It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it matters, but in the UK Estelle is the kind of name you could imagine a barmaid having. It's a touch chavish in my opinion.

Then again, all that matters is that the parents like it.
Ouch! Give the wee lass time to grow into it before labelling her a chav!

Exactly my thought when I saw "Mary" was included. I guess this hopeful fact can make up for the name Estelle!
Does anyone else think of George's mother from Seinfeld immediately after hearing her name? :lol:

My first association was with Estelle Getty. "Sophia" on the Golden Girls.

There is a Mary in the Bernadotte family tree. I really don't believe that they name their daughter after CP Mary of Denmark.
I don't know any Mary in the Bernadotte family, whom do you mean? More likely it's after a future godmother.

Estelle is of French origin and means "star". :flowers:

EIIR said:
Not that it matters, but in the UK Estelle is the kind of name you could imagine a barmaid having. It's a touch chavish in my opinion.

Then again, all that matters is that the parents like it.

It probably has different connotations in Sweden. I was hoping for something more traditional.

The name is in use since the 16. century and means "beautiful star". On becoming queen she can always choose Silvia as her regal name.

:previous:
Lovely name :) and agree with you about regal name ;)
:swedenflag: Princess Estelle Silvia Eva Mary :princess3: :swedenflag:

Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary
I like Estelle, to me it is a fresh name and very suitable for a little girl.
There are a lot of names I wouldn´t have liked: Josefine, Hedvig, Sibylla...

And it is lovely that they put both Silvia and Ewa to the name.
Maybe we will hear why they chose Mary, later? ´

Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister said that the little Estelle is just like her mother when she was a child.

Is Ewa the Swedish equivalent of Eva? Pardon my ignorance, I am just curious.

I hope someone can translate what the minister said for me, a poor single-language speaker :-( It sounded like he was going into each of the names.

csw said:
I hope someone can translate what the minister said for me, a poor single-language speaker :-( It sounded like he was going into each of the names.

I'd also like a translation of what the King said.

Ouch! Give the wee lass time to grow into it before labelling her a chav!

I didn't label her a chav. I simply stated the name has those overtones in the UK. It's a name which would be more likely to be used by those on the lower end of the socio economic spectrum in the UK.

As I said, I'm sure it has different connotations in Sweden.

I think that Mary is in no relation to the Crown Princess of Denmark. Mary is a popular name within the royal circles.

Also only because she bears the name Mary doesn't mean the Princess Mary will be her Godmother. I assume that the Crown Princess (or the Crown Princely Couples) of Denmark and Norway together with Victoria's siblings and Daniel's sister will be chosen as Godparents. I can imagine that Victoria and Daniel save Mary, Mette-Marit and Madeleine to be Godparents of their second child :)))

I like it. It will be at bit strange to hear H.M Queen Estelle I but i like it

My first association was with Estelle Getty. "Sophia" on the Golden Girls.

:previous: HAHA so so far the Princess' namesakes (in regards to the very first name as opposed to second) were born in the range of 1907-1930s. Two of which are no longer alive and two are fictional. Hmmm...

I really wish they would have at least switched Silvia and Estelle in the name order :sad:

Princess Estelle
Crown Princess Estelle
Queen Estelle

The last two seem strange to me but I guess I'll get used to it.

Is it not possible that the Mary is a tribute to the most famous Mary of all? Not a Danish princess but the one who gave birth to the baby Jesus in Bethlehem?

I wonder if her nickname will be Ulrika? :flowers:

Estelle Silvia's father is known by his second name, not as Olof but as Daniel. Maybe they will do that as well when it comes to her "official" name like the Dutch do it, too?

RoyalEnquirer said:
Is Ewa the Swedish equivalent of Eva? Pardon my ignorance, I am just curious.

Her paternal Grand mother's name Ewa with w

I love the name!!!

It's different than a usual royal name but has history behind it too.

I didn't label her a chav. I simply stated the name has those overtones in the UK. It's a name which would be mor e likely to be used by those on the lower end of the socio economic spectrum in the UK.

As I said, I'm sure it has different connotations in Sweden.
Badly stated on my part. I meant labelling her with the connotation of a Chav Barmaid. I just about fell off my chair laughing. It's almost as bad as the connection to the Golden Girls . . . . . .:lol:

Is it not possible that the Mary is a tribute to the most famous Mary of all? Not a Danish princess but the one who gave birth to the baby Jesus in Bethlehem?

Yes that is also my guess.
As it is the way for all Belgian princes and princesses. They all have the name Marie/Maria in there name.

In that case her name should have been Maria in Swedish, not Mary.

Estelle is a real surprise to me - i really like the name and its something different i think for a princess

Yes that is also my guess.
As it is the way for all Belgian princes and princesses. They all have the name Marie/Maria in there name.

Lutherans don't traditionally have the same naming as the Catholic church - including Mary or Maria in the name.

According to Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the little princess is an image of Victoria when she was a baby.
"She has the same hair, nose and eyes"

I think I will get used to the name. :flowers:

I never saw Estelle coming, but after some 20 minutes since the announcement, it already feels better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom