The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Serene Highness

Estelle? Queen Estelle? How do the Swedish pronounce that? Is it like 'Estellah/Stellah' in English - with the 'uh' or 'ah' sound at the end? Or is it with a silent 'e' as 'Estell/Stell'? Or is there some other manner of pronunciation?

Queen Estell - I dunno.

Queen Estellah - sounds okay. Sounds okay. Princess Estellah – a little lisp there 'ss-es' but okay.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina View Post
Exactly my thought too

Add me to the list.
I don't like that name at all.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Estelle is certainly not an upper class name in the UK. It would be considered similar to the Chantals and Tracys of this world. The landlady of the Rovers Returns pub on Coronation Street is called Stella and I can't help but think of her every time I read the princess's name.

It would be like William and Kate deciding to call their firstborn Trevor or Kevin. It just would not happen.

Upper class parents in the UK tend to go for old fashioned names. For example, the most popular boys names for parents who announced their sons' birth in The Times last year were William and Harry.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

great name!!!! at last a name original!
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't really like the name... Estelle... who knows; maybe the name will grow to us.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Majesty

is princess lilians middle name mary?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
My first association was with Estelle Getty. "Sophia" on the Golden Girls.
Yes, unfortunately I made the same leap as well. I'm not a fan of this name at all, but as long as she's a healthy baby that's all that matters. I wish her a lifetime of happiness and joy.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

I say let the actions of the princess define her. not some prejudices about the girl.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post

It is a mixture out of "Cindy of Marzahn" or the "Kevinismus"-topic and the "Golden Girls", which does not make it better. And somehow Estelle reminds me of a character in "the Nanny" (her granny):
Yetta Rosenberg - The Nanny Characters - ShareTV
LoooooL! Now that's a riot!

But yes, I can not get the "Kevinismus thought" out of my head here either.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

When I first heard it
... but the names has grown on me, Estelle Bernadotte sounds unbelievably cute. Princess Estelle and Crown Princess Estelle also has a ring to it, Queen Estelle will probably take some time getting used to, but hopefully it wont be relevant to call her Queen Estelle for quite some time.

I was hoping that Lilian was included in the name, that would have been a nice homage to Princess Lilian. I'm pretty sure that CP Mary will be a godmother

Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Estelle is certainly not an upper class name in the UK. It would be considered similar to the Chantals and Tracys of this world. The landlady of the Rovers Returns pub on Coronation Street is called Stella and I can't help but think of her every time I read the princess's name.

It would be like William and Kate deciding to call their firstborn Trevor or Kevin. It just would not happen.

Upper class parents in the UK tend to go for old fashioned names. For example, the most popular boys names for parents who announced their sons' birth in The Times last year were William and Harry.
Kevin is considered a bit trashy in UK, too? Wow, didn't know that (I knew it wasn't used by the upper class, though). I'm sure William and Kate will give their children lovely traditional names, BTW. I like the names the British upper class usually uses for their children A LOT!

Sorry for being a bit Off Topic.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I like the name Estelle. It is an Old French name which was derived from the Latin stella, meaning "star". In the U.S., the name is pronounced Es-tell. I imagine the pronounciation of the baby's name will be Es-tel-ah, in the Latin tradition. I think it is a lovely name. She can change it when she ascends, or use one of her other names if she doesn't like it.

Again, congratulations to Victoria, Daniel and the King and Queen.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Estelle? Queen Estelle? How do the Swedish pronounce that? Is it like 'Estellah/Stellah' in English - with the 'uh' or 'ah' sound at the end? Or is it with a silent 'e' as 'Estell/Stell'? Or is there some other manner of pronunciation?

Queen Estell - I dunno.

Queen Estellah - sounds okay. Sounds okay. Princess Estellah – a little lisp there 'ss-es' but okay.
They pronounce it "Estell".
I don't like it, it sounds so trashy.

A swedish historian wrote an article in the swedish equlation of "The Sun".
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/ba...cle14425349.ab

Translated:

Quote:
- It's really unexpected and not appropriate, Herman Lindqvist said.
The new princess has just gotten her name.
It's really unexpected and not appropriate that a future queen of Sweden will be named Estelle. It's against all tradition and experience. The only Estelle in the Swedish Royal House History is not swedish but an american millionaire daughter who married Folke Bernadotte. (NOTE from Natalia Elisabeth: not really true, Estelle is the name of CP Victorias cousins daughter) From what I know the CP has never met her, Herman Lindqvist tells Aftonbladet.
In Aftonbladets live-coverage the author contiuned to be horrified about the name.
- It sounds like the name of a night-club queen. It is against all swedish tradtions.
Herman Lindqvist belongs in CP Victorias closets circle, and he have been her history teacher and written a book about her.
They have not discussed names, he say.

Herman Lindqvist say that he understands that the CP couple have chosen the name because "they like it."
- But this is a part in abolishing the monarchy. Estelle is not an appropriate name for a future swedish sovereign and queen.
He doesn't like the other names either.
- It's nothing wrong with Ewa, but it's not a royal name. I don't understand "Mary" either, the swedish version is Maria.
Sorry for my english, and if this has already been coverred.

I wish they could've done CP Frederik and CP Mary of Denmark made with Vincent (making Frederik a middlename) if she had to be named Estelle.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

i little Princess ...how wonderful
can't wait to see her pics.congratulations to the happy blessed Parents.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

My, my. I hope no one here is named Estelle. Could be very hurtful. We don't know what our real names are and I am sure that these boards aren't populated only with people of elegant name.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Courtier

The name Estelle really surprised me, I think I'll have to get used to it so far it doesn't sound very regal to me nor very "young" (I imagine an old lady when I hear the name, to be honest).
I hope she will have a cute nickname like Stella or something else.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
It is exactly the same in Germany. Elisabeth, Maximilian, Alexander and Mathilda yes, but Kevin, Justin, Chantal and Jolie no, when you consider yourself upper middle-class or upper class. That is what i meant with "Kevinismus"-topic.

(from german wiki: Kevinismus:Due to the unusually sudden popularity of the name came from the idea of Kevin Kevinismus (by first name or Chantalismus Chantal ) for jokingly referred to as disease propensity of parents to their children unusual, exotic names to give [4] [5] . "That sounds kevinistisch" says about Will Smith Men in Black II to his ex-partner who lives under the alias Kevin Brown.
One of the University of Oldenburg wrote master's thesis [6] According to generate specific names of students actually prejudices on the side of teachers. The name Kevin put some close to the teachers that the student had behavioral disorders as well as less powerful and more from the lower class get. Whether or not a student but will also be treated worse, did not work out coherently. [7]

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FKevinismus%23.E2.80.9EKevinismus.E2.80.9C
Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

The king pronounced it Estell.
About Herman Lindqvist, he has written a lot of books about royals, even a book of Victoria. He has always acted like a wise, old professor and gentleman. This outburst of that the name is horrible surprised me. One royal expert, Roger Lundgren, said at Aftonbladet´s studio that Lindqvist shouldn´t have been so harsh and rude, and that it could affect to Lindqvist´s work.
After all, the king must accept the name before it is published. Did Lindqvist think about that at all, and how his outburst could affect to his work and his position. He was invited to Victoria´s and Daniel´s wedding and he has always presented himself as a friend and admirer of Victoria.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Aristocracy

Oh, the name is horrible I was so excited yesterday (late congratulations to Victoria and Daniel from me ) and so disappointed today. I think among all the names of children of the Crown Prince couples this is the worst. Someone could say that Victoria and Daniel had the right to choose whatever name they liked, but I don`t agree, they are simply not a normal couple, they should choose a royal name fit for a future queen Queen Estelle of Sweden? Really?
And the other names don`t match each other at all. Plus it`s like Silvia is German, Ewa Polish (I know it`s after Daniel`s mother, but in this spelling is does look Polish to me, I can`t help it) and Mary English. And the baby is a Swedish princess... weird.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kevin or Trevor, like Estelle or Tracy, are not trashy so much as they're just a bit naff. Kind of 1970s style. One of my middle names is Daphne, for instance, and I find it a bit embarrassing to be honest.

I'm surprised they didn't give the little princess a more regal first name and Estelle as a middle name. They could refer to her as Estelle, but ensure that the more royal name would be used in formal settings.

Closed Thread