It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the name, Estelle, although like many people I had expected a more Swedish / Scandinavian name. I believe that Lady Helen Taylor (The Duke of Kent's daughter) has a daughter called Estelle.

I'm not surprised that Madeleine wasn't at the naming ceremony / Thanksgiving. I'm sure that her New York diary had been centered around an expected March birth. It may not have been feasible to leave New York (work, duties etc.) at such short notice.

Am looking forward to seeing her at the christening. I hope that Chris comes too. :flowers:

Are there any pictures of Estelle Bernadotte from the time Victoria likely first met her (around 1982?) I had an aunt who was married to my mother's brother and for me as a child she was the symbol for good-heartedness and elegance. I always wanted to name my daughter after her (her name was Lucienne, she was half-French, of the Alsace) but alas, there was no daughter....

So I can imagine that little Victoria might have been impressed by aunt Estelle and her cosmopolitain background as American heiress, tragic widow, found a new love and worked for charity, especially UNICEF which is one of the first charities children normally get to know.

Isn't it time to change the forum "Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family"?

Of course Beatrix sounds queenly. Whether Mette Marit sounds queenly is beside the point as she married into the royal family and will only be a queen consort. I mean, Charlene is not a queenly name (it makes me think of the Australian soap Neighbours) but it doesn't really matter for her.

It's interesting, though, that Kate uses Catherine officially, partly I'm sure because 'Queen Kate' is not nearly as regal as 'Queen Catherine'.
I don't think that Beatrix immediately sounds queenly. In fact, I don't think any name sounds queenly until the woman proves that she lives up to her duty and carries out her obligations well.

Are there any pictures of Estelle Bernadotte from the time Victoria likely first met her (around 1982?) I had an aunt who was married to my mother's brother and for me as a child she was the symbol for good-heartedness and elegance. I always wanted to name my daughter after her (her name was Lucienne, she was half-French, of the Alsace) but alas, there was no daughter....

So I can imagine that little Victoria might have been impressed by aunt Estelle and her cosmopolitain background as American heiress, tragic widow, found a new love and worked for charity, especially UNICEF which is one of the first charities children normally get to know.
This occurred to me yesterday. How like Victoria to name her chil after such and interesting woman and by way of that call attention to her martyred husband. I certainly would never have known of him otherwise.

As far as her sister not there, that's simply ridiculous. She'll have plenty of time to be a good aunt. Absence on certain high profile events doesn't prove or disprove anything imo and some families place such a high value on such things and have bitter fights over them.:bang:

I'm assuming Crown Princess Mary might be a godmother since that is one of her middle names. I like that idea!

Lets cool it for a while :)! OK, we don't know what's happening behind palace walls; we don't know the true extent of the friendships between the younger royals and who means what to whom!
I agree that there's a possibility that the last first name is a reference to CP Mary, it's even tempting to believe so because of the close relations between the two families BUT: unless I hear it from the horse's mouth I'll leave it there!

viv

Last edited:
This occurred to me yesterday. How like Victoria to name her chil after such and interesting woman and by way of that call attention to her martyred husband. I certainly would never have known of him otherwise.

Was Victoria with the Girl Scouts? That would have been another possibility to hear more about Estelle Bernadotte...

First, congratulations to new parents, all the best for them and little princess :flowers: (I thought that it will be boy, they surprised me).

I like that it was no fuss, Victoria came, gave birth and left, no red carpet and cameras. Now we must wait for the photos. Birth was quick, I think it because she's fit, sporty women usually have easier delivery.

About the names, I'm confused, still in little shock I think. Estelle is pretty name, very girly and delicate. But princess Estelle and queen Estelle still doesn't work for me, maybe it's matter of time. Silvia and Ewa - totally normal choices, after both grandmothers. I don't get Mary, don't think it's after CPss of Denmark as future grandmother (Victoria is much closer to MM, she could also name child after other potential grandparent), it's not Swedish form of that name. I miss some traditional name, at least it's future queen of Sweden.

I applaud their choice of names although at the moment we don't know the special meaning behind Estelle or Mary. By starting their own traditions with Silvia and Ewa they have up-dated the royal names. Desideria or Desiree started when a french woman suddenly became part of a royal couple. Not very swedish or traditional. All names and dynasties start somewhere. CP Victoria and P Daniel are recognizing the current family lines and that is great.

We don't know if either of these names chosen had a very special meaning to P Lilian. There has been some issues raised with them not choosing to recognize her, but perhaps they are. We just don't know.

Last edited:
announcing the birth at 7.00 a.m. where everybody was still asleep,
Well, I don't know how it is in your country, but in Sweden both schools and work often begins at 8 a.m. so most people in Sweden was up and preparing for school or work or on their way to work, and breakfast tv was sending the press conference so I guess that lots of people got the news at 7 a.m., which probably was the reason for giving the announcement at that time. I ended my shift at 7 a.m. and stayed on for a couple of minutes to hear the news, most of my collegues was also watching the press conference.

Announcing about the birth on 07.00 was a good time. Also here in Finland the work starts on 07.00 or 08.00, and schools often on 08.00.

Madeleine can´t fly to Sweden to meet Estelle until after Monday, when she has a UN-development seminar, which ends on 13.00 on Monday.
Because the seminar isn´t at the royal calendar at the website, I assume that it one of her Childhood duties.
Därför kommer Madde hit först nästa vecka | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

Director of the information department, Bertil Ternert tells that Madeleine has gotten a lot of photos of Estelle and she has talked a lot with Victoria during the last days. The seminar/forum Madeleine attends will focus on private charitable organizations´ participation in international humanitarian relief and development work.
Därför stannar hon kvar i USA | Babylyckan | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Last edited:
LadyFinn said:

Is this for the baby's naming ceremony?
The princes look happy, prince Daniel is grinning with happiness,prince Carl Philip looks happy for his sister and queen silver is happy to become a grandmother abd happy for her daughter as for the king..I'm wondering why he looks so serious/ surprised in the photo?

It will be a national event like the danish christenings. It will likely take place in the royal palace church in about 2 or 3 months. It will be televised in the swedish television and there will guests from most of the european royal houses.
I'm already looking forward to it :)

I am also looking forward to it and hope, that we interested people outside Sweden will be able to watch it.

After playing with the name - and realizing that very soon the little one will have a face, be a toddler, start speaking, and all the rest - in short, be a darling person connected to the name - the name will be (and is) fine. :flowers:

My mother's name was Stella. The name was popular a century ago (why films and tv shows use it to indicate 'age') and then for a long period fell into dis-usue until Paul McCartney named one of his daughters Stella - and it, and its variations, has had a come-back.

I am reminded that apparently the King told Victoria regarding marriage that - in so may words - it was wisest to marry for love rather than dynastic reasons, because one has one's life for all of one's life - being royal can end - one never knows what the future will bring. Good, sensible advice.

So it must be regarding naming one's children. In the end, one's life is the most important because being royal can vaporize in the moods - and a vote - of a populace. Satisfy oneself - which looks like Victoria and Daniel have done while still keeping to within family tradition.

Queen Elizabeth once referred to the Scandinavian and Continental monarchies as 'bicycle monarchies'. In the end, these monarchies have modernized more seamlessly it seems than the British one that is so tradition bound. They are more part of the real-world life. Princes marrying educated and career women are the norm. Princes - and Princesses - themselves, have significant jobs in the world - and as it turns out, are still able to show off with plenty of bling and majesty and pomp for the right occasions. They seem less prisoners of their royal roles. (I could be mistaken but when you hear about the whole Swedish family going food shopping together on Sunday afternoons - you know something is different).

Many pages back, some posters were commenting on what a 'common' name Estelle was and that the British monarchy would never stoop so 'low'. Yet it might be a good thing for them to so do. ;) What better way to 'modernize' the monarchy than to have a future King Trevor-James? :)

Last edited:
I'm hoping to see a picture of the Princess on Monday. I guess tomorrow would be too soon and the people responsible for publicizing it may not be at work on Sunday.

agami.pearl;1376264 I don't get Mary said:
Victoria is much closer to MM, she could also name child after other potential grandparent)

How do you know she is much closer to MM?

Last edited:
About the time of the announcement: I woke up 05.50 that day and as i usually do i checked SVT text to see if anything worth noticing had happened the day(like Hamasiege lifted or that the bombardment still continued or the results for NHL) and saw the following headling "Crown princess Victoria at Karolinska to give birth". I phone my parents to have them turn on the TV. Then i ate breakfast and almost panicked when SVT had no sound when Tenert spoke and switched to TV4. After hearing that Daniel would tell something at 07 i started getting ready for work.

When Daniel came out i was standing fully clothed and waited for him to speak to go to work. After his announcement i wrote a bit here and then run to work and got there with a few minutes to spare.

What we talked about on the break? Take a guess:ROFLMAO:

On the lunchbreak i sat in front of the TV watching the gunsalute.

When i finished on that day i bought the extra edition of Aftonbladet with Daniels pressconfrences.

The day after was just a long wait for the name. We were 10-15 people in front of the TV that said "WHAT?" when Estelle was pronounced the given name and then we went "Hmm, that might work, sounds good"

And the name of the daughter of Victoria of Sweden and Daniel ... Princess Mary Estelle Silvia Ewa

La hija de Victoria y Daniel de Suecia se llama Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary

Google Google Translate

Victoria of Sweden acknowledges the congratulations on the birth of his daughter: "It's overwhelming the amount of messages we have received '

http://www.hola.com/noticias-de-actualidad/25-02-2012/89794/casasreales/

http://translate.google.com.tr/tran...ualidad/25-02-2012/89794/casasreales/&act=url

Last edited:
Ockelbo has sent a gift to the little Princess. It's a book full of pictures of her father's hometown.
Google Translate

I am sure the name Estelle will grow on us in a positive way after a time. Did the couple give the media a chat while leaving the hospital, in the way Fred and Mary do?

I am sure the name Estelle will grow on us in a positive way after a time. Did the couple give the media a chat while leaving the hospital, in the way Fred and Mary do?

No, but Victoria left the hospital about 8 hours after she gave birth, so probably she just wanted to go home.

I'm confused now - is she Estelle or is she Mary? The article has her as Princess Mary. :confused:

It's wrong. Her first name is Estelle and her last middle name is Mary. :)

I'm confused now - is she Estelle or is she Mary? The article has her as Princess Mary. :confused:

Estelle. The King announced that's the name she will be known by. It's just the effect of Google Translate. Run your mouse over it and the original Spanish text says 'princesa Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary'.

How do you know she is much closer to MM?

I am not the poster but Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel have been see "hanging out" with Prince Haakon and his Wife, outside royal duties, more often so i would have assumed as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom