The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I'ts not a commong thing in Sweden to use nicknames like it is in USA. Estelle will most likely only be called Estelle in Sweden.
Hasse, Lasse, Kurre, Kalle, Lisbeth, Magda, Marre, Stina..... Swedish names are very often made into nicknames.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

We will see and hear, if Victoria and Daniel use nicknames of their daughter. So far it isn´t announced that they will call her Stella or on some other nickname.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
I completely agree with you there. If parents want a Stella, they should name her Stella. Giving one name but using the other is like buying a dog and calling it "cat". Idiotic IMO.

Well, you weren't asking me but I answer nontheless. No, I didn't have a nickname. My mother did go by a nickname almost all her life and she hated it. No one would call her by her real name even when she asked them to do it. The only one who did was my dad. They didn't want this trouble for their children so my siblings and I got names whick couldn't be shortened or changed into something either sugary cute or plain idiotic. And we're all more than thankful for this thinking behind our names.

Never heard someone be insulted by a nickname. You seem a bit deffensive. I have never liked a nickname, and never been called by one, I ask people not to. Most people I know, respect what people like to be called by.

I think it makes a lot of sense. You see kids with these cute names, but you think 'wtf? what the happens when they are an adult?' or you look at poor kids burdened with a name that makes them sound like they are a 100. Some parents just love a name, or want to honor someone who passed away, but the name just doesn't suit a baby. Or a nickname is just plain used. Bill/William, Alexander/Alex........

And I have never found a name which couldn't be transformed into a nickname. And if not, people often get nicknames not related to their name.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
We will see and hear, if Victoria and Daniel use nicknames of their daughter. So far it isn´t announced that they will call her Stella or on some other nickname.

It was mentioned, that they would refer to her as Stella within the family.

Princess Victoria baby: Name of the new princess is announced - hellomagazine.com
Old 03-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It was mentioned, that they would refer to her as Stella within the family.

Princess Victoria baby: Name of the new princess is announced - hellomagazine.com
Yes, but only in this magazine. In swedish papers there wasn´t said anything about it. The king said the names and then that she is called Estelle.

Estelle is now also in the Bernadotte family tree
http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/...218000814.html
Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
Hasse, Lasse, Kurre, Kalle, Lisbeth, Magda, Marre, Stina..... Swedish names are very often made into nicknames.
None of them are royal names. The royal family have never used nicknames. Our King could easily be called Calle or Gurra but no one does that. Media is calling Victoria and Madeleine "Vickan" and "Madde" but they are not happy with that and they never uses that names in private life.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 AM
Majesty

i hope for a three generation photo later on with the king crown princess and princess
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Serene Highness

Didn´t they call Victoria Vickan, because that was how little Prince Carl Philipp was naming her when he was a little child and barely was able to speak? And this nickname remained with her for many many years?
Bye Bine
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
i hope for a three generation photo later on with the king crown princess and princess
I'm sure they will take a 3 generation photo on the day of the christening. I Hope they will take a 4 generation photo too. I know there are not 4 living generations in a straight line but i hope to see a photo of 4 generation Bernadottes with Princess Estelle, her mother Crown Princess Victoria, her father Carl XVI Gustaf and his uncle Count Carl Johan Bernadotte :)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221
Didn´t they call Victoria Vickan, because that was how little Prince Carl Philipp was naming her when he was a little child and barely was able to speak? And this nickname remained with her for many many years?
Bye Bine
Carl Philip said "Oja" to her as ā little child when he couldn't say Victoria :)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I'm sure they will take a 3 generation photo on the day of the christening. I Hope they will take a 4 generation photo too. I know there are not 4 living generations in a straight line but i hope to see a photo of 4 generation Bernadottes with Princess Estelle, her mother Crown Princess Victoria, her father Carl XVI Gustaf and his uncle Count Carl Johan Bernadotte :)
That may very well happen, given how close Victoria is to Carl Johan. And let's not forget Lillian! She may not be related by blood, but she's still part of the family.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
None of them are royal names. The royal family have never used nicknames. Our King could easily be called Calle or Gurra but no one does that. Media is calling Victoria and Madeleine "Vickan" and "Madde" but they are not happy with that and they never uses that names in private life.
The members of the royal family do have nicknames, as well as the members of their inner circle, Lussan, Noffan, Noppe och Trosan | Nyheter | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje but it's not names used by the public, just by their group of friends.

The king was known as Tjabo when he was younger, and the royal childrens' nicknames were Oja for Victoria, Lippy for Carl Philip and Len for Madeleine. So I guess that Estelle will have a nickname, but probably not Stella, perhaps Ella or Eja or Tell or some other "baby talk" name, given to her by the childen of Victoria's friends.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
And let's not forget Lillian! She may not be related by blood, but she's still part of the family.
I would love to see a photo with Lilian, but as she has Alzheimers and have had it for several years now I doubt there will be.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Usually nicknames aren't formally announced. They are just a name that close friends and family use for their loved ones.

Doesn't Victoria have a nickname? Vickan I believe? I read once that Madde and Carl Philip sometimes call her Vickan. Even Carl Philip has a nickname, Lippy I believe. I won't be surprised if they call her Stella in private.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

And Queen Silvia doesn't have a nickname?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Usually nicknames aren't formally announced. They are just a name that close friends and family use for their loved ones.

Doesn't Victoria have a nickname? Vickan I believe? I read once that Madde and Carl Philip sometimes call her Vickan. Even Carl Philip has a nickname, Lippy I believe. I won't be surprised if they call her Stella in private.
Vickan is a nickname given by the press. Victoria is called Oja by her family and close friends.

Svensk Damtidning tells in it´s paper version about Daniel´s love gift to Victoria - he surprised her at the hospital.
Svensk Damtidning avslöjar: Kärleksgåvan till kronprinsessan Victoria | Svensk Damtidning
Google translation
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Do we know if there will only be family pictures on occasion of the christening?

To me, Victoria & Daniel look very much alike anyway (like siblings) but when looking at the baby I think Estelle has the features of her father (what might completely change when she gets older).
Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Courtier

Wow, I see I'm 59 pages late in offering my CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I first read about it in PEOPLE magazine last week or so, and fell in love with that darling picture of Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel's beautiful baby girl.

That said, only now have I seen her name, and I have to be honest I'm a little disappointed. The entire name reminds me of a Spanish, not a Swedish one. Jmho. Though I'm sure it will grow on me over time. :)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Svensk Damtidning tells in its paper version about Daniel´s love gift to Victoria - he surprised her at the hospital.
Svensk Damtidning avslöjar: Kärleksgåvan till kronprinsessan Victoria | Svensk Damtidning
Google translation
In North America we call it a push present — a gift from a man to a woman after she's given birth to their child.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Serene Highness

But it doesn't say what it was. Does anyone know anything?