It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Estelle is certainly not an upper class name in the UK. It would be considered similar to the Chantals and Tracys of this world. The landlady of the Rovers Returns pub on Coronation Street is called Stella and I can't help but think of her every time I read the princess's name.

It would be like William and Kate deciding to call their firstborn Trevor or Kevin. It just would not happen.

Upper class parents in the UK tend to go for old fashioned names. For example, the most popular boys names for parents who announced their sons' birth in The Times last year were William and Harry.

Kevin is considered a bit trashy in UK, too? Wow, didn't know that (I knew it wasn't used by the upper class, though). I'm sure William and Kate will give their children lovely traditional names, BTW. I like the names the British upper class usually uses for their children A LOT! :flowers:

Sorry for being a bit Off Topic.

I like the name Estelle. It is an Old French name which was derived from the Latin stella, meaning "star". In the U.S., the name is pronounced Es-tell. I imagine the pronounciation of the baby's name will be Es-tel-ah, in the Latin tradition. I think it is a lovely name. She can change it when she ascends, or use one of her other names if she doesn't like it.

Again, congratulations to Victoria, Daniel and the King and Queen.

Estelle? Queen Estelle? How do the Swedish pronounce that? Is it like 'Estellah/Stellah' in English - with the 'uh' or 'ah' sound at the end? Or is it with a silent 'e' as 'Estell/Stell'? Or is there some other manner of pronunciation?

Queen Estell - I dunno.

Queen Estellah - sounds okay. Sounds okay. Princess Estellah – a little lisp there 'ss-es' but okay.

They pronounce it "Estell".
I don't like it, it sounds so trashy.

A swedish historian wrote an article in the swedish equlation of "The Sun".
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/babylyckan/article14425349.ab

Translated:

- It's really unexpected and not appropriate, Herman Lindqvist said.
The new princess has just gotten her name.
It's really unexpected and not appropriate that a future queen of Sweden will be named Estelle. It's against all tradition and experience. The only Estelle in the Swedish Royal House History is not swedish but an american millionaire daughter who married Folke Bernadotte. (NOTE from Natalia Elisabeth: not really true, Estelle is the name of CP Victorias cousins daughter) From what I know the CP has never met her, Herman Lindqvist tells Aftonbladet.
In Aftonbladets live-coverage the author contiuned to be horrified about the name.
- It sounds like the name of a night-club queen. It is against all swedish tradtions.
Herman Lindqvist belongs in CP Victorias closets circle, and he have been her history teacher and written a book about her.
They have not discussed names, he say.

Herman Lindqvist say that he understands that the CP couple have chosen the name because "they like it."
- But this is a part in abolishing the monarchy. Estelle is not an appropriate name for a future swedish sovereign and queen.
He doesn't like the other names either.
- It's nothing wrong with Ewa, but it's not a royal name. I don't understand "Mary" either, the swedish version is Maria.

Sorry for my english, and if this has already been coverred.

I wish they could've done CP Frederik and CP Mary of Denmark made with Vincent (making Frederik a middlename) if she had to be named Estelle.

i little Princess ...how wonderful:)
can't wait to see her pics.congratulations to the happy blessed Parents.

My, my. I hope no one here is named Estelle. Could be very hurtful. We don't know what our real names are and I am sure that these boards aren't populated only with people of elegant name.

Last edited:
The name Estelle really surprised me, I think I'll have to get used to it :ermm: so far it doesn't sound very regal to me nor very "young" (I imagine an old lady when I hear the name, to be honest).
I hope she will have a cute nickname like Stella or something else.

Estelle is certainly not an upper class name in the UK. It would be considered similar to the Chantals and Tracys of this world. The landlady of the Rovers Returns pub on Coronation Street is called Stella and I can't help but think of her every time I read the princess's name.

It is exactly the same in Germany. Elisabeth, Maximilian, Alexander and Mathilda yes, but Kevin, Justin, Chantal and Jolie no, when you consider yourself upper middle-class or upper class. That is what i meant with "Kevinismus"-topic.

(from german wiki: Kevinismus:Due to the unusually sudden popularity of the name came from the idea of Kevin Kevinismus (by first name or Chantalismus Chantal ) for jokingly referred to as disease propensity of parents to their children unusual, exotic names to give [4] [5] . "That sounds kevinistisch" says about Will Smith Men in Black II to his ex-partner who lives under the alias Kevin Brown.
One of the University of Oldenburg wrote master's thesis [6] According to generate specific names of students actually prejudices on the side of teachers. The name Kevin put some close to the teachers that the student had behavioral disorders as well as less powerful and more from the lower class get. Whether or not a student but will also be treated worse, did not work out coherently. [7]

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FKevinismus%23.E2.80.9EKevinismus.E2.80.9C

The king pronounced it Estell.
About Herman Lindqvist, he has written a lot of books about royals, even a book of Victoria. He has always acted like a wise, old professor and gentleman. This outburst of that the name is horrible surprised me. One royal expert, Roger Lundgren, said at Aftonbladet´s studio that Lindqvist shouldn´t have been so harsh and rude, and that it could affect to Lindqvist´s work.
After all, the king must accept the name before it is published. Did Lindqvist think about that at all, and how his outburst could affect to his work and his position. He was invited to Victoria´s and Daniel´s wedding and he has always presented himself as a friend and admirer of Victoria.

Oh, the name is horrible :sad: I was so excited yesterday (late congratulations to Victoria and Daniel from me :flowers:) and so disappointed today. I think among all the names of children of the Crown Prince couples this is the worst. Someone could say that Victoria and Daniel had the right to choose whatever name they liked, but I don`t agree, they are simply not a normal couple, they should choose a royal name fit for a future queen :bang: Queen Estelle of Sweden? Really?
And the other names don`t match each other at all. Plus it`s like Silvia is German, Ewa Polish (I know it`s after Daniel`s mother, but in this spelling is does look Polish to me, I can`t help it) and Mary English. And the baby is a Swedish princess... weird.

Kevin or Trevor, like Estelle or Tracy, are not trashy so much as they're just a bit naff. Kind of 1970s style. One of my middle names is Daphne, for instance, and I find it a bit embarrassing to be honest.

I'm surprised they didn't give the little princess a more regal first name and Estelle as a middle name. They could refer to her as Estelle, but ensure that the more royal name would be used in formal settings.

It doesn't have real lower class associations in the United States; it's just seen as old. It was last popular around the 1920s and would be most familiar as the name of older women. Back at the turn of the 20th century it would have been seen as elegant, wealthy-sounding, fancy and French. The Estelle the baby is named after was a wealthy American socialite and that's probably the image Americans had of it.

My first impression of it today is that it's a rather elegant name that I could easily see on a continental royal. If the baby looks like her mother, it's a name that should suit her very well. The Swedes will just have to get used to it.

Estelle according to my name lexicon is a form of "Esther" who was a biblical queen and quite a heroine.

The meaning is not only "star" but in the sense of love's star with references to Venus/Aphrodite the goddess of love and babylonean Ishtar, also the goddess of love in that culture.

Victoria with her very regal name had to fight a long fight for her love till she was allowed to marry Daniel. Then he was so ill. I know quite some people who make wishes upon a star when they see a falling staron the horizon. We don't know if Victoria and Daniel on a clear night in Ockelbo, pre-engagement, saw such a falling star and wished they could marry and have children. And decided to name their first daughter "Estelle". But that's a possibility.

Against the odds Victoria got Daniel.
Against the odds he turned out to be a picture-perfect prince.
Now they got a beautiful baby.
And obviously against all (!) odds they named her Estelle.

I think this is romantic and that's what people search for in V&D.

I like the name Estelle. It is an Old French name which was derived from the Latin stella, meaning "star". In the U.S., the name is pronounced Es-tell. I imagine the pronounciation of the baby's name will be Es-tel-ah, in the Latin tradition. I think it is a lovely name. She can change it when she ascends, or use one of her other names if she doesn't like it.

Again, congratulations to Victoria, Daniel and the King and Queen.
I agree. A very old fashioned name indeed. And, when it all comes down to liking it......what we think doesn't matter......Victoria & Daniel [the only people that matters] do like it.

BTW, most people didn't like the name Vincent for Mary & Fred's young son.....now people are comfortable with it.

One scenario that for some reason keeps playing through my mind is both Victoria and Daniel hovering over the wee one's bed singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". :)

Kevin or Trevor, like Estelle or Tracy, are not trashy so much as they're just a bit naff. Kind of 1970s style. One of my middle names is Daphne, for instance, and I find it a bit embarrassing to be honest.

I'm surprised they didn't give the little princess a more regal first name and Estelle as a middle name. They could refer to her as Estelle, but ensure that the more royal name would be used in formal settings.

Oh, I don't find Daphne embarrassing at all. :flowers: It's different, but it has an interesting origin. Thanks for the explanation. Personally, I don't think Kevin is a bad name at all (I have a soft spot for Ireland and it has a nice meaning), but it was just used too often and of course it sounds silly in German or French. Kevin Teissier or Kevin Müller just doesn't sound too great. :p

And I agree - Estelle as a middle name, no problem. It's a nice name, just not as a first name for a future Swedish Queen.

Oh come on, girls. What ever does define a regal name? A name of a person who was a regent at one time or another! And every single name has at one time had a first in line. Little Estelle could very well be a first in line of a big regal name. Maybe in 300 years it is a common regal name all over europe. Who knows? We just have to get used to this rather new name in the royal circus. That's all. And when it's time for Estelle to take over as Queen she'll be no-one else than Estelle for everyone of us. Just like a lot of people have already gotten used to Prince Vincent of Denmark. Because I remember some very similar discussions a year ago over in the danish forum. And when it's time for Mini-Marie to be christened Estelle is already old news.

Wow trashy? I don't think so lol

Wow, you guys might not like the name but that's no excuse for being plain rude. I also think that the so-called expert calling the name a name for a nightclub Queen was incredibly inappropriate. If little Estelle herself don't like or find the name suiting, she has three other names to pick from.

Last edited:
I didn't label her a chav. I simply stated the name has those overtones in the UK. It's a name which would be more likely to be used by those on the lower end of the socio economic spectrum in the UK.

You mean people like Lady Helen Taylor? Isnt her daughter Estelle Taylor?

I'm sure like every other royal name, we'll all get accustomed to it and it'll eventually grow on us.

Ah! That's why I thought it sounds elegant in BE. :p It's Estella Taylor.
No really, I've always liked the combo as much as I like the combo Lady Penelope Romsey.

It was not a name people were waiting to hear, but I have to say I really like Estelle, it is sweet and femine. It looks that it also has meaning for Victoria & Daniel so even better. The only problem for me is that the whole name does not flow well at all, I'd change it to Estelle Silvia Ewa Marie, or even used Marianne instead of Mary, it has better flow IMO.

According to Bertil Ternert no further visits to the doctors at Karolinska University Hospital are planned
- She (Victoria) is doing just fine. Everything has gone very well that the doctors have confirmed. So there are no such plans, says Ternert.
He also says:
- The Prince has been happy all the time.
Princess Madeleine is now the only family member who has not yet met the new princess. But according to Bertil Ternert is a return trip now planned.
- There are plans for her to come in the near future. But exactly what day I have not been informed of, he says.
When can there be a photo released?
- The family is aware of the demand for a quick photo They were quick with the first photo so they will be quick now too.
Estelles namn hölls hemligt in i det sista | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

Last edited:
I admit I wasn't a fan of the name when I first saw it. Estelle is a name that seems fairly old to me (as in someone who was born in the 1910s). But it's slowly starting to grow on me.
I'm not bothered by it not being a more traditional Swedish name because to me Victoria's not the least bit Swedish.

Last edited:
Estelle according to my name lexicon is a form of "Esther" who was a biblical queen and quite a heroine.

The meaning is not only "star" but in the sense of love's star with references to Venus/Aphrodite the goddess of love and babylonean Ishtar, also the goddess of love in that culture.

Victoria with her very regal name had to fight a long fight for her love till she was allowed to marry Daniel. Then he was so ill. I know quite some people who make wishes upon a star when they see a falling staron the horizon. We don't know if Victoria and Daniel on a clear night in Ockelbo, pre-engagement, saw such a falling star and wished they could marry and have children. And decided to name their first daughter "Estelle". But that's a possibility.

Against the odds Victoria got Daniel.
Against the odds he turned out to be a picture-perfect prince.
Now they got a beautiful baby.
And obviously against all (!) odds they named her Estelle.

I think this is romantic and that's what people search for in V&D.
I absolutely love your imagination.
This reminds me of the Vincent brouha ha. If you don't like the name, we all have our own associations, don't be rude. That professor was absolutely insulting to the new parents!
Names obviously have different connotations in different countries, that is what is so interesting about these boards. For example, Kevin a trashy name? Not in the US!
As I mentioned earlier, I was going to name a daughter Estelle as it is in our family. However, I would have called her Ella.
Nicknames are another controversial topic on these boards:ohmy:

Regarding the "Mary" after Crown Princess Mary and the discussion that she will therefore be one of Estelle's godmothers, I have to express my disagreement.

I think that as the baby girl is the first born and future crown princess they will go for Crown Prince Frederik. I also think that Victoria is much closer to him than she is to Mary. Maybe they opt for both Mary and Frederik as happened in Christian's case whose godparents are both Haakon and Mette-Marit.

When do the Swedish royals usually have their children christened? We know in Denmark that they babies are around 4 months.

They all look so incredibly happy. Queen Silvia and Daniel can not stop smiling. I wish King Carl Gustaf could consider following their example. Come on your Majesty, you had your first grandchild yesterday.
When my parents had their first grandchild 2 years ago they couldn't stop smiling and laughing for an entire week! They loved the whole world!! :)

Last edited:

As I said in my post, it tends to be a name used by those in a lower socio economic group. I did not say that was exclusively so.

I guess the name Estelle must be important for the swedish royal family, because the granddaughter of princess Désirée is also Estelle.

Regarding the "Mary" after Crown Princess Mary and the discussion that she will therefore be one of Estelle's godmothers, I have to express my disagreement.

I think that as the baby girl is the first born and future crown princess they will go for Crown Prince Frederik. I also think that Victoria is much closer to him than she is to Mary. Maybe they opt for both Mary and Frederik as happened in Christian's case whose godparents are both Haakon and Mette-Marit.

When do the Swedish royals usually have their children christened? We know in Denmark that they babies are around 4 months.
Victoria was 2½ months old, so little Estelle could be baptised in mid/late April, perhaps the week before her grandfather's birthday on April 30th.

As for Mary as a godmother, if Victoria and Daniel have planned for either Hakon of Norway and/or Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands as one of the godfathers, it makes sence with Mary from Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom