With the way everyone is watching Victoria and Daniel I think any prior notice that Daniel was scheduled for a transplant would have turned the hospital into a media debacle.

Victoria cancelling a scheduled visit would have raised red flags everywhere. People would have been wanting to know if she herself was unwell and if not, why the cancellation. The media would have had pre warning and gone into investigative overdrive. No dumpster would have been safe. And with enough money someone was bound to give (witness the securtity debacle at Buckingham Palace for cold hard cash).

Picture her trying to just visit him in the hospital . . . . it would have been a stressful gauntlet to run, and stressful for him knowing she was having to do it. But in these days of technological wizardry we have the joys of Skype or whatever. They can share the joy of seeing and speaking with each other whenever they please.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

at least for the public the solution of cp victoria being on duty is ODD - but on the other hand, the couple is kind of odd anyway.
The Associated Press: Future Swedish prince has kidney transplant
Kidney transplant for Princess's fiancé - The Local
Fiance of Swedish crown princess undergoes kidney transplant : Europe World
if it was a scheduled procedure why not do it when victoria is around. the greenland trip was planned for ages.

good luck and hope he will be better soon. kidney transplants are no big deal anymore, just look at nicki lauda the formula one racer who is doing as well as usual, even after many years.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post
According to official information from the Swedish court Daniel Westling had the operation today.

Below the official bulletin from the palace in Stockholm:

Information om Daniel Westling

Daniel Westling has today been subjected to a kidney transplantation.
The reason is a congenital but not inherited disease causing impaired renal function. The need for a future kidney transplantation has been known since long. The operation was carried out today as planned without complications. The kidney was donated by the father of the patient. Both the donor and the recipient are doing well.

I wish Daniel all the best
It seems to me that "not inherited disease" means "Victoria's children will not have this kind of problem". That makes me unconfortable because it has an eugenetic sound to me.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I once heard that they nowadays don´t remove the sick kidney so now he might have three of them and his own kidneys might not be so very sick so that he needs the new one only to support his own ones
That's true, my cousin is on her 4th. She was born with cists on her kidneys, with make them weaker and weaker every year until at 17 they failed completly. The doctors told the family to wait until the last minute before rushing to transplant her because whatever fuction remained was better than a transplanted kidney.
Finally, after nothing more could be done to her kidneys, and after a round of dialisis to prepare her body for the operation, her father donated her one of his own. Since her kidneys wheren't removed se had 3. That lasted 13 years. Just 2 weeks ago shehad to have another transplant, this time her mother's kidney, since the one from her father had "died" too.
Mother and daughter are fine now and recovering at home. But they know that in the future she probably will have to face yet another transplant, this time from one of her sisters.

So that's one posibly outcome for daniel I guess.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Nobility

Probably this is the reason for the fact that the wedding is set to be next year, summer....

I suspect that there are lots of problems we cannot imagine, however...

Tags
daniel westling, health problems