The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Aristocracy

Estelle- ooooh how could they . Can you imagine a Queen Estelle?

I'm not. I think it's terrible. It reminds me of an aged, thin, French prostitute with lipstick on her teeth and a fuzzy wig. I'm sorry.

Also strange is to me, that the name is not at all Swedish.

Can you imagine the siblings are called?

After all is now clear who is godmother: Mary of Denmark

Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm surprised by their choice of name and still have get used to it. I personally preferred a more traditional name and I have to confess that I'm disappointed they didn't go for a Swedish name as first name.
Anyway, all the best to little Princess Estelle and their parents, hoping for pictures soon :)

Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Will the first picture of the little princess be published today?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Estelle was my husband's grandmother's name and Aunt's name. Here in the US it is a very old fashioned name, along the lines of Helen, Minnie, Martha, Beatrice....but seems to be resurrected now as Stella, which has become a very hot, trendy new name in the past couple of years.
Because my husband's father and grandfather both married very late in life, this grandmother Estelle was born in the late 1800's. She was a VERY regal, cultured and well traveled lady, as was my husband's Aunt Estelle who was presented to the Court of St. James in 1930.
I was going to used the name if we had a girl, only boys however.
The name seems to have a lot of family and precedence in the SWF.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Te Deum religious service
Queen Silvia can't stop smiling , finally she is grandmother
daylife gallery
Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Gentry

I like the name. I would guess it is one that is going to come back into fashion.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

I did not realize Folke Bernadotte's wife was born in Pleasantville- I grew up just a few miles away! Now I am starting to feel better about the name "Estelle." Although I found I was already getting used to it, after a few hours. It's not a bad name, really- just very unexpected!

Seeing how thrilled Victoria and Daniel are, and keeping in mind what is going on in the Netherlands, I guess a non-traditional baby name does not seem like such a big deal, after all...
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post

I'm not. I think it's terrible. It reminds me of an aged, thin, French prostitute with lipstick on her teeth and a fuzzy wig. I'm sorry.

Exactly my thought too
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post

Ha ha. Isn't it funny how different names are seen in different countries? I didn't know that Estelle was quite popular and considered an old-fashioned name in England and in the US. But when I think about it Estelle does sound classy/posh when pronounced with a British accent. Not sure about Sweden, though. But if the parents are happy and the people of Sweden are okay with it, so be it I think.

In Germany of course names like Chantal or Kevin and the like are considered trashy. Not that the names ARE trashy, but they don't sound good there and are used only by rather illiterate people. I actually thought it was the same in Sweden, Spain and some other European countries.

However, now that I've read it so often today the name is beginning to grow on me. I would have preferred a traditional one though. I can understand that Victoria and Daniel wanted to choose something unique, but as the girl is going to be Queen of Sweden a Nordic name would have been nice.

Can't wait for the first pictures of little Princess Estelle now! When are the pics to be expected?? (sorry if this was asked before)
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Majesty

and for me intrested in jewllery i would love to see queen sofias of sweden tiara later worn by estelle bernadotte worn by queen estelle of sweden my fingers crossed
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The look on daniel's face cracks me up. He looks pleased as punch!

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7950/dcpm.jpg

Me too. I laughed out loud. He looks about to burst with pride and happiness.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Nobility

Jag tycker om namnet!!!! Estelle is really great as name! I'm thinking: poor, poor Christian with all this girls that will become queens

Queen Mathilde
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Courtier

Congratulations to all and I'm sure baby Estelle is totally gorgeous! With the sad news from Holland this morning this is a welcome blessing!
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
All I can think of is Estelle Getty who played Sophia on Golden Girls. Sophia was a riot! Perhaps silliness runs through little Estelle's bones...
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
In Germany of course names like Chantal or Kevin and the like are considered trashy. Not that the names ARE trashy, but they don't sound good there and are used only by rather illiterate people. I actually thought it was the same in Sweden, Spain and some other European countries.

It is a mixture out of "Cindy of Marzahn" or the "Kevinismus"-topic and the "Golden Girls", which does not make it better. And somehow Estelle reminds me of a character in "the Nanny" (her granny):
http://sharetv.org/shows/the_nanny/cast/yetta_rosenberg
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

A video of the king announcing the dukedom, the names and talking about their visit to see little Estelle yesterday.
LIVE: Senaste nytt om kungababyn | Kungligt live | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje
Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Majesty

I am very suprised by the name.Still,I think it's a very pretty name.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like the name Estelle but just can't picture it on a Queen of Sweden! But I guess like with all children they grow and make the name their own! When little Josephine of Denmark was named I thought it was a terrible choice, like an old lady name, but now I can't picture her as anything else!

If she looks like her mother then she will be adorable.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Sorry, it´s just mt opinion, but the name sound wrong to me. I think "Estelle" is quite lovely, but "Princess Estelle" is awful and "Queen Estelle" is even worse.
Silvia and Ewa are of course nice in honour of the grandmothers, but they sound strange after "Estelle", like if they didn´t match. And after all that, Mary in English... quite odd combination.
I´m quite dissapointed by the name, but I guess it´ll grow up on me

Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Majesty

what is the word in denmark do they talk about Estelle having a name after the danish crown princess Mary

Closed Thread