The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

My goodness, the nastiness over this little newborn's name!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23

But Silvia is NOT a German name. It's used in Germany, but it's actually Latin and was first mentioned in Roman mythology. I guess the male form Silvius is the original form of the name. Maybe someone should tell Mr. Lindqvist. Ewa is nice name - I would have even liked it as a first name.
I don't think the royal family will speak to him anymore after this day

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I too think Herman Lindqvist exaggerating. I'm not fond of the name, but it's not THAT bad. I like the idea that the little Princess could give this name a new image.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23
I too think Herman Lindqvist is exaggerating. I'm not fond of the name, but it's not THAT bad. I like the idea that the little Princess could give this name a new image.
I agree. I had hoped for a more traditional name too but his reaction was just out of proportion. After all, they didn't name the baby Spiderpig.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Could Mary come from Princess Lilian? Her name is Lilian May. The month of May is considered Mary's month in religious calendars.
I guess that's stretching it a bit... Mary is most probably to honour her godmother. No one doubts now that Mary of Denmark will be chosen.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sorry some people need to get a grip. These are the names that Victoria and Daniel liked and wanted for their child just like we all name our children I'm sure those names mean something to them. Not liking the name won't change it so everyone is going to have to get used to it that is her name.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Aristocracy

There are so many negative comments about the baby's name! I understand that some people are disappointed, but it is the parents' right to name their child. Estelle is a nod towards Silvia's Brazilian ancestry, perhaps. Her maternal grandfather was Artur Floriano de Toledo (1873–1935), a descendant of King Afonso III of Portugal and his concubine Maria Peres de Enxara. Could Mary come from Maria?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Aristocracy

Estelle - Well I certainly did not see that one coming. First time I heard it I looked like this . But it has grown on me as the hours has passed. Now I rather like it.

I know a lot of you would have liked a more historical name, and I do like those as well.
However I also find it amusing when the royals totally surprises us like the names Felix, Henrik & Vincent have done here in Denmark.

Besides a name has to start somewhere to become historical. There was a "first one" even for names like Kristina, Ulrika, Lilian...
Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
I'm sorry some people need to get a grip. These are the names that Victoria and Daniel liked and wanted for their child just like we all name our children I'm sure those names mean something to them. Not liking the name won't change it so everyone is going to have to get used to it that is her name.
Exactly princess carmen! So much negative energy towards the little princess the day after she is born!
Just today we learned the terrible news concerning Prince Friso, we should be glad and thankful that she is healthy baby and stop, pardon my language but, bitching about her name!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

About the explanation that the name comes from Estelle, the wife of Folke Bernadotte:
Kan vara en hyllning till Folke Bernadotte | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation
Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Estelle! That's a surprising choice - I wonder where they got that from? I have to admit it's not my cup of tea; to me, it seems like one of those unappealing grandma names. BUT I also remember my grandmother being appalled at one of my cousins being named 'Isabella' years ago now - she couldn't understand why anyone would give a baby such an ugly, old fashioned name, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't the only one with that opinion. And now of course you can't shake a stick without hitting a little Isabella/Isabelle/Stella/Ella, etc, at least in this part of the world.

It wouldn't surprise if we start seeing more Estelles and Adeles and similar sounding names over the next couple of years because of the huge popularity of the singer Adele.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Courtier

According to german television Estelle means little star.
Maybe that's the reason for this name
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

On German TV they just said that the name sounds like one of the nightclub acquaintances of Carl Gustaf
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
On German TV they just said that the name sounds like one of the nightclub acquaintances of Carl Gustaf

Ooooh! Thant's below the belt!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
This is so rude and mean. To involve an innocent baby into the King's troubles is disgusting.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
About the explanation that the name comes from Estelle, the wife of Folke Bernadotte:
Kan vara en hyllning till Folke Bernadotte | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation
So wonderful to learn about this man, saving concentration camp prisioners and assasinated attempting to find a peace in the 1948 Palestine=Israeli War.
So sad that 2 of their children died in childhood.
So that makes him the King's great great uncle?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Courtier

I like the names - Estelle is unusual but the more I say it the more I like it. The other two names are a tribute to the baby's grandmothers which is a very nice gesture. I do not know why Mary - but I always like it.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Which TV-station was this? A private?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi

This is so rude and mean. To involve an innocent baby into the King's troubles is disgusting.
Quite right. As far as I'm concerned, The King has admitted his wrongs and moved on and I think it is shameful and disrespectful to use Princess Estelle as a media tool to insult him in such a way. This is disgraceful.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness

The Marshal of the Realm announces the Princess' name and titles.
Riksmarskalken presenterar prinsessans namn - Rapport | SVT Play

I'd love to know what they're saying.

Closed Thread