The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I suspect Victoria`s ``friendship`` with Herman will be going through a cold spell for awhile.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Courtier

Completely agree with Thena on everything. I'm sure no-one expected Madeleine to arrive immediately. She has her own life as well. And the christening is definitely something she cannot miss.

As for Mr. Lindqvist, that is not something you do to a friend. He should get off his high horse and apologize. He knows history, I'm surprised it hasn't taught him anything.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Aristocracy

Bilder från Victorias liv - tv4.se

I suppose this is what we will see come a few months. How old is the christening gown?

Så gick det till när kronprinsessan Victoria föddes - Nyhetsmorgon - klipp, bloggar och extramaterial - tv4.se

My Swedish is terrible because I almost never use it, so could someone give a translation? I caught on a few words. Just interested in what was being said.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
As for Mary as a godmother, if Victoria and Daniel have planned for either Hakon of Norway and/or Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands as one of the godfathers, it makes sence with Mary from Denmark.
This is what i think to, makes perfect sence.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Having the name Marie/Maria among baptismal names is a very common thing in European catholic aristocratic circles.
But the swedish royal family isn't catholic, so that can't be the reason why they choose Mary.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath View Post
As far as I know, the rules were changed last year, so that if William and Kate's first born is a girl, she will not be displaced by a future younger brother.
That's how I understood it as well. They changed law.

And congrats to Victoria and Daniel
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Courtier

What I was wondering was why they pronounced Mary so strangely. I thought they'd use the English pronounciation but at least when the King said it, it came out 'Maery' or something. Like the 'a' was pronounced like the Finnish letter 'ä' or to give a better example, like 'a' in the word 'cat'.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
What I was wondering was why they pronounced Mary so strangely. I thought they'd use the English pronounciation but at least when the King said it, it came out 'Maery' or something. Like the 'a' was pronounced like the Finnish letter 'ä' or to give a better example, like 'a' in the word 'cat'.

I think that it's cute, they say it like if it was in swedish, so it sounds like when you say ”I am going to marry a prince”.

I must admitt, that the name has grown on me. But, I still wish that they could have added a ”Margareta” or something so that she could do like the english kings and pick and choose what name she wanted to have.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Gentry

The name Estelle per se sounds very nice, but in France it has a rather show bizzy ring to it, not very aristocratic, I'm afraid... But from what I could see, it sounds really cute for the Swedes and that's all that matters.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Courtier

The name does grow on you slowly. I still have a problem with the rhythm of the name. Short names in the end make it sound unbalanced a bit. Estelle Silvia Ewa Margareta would've sounded better, even if the Ewa is left alone in the middle as a very short name.

I don't know if families have unspoken 'rules' when it comes to naming (which of course are broken every once in a while, also in my family). We've had a rule that name that starts with a vowel should not be preceded by a name that ends with the same vowel because it sounds a bit silly and makes it hard to pronounce (now that I think about it, it might apply to a name ending with a consonant as well). Other than that there are no rules but we have some names (with their variants) that have been used in several generations that we try to include.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Aristocracy

Estelle's mother will be Queen Victoria someday, so maybe, she'll pick Mary and be Queen Mary. King Carl is the nephew of Denmark's Queen Ingrid, who started out as Princess Ingrid of Sweden, and her mother, Margaret(Margareta in Sweden) was a granddaughter of Britain's Queen Vicky. So, all those European royal families are related somehow through Queen Victoria. Is Estelle's last name just Bernadotte or Bernadotte-Westling or Westling- Bernadotte, like some of the Windsors are Mountbatten-Windsor?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Well Mary isn't a Swedish name either so that would be odd. Also she likely will be in her 50's or more before coming to the throne so it would be odd to decide to reign under a different name after having your people know you as estelle for so long.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey 1904 View Post
Is Estelle's last name just Bernadotte or Bernadotte-Westling or Westling- Bernadotte, like some of the Windsors are Mountbatten-Windsor?
As she is born a princess she doesn't have any surname in Sweden, the same way as her mother doesn't have a surname. She is princess Estelle of Sweden of the royal Bernadotte dynasty.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina

Oh, I wasn't aware he's made several statements. He seems to think too highly of himself. It's a pity. I've always enjoyed his books and tv series and thought he was a nice man. Now I'm not sure. I thought he had just blurted something out without thinking once (which would of course be wrong too but still understandable in a way, we all make mistakes) but it seems this is something more. I was a little surprised yesterday when SVT called him in Paris for a comment on the birth and he seemed annoyed, almost angry that they interrupted him while he was writing his memoirs...

I'm quite starting to get used to Estelle and the rest of the names. In the end it is the family's choice and we must respect it. I don't blame the family if Mr. Lindqvist will be treated a bit icy from now on.
I agree. You don't say things like that to the media if you consider yourself as a friend of the family.
I liked Herman too but this "statements" nearly destroyed all my respect for him.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

What's wrong with the name Estelle? I think it's quite nice considering she is part of the European royal families who tend to name their kids gawd awful and boring names.
Just to clarify, am I reading correctly that the 3rd name is Ewa? Is that a Swedish name?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I thought he said it in English. I think it's the way people would say it where I live(United States, state of Michigan). I think people's accents influence how they will perceive his pronunciation.

I'm curious about other people's perceptions of the King's pronunciation.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
What's wrong with the name Estelle? I think it's quite nice considering she is part of the European royal families who tend to name their kids gawd awful and boring names.
Just to clarify, am I reading correctly that the 3rd name is Ewa? Is that a Swedish name?
Ewa is Daniels mothers name, the w is pronounced as v as in Eva.

European royals tend not to go in for trendy American names like Ivy Blue, Lemon, Apple, Tiffany, Paris, Coco, etc.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Americans tend not to go for those names either, thanx for the false stereotype. I don't understand why there is a disassociation with the ideal that you can be different when choosing a name without being stupid. Princess Margaret had a unique name when she was born, Margaret Rose.

P.S. can anyone point me to the post which mentions whatever this Herman guy said about the name of Victoria? The thread appears to have jumped from 14 to 40 in a day, and there is no way I can go through the whole thing.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I suspect Victoria`s ``friendship`` with Herman will be going through a cold spell for awhile.
Well, I had the impression, that he was completely surprised by this unusual name.
I guess, that he as a historian/teacher simply expected a "traditional name" from a former Swedish Queen (many of those names have been mentionned in the previous posts) -- and as the surprise was out as he was asked "live" in an immediate reaction he was saying the first thing that came to his mind.... as that was very harsh, to be honest.

How does the other Swedes/newspapers react about this name????

I must say: I was more than surprised, too, but the more often I hear the name the more I really like it.
Princess Estelle, Crown Princess Estelle, Queen Estelle, yeah, that sounds more and more fluent to me.
And: if we then have a face to the name (I hope for some pictures today) , everybody will get used to it soon.
BYe Bine
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
Americans tend not to go for those names either, thanx for the false stereotype.
I had to laugh at the implication (as I read it) that "Estelle" is a "trendy, American" name. In the 1920s maybe... : )

Closed Thread