It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Estelle- ooooh how could they :eek:. Can you imagine a Queen Estelle?:bang:

I'm not. I think it's terrible. It reminds me of an aged, thin, French prostitute with lipstick on her teeth and a fuzzy wig. I'm sorry. :sad:

Also strange is to me, that the name is not at all Swedish.

Can you imagine the siblings are called?

After all is now clear who is godmother: Mary of Denmark

I'm surprised by their choice of name and still have get used to it. I personally preferred a more traditional name and I have to confess that I'm disappointed they didn't go for a Swedish name as first name.
Anyway, all the best to little Princess Estelle and their parents, hoping for pictures soon :)

Will the first picture of the little princess be published today?

Estelle was my husband's grandmother's name and Aunt's name. Here in the US it is a very old fashioned name, along the lines of Helen, Minnie, Martha, Beatrice....but seems to be resurrected now as Stella, which has become a very hot, trendy new name in the past couple of years.
Because my husband's father and grandfather both married very late in life, this grandmother Estelle was born in the late 1800's. She was a VERY regal, cultured and well traveled lady, as was my husband's Aunt Estelle who was presented to the Court of St. James in 1930.
I was going to used the name if we had a girl, only boys however.
The name seems to have a lot of family and precedence in the SWF.

I like the name. I would guess it is one that is going to come back into fashion.

I did not realize Folke Bernadotte's wife was born in Pleasantville- I grew up just a few miles away! Now I am starting to feel better about the name "Estelle.":lol: Although I found I was already getting used to it, after a few hours. It's not a bad name, really- just very unexpected!

Seeing how thrilled Victoria and Daniel are, and keeping in mind what is going on in the Netherlands, I guess a non-traditional baby name does not seem like such a big deal, after all...

I'm not. I think it's terrible. It reminds me of an aged, thin, French prostitute with lipstick on her teeth and a fuzzy wig. I'm sorry. :sad:

Exactly my thought too :bang:

Ha ha. Isn't it funny how different names are seen in different countries? I didn't know that Estelle was quite popular and considered an old-fashioned name in England and in the US. But when I think about it Estelle does sound classy/posh when pronounced with a British accent. Not sure about Sweden, though. But if the parents are happy and the people of Sweden are okay with it, so be it I think. :)

In Germany of course names like Chantal or Kevin and the like are considered trashy. Not that the names ARE trashy, but they don't sound good there and are used only by rather illiterate people. I actually thought it was the same in Sweden, Spain and some other European countries.

However, now that I've read it so often today the name is beginning to grow on me. I would have preferred a traditional one though. I can understand that Victoria and Daniel wanted to choose something unique, but as the girl is going to be Queen of Sweden a Nordic name would have been nice.

Can't wait for the first pictures of little Princess Estelle now! :flowers: When are the pics to be expected?? (sorry if this was asked before)

and for me intrested in jewllery i would love to see queen sofias of sweden tiara later worn by estelle bernadotte worn by queen estelle of sweden my fingers crossed

Jag tycker om namnet!!!! Estelle is really great as name! I'm thinking: poor, poor Christian with all this girls that will become queens ;)

Congratulations to all and I'm sure baby Estelle is totally gorgeous! With the sad news from Holland this morning this is a welcome blessing!:flowers:

All I can think of is Estelle Getty who played Sophia on Golden Girls. Sophia was a riot! Perhaps silliness runs through little Estelle's bones...

In Germany of course names like Chantal or Kevin and the like are considered trashy. Not that the names ARE trashy, but they don't sound good there and are used only by rather illiterate people. I actually thought it was the same in Sweden, Spain and some other European countries.
:ROFLMAO:
It is a mixture out of "Cindy of Marzahn" or the "Kevinismus"-topic and the "Golden Girls", which does not make it better. And somehow Estelle reminds me of a character in "the Nanny" (her granny):
http://sharetv.org/shows/the_nanny/cast/yetta_rosenberg

Last edited:
I am very suprised by the name.Still,I think it's a very pretty name.

I like the name Estelle but just can't picture it on a Queen of Sweden! But I guess like with all children they grow and make the name their own! When little Josephine of Denmark was named I thought it was a terrible choice, like an old lady name, but now I can't picture her as anything else!

If she looks like her mother then she will be adorable.

Sorry, it´s just mt opinion, but the name sound wrong to me. I think "Estelle" is quite lovely, but "Princess Estelle" is awful and "Queen Estelle" is even worse.
Silvia and Ewa are of course nice in honour of the grandmothers, but they sound strange after "Estelle", like if they didn´t match. And after all that, Mary in English... quite odd combination.
I´m quite dissapointed by the name, but I guess it´ll grow up on me :flowers:

what is the word in denmark do they talk about Estelle having a name after the danish crown princess Mary

Estelle? Queen Estelle? How do the Swedish pronounce that? Is it like 'Estellah/Stellah' in English - with the 'uh' or 'ah' sound at the end? Or is it with a silent 'e' as 'Estell/Stell'? Or is there some other manner of pronunciation?

Queen Estell - I dunno.

Queen Estellah - sounds okay. Sounds okay. Princess Estellah – a little lisp there 'ss-es' but okay.

Estelle is certainly not an upper class name in the UK. It would be considered similar to the Chantals and Tracys of this world. The landlady of the Rovers Returns pub on Coronation Street is called Stella and I can't help but think of her every time I read the princess's name.

It would be like William and Kate deciding to call their firstborn Trevor or Kevin. It just would not happen.

Upper class parents in the UK tend to go for old fashioned names. For example, the most popular boys names for parents who announced their sons' birth in The Times last year were William and Harry.

great name!!!! at last a name original!

I don't really like the name... Estelle... who knows; maybe the name will grow to us. ;)

My first association was with Estelle Getty. "Sophia" on the Golden Girls.

Yes, unfortunately I made the same leap as well. I'm not a fan of this name at all, but as long as she's a healthy baby that's all that matters. I wish her a lifetime of happiness and joy.

Last edited:
I say let the actions of the princess define her. not some prejudices about the girl.

When I first heard it :eek:
... but the names has grown on me, Estelle Bernadotte sounds unbelievably cute. Princess Estelle and Crown Princess Estelle also has a ring to it, Queen Estelle will probably take some time getting used to, but hopefully it wont be relevant to call her Queen Estelle for quite some time.

I was hoping that Lilian was included in the name, that would have been a nice homage to Princess Lilian. I'm pretty sure that CP Mary will be a godmother :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom