The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Americans tend not to go for those names either, thanx for the false stereotype. I don't understand why there is a disassociation with the ideal that you can be different when choosing a name without being stupid. Princess Margaret had a unique name when she was born, Margaret Rose.
LOL, well apparently Americans dont go in for very nontraditional names afterall. I just checked and the 3 most popular girls names are Isabella, Sofia and Emma......all of which are used by European royals.
Since you have raised the point before what exactly is an example of a nontraditional different name that would be appropriate for a royal to use bearing in mind that they may one day be a monarch??

Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is Silvia a common Swedish name? I ask because I was shocked and happy to hear that there was a Queen Silvia in Europe as well as a Queen Beatrix, one of whom was born royal and with such a name. I tend to think that the idea that Estelle doesn't sound "queenly" is just due to the fact that such a name hasn't been common for a queen before. A real un-queenly name would be Bambi, Chelsy, Kitty, Lisa, Candace and others. Estelle, at least to me, seems respectable, not too much like an old lady name, yet with a fresh feeling about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
LOL, well apparently Americans dont go in for very nontraditional names afterall. I just checked and the 3 most popular girls names are Isabella, Sofia and Emma......all of which are used by European royals.
Since you have raised the point before what exactly is an example of a nontraditional different name that would be appropriate for a royal to use bearing in mind that they may one day be a monarch??
All the royal family has to do is look back in their history and STOP reusing Elizabeth, Charles, George and Mary every freakin generation. There are a few beautiful names of monarchs and consorts which have not been used enough, one of which is Victoria. Whether it was British sounding during her time, in the 21st century it is a name associated with a much loved British Queen. There is a way to be traditional without being boring.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles hadn't been used for centuries in the BRF so when Princess Elizabeth named her son it was far from traditional. The only Georges that I know of amongst current reigning royals is the Earl of St Andrews (son of the Duke of Kent) and a younger son of the hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein, the last Mary in the BRF was a daughter of George V and she died in 1965. The only current royal I know with that name is the Crown Princess of Denmark but she wasnt born a royal. The Duke of York names his daughters Beatrice and Eugenie which while not terribly traditional hark back to Queen Victorias daughters.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

You want to discuss this futher you will have to PM, me this is about Victoria's daughter, not the boredom that runs through the British royal families veins. I never said all of them were boring, Andrew himself has a unique but traditional name so I applaud him for naming his daughters something different. There have been 2 King Charles, 8 King Henry's, 4 King William's, 2 monarch's named Elizabeth, plus the Queen mother who Elizabeth II was named after and the fact that Elizabeth has to be one of the most overused British names in history. It has to be second to Mary. The only unique, non-traditional, non ancient sounding names in the family are Margaret Rose, Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie and the married names, Diana, Camilla, Sophie, Catherine. All I am saying is that out of a 1000yr history, repeating and reuising the overused names could be thrown out for at least a generation or two. There are other names in the history of British Kings and Queen's that could be resurrected to at least stop the boredom. Though they are not as bad as the constant Louis' in the French Royal history or the Danish back and forth of Frederick and Christian.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Is it a tradition to use the two grandmother names in the child name or was it by choice?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Is it a tradition to use the two grandmother names in the child name or was it by choice?
Crownprincess names includes Alice which came from both her grand mothers.

Princess Sibylla was also named Maria, Princess Lilian is also named May. They are both variations of Mary.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Herman Lindqvist said yesterday evening to Svenska Dagbladet that he is very sorry for Victoria, if he hurt her by criticizing the names. But he still stays in his words.
Historian Dick Harrison does not agree with Lindqvist. The choice of the name is certainly a breach of the Swedish tradition, but a choice that the crown princess couple had every right in the world to do, he says.
- It is a very surprising name, and it reveals that they wanted to add a personal touch to the name, just like they did with their wedding. It reflects an expression of will which you have to feel sympathy for, said Dick Harrison
- The traditional and almost obligatory previously been traditional names, the queen's name as Margaret, Kristina and Ulrika. Now they choose a new name, which is very unusual, but I think it's bull**** that they as parents can not choose any name they want. There are no rules as to what name they have to choose.
"Ledsen om jag srat henne" | Inrikes | SvD
Google translation

Photos from Te Deum
Te Deum-gudstjnsten i bilder | Svensk Damtidning
Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
You want to discuss this futher you will have to PM, me this is about Victoria's daughter, not the boredom that runs through the British royal families veins. I never said all of them were boring, Andrew himself has a unique but traditional name so I applaud him for naming his daughters something different. There have been 2 King Charles, 8 King Henry's, 4 King William's, 2 monarch's named Elizabeth, plus the Queen mother who Elizabeth II was named after and the fact that Elizabeth has to be one of the most overused British names in history. It has to be second to Mary. The only unique, non-traditional, non ancient sounding names in the family are Margaret Rose, Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie and the married names, Diana, Camilla, Sophie, Catherine. All I am saying is that out of a 1000yr history, repeating and reuising the overused names could be thrown out for at least a generation or two. There are other names in the history of British Kings and Queen's that could be resurrected to at least stop the boredom. Though they are not as bad as the constant Louis' in the French Royal history or the Danish back and forth of Frederick and Christian.
You call it boredom, some call it tradition. It's all a matter of opinion. Estelle is a unique name, and IMO it's also an awful name for a future Queen.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

On a side note, my friend has a young daughter names Estelle, and they call the little sweet toddler "Stella" for a nick name, which I think is sweet, especially during her childhood. Maybe the little princess will have a nickname too?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Folke Bernadotte, son of Estelle Bernadotte, says that he is very honoured about that the little princess was named Estelle. The kings mother Sibylla and Estelle were very good friends. He knows that Victoria has met Estelle in her childhood. Estelle is uncommon name in Sweden, and that tbe princess and future Queen was named Estelle is impressive, says Bernadotte.
”r vldigt hedrande” | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Lars Kruthof, an expert on the Swedish royal family and the Bernadotte dynasty was very surprised about the name. it feels like the monarchy in Sweden has been modernized since the wedding of Victoria and Daniel.
- It feels now as if the more common and normal Victoria and Daniel are, the better. Popularity is in the deal. I think it's great for the monarchy.
Experten: "Jag blev vldigt frvnad" | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation
Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 AM
Serene Highness

Now we're all waiting for a picture.
http://translate.google.com/translat...xpressen.se%2F
Old 02-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

The director of the information department, Bertil Ternert, said yesterday that they know that everyone is waiting for a photo of Estelle. He said that Victoria and Daniel were quick with the first photo (from the hospital) and that they will be quick with the next photo too.
Victorias stylist Tina Trnqvist was seen leaving the Haga Palace last evening. She said just that she works for the court and didnt want to speculate about the photo of the family.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Serene Highness

The little Princess' wikipedia page has been updated.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princ...f_stergtland
Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Crown Princess couple thanks for the congratulations
Kronprinsessparet tackar fr alla gratulationer - Sveriges Kungahus
Google translation

A video from Te Deum
http://vimeo.com/37419439
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Serene Highness

When does Princess Estelle get her own page in the SRF website? After the christening?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Royal Highness

Congratulations to the couple and loads of health and happiness to the little princess.
I didnt care for the name, but if it pleases the parents thats what is important right.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn
The Crown Princess couple thanks for the congratulations
Kronprinsessparet tackar fr alla gratulationer - Sveriges Kungahus
Google translation

A video from Te Deum
http://vimeo.com/37419439
Thanks for the video!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Aristocracy

Excuse my ignorance, but i keep seeing the name reported also as Estelle Silvia Dr Mary. Since i have seen it in more than one article i am wondering what that is...At this point it cannot be a copy and paste mistake, right?
Anyone knows?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Serene Highness

Do you mean copy paste in Google?
Anyway, her name is 100% Estelle Silvia EWA Mary, wok kym.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Reporter Lena Mellin in Aftonbladet:
"The significance of the name, star, is touching. So obviously child loving Victoria is at 34 not a young mother. Father Daniel is 38. That their first-born is a star in family heaven need not be doubted. That it is manifested even in her name is, as I said, heartwarming. But I'm easily moved, it should be recognized."
"But Mary? Although Victoria is friends with Crown Princess Mary of Denmark and godmother to her eldest son feels the election because of that so-so. Maybe Victoria and Daniel have thought of Mary Poppins?"
Viktigast att frldrarna ser dottern som en stjrna | Babylyckan | Nyheter | Aftonbladet