The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Commoner

I think Estelle is a beautiful name. I'm partial to it anyway as it was my great grandmother's middle name. Welcome, Princess Estelle!! :)

Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys82192 View Post
By the way, is the name "Ewa" could be of Polish origin? Ewa is the Polish name for the Biblical name "Eve".
No it's not of Polish origin, just a "fancier" way of spelling the Swedish name Eva.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:05 AM
Nobility

I just thought this morning that due to the attachmant Victoria has to Queen Beatrix because she is her godmother, she will maybe offer her in return to be godmother of baby Estelle in these difficult time? I think she is going to change her mind (dont think Queen Beatrix has been chosen initially) to offer a litlle confort.

What do you think?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
I just thought this morning that due to the attachmant Victoria has to Queen Beatrix because she is her godmother, she will maybe offer her in return to be godmother of baby Estelle in these difficult time? I think she is going to change her mind (dont think Queen Beatrix has been chosen initially) to offer a litlle confort.

What do you think?
I would think that in these difficult times for the famiy, Victoria and Daniel would be compassionate enough to realize that their main focus is and should be on Friso.

Another point to make would be the age of Queen Beatrix. Most godparents are of the same age group as the parents.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Estelle

It sounds magical - like out of a fantasy novel. Harry Potter! It was unexpected because even the public is traditional-thinking - but once you play with it, it sounds totally fine. Very elegant. Just pay attention to those 'esses'. And Stella is such a sweet name for a child, and a very womanly name for a lady.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
I'm having a hearty chuckle every time someone in this thread ties themselves in knots trying to find any explanation but the most obvious on why the newborn princess has "Mary" as part of her name.

Me too
Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia Elisabeth View Post
This is exactly how I feel. It is incredibly sad that it is that way, but Princess Estelle is not only her parents daughter, she is a daughter of Sweden.
In my opinon, Estelle is a pretty name, but not for a future queen.
For me it sort of feels like the CP couple isn't expecting her to become a queen at all, and that makes me feel sad. The monarchy in Sweden is already quite threatened, and I don't belive that it will last long.

Me too. There is not a single swedish name among their choices what is strange. The girl could have known as Estelle in private and chose her traditional (swedish) name as Queen someday.

V&D are not Joe Bloggs but future swedish Kings, and I am missing their responsibility for the institution somehow.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

I can´t understand this discussion about the name. Estelle is a beautiful name and suitable for a princess. Victoria and Daniel have wanted a child for so long and I´m sure they have been thinking the name very carefully. Estelle is their long-waited own star. The world is changing and the traditions can be broken. New traditions can be made. We should not live for the past, we should live for the future.
The name isn´t important, the person is. After about 50 years, when princess Estelle is a queen, the world will be very different. She has those 50 years to make her name known and respected, just as we respect for instance name Beatrix, because it is a name of a great person and a respected queen. Many of us also respect the name Mette-Marit (which is very common), because it is the name of a very lovely and dutiful crown princess.

Victoria and Daniel wished that instead a lot of gifts to Estelle, people would give money to their wedding foundation.
Hit går gåvorna till Estelle | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation
Old 02-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I can´t understand this discussion about the name. Estelle is a beautiful name and suitable for a princess. Victoria and Daniel have wanted a child for so long and I´m sure they have been thinking the name very carefully. Estelle is their long-waited own star. The world is changing and the traditions can be broken. New traditions can be made. We should not live for the past, we should live for the future.
The name isn´t important, the person is. After about 50 years, when princess Estelle is a queen, the world will be very different. She has those 50 years to make her name known and respected, just as we respect for instance name Beatrix, because it is a name of a great person and a respected queen. Many of us also respect the name Mette-Marit (which is very common), because it is the name of a very lovely and dutiful crown princess.

100% agree. I couldn't have expressed your sentiments any better!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
T And the names Beatrix, Silvia, and Victoria (1830s) though unique names to proceed the title Queen, did not have any problems in identifying, leading, and making their subjects proud.
Queen Victoria was Alexandrine Victoria.
Queen Desirée was Eugenie Desiree.
Future Queen Amalia is Catherina-Amalia.
Future Queen ? is Estelle Silvia.

So who says that prinsessan Estelle is not going to be drottning Silvia?

We don't know, don't we?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen´s royal reporter Johan T Lindwall about the Te Deum and the very proud grandparents, The Westlings. Also a body language expert commenting how everyone looks at the family photo taken after Te Deum.
Johan T Lindwall: Släkt var det här - tack vare Estelle | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation
Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

You know, I didn't like the name at all at first, but it's grown on me slowly and I think I really like it now. Learning about Countess Estelle helped- I really, really like that they chose a name with family history that wasn't an obvious choice. And it was a lovely way to honor family members that did some pretty amazing things.

It's gotten easier to say too :) I almost think we would have had that reaction to any name- sometimes things just take some getting used to.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Me too. There is not a single swedish name among their choices what is strange. The girl could have known as Estelle in private and chose her traditional (swedish) name as Queen someday.

V&D are not Joe Bloggs but future swedish Kings, and I am missing their responsibility for the institution somehow.
Not a single Swedish name?
Eva/Ewa is a name that 191000 Swedes have.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
And "Sylvia" is a Swedish name too... OK, the queens name is Silvia and the princess is named after her grandmother, but still: Sylvia is a Swedish name and "Silvia" is just a (latin) version of that name
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 02-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Aristocracy

Congratulations to Victoria and Daniel. Estelle is beautiful name!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
Duke said
Quote:
There is not a single swedish name among their choices what is strange.
Presumably meaning that the Swedish names used can be used as Estelle's regal name. Duke didn't say Estelle had no Swedish middle names.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Nobility

I didn't like the name Estelle when I first heard it as it is a bit different for a princess. I have though had a couple of days to get used to it and it is starting to grow on me.

I like that it is a name that suits an older person rather than a young child - we spend far more time as an adult and I have never understood people who choose names that only sound nice when someone is under twelve. By the time she becomes queen she will have had the name for so many years that it won't seem odd to have a Queen Estelle.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys82192 View Post
By the way, is the name "Ewa" could be of Polish origin? Ewa is the Polish name for the Biblical name "Eve".
I think form Ewa is Hebrew name, in Latin we have form Eva or Eve. On the official site it states that Daniel' mom is Ewa, this could be a reason to use that form.
I really like that new parents asked for charity donations instead a gifts, money can be used to help other children.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Oh, that is a fantastic idea. All the people passing judgement on a 2 day old name should post their own so we can judge if they sound skanky, stupid, unregal, low class, etc.!
As for Elizabeth Alexandra, I think that is a beautiful name mostly because of the combination of the names. To me Alexandra still sounds so regal to me.
You can call me Nicole.
When some incredibly wealthy nation offers me their throne, along with the attendant palaces, jewellery, chauffeur driven cars, 24 hr protection, exemption from paying tax, and staff of servants among other things, people can have any opinion they like on my name and the names of my heirs.

Royals are fundamentally different from the rest of us. They have different responsibilities and expectations. When we start saying things like, 'well you can name your child anything you like, why can't the Crown Princess of Sweden?', we start to chip away at the things that set these families apart from us which inevitably leads to 'well, what's the point of these people if they're just like the rest of us?'.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

The lullaby Victoria´s piano teacher Ingemar Thorell has composed for princess Estelle, was presented for the first time in TV4:
Nyhetsmorgon: Prinsessan Estelles vaggvisa - TV4 Play